Dodge, Ram Eight-Speed Gear Shifters Under Investigation

16ram_1500_57l_v8_so_es-ac_08jpg_23963356020_o II

By Matt Schmitz

Complaints of rollaway crashes and injuries involving Fiat Chrysler Automobiles vehicles once again have federal safety regulators investigating the automaker's electronic gear shifters.

According to The Detroit News, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received 43 owner complaints — including reports of 25 crashes and nine injuries — placing a million model-year 2013-16 Ram 1500 pickup trucks and 2014-16 Dodge Durango SUVs under scrutiny.

The problems described by owners mirror those that resulted in the recall of more than 800,000 Jeep Grand Cherokees in the U.S. earlier this year. In one of those reported cases — still under investigation by Los Angeles police — 27-year-old "Star Trek" film actor Anton Yelchin was killed when his 2015 Grand Cherokee rolled away and pinned him against a mailbox pillar and security fence at his home.

The shifters involved in this latest probe are different from those previously implicated in rollaway crashes, but both are electronically linked to the transmission as opposed to physically via cable.

The Durangos and Rams now being investigated have a four-position rotary knob on the dash that clicks into place when a gear is selected. In 34 of the recent cases, owners reported the vehicles moving while the shifters were in Park, and many said the engines were running.

With the investigation underway, NHTSA and FCA urge drivers to always engage the parking brake when they stop the vehicles. Get the full story from The Detroit News here.

Cars.com images by Evan Sears

16ram_1500_57l_v8_so_es-ac_48jpg_23963437540_o II

Comments

Yikes!...oh no, here we go again :-((...can't wait to see RAM fangirls excuses for this one :-))

I am not a fan girl and I will admit I am not a fan of the rotary shifter in my truck. I think it was a gimmick where one wasn't needed. I would have prefered the column shifter 100 times more. But it wasn't that big a deal and obviously not a deal breaker or I wouldn't have bought it.
I will wait to see what the issue really is before I run around with my head on fire.
Till then I will enjoy the sweet, sweet song of my Hemi.

This is why I don't trust the park on anything and try not to park on a hill unless I have to. Lol

This is why I don't buy trucks with hockey puck shifters.

Yea that's why I don't buy junk.

No excuse for this. They have to find, if the problem is with the electronics, or between the ears of the driver.
Rotary shifters are in any semitruck, but it could be challenging for a movie stars.
Anyhow, I still enjoy my 2010 RAM 1500 4x4 Auto mode Laramie. No Trany , engine, brakes, airbags recall.

Some people should not be allowed to mess with a knob and some should. I have never had a problem with mine. I may not think it is the best way to shift gears but it is the best truck to shift gears in.

Lionel was out trying to drive FCA's again, their not like Fords.
For Overly Retarded Drivers.

Johnny that was painful to read

Maybe... Damn those RAMS really move! Even when parked. Sucks to be them.

@ Johnny dtho hey little fella you better watch what your mouth!!!!.

Personally, I love my little rotary dial in my 2014 Ram. The center-mounted shifters always look nice, but take up way too much space and are pretty much redundant IMO.

When I bought my truck, I didn't know if I would like it or not, but I have certainly come around to it. Even if there is a recall eventually, it woundn't deter me from getting another dial shifter.

Perhaps it was driver error??? I am not fan of the rotary shifter but come on. If it was a bigger issue more would have problems.
It is just 0.0043 percent of them that have a problem.

Lionel was out trying to drive FCA's again, their not like Fords.
For Overly Retarded Drivers.

Posted by: johnny doe | Dec 20, 2016 6:50:56 PM

@ johhny doeby; go wank yourself; there are times to joke as we all enjoy a good laugh. This is not that time but show some respect for families that had someone maimed/killed and grieving from their lost. And here you have an GOVT motor idiot with no sympathy/accusing people killed as retarded or just part of natural selection....what a dumba$$...go get a life you looser.

So, the small recall for the same issue in 2014 was driver error too? Sure makes one wonder if the issue wasn't much bigger than 159 trucks or if there is an inherent flaw in the design of the electric actuated park pawl. Surprised PUTC forgot that related recall when they were the first to report it back thenm http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/04/recall-alert-2014-ram-1500-pickup.html

It has to be driver error. I'm an 8hp70 owner and I can vouch for that. Sometimes I try to turn the key off while it's in drive once I park and when I do the dashboard screen says auto shift correct, a few mechanical sounds come from behind the shifter know and it shifts to park. What people don't do, which I do, is cut it back on, shift to drive then to park, then cut it back off. Better to be safe than sorry, right?

*knob*

There are ways to perfect the rotary shifter, but it could get costly. Head up display, audible voice confirmation, a button for each prnd, automatic shift to park if a door opens under 5 mph, etc.

Tbh I think a setup on a Forklift works best. Up is drive, middle is neutral, down is reverse, and neutral with the parking brake if you get out/off. All they need is a voice alert to go with it if you unlock/open door/move off seat. I have got in my truck and tried to shift to drive with my turn signal after driving a fork lift all day.

Does anybody know how to work that 3rd foot pedal, the one that is way to the left. i use it almost every time i park and before i put the transmission in park. think its called a Parking Brake !!!!! WTH, does anybody use it anymore ? i tell all my friends after they let the car roll back and bind the transmission when they dont use a parking brake. Merry Christmas Everybody :)

It's caused by an electrical problem
The soy based wiring harness is food for mice and they eat thru the harness that causes electrical problems.

PUTC ? WHEN are you going to have a story about the problems with soy based wiring harness ?

cmon

very good point ! USE THE PARKING BRAKE !

I would also add not using the parking brake will cause MORE problems where the linkage and cables will freeze up and that gets very expensive to repair

The only time I've operated one of these 8speed Rams- I had a problem- just moving someone's truck in a driveway, so we could leave... you could move the dial to Park, but the little LED still showed it in gear. had to cycle the shifter (and Ignition IIRC) back and forth a few times to get it to park.

the ergonomics of the RAM interior is like something from the 1980s.

Whoever did the dial trans shifter should be fired.

@Scott2 "This is why I don't buy trucks with hockey puck shifters."

I never had this issue in my BMW, oh well that's right, they just know how to do it., these american car manufactures will never get it right.

Posted by: Nitro | Dec 21, 2016 6:57:41 AM

RAM theme song nomination

RAM Theme song nomination:

Must agree with Nitro

My wife's 2015 BMW X5 has the smartest automatic ever.

Shutdown is safe and simple. Apply the parking brake. Turn off motor with very handy push button switch. Transmission automatically selects Park.

2 steps. Super safe and simple. I'm sure the Benz works very similar to the BMW.

I agree with cmon.

Although I really think Ram should offer people a column shift if they want it.

Josh: so you can remove the key fob while not in park? I would think they need to forget about the auto shift correct, that from my understanding waits for an electronic device to fix a human error of not putting it in park. Meaning, if you had to have it in park before you pulled out the keys....

But once again it comes back to people not using the parking brake.

Is it really that hard for people to use a parking brake?

Yet another reason why manual transmissions are going by the wayside, because people don't seem to know how to use the parking brake and they will roll off on you.

People, read the owners manual and follow it religiously.

Wow dude gets crushed by his jeep after he left it unattended with the parking brake disengaged. jeep blamed for human error. When are people going to take responsibility for the consequences of their actions?

Everyone who says set the parking brake is right but it doesn't actually solve a transmission issue.

Posted by: Lionel | Dec 20, 2016 10:56:47 PM

Why should I show sympathy to the dumb? This is reality, if your to dumb to read a owners manual to keep yourself and others safe, where it clearly states to apply the parking brake when parked. Well then you could die or kill others. Why should I feel sorry for people who intentionally don't apply their parking brake and let them get their self run over. It is natural selection, they were just to dumb to survive. Reality can be great, but sometimes no so much. At the end of the day reality is still reality.

I rented last year a Charger & GC & experienced the same issues & resorted to careful reminders & double checking each time I shut down.

I already brought it up on this site a few times & of course all the RAM turds blamed the driver which I suppose ultimately it is.
Posted by: Lionel | Jun 21, 2016 4:54:31 PM

Looky there Lionel trying to get people killed, sadly the rentals didn't get him. Sadly we all have to live with Lionel trying to get people run over and killed cause he can't work a parking brake. Even admitted it was drivers fault too.

@ HEMI V8; I just checked with my buddies '16 SRT8 GC; it's not really a faulty shifter but a different design people are not used to. Most of us are familiar with a shifter that moves up and down and clicks into each position all the way up to park and all the way down to low. This design however is a ratcheting type design that when you move it down or up one click, it has to return to the original position to click it again and so on to move through the gears.

So what can happen like I experienced is in a situation when you are in a rush & you hastily shift it up to park to get out quickly but not realizing you've only shifted to neutral or worse still, in reverse...yikes!! On top of that, most of us do not look at the instrument cluster to see which gear we're actually in.

I am not a fan of the design but it just takes a couple of extra seconds to check/make sure you are in park before you get out. It is a tragedy someone had to pay the ultimate price for simple negligence but hopefully FCA will make the necessary changes.
Posted by: Lionel | Jun 21, 2016 10:06:20 PM

HAHAHA!

"@ HEMI V8; I just checked with my buddies '16 SRT8 GC; it's not really a faulty shifter"
Posted by: Lionel | Jun 21, 2016 10:06:20 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I rented a RAM 1500 for a week and have to admit it is different than what i am used to, a column or center console shifter. It does take a time to adjust to get used to it and there were a few times I turned the radio volume or the HVAC control if I was not looking. I would think issue is more with the driver than an electronic one.

But as other said it's a change that was not really needed.

Just as keyless/push button ignition came about, there were issues with people leaving their cars running because there was no key to turn and remove to shut off the car. it's a change that people have to get used to and there are going to be people who forget and have accidents.

I was surprised the Ram I rented was not push button, especially since the key was not a traditional cut key just a plastic fob that you use like a key.

@trx Tom

No, it will not let you take the key out, just cut the engine off (auxiliary). It happens because I don't have lever to grab from muscle memory, so I get ahead of myself. It's my fault, not chrysler's. The thing is when I do this, I start the engine back and take it out of park, put it in drive, then shift it back to park and cut it off. I feel more safe putting it in park myself than the computer doing it for me. THE REASON I'M TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT MY MISTAKE IS TO POINT OUT THAT SOMEONE HAS TO BLATANTLY IGNORE SAFETY BECAUSE CHRYSLER HAS ALREADY PUT SAFE GUARDS LIKE THE AUTO SHIFT CORRECT IN PLACE. IF NO ONE SAW THE AUTO SHIFT CORRECT SCREEN, HEARD THE ANNOYING CHIMING, SAW THE LEDS FLASHING, AND TRIED TO GET THEIR KEY OUT AND IT WOULDN'T LET THEM THEN THEY ARE JUST STRAIGHT UP F!!KING STUPID! THIS STAR TREK DUDE AS WELL AS ALL AMERICANS TEND TO TAKE CONVENIENCE FOR GRANTED! IF WE DON'T TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR OUR ACTIONS WE WILL BE IN ONE BIG PRISON CAMP BECAUSE WE WILL RELY ON THE GOVERNMENT TO SAFE GUARD EVERYTHING AND WATCH OVER US LIKE WE ARE CHILDREN. JUST LIKE THAT OLD WOMAN SAID IN THE NEW ASSASSIN'S CREED MOVIE, "PEOPLE NO LONGER CARE ABOUT FREEDOM, BUT THEIR STANDARD OF LIVING INSTEAD".

I've got 2 siblings that have the rotary shift knob and they have never had a problem with them, they like the space they save and how easy they are to use I don't get the problem with them? As soon as I can afford a RAM I'll have a rotary shift knob!

Posted by: magnum74 | Dec 21, 2016 8:33:24 AM

FORD had this issue with vehicles not holding in park and they addressed it by telling the owners to apply the parking brake. They even sent their owners a cute little decal to affix to the dash board rather than deal with the actual transmission issue.

Of course, Ford has experienced many transmission recalls since then but this one is a good educational opportunity for the FORD fan boys to learn about their fav car company notorious past.

Add this to the reasons why the Dodge Ram is rated "the most dangerous vehicle in America."

The fact is a lot of Ram guys are bumping the shifter knob when settling into the seat or they are inadvertising hit reverse when trying to go into park. They are also turning up the volume when trying to shift.

As you can tell I still dislike the feminine shifter knob.

I was taught to set the emergency brake every time I turn off the car or truck and get out. that would eliminate the problem. people today have no idea how to drive cars or trucks.

It’s acutally very easy to not put it in park and this can be blamed on the design that is as confusing as the FCA one.

I’ll also say if they said to set the brake everytime it’s shut off, someone would say that it caused extra wear on parking brake system and that makes for costly repairs.

The 2017 Fusion with rotary shifter has an Automatic Return to Park. Fiat-Ram may want to look into that.

I'm also not buying the space saving logic. The 2017 F-150 has more room and more storage and you can still get a column shifter which is safer and easier if having all of that extra cup holder storage is your thing.

Ram needs to go back to the drawing board.

@GMS-I would think the shifter in your Camaro works best, ,or did you just make that car up too.

The camaro is the wifes car, although I do like it, its not as nice as my basic 3 series BMW....but to each his/her own, for the wife the camaro fits her well, for a 6'2" guy like me, its hard to drive, but I still get a smile out of the acceleration.

@CT...
"It's also known that a parking brake may freeze up in the winter. if you are driving on wet roads and know the temps will fall below freezing after you park, you might think twice before using the P-brake every time you stop. "

I have never had this happen, and I go through a New Jersey winter every year with plenty of snow, ice, salt, and temps well below 32°F. Not once has my parking brake "frozen". I park outside, and I use the parking brake on my 4x4 dually daily... whether it's on an incline, a dead-flat parking lot, or anything in between. I'm responsible if 8000 pounds of truck moves on its own, so I make sure it doesn't.

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ford Motor Co. today issued two recalls for roughly 9,400 vehicles in North America.

The automaker is recalling over 8,000 2017 Super Duty trucks that do not contain a proper fuel tank strap reinforcement. Separately, it’s recalling about 1,300 2016 Ford Taurus sedans, 2016-17 Flex crossovers, 2017 Explorers and Police Interceptor Utilities and 2016-17 Lincoln MKT crossovers with leaky turbocharger oil supply tubes.

Ford said it is not aware of any fires, accidents or injuries related to either issue.

In the Super Duty truck issue, a missing reinforcement could lead to a fuel tank strap separating from the frame, resulting in the fuel tank moving out of position and potentially contacting the ground, increasing the risk of a fuel leak, Ford said.

That could potentially lead to a fire. The trucks were built at the Kentucky Truck Plant from Aug. 10 to Sept. 17 this year.

About 7,103 are in the United States, 964 are in Canada and two are in federalized territories.

In the second recall, an improperly brazed turbocharger oil supply tube could leak engine oil, leading to the potential increased risk of fire. The affected Taurus sedans were built at Chicago Assembly Oct. 18-Nov. 2; the Flex crossovers were built at Oakville Assembly Oct. 18-Nov. 10; the Explorer SUVs were built at Chicago Assembly Oct. 15-Nov. 12; the Police Interceptor Utility were built at Chicago Assembly on Nov. 2; and the MKT crossovers were built at Oakville Assembly Oct. 18-Nov. 10.

About 1,157 are in the U.S., 126 are in Canada and six are in federalized territories.

In both cases, dealers will install the correct parts free of charge.

Ford recalls 8,000 2017 Super Duty trucks for fuel strap reinforcement
December 21, 2016 @ 9:16 am

GUTS

GLORY

RAM

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

In both cases, dealers will install the correct parts free of charge.

Ford recalls 8,000 2017 Super Duty trucks for fuel strap reinforcement
December 21, 2016 @ 9:16 am

GUTS

GLORY

RAM

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

In both cases, dealers will install the correct parts free of charge.

Ford recalls 8,000 2017 Super Duty trucks for fuel strap reinforcement
December 21, 2016 @ 9:16 am

GUTS

GLORY

RAM

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

In both cases, dealers will install the correct parts free of charge.

Ford recalls 8,000 2017 Super Duty trucks for fuel strap reinforcement
December 21, 2016 @ 9:16 am

GUTS

GLORY

RAM

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

In both cases, dealers will install the correct parts free of charge.

Ford recalls 8,000 2017 Super Duty trucks for fuel strap reinforcement