(Lariat FX4 above)
The 2015 Ford F-150 debuting at the 2014 North American International Auto Show in Detroit will carry a modified trim package strategy. Instead of the 11 unique trim packages available for the 2014 model year, the new lineup for the half-ton pickup truck is somewhat simplified. Here's the breakdown:
- XL: This is the base model pickup with many standard features with a choice of two appearance packages: Chrome or Sport.
- XLT: This model offers even more standard features with a unique grille; it also offers Chrome or monochromatic Sport appearance package options.
- Lariat: This well-equipped model has loads of new features, a unique grille and offers Chrome or Sport appearance packages.
- King Ranch: A very well-quipped trim, King Ranch has unique features inside and out, a dedicated grille and will offer a polished Chrome appearance package option.
- Platinum: This continues as the top-of-the-line premium trim package offering the most luxurious new cabin design with the highest-grade materials seen in the segment.
Here's Ford's official statement: "When the all-new 2015 Ford F-150 goes on sale late this year, it will continue the tradition of offering the broadest selection of trim levels in the full-size pickup segment." We heard it time and time again from design and engineering teams — they know this truck, at every level, needs to set a new standard.
We should note that the FX4 option package will continue to be available on just about anything offered in four-wheel drive and include the carryover electronically locking rear differential, extra under-carriage skid plating and specially tuned shocks. In some upper-level trim packages, this equipment will already be included.
Finally, nothing has been said about the fate of the SVT Raptor and whether it will get the new aluminum body treatment, new frame tweaks or a version of the existing 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine (which would be an interesting first for the Raptor). At this point Ford will continue to run the existing design on the production line, with all Raptors equipped with the 6.2-liter V-8. Our guess is Ford will make another big announcement about the Raptor in the near future.
(Platinum 4x4 above)