Classic Pickups Shine at Heartland Car Show

IMG_3663

By Tim Esterdahl

Each year classic car shows crop up all over the country and while you can find row after row of Corvettes, Mustangs and Chargers at these events, classic pickup trucks are what grab our attention. Especially when you see custom creations like those we found at the 2017 Rock-n-Roll Father's Day Classic Car Show in Gering, Neb. Pulling from five nearby states, this show offered a surprising number of interesting and one-of-a-kind vehicles.

Here are the pickups that stood out to us.

Cars.com photos by Tim Esterdahl

1930 Ford Model A

IMG_3577This 1930 Ford Model A custom tow truck definitely falls in the unique category. It is the definition of a custom truck, sporting diamond-plated steel incorporated into the truck. Among its many features are an L82 350 Chevrolet Corvette motor, a 12-inch cab extension, rear-hinged doors, splash aprons and the melding of a tow-truck rear.

IMG_3580The paint work on this truck was simply stunning and turned heads.

IMG_3584Who doesn't love an old tow truck customized with new metal and a brilliant paint job? This truck looks like it just rolled off the assembly line and is ready for work.

Monster Pickup Truck

IMG_3678This monster "Frankenten" truck — a 1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 military truck riding on a 1996 Dodge three-quarter-ton 4x4 chassis with an 8.0-liter V-10 engine (see photo at top of page) — was a show highlight. Built for the Cheyenne Wheels for Charity, the truck was won on a $25 raffle ticket. It was a smorgasbord of goodies and unique build items kept our attention for a long time. A custom rear bumper, dual chrome exhausts and the chains on the tailgate along with the blending of orange and matte black paint perfect the look of a strong and powerful off-road truck. If only Jeep had built these back in the day, we would be talking about it rather than old Ram 2500 Power Wagons.

IMG_3665Blending old iron with new bumpers, wheels and suspension is always a fan favorite and this truck really showcased the best of blending these items.

IMG_3670The inside of the cabin wasn't neglected and its simplicity along with clean paint lines really stood out.

1950 Ford One Ton

IMG_3691
This 1950 Ford one-ton pickup turned dump truck had more custom touches than we can list. Highlights included the hand-built dump box, hand-built running boards and an interior roof console with 12-volt and USB chargers. The dump box hydraulics were bought as a kit and then the owner fabricated the bed, including moving the whole bed outward to accommodate the nearly 90-degree tilt.

IMG_3695Owner Randy McDonald told us he bought the hydraulic bed kit and then built his own bed. One of the unique things is the bed moves out and then starts tilting to clear the rear bumper.

IMG_3700Wood running boards complement the bed and front bumper, completing the unique look. Painted in a unique two-tone color combination, the truck really looks sharp and McDonald's attention to detail shows.

1985 GMC/Chevrolet Pickup?

IMG_3718One of the more unique custom pickups at the show, this was a combination GMC and Chevrolet build. The owner bought the 1975 GMC truck from behind a barn in Wyoming and drove it home. Next, he put in a big-block Chevy 454 engine and swapped the rusting cab for a cab from a 1936 Chevy pickup. Then he built it to be a high-speed off-road racer. Reinforcing this plan are doors that are attached by simple threaded bolts. The owner did this because he doesn't use the doors when he drives it and it is easier to pop them off this way.

IMG_3726This pheasant hood ornament reflects the owner's love of hunting.

IMG_3722

No door pins, no problem. These doors are rarely on.

IMG_3729Finishing off the look is a simple flatbed placed on top of the old bed from the 1975 GMC. Nothing fancy was needed when the truck was rebuilt to tear up the dirt and not haul hay.

Comments

Looked like a junk show instead of a car show.

The last truck I mean

An 8.0 litre V10?

In a Jeep? Awesome! If Fiat started building these today, they'd be selling like hotcakes.

Instead Fiat will devote their engineering resources to building some mini car that gets 100 miles per gallon on E85 gas.

More old Fords running GM power plants, I see it all the time. Having said that I must say the Smoken Joe's tow truck is a great looking rig and is deserving of the power and reliability from the L98 GM 350 crate engine.

I meant Corvette engine.

GMSRGREAT - - -

Yeah. Agree about that Smoken Joe's Ford. Beautiful piece of work.
And that brings a topic of vehicle design.
My favorites were those from about 1928 to about 1934, the upright non-aerodynamic classic versions.
Would love it if they could be made again, realizing that my speed might be limited to "only" 60 MPH! But I see Jeep Wranglers flying by me at 70, so who know nowadays!

================

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jul 14, 2017 9:13:38 AM

1. Any LS Junk Yard 350ci is $300, GM Made millions of these engines so they're everywhere in JY's

3. Most GM guys like the Ford platform that GM could never build, so they take the motor with them.

4. GM never built a platform remotely close to the mustang fox body weight with 9 inch ford rear end

5. Why is it every real fast chevy has a Ford 9 inch in the rear end

6. Most GM guys like to put Chevy motors in Ford because all other classic Chevy's are rusted out.

Why does papajim have to bash in every post? This is a car show. Stop hating on everything non-GM.

@ Frank. Most ford owners use the GM power plants because there tired of pushing there unreliable fords around.
ford made it easier for the new truck owners to be pushed by making the body's out of light weight Aluminum

Posted by: uglyfords | Jul 14, 2017 11:59:30 AM

All GM owners use Ford 9 inch rear to insure they make it down the track. Don't matter what motor you have if you can't get it to the ground.

That's if you know anything about racing and cars.

That's if you know anything about racing and cars. Posted by: Frank | Jul 14, 2017

@PUTC commenters. There you have it!

If you don't agree with Frank it makes you a dope.

In fact, if you know anything you'd know that the aftermarket back in the 1960s was brimming with upgrades like pipes, cams, heads, carburetors, distributors and manifolds back in the days of the original small block Chevy. And those products were affordable.

Ford needed decades to catch up. You could buy headers and custom wheels for your Ford, but it was quite a long time before there was any downstream fun for Ford fans in the aftermarket.

Frank might not have been around back in those days but the 1960s was an exciting time for performance-minded car enthusiasts.

@papajim--1960s cars were junk for performance compared to today and you know it. You are as bad as oxi talking about the 1990s glory days.

@Jeff S, Nostalgia is all it is.

@ Frank Not all GM owners use ford 9 inch. I've never used one nor would I ever. There are better rearends out there. The ford rear end was just cheap and plentiful. The auto wreckers were full of them.

1950's and 1960's had some great cars and trucks, it is just that the vehicles today are safer and more reliable. Nothing wrong with putting a Chevy small block in any vehicle especially with the availability of of the engine and the cost of parts. If you really wanted to go for a superior engine from the standpoint of performance get an old Mopar hemi--Ford and Chevy will be eating its dust. The choice of a Chevy small block is more about the price and availability of the Chevy small block.

Posted by: papajim | Jul 14, 2017 8:49:06 AM

You must be confused with G.M. Volt program. Dodge has the most powerful line up in Muscle cars. Demon Hellcat just to name a few. Not including most powerful suv. Remind me what G.M. has? lol

MERICA!

No Guts, No Glory,

1930 Ford Model A custom tow truck definitely falls in the unique category.
Among its many features are an L82 350 Chevrolet Corvette motor,
/QUOTE
Chevy motor in Frod..isnt Ford motor good enough?
guess NOT
LOLOL

Posted by: HEMI V8 | Jul
/QUOTE
GM has CORVETTE and Camaro,,cars that can actualy go fast around corners too,,unlike your silly Dumbon and Heckkitty

LOLOLOL
Camaro breaks speed record at Nurburing

You must be confused with G.M. Volt program. Dodge has the most powerful line up in Muscle cars. Posted by: HEMI V8 | Jul 14, 2017

@Hemi V8

You missed my point.

I would love to see Fiat's success in this regard but there's no meat in the sandwhich.

Instead we get little mini cars. The Hemi and the pickups are the result of development work that was done by Daimler 15 years ago.

@trucker

You can't be serious. Tell me where you're going to find one. Are you talking about the so-called Street hemi from the late 1960s?

They are rare as unicorns.

Are you talking about the old 426 racing hemi's? They are worth a fortune---you better bring a big checkbook, and a bigger toolbox!

And they are a bear to drive on the street.

Agree FCA needs to put more resources into Ram and Jeep. I would not say that it is so much spending resources on Fiat or min-cars so much as it is pouring scarce resources into Alfa Romeo in hopes of competing with BMW, Mercedes, and Jaguar. The Alfa Romeo Giulia starts at close to 40k with a turbo-4. Alfa has had a much less than spectacular reception by the buying public. Resources would have been better spent on Ram and Jeep especially since most of the Alfas in the US will be sold in Fiat dealerships and service by Fiat mechanics. Not good for a product FCA has spent billions on. Even the shared platform of the Giulia was used in the Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 which are now both dead.

@Trucker

Have you ever driven one of the V10s? They are amazing. I drove a RAM 2500 V10 and the acceleration was unreal.

Light part throttle pushing a six thousand pound truck up an Interstate ramp and it breezed up the ramp and hit 70 mph before the end of the ramp. Light throttle. Amazing.

I'd love to see RAM revive the V10 1500 and 2500 as an option. It would not hurt Cummins sales because its really two different buyers.

@papa jim--You completely missed the point I was making. I was stating that the Chevy small block V-8 is popular because of its lower price and wide availability. I stated that the Hemi is faster and did not state anything about its higher price and scarce availability. You assumed that I said that the Hemi was a better engine and you assumed that I said it was cheaper which I did not. The Hemi will blow away a small block Chevy and Ford but it is rarer and more expensive. For the money I would go for the small block GM. How many car builders and restorers who restore and modify an old truck are going to be interested in putting a rare engine that is expensive. Perfectly logical to put a small block GM in an older truck especially when you consider what the cost of a GM crate engine is to its competitors. The cost will be a major consideration.

LOLOLOL
Camaro breaks speed record at Nurburing

Posted by: Chevrolet builds a better way to see the USA | Jul 14, 2017 5:31:12 PM

Duh, Ever heard of a Viper? Eats vettes and Camero's on the track. lol.

Good luck with that.

@Frank--You know, don't get started talking about the 1960s around papajim, he treats the 60s cars like gods, er, uh, how can he ever find out what a new truck really do? The 60s were the high point of his life. I've seen them, the real sad ones like papa. They sit around the rest of their lives talking about the glory days when they were seventeen years old.

@papa jim--You are in search of an argument even when there is no argument. I really don't think you misunderstood what I stated as much as you are sparing for an argument. Not interested. Move on.

I believe papa jim is stuck in a time warp of the 50's and 60's. Most of us have moved on. We are now in the 21 st Century not the mid 20th Century. Dinosaurs are extinct for a reason.

@Jeff S

Will there be any Hondas at the Classic Pickups shows of the future? Or just the lawnmowers.

Damn even old Fords look super ugly, atleast its got a bullet proof GM engine powering it so the Ford owner won't have to walk home HAHAHAHA!

There is something ironic about a Ford tow truck.

Frank.... Lol.. you are something else aren't you...

papajim,
As I've advised you. I am watching your performance on PUTC.

Can you please stop creating dissent. Try and play with others.

@Big Al

Still waiting to hear about the MPD. Hope you're making progress.

Don't feed the tr0ll.

"Where is Fiat putting their product-development money? It sure as hell has not been trucks. The RAM 1500 is not awfully different today than it was 10 years ago."

Posted by: papajim | Jul 16, 2017 9:21:48 AM

WRONG again. Owning an 03 Ram and now a 15 is a world of difference. Award winning interior and technology. Again i think your confused with G.M's cheap interior. Bumper steps aren't that great. lol

@papa--Are you taking any kind of drugs or drinking?

Are you taking any kind of drugs or drinking? Posted by: Jeff | Jul 16, 2017

I'll be charitable with you one time about this.

No recreational drugs, and although Florida just passed a medical marijuana law, I don't have any plans to pursue that except for medical reasons. I have four young grandkids who live nearby and would not want them to think that Papajim endorses pot.

I like beer. Also will sometimes order a well-crafted vodka martini but the kids that work in most bars couldn't find a good martini with both hands and a flashilight.

I take four heart medications daily. My cancer treatment is presently on hiatus, so I am taking none of those at this time.

Why do you ask?

Are you taking some kind of drugs or drinking?

Sorry Jeff,

I don't do URLs and links from people I don't know.

Too many opportunities for mischief online these days. Why hide behind a link anyway? Just say what's on your mind. I do.

General Motors U.S. inventory jumped to 980,454 units as of July 1, 2017, an increase of 39 percent. it is currently unclear whether GM’s inventory pile-up is an actual part of GM’s strategy or cause for concern, given that the automaker has not met its own goal of decreasing inventory by July.

So, it will be interesting to see what state GM’s inventory situation is in by the end of September and December 2017.

The bottom line is prices of new cars on the lot have outstripped the average American’s stagnant wages.

I see it at car shows. People oohing and awing over cars then freaking out over the MSRP. I do it too and our household income is way over the U.S. median.

I get GM sticking to a high margin marketing strategy. As a GM stockholder it makes me happy. As a potential car buyer with a strong bias towards purchasing GM products I’m not interested.

I get GM sticking to a high margin marketing strategy. Posted by: Jeff S | Jul 18, 2017 1:10:53 PM

@Jeff S

Actually you DO NOT get it Jeff!

GM's strategy isn't about raising margins, it's about raising the Average Transaction Price or ATP. As is sometimes the case, you seem to think you understand but you clearly don't.

Try to find some information on the ATP strategy because GM has had several press releases on it and stockholders have probably received bundles of crap about it in the snail mail.

GM has correctly calculated that the cost of getting each prospective buyer into the showroom is about the same, whether they are buying a pricey car or not.

If that leads-generation cost is practically the same, why not try to push for higher ATPs?

Jeff S is right on. I’m a retired baby boomer that owns a Camaro and Tahoe. Think I will EVER be able to afford new ones?!? 10,000 BBs per day are joining me in retirement. The LAST thing in the world we are thinking about is spending $50-80,000 on a new vehicle. This isn’t a cyclical downturn that will come back. It is a secular demographic reduction that will continue to reduce demand for at least another decade.

Posted by: papajim | Jul 18, 2017 2:22:57 PM

@papa--That's just propaganda. The boomers (like you and I) are the ones that should have the the cash to spend on a new vehicle. We had our chance to make money before globalization killed the middle class, plus our inheritance from the Greatest Generation. There is a supposed glut of used cars, too. Not a rosy picture, I think.

@Tim

Sorry Tim, but you are not a victim. Our generation enjoys a decent standard of living.

No offense, but you sound very confused. How long have you been feeling like this? Are you suggesting that you've somehow gotten the shaft because you can't afford the car you want?

Jeff S says he's above the "median" and he can't afford what he wants---which I doubt. I've been back/forth with Jeff S for several years and he always insists that he's very happy with his fifteen year old S10 and his wife's Honda. For him to suddenly say otherwise strikes me as odd.

Seriously, Tim, ask yourself about the things that mean the most to you. Ask yourself if you can put them in some kind of order on paper, then do it. If you aren't chasing after the things that are really important every damn day, you'll run the risk of getting depressed in your retirement years very quicklly. I'm dealing with some serious health problems but I wake up happy every day because I feel confident about where I'm going.

The media is busy trying to make us anxious so we'll run out and buy the products their advertisers are paying billions to hump on TV. Don't be confused by that crap!

@papa--Where did I say I cannot afford what I want? I don't need a new car, but that still doesn't change the fact that the prices are too high and people aren't buying.

GM having their factories running at or near capacity makes them money, however now they have a glut of unsold vehicles and are extending shutdowns at plants to adjust to a market that is slowing.

GM's over-optimistic forecast now has them in trouble. They are going to have to unload the 17’s to make room for the ’18 MY. GM will loose money doing this and loose money running factories at less than optimal capacity.

GM tried to tell shareholders about and the market that this was planned but we can clearly see that was not the case. Their financing arm, GMAC, will make money by getting consumers to finance their vehicles with 0% term loans for 60 to 72 months.

It is happening already. In an article in the WSJ, they stated that GM has a ” years ” supply of Buick LaCrosses to sell. That is evident at just about every Buick / GMC dealership where those cars sit. This news is good for people who have to to buy right now, but the market doesn’t like what is going on at GM.

but the market doesn’t like what is going on at GM.
Posted by: Jeff | Jul 18, 2017

C'mon Jeff! Do your homework. Two years ago this week GM stock was $31 per share and this week it's $36, up five dollars in two years. It's up almost 10 bucks a share since February of last year.

What's not to like??? the "market" you refer to is doing the talking with their wallets, and they like it!

Come on, papa. I like other stocks a lot more than GM and GM is way overproducing again. Weren't bloated inventories one significant factor leading to GM's bankruptcy? Can certainly understand the need to build inventory to cover sales when plants go down for model changeovers-just seems like these are some pretty high numbers. I'm seriously considering a supercab Ranger again. What about you? What will your next vehicle be?

$31 you say? Check the stock prices for the month. You don't like links but you can check it on google. GM hasn't dipped much below $35. It will go down again. Don't play the markets short term.