New Chevrolet Silverado Ads Aim to Ruffle Ford's Feathers

12-2016-Chevrolet-Silverado-001[2]Full II

A new set of Chevrolet commercials is out and if you thought the last wave of Silverado steel bed ads were a direct attack on the top-selling aluminum Ford F-150, you haven't seen anything yet. The newest advertisements (see videos below) from Chevy target new-truck buyers who might be thinking about purchasing a new Ford half ton or Super Duty.

Tell us what you think in the comment section below.

Manufacturer image

Camouflage

Light-Duty Comparison (Long Version)

Heavy-Duty Drag Race (Long Version)

Comments

BTW, on our 2017 3500 dually Silverado at work, we had steel placed in the bed by a crane, when we took the steel out, the bed had 2 slits in it.

Posted by: Nitro | Jul 13, 2017 11:54:02 AM

Do you realize what that steel would have done to an aluminum bed. It would have slit through the aluminum like a hot knife through butter. Be thankful your company chooses good trucks that can safely handle extreme situations without someone getting hurt.

Agree bad commercials. Chevy needs to fire their current ad agency and marketing people. I currently have a Chevy in my personal fleet and like Chevy but the commercials are idiotic and say little about the product. Chevy would be better to go back to "Like a Rock" and Ford would be better to go back to Mike Rowe. At least the Ford car and crossover commercials show the customers the self parking feature, the automatic braking feature, the automatic tailgate feature that you can use your foot, and the lane change warning feature. GMC commercials are more informative as well. Chevy needs to take a page from GMC advertising.

For sure, they copied it from Ford. LOL

Posted by: Blueman | Jul 13, 2017 1:03:59 PM

GM's hood scoop helps makes power, that's the difference.

Ford can make their trucks out of Paper, and they will outsell Generic Junk. A company name with "GENERAL" in it is already a failure. GENERIC!

:D

GM's hood scoop helps makes power, that's the difference.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jul 13, 2017 5:07:29 PM

Hands down....AWARD WINNER!

Great ads GM, they show just how far behind Ford is even with a newer truck!

those of us who are actual trucks users know and understand the real deal on trucks, and those buy the real trucks....FORD.

Posted by: Nitro | Jul 13, 2017 11:54:02 AM

You sound like a complete clown when you say garbage like that. I've owned Ford, GMC, Chevy and Dodge trucks over the last 30 years and I can say without a doubt that there's nothing that Ford offers that would make it the "real truck" of the group. Especially when it comes to the newer F-150's, which has been on the downward slide ever since 1997. The 4.6 and 5.4 were complete and utter junk, the vacuum operated IWE 4WD system is the worst design I've ever seen, and now they're shoving junk turbo gas V6's down everybody's throat. The last "real truck" F-150 Ford made was square body pickup that came with a 5 speed manual and the 460 V8. Not girly "innovative" (gimmicky) gadgets and 5.0 Coyote car engines that need to rev to 7k RPM to climb a hill.

The Superduty's were great in the 7.3 days. Then the 6-blow and throwaway 6.4 rolled onto the scene and ruined the brand for many years for me. Seeing how cheaply built the cylinder heads were was bad enough, but then seeing how the flimsy ladder frame twisting so bad on the logging trails that it was chewing up body mounts and cracking radiators all the time was enough for me trade for a Cummins truck. I don't care how cheap Ram interiors are, as long as the engine is built right and the chassis is built tough. Nice to see Ford finally catch up to Ram and GM when it comes to a TOUGH frame. I haven't had to do half the front end work that I had to on Ford's cheap front end, which is an added benefit. Ford has really started to cheapen out when it comes to the bushings, ball joints, wimpy track bars, etc.

lol i think GM is a little mad that Ford is beating both their brands sales combined. With GM you can have power OR efficiency, but not both :)
Posted by: Alex | Jul 13, 2017 2:25:44 PM

Pure bull, with a GM you can have both.

I think putc should do the same test indepent of Ford or GM.

This is soooo funny, why do they need to go after Ford? Oh thats right, they are not the leader.
Posted by: Nitro | Jul 13, 2017 10:30:50 AM

HAHAHA! Care to explain all the new Ford attack adds on GM and Ram.

Keep defending you going broke junk building trash company Nitro LMBO!

You dolts all have a short memory. Several years ago Ford (when they did their previous update to their diesel) ran a commercial where their Super Duty was pulling a trailer on a course (uphill and a straight away) racing both a Chevrolet and a Ram. There were several variations but each one of them showed the Ford beating the other 2 by a significant margin. Fast forward several years and now that GM has done the same thing, nobody likes it? Come on, either this forum attracts nothing but 12 year olds who've dropped out of school or everyone has amnesia? This was a jab back at Ford for the same kind of commercial they ran several years ago right after they updated their truck and engine.

GM is looking to take a jab at Ford more than it's trying to convince you dolts to buy their truck because it's faster but you guys/gals are too ignorant to know what's really going on here. Ford claims "best in Power" "best in towing" "best in marketing lies about real world power" etc. but when it comes down to it, those numbers and claims don't mean $hit in the real world and GM has proven it. So all you Ford fanboys can suck it because we all know that Chevrolet/GMC has a much better and more powerful diesel than both Ford and Ram, despite what they say in their commercials. LOL!

"Kermit the Frog" likes Chevy

Idiots drive fords, real men drive Chevy.
Case Closed.

Whenever GM does attack ads, it is when they are in trouble, as in right now trouble.
The only winner in these ads is Howie Long collecting a check, good for him.
GM attack ads have never been sucessful , as in selling more trucks. It seems desperate people do desperate ads.

Seems like everyone is offended by everything these days. Good fun truck wars have been going on for decades by all manufacturers! Apparently even truck ads need to be warm and fuzzy now!

I see no problem with these ads. The videos all highlight the features that the Silverado offers and how their trucks are tops in V8 horsepower and fuel efficiency. What's wrong with saying that when it is a fact. What's wrong with highlighting the bumper steps which can be used with or without a trailer in tow. (the man step can't be used with certain trailers in tow and certainly not a fifth wheel no matter what angle you park it at.) As for the drag race, will Chevy is simply embarrassing Ford, again, what's wrong with that?

Juno kino junk and more junk. Hahahah

Posted by: Brick | Jul 13, 2017 5:59:01 PM

You said a mouth full their.

:D

Posted by: Frank | Jul 13, 2017 5:28:27 PM

I can believe that. Ford gives credit to homeless folks with no income. Ford is giving their trucks away in my area this month.

While Ford is innovating and leading truck development, GM is busy making ridiculous ads and employing "25% off" department store style sale schemes to move their trucks, which, for some bizarre reason, have their steering wheel angled toward the outside driver's door instead of being straight.

Commercials for the owners of GM trucks. I bet the target audience is people looking to buy thier first truck. No knowledgeable owner of any other brand would be swayed by this.
@ Brick - totally agree on the gutless mod motors, with few exceptions. I disagree with your comment on the Coyote having towed a travel trailer and putting 93k troublefree miles on it. I never hit 7000 rpm to climb any hill pulling a 7k trailer. If you look at a Coyote dyno chart, max HP the 5.3 is 380 at 3600 rpm, the Coyote is 387 at 3850 rpm. Essentially the same.

That's the best they can do?

LOL!!!

Ford will be bringing a 427 to market next year - just not sure of where it will be used.

The long term comparison ad is better than the camo ad. It's the same old thing, you have the brand loyal people that will never change. I drive blah because I've always driven blah. Let's face it, all of the half tons out there will do the job that 90% of the buyers need. If it's not brand loyalty it's looks and features/toys.

I don't see anything wrong with these ads? They never "bash" Ford. All they do is point out the benefits their truck has over the competition. As for the drag race, all the Ford Fanboys' egos are hurt because their all new Super Duty is getting 'waxed" by a 4 year old platform with a new engine and drive train....now that's hilarious!

Desperate companies do desperate things when they know their products are inferior...

Wow, very effective ads, love'em. Based on the commenting, the feathers have been ruffled. LOL. Great drag race, the FORD jumped the start twice and still loss.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jul 13, 2017 9:38:50 AM

I suppose only GMSUCKs (& her/his girlfriends johnny dumb dumb & papa jimbo) will approve these attack ads - but all it does is showing their 4 yr old mentality & shaky GOVT motors desperado attempts to try beat the king of the hill.....HAHAHAHA!!!

@ Lionel

You are very childish with your remarks! Yes, very few of the trucks do shake, compared to the amount they sell...get over it!!
Ford trucks catch on fire, yet I'm not on here boasting about that! Why don't you take this into consideration!! GM has had the 5.3L since 1999, and the Duramax since 2001..both solid, great engines!! How many has Ford had in that time?? 4.6L, 5.4L both boat anchor engines!!! Now they have the 5.0L and 3.5L which are both car and SUV oriented!! The Super Duty has gone through 7.3L--(great motor), 6.0L, 6.4L--(both junk)!!!, and 6.7L (good motor so far), yet they still can't match the Duramax. You have no argument except...shaky motors or Government motors...so childish...just proves that driving a ford lowers your IQ!!!

Posted by: Nitro | Jul 13, 2017 10:30:50 AM

HAHAHA! Care to explain all the new Ford attack adds on GM and Ram.

Keep defending you going broke junk building trash company Nitro LMBO!
Posted by: johnny doe | Jul 13, 2017 6:17:37 PM

You are comparing apples to elephants. The Ford ads state facts about their advantages like cargo room, safety features etc.. The Chevy ads say "we got tailgate steps and that makes us better." "our bed is steel and that makes us better"... Opinions vs facts. That's why GM relied on taxpayers (more facts) to bail them out and Ford didn't.

Posted by: Chris | Jul 13, 2017 7:52:23 PM

I have no problem with the HD ad. They need to show that the trucks are equally equipped (axle ratios etc.) but I would never bet against the Duramax/Allison combo as far as performance. The other ads are sad. They are literally making it sound like they just put the bumper steps in last week. Also, (again I am not doubting the Duramax/Allsion) how creditable is it for the Chevy marketing guy and their pitch man to "race" them in a non biased manner? Ford has an ad showing the 2.7 beating the 5.3 GM, they list the gear ratios etc. and the independent agency verifying it. Definitely holds a little more water.

2.7EcoboostRoost The above GM ads show their advantages and features.. Grow up!

2.7EcoboostRoost

The ad agencies and the automakers are a bit stumped. It's easy to show one truck out racing the other. That works on the tv screen.

The chief area of improvement (apart from recent safety and electronic connectivity improvements) that I care about is comfort, quiet-- and smooth. This is where RAM kicked butt in the last 10 years.

Ford invested big-time in fuel economy at a time when fuel prices were dropping. Bad luck. If prices had been rising, Ford's CEO would be smelling like a rose.

GM and RAM could not keep up with Ford on the FE improvements, so they've been hard at work in other areas that customers care about. They got lucky.

I'm going to test a Ford with the 2.7 ecoboost, and a Tundra if I can find one that is priced right. If the area's RAM dealers continue slashing the price (on the lease deals) it will be hard to say no.

In the meantime the old Chevy continues to satisfy me and I'll have to start feeling rich again to consider signing on the dotted line.

papajim,
You have really begun to sound like Michigan Bob.

I'm wondering??????

The reality is this. Those EcoSieze Ford engines do a pretty good job, even if Bose had to pipe in virtual V8 engine noises to make them palatable.

They might not be economical, but neither is any GM V8 or Hemi.

I do think once Ford copies FCA and drop the 3 litre V6 diesel in the Ford it might be worth looking at, if they can fix up the cheapasz plastic interior.

At the moment of the Big Three I like the Ram first, then the Ford if they can offer a diesel. Chev needs to do something to make it more attractive to the customer. This may be why GM sales of pickups have dropped.

GM is losing touch with its customer base a little, not much.

There is new GMC Denali that passes by in front of my house and it is the best looking truck offered by any manufacturer. Period!

Ever drive one? Eco in Ecoboost only counts when you compare it to the Tritan modular V8s. Horrible gas mileage and before the 3 valve versions, gutless with horrible power curves. Right now the 6.2 and the Hemi can put down similar mileage to the 3.5.

But if you haven't driven more than one brand, how would you know?

Posted by: andrwken | Jul 13, 2017 2:48:08 PM

Lol why do you assume I have only driven one brand? I don't even know which brand it is you think I have only driven. I have driven pretty much everything except the new 10-speeds. I have a Duramax, so you can't exactly assume I'm biased against Chevy. I'm just being real here. Chevy is way behind Ford on technology and innovation. Sorry if that makes you mad.

Alex,
Toyota historically has always been behind the eightball in many vehicles.

But, they seem reliable.

I do believe Ford has advanced quicker than they can manage. It's good to see a company move forward.

Ford and Ram are proving that the pickup has become a car, both in different ways. Ram with it's low payload and comfy ride and Ford with it's newfangled tech and bling.

Ford is going down the Chinese and Korean lines of bling and FCA is going down a more old fashioned Euro line with passenger comfort.

It seem people do like their comfortable Rams and Asian'esque blinged Fords.

All that great stuff and it is debillitated by a low front bumper. Thanks GM, just leave it to the consumer to modify your front bumper when the work gets tough. I see GMs everyday at work with airdams cracked, dragging on the ground or chunks of bumpers missing, damaged or ripped off because the worker was trying to get a job done but could not use the trucks capability because your front bumper is so low. I would rather buy a Ram stock from the factory and ready to work. When I buy a new truck I should not have to modify my front bumper, especially in an off road package. That package should make the truck off road capable and ready to work in rough terrain. Fotunately Ram builds the truck I need without these low hanging front bumpers.

@Rambro

Why are air dams necessary in the first place?

@Big Al, can you say Cerberus Capital Management? They owned Chrysler before FCA was born. Can you say Daimler? They owned Chrysler before CCM.

It was Daimler's engineers who developed the silky road manners we enjoy in the trucks RAM builds today. Hardly anything for FCA to brag about.

Since this is a tangent to the discussion of the new Silverado it's only germane to the conversation where you mentioned it to Alex in the remarks you made about the product dev at respective companies like Ford, Chrysler and I presume GM.

@papajim

The GM manual states the engine gets improper cooling if left off for prolonged periods of time. It is also for aerodynamics but how is it that a Tacoma has a better drag coefficient than a Z71 Colorado yet Tacoma maintains a bumper that has great clearance for work or play. In fact I believe GM has the worst drag coefficienyt of any truck. Even worse than Ram and their HDs allow you to actually work or play in rough terrain, straight off the lot.

@Rambro

The comment/question I made about air dams gives away my advancing age. At age 66 it's easy for me to remember trucks that were build and driven for generations prior to the time that some smart guy calculated that we all need to be driving fuel efficient trucks.

I recently drove my 2009 Silverado LS up to the midwest to visit family, a round trip well over 2000 miles. The old truck ran great and ate up the road. I didn't spend any time worrying about the air dam. Until a few years ago if I wanted to do an serious stuff off road I used my old 1979 Ford F series and it had some serious ground clearance and low gears. No problem. I don't even remember if it had a dam (or not). Hard for me to get excited about air dams, I guess.

I do like the GM mid size trucks ok, also like the Nissan mid sizer. I find the Tacoma to be too small inside and likewise was turned off by the nose bleed price range of the Tacomas you see on dealer lots. For the money you spend on a middlin' taco, you can buy a Nissan Frontier well equipped, or lease a nice half ton RAM V8.

I find no charm in the little Toyota.

We get the Mitsubishi Triton here in Australia.

From what I've read Mitsubishi and Nissan were going to share a platform for the next mid sizer, but then the deal fell apart.

The current Triton is closer in size to the D20/22 Navara/Frontier.

Mitsubishi's popularity here is largely because of aggressive pricing. It's much cheaper than the latest midsizers.

It's overall performance is on par with a Hilux, so it's a little agricultural.

It's a pity the US will not get these, but I would rather the Amarok, BT50, Izuzu Dmax, and Ranger go over first to the US.

@Big Al

Unfortunately, Mitsubishi has descended to the point where it is just a brand name in the US. Diamond Star Motors is kaput and their dealer network is almost non existent.

Their CEO was making a lot of happy faces a few years back about North America being a strategic territory and since then almost nothing is happening.

Their product lineup is plain as hell and offers nothing to consumers that a half dozen other vendors don't in fact do better. Mitsubishi offers Nissan nothing they cannot do better themselves.

I acknowledge that Mitsubishi is a major outfit with a lot of other irons in the fire, but why they'd want to compete in a segment that's already quite secondary (midsizers) and loaded with good product (GM, Nissan, Toyota, with potential products from Ford and FCA on the way) is beyond my grasp.

@Papa Jim
20-30 years ago I would have supported your view.

But, you need better transport infrastructure, this includes road maintenance. The fairest way to pay for this is by the "mile". Fuel taxes the heaviest user both in weight and usage.

You aren't paying enough tax to support your road network. Bridges and highways conditions are gradually declining.

That does sound unpalatable what I just wrote, but its the truth.

Is the US is already borrowing money to fix potholes. You just can't keep on borrowing.

I can see some more flak from this comment.

@papajim. I own a 2015 Tacoma. Likely trading it in on a full size or 2500. I like to trade up every 3 years. Had I bought the Nissan or any other vehicle on the planet I would have lost more money in those three years. My retail is still at 38,000 Canadian and I paid 40,000. The Dealer will give me 34,000 right now because we pay 13% tax so he knows I lose that if I sell instead of trade so I lose the high tax dollar on this but had I bought a Nissan for 37,000, I would only be getting 30,000 on my trade. You see I bought the more expensive Tacoma but saved money because I bought a Tacoma because it holds its resale better than any other vehicle

I think if I buy a 1/2 ton or any HD model I am going to support Ram because they produce a off road work truck ready to go and I have respect for that. GM and Ford have no common sense or respect for a consumer who needs an off road work package. Sure they have nice trucks but they are useless off road for work or play as they are in their off road packages. They are literally so ignorant as to tell the consumer to crawl on his back and remove the air dam for off road and then put it back on again. Fords EB engines also want you to remove a bracket near the transmission when you go off road, not found on the V8. This is all per the manual for their oen off road package? Completely idiotic. Gm and Ford are complete morons for this, its an off road package, make sure the user can work on rough terrain, but they don't, they offer garbage so I wont even look at their HD lineup. I will go with a Ram if I get into an HD.

"GM and RAM could not keep up with Ford on the FE improvements"

Posted by: papajim | Jul 13, 2017 1:30:59 PM

REALLY? The way i see it is not only did Ram kick G.M and Ford to the curb on MPG they beat the Taco as well. Ram has changed the game again leaving G,M and Ford playing catch up.

@Hemi V8

Name a GM or Ram engine that competes with Ford's 2.7 Ecoboost as an all around engine for a half ton pickup!

@Big Al

I'm commenting on your Mitsubishi Triton reply and now you're going off on gas taxes. Clarify please.

@papajim. Im commenting on your 2.7. I agree its a good motor but why do I have to remove an air dam before going to work in rough terrain and further I have to remove a bracket near the transmission before I go off road to to get fire wood and then wen its cold and wet I have to crawl under the truck in the rain and put the air dam and the tranny bracket back on as per the Ford manual. Ram does not require you to do this and they offer an affordable 1500 Rebel with an off road bumper with a 5.7 V8 that is more than capable with great accoustics