Chief Ford Designer Talks Next F-150 Design

FordAtlasConcept 2 II

Ford Motor Co. Vice President of Design J Mays likens the design challenges of the next-generation F-150 to that of a skyscraper builder. Pickup trucks, he said, need to be designed for purpose-driven lives, as well as have some style. As you might expect, the trick is balancing futuristic technology — like we saw on last year's Ford Atlas concept — with styling cues that current F-150 owners will recognize.

Mays told the New York Daily News that pickup trucks will always be a "no-nonsense" necessity, and the design of the next F-150 is likely to incorporate that fact. Unfortunately, Mays did not provide much information about the coming 2015 Ford F-150, which many are expecting to debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January.

FordAtlasConcept 1 II

Comments

Why dont they just build one exactly like this one? .....and first!

Awesome, macho appearance. If the final product looks anything like the above, Ford will have a huge winner!
Now give me an ethanol-injected Bobcat engine option!!!!

Meeh. Exterior is hiding dated technology.

I hope they don't follow GM's old mistake and use a 3-piece front bumper. It actually looks good here, but I still prefer a single piece.

You know, I really don't care what it looks like as long as it can get me and my stuff from point A to point B without breaking down and costing me an arm and a leg to purchase and operate.

Maybe it's just me, but what's up with the grille? The way the center bar overlaps the "nostrils" makes it look like a bull with a ring through the nose. Maybe intentional to look "tough" but it just looks funny to me.

I don't know, it looks kinda cool but then again I don't know if I like that front end.

It looks like their Super Duty which has not changed in years, both underneath and appearance. Ford needs a new look because their trucks are weak looking.

A note to, well, pretty much everyone who's commented here*:

These pictures are of the Ford Atlas concept The Ford Atlas concept is not, I repeat, not the 2015 Ford F-150. The 2015 F-150 will probably share some styling cues with the Atlas, but will not look exactly like it. (I certainly hope it doesn't, anyway. More useless macho posturing is *just* what we need right now.) The 2016 Super Duty might draw some styling from it as well, but it will definitely need to look different from the same basic styling that's been used since 1999. And that's all really a moot point, anyway, since the pictures of the Atlas are here _only_to_provide_a_visual_ to this otherwise inconsequential piece.

Now, to comment on the article itself:
"Mays told the New York Daily News that pickup trucks will always be a 'no-nonsense' necessity..." If that's the truth, why is anybody, not just Ford, offering anything nicer than a base-model work truck? I don't really mind the existence of $50K+ Super Mega Limited Texas Bling Edition "trucks," but don't anyone pretend for an *instant* that they're a "no-nonsense" work vehicle. To quote Judge Judy, "Don't crap in my cappuccino and tell me it's nutmeg!"

But you know what? We've only got ourselves into this mess, fellas. I mean, why would anyone in their right mind buy a brand-new F-150 or other half-ton as a work vehicle for over $25K when they could get a 20-year-old Ford or Chevy (sorry Dodge, your pickups weren't all that good in 1993, except for the Cummins) that's in "good enough" shape for work for maybe no more than $7K?

*Except, of course, the countless trolls that infest this site; they're not even worth mentioning, and even just acknowledging their existence means they've already w--
...Dammit.

That thing looks like it's trying to overcompensate.

So far Ford has been picking up last place with fuel economy. We'll see if a little diesel is in the works.

@Mark Williams, when will you delete and ban the disgusting and pathetic comments like those from Hemi V8?

GUTS

GLORY

RAM!!!

Alex you mad bro that the truth came out? big cry baby go suck on your ford tail pipe.

Posted by: Alex | Oct 21, 2013 10:48:49 AM

HEMI V8 Did not make these comments. Some bored clown
did.

Stay on topic. We want to hear your opinions and thoughts, but please only comment about the specified topic in the blog post.

Blah, just looks like a heavily messaged version of the current truck. Ford designers lost their creativity years ago.

No, offense, Jason, but giving a generic "stay on topic" message is like the parents who half-heartedly mumble "Stop that" while their children run rampant through a McDonald's. There needs to be some force behind the message. Don't be like the dad who threatens to "turn this car around"--be like the old man who threatens to "come back there and put the fear of God into you"--and then do it!

The commentors, and you know who you are, need to grow up and stop acting like a bunch of Children. If you a valid contribution or opinion then post it, but don't post meaningless comments or go on a bashing rampage on this site.

ford sucks haven't looked good since 1993-1996

Posted by: johnny doe | Oct 21, 2013 10:04:55 AM

Well said johnny doe. Ford is in last place in the looks department as far as I am concerned. Heavily discounted fleet sales are the only thing keeping Ford up in the sales department. No private owner wants them.

I hope it doesn't look like the Atlas concept because that thing is ugly to me because it looks like Ford made the front end a combination of Ram HD and Super Duty. It has the Super Duty really boxy front end, the Ram HD trapezoidal grill and instead of the Ram HD cross-haired mesh grill they used a big chrome bar. It would be all right to me if they would change the shape of the grille as I don't think you should put a trapezoidal grill on a really boxy nose.

IS IT JUST ME OR LOOKING AT BOTH PICTURES ABOVE FROM THE SIDE IT KINDA LOOKS LIKE A RAM TRUCK.?

Posted by: karl | Oct 21, 2013 12:47:22 PM

Yes it does. Good observation. Like FordTrUcks1, I am really disappointed in this truck.

Well Ram has staid they copied the Ford so yea, you could see a little Ram in the Ford since the Ram copied Ford back in 2009 when they lowered the rocker panels and raised the sheet metal. They did it to give it a bulker look like the Ford.

Posted by: Frank | Oct 21, 2013 1:12:05 PM

It looks like a troll mobile to me.......something that you would be very comfortable in Frank, THE KING OF THE TROLLS.

FYI, Frank lives with his parents in their basement and drives a vintage Pinto station wagon that burns 1 qt. of oil every hour. The rust holes are so big in the floor board that he can put his feet on the ground while sitting in the car. It is known around town as the Fred Flinstone mobile.

No I drive a Ram 1500 Regular cab.

This thing looks nothing like a ram! Boxy front end comes from the Super Duty. AD says it got it's trapezoidal grille from Ram HD. Problem with that is, Ram HD doesn't have a trpezoidal front end. The headlights resemble the Super Duties from 08 thru 10. No inspiration from Ram on this truck!

Editor, if everyone is frothing over this concepts appearance then, why would Ford not build it as it is? Business is supposed to give the customer what he wants, isn't it?

I do work two jobs about 65 hours plus a week, oh and I don't live at home, I just have free time at my desk job.

it's a shame that the F150 concept truck will not be the new 2015 f150 . I always find the production model is always a big let down.

I do like the built in roof rack, that will be handy for hauling long stuff home from Home Depot.

@Ken: Well, we've established that there are children who post here regularly. As for women, I'd assume that any female readers of PUTC are usually turned away by the juvenile nature of the comments section.

And I usually try to stay pretty clean; I just felt that using "darn it" would seem too milquetoast, and "dang it" would be a little too, I don't know, not the right word. But I'm not really mad at all; I'm assuming your comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek.

Anyway, I'm glad that at least someone took the time to read my comments.

The cab doors, windshield rake & rear quarters have some RAM styling in them.
It's not slab sided like the F150 is now.
The front end is 100% Ford.

Anyway, I'm glad that at least someone took the time to read my comments.
Posted by: Snapdragon McFisticuff | Oct 21, 2013 2:46:58 PM

What kind of S/N is that anyway, Snapdragon? It sort of sounds feminine, kind of like me to be honest!! LMAO

Please stop using my name, Frank is already taken.

The skyscraper metaphor does not sit well with me.
Does that mean the next F150 will be taller and boxier than the current one?
or does that mean it will continue to be an evolution of the current and previous F150?
You can only infuse so much "personality" into a skyscraper.

As far as 'no-nonsense' necessity..." , Snapdragon McFisticuff sums it up nicely. That would mean 1/2 of Ford's sales would be lost since the next F150 being 'no-nonsense' necessity..." will have a vinyl bench seat, 2 doors, an 8 foot box, handcrank windows, no AC, and chrome that could protect the space shuttle upon re-entry (as opposed to the cheap sh!t that everyone uses).
Ain't gonna happen since Ford is supposed to be adding eight yes "8" more models to the F150 line.
Unless that happens to be 8 models below the XL.

Any of the bloggers on this site actually remember that the XL was the mid level trim NOT the base model at Ford decades ago?

I got to believe that if this comes to production at or near what the pictures reflect we may being witnessing the end to the two body style business model Ford presently uses.
This body style could be used for the F-150 on up.
Only time will tell if my theory comes true.

Good for Ford. Far better looking truck and quality built over it's Chevrolet counterpart. It's a shame Chevrolet is associated with GM-GMC-Government Motors-GovtMoCo but it is.

GM sucks etc is a commonplace search on Google. I handle their tech. Once upon a time back in the late 50's the feds were going to split up GM from Chevrolet due to a monopoly of the market. If only that had come to pass. I hate GM and the rest of their subsidiaries. Long live Ford now.

@Jim
I respect your opinion but what you said is not what I said
I said the shape of Ram HD's grill which is on the front end (nose) is more trapezoidal http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Isosceles_trapezoid.jpg and http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2013-Dodge-Ram-HD-Long-Cab-Front.jpg not the shape of the front end (nose). The current F-Series pickups have a boxy front end (nose) with a rectangular shaped grill http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2013/163_news130107_2013_ford_f_150_hid_headlights/photo_07.html. Now take a close look at the Atlas above the grill on the front end (nose) is no longer rectangular.

Looks like they took a ram and spashed the front end into a concrete wall and called it a Ford.

@Lou
I would like to see some of the dimensions of the next F-150.

It will be lighter, larger and use smaller engines I would imagine.

CAFE itself might reduce the number of full size trucks.

I would like to see what Ford is working on outside of the full size trucks.

They would be working on something. A Transit Connect pickup or a midsizer (which CAFE has a larger impact on).

Don't mention the 'C' tax word ;)

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Where does Ram get some design ques from? It's interesting where ideas originate.

In other news, the new Silverado is selling "very poorly".

The price increase is like a kick in the head says one dealer.

Ford, GM, RAM, Toyota ,Nissan.... I think this next generation of trucks especially 1/2 ton will be the last days of the large truck.

we can all argue this is better then that, but we are headed for a global truck faster then most of us realize and no where near the size of todays 1/2 tons.

The frontend looks over styled, but whatever. Almost like designers don't know when to stop.

@ Lou_BC: I think I know what source you're talking about that says there will be 8 new models--and I think you might be a little mistaken. If I remember correctly (and maybe I don't), it said that by 2015 there would be 8 new models in the F-Series. I'm assuming it's like this: F-750 & 650 medium-duty trucks, F-550 and 450 medium-duty small trucks, F-350 and 250 heavy-duty pickups, F-150 medium-duty pickup, and...hopefully an F-100 light-duty pickup?

I just made up those designations for the sake of distinguishing between models; there's no actual official classification behind the terms.

But what I think you might be mistaken about is that, AFAIK, there's not 8 new _trim_levels_ of F-150 coming out in 2015. That would make no sense (to me, at least)--Ford has things worked out pretty good with the 10/11 trim levels (if you consider FX2/4 to be separate) that they have now. If you could provide the link, then we could both get things sorted out.

And yes, I was too young to really remember it, but the 1997 models were the last to have a Standard trim level below XL. It was a lot like the Custom of the "olden days" in the 60's, 70's, and 80's...very little was actually standard equipment, anything you wanted to add was a "custom" order. But 1997 was pretty much the end of really customized-from-the-factory pickups once Ford (and other manufacturers) realized they could make more money by only offering certain options with a trim package.

This truck look Locke gmc terrain front design????

Big Al from Oz , what is the make of that red truck mate ? Cheers

It has a ring through its nose.

I think they need to worry more about updating the Super Duty than the F150. The current F150 looks fine, a little weak, but fine, and they just redesigned the front end like they always do. The body of the 150 is, what, 10 years old? The Super Duty body and bed is at 15 years though. Yikes. Both are too old, but the Super Duty's age is just rediculous in my opinion. A redesign on both couldn't come soon enough. And by redesign I mean a complete redesign, not just a new front clip! Hurry up Ford!

@Daffyduck
It's a Korean pickup. They have a funny name Ssyangyong.

Here's a link to a review done last year on them.

Their average FE in US gallons is about 33mpg. On the highway they will get nearly 40mpg.

The highest spec model comes with quite an array of electronic aids and leather etc. In Australia they are about $38k recommended, but you can get them down to $33k.

In US dollars they would convert to $23k recommneded and under $20k discounted. Not bad for a 4x4 hi/lo range dual cab with leather, diesel (150hp/280ftlb) and all of the electronic goodies you can think of.