Pickup truck manufacturers are clever. They don't mind letting us know how many pickup trucks they sell each month in total, but they don't offer us a breakdown of which specific models are selling better than others. That's why we never know exactly how many Ram 2500 Power Wagons, Ford F-150 SVT Raptors or Toyota Tacoma Access Cab four-cylinder 4x2s are sold in a given month. For that information, we typically have to go to third-party sources that charge a fee to get state-by-state and U.S. total sales numbers based on actual state registrations.
Thankfully, our sibling site Cars.com has access to some of that data, so we were able to pull out some interesting information about the fastest-selling vehicles for April.
These particular models and configurations have the fastest average selling times based on how long they typically sit on dealer lots. We set a threshold number of 250 vehicles that must sell in that given month (to make the list) so as to not skew the list to newly released vehicles that have strong pent-up demand. There are many 2015 Ford, Chevrolet and GMC heavy-duty pickups that sit on dealer lots less than two weeks, but the total sales number of those specific models aren't necissarily statistically significant.
Interestingly, the average number of days it took to sell an automobile this April was 56 days — once the vehicle was on the dealer lot. Last April, it was 51 days. Some of the slowest-selling vehicles in the U.S. this past month have been on dealer lots for as long as six months.
Here are the top 10 fastest-selling pickups for April 2014 and their average stay on lots:
- 2014 Toyota Tacoma crew cab, 16 days
- 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD crew cab, 17 days
- 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali crew cab, 17 days
- 2014 Toyota Tacoma extended cab, 18 days
- 2014 Nissan Frontier crew cab, 21 days
- 2014 Toyota Tacoma regular cab, 25 days
- 2014 Toyota Tundra crew cab, 27 days
- 2014 Toyota Tundra extended cab, 41 days
- 2014 Ford F-150 regular cab, 42 days
- 2014 Ford F-150 extended cab, 47 days