Spied: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra 1500

I-ZC5tqQj-XL II

There is a lot of speculation about how much new powertrain and suspension technology will get stuffed into the next-generation GM half tons. If our most recent set of (admittedly only a few) images are any indication, it looks like GM engineers are taking more precautions to keep prying eyes away from their new platform.

Here's what our spy shooters just sent us:

"This weekend, we caught up to the next-generation Silverado/Sierra in Arizona, but GM's on-duty guard wasn't too happy about it. After our photographer took some shots of the next-gen trucks in a hotel parking lot, GM's security ran up to our photographer's vehicle and tried to remove the camera out of his hands. Our guy left the hotel unharmed, while GM's security gave a peace-out sign.

"The Silverado/Sierra is in line to get a major redo for 2019 with a possible aluminum-intensive body to save weight, just as the Ford F-150 has already adopted. However, it will sport styling much like that of the current model, including an innovative running board that seems to also incorporate a step into the bed.

"A turbocharged V-6 option is also said to be a possibility with the new-generation GM truck, as is a diesel V-6. The 10-speed automatic already seen in the Camaro ZL1 (and in the F-150) should replace the current eight-speed unit in many, if not all, versions of the Silverado/Sierra. A brake-by-wire system will also debut here, and an air suspension (such as the one on the Ram 1500s) may also be offered on the Sierra for the first time, as well.

"The Silverado/Sierra should be revealed next year, with an on-sale date late in 2018."

SpiedBilde images

I-XT58cdm-XL II

I-3TSJBbf-XL II

I-bxDV7vx-XL II

Comments

"Move along! Nothing to see here..."

Complete redesign for 2014 model year and then another complete redesign for 2019 model year. Just another example of GM staying ahead of the competition. Ford fans will have to be content with their new grilles next year.

The 2014 redesign was supposed to happen in 2008. The aluminum intensive 2019 was supposed to happen in 2014. GM is leading from behind.

GMSRGREAT: GM NEEDS to do frequent complete redesigns as crisis management, silly.

Not sure what the point of this article is. You can't confirm anything about the new trucks. Total shot in the dark reporting.

also incorporate a step into the bed...

Instead of making fun of step into the bed in 2008, they could have just made it back then if they were smart.

Too bad they couldn't get more pics of the aft/exhaust or record engine sounds. I would guess each truck had a different engine for test comparison.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jul 19, 2017 8:43:26 AM

Preach it!

3 Trucks- GMC, RAM, Ford,

guess each truck had a different engine for test comparison.
Posted by: Ken | Jul 19, 2017

@Ken

Great insight. I bet you're right!

Honestly, there is not rhyme or reason to counteract and or respond to GMSRGREAT, he shoots himself in the foot the moment he speaks.

This is hilarious.

It certainly sounds like GM is adding all the current advantages of its adversaries , like air suspension from Ram and a turbo v6 option like the EcoBoost in the Fords. Couple this with the best V8's in the business , the excellent new 10spd (also in the Ford), reduced weight through lightweight materials WITHOUT going all aluminum (GM's were already not that much heavier than the Fords) and it looks to be a very good truck.

What is up those side mirrors?!

Not a lot to see but I am really liking the wheel wells. Please GM round them off. GMs are comfortable trucks but they need some design tweaks.

I would guess each truck had a different engine for test comparison.

Posted by: Ken | Jul 19, 2017 9:25:59 AM

4.3 V6, 5.3 V8 and 6.2 V8. Best engine line-up offered by any manufacturer. Next gen will be even better.

@GMSRGREAT

I agree with keeping the engines. They need to bump up HP just a bit, but I don't agree with the 10 speed trans. I think 6 is enough! Don't get me wrong I do love my 8 speed on the highway, but in town it wants to hunt around for 3rd or 4th gear sometimes. I put it into manual a lot to avoid it. I can't imagine what a 10 speed would be like.

My father in law and brother in law are huge Ford guys and they have heard that's the one problem with new 10 speed in f150 is that is shifts a lot when going up bigger hills on highways and interstates...like 10th gear all the way down to 6th gear?? Seems like over kill to me!

As for the turbo, I hope the only turbo they have is for a diesel engine. I am not a fan of turbo six engines. If so, I'll be keeping my 17 with the reliable 5.3L for a long time.

Looks like regular old bolt on running boards to me. Aluminum body but the floor of the bed will be steel or a composite, if they are smart about it.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jul 19, 2017 11:21:02 AM

Big, thirsty V8s are becoming yesterday's news.

Big, thirsty V8s are becoming yesterday's news. Posted by: All#1 | Jul 19, 2017

@All#1

Where can I get one?

I want a big V8. Best engines ever invented. Big honkin motors. Nobody makes them anymore.

[ten speed auto] Seems like over kill to me! Posted by: TNTGMC | Jul 19, 2017

@TNTGMC

Agree, but I think that the programming will improve with time. For someone pullling a big load the extra gears are really useful, but as you point out the 6 speed is probably enough for all but the most challenging objectives.

Posted by: papajim | Jul 19, 2017 11:53:10 AM

You could have bought the biggest one available but you went with a base model wt. Practice what you preach!

Posted by: All#1 | Jul 19, 2017 12:02:27 PM

LMFAO!

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jul 19, 2017 11:36:02 AM

////////////

The 10-speed transmission only shares the mechanical design between Ford and GM. Programming is being handled in house by each company. GM also has a "heavy duty" version rated at over 650 hp. Not sure what they changed to bump up the spec but it's an 10L90 instead of a 10L80.

Anyone who has experienced the 6 and 8 speeds nowadays knows the programming will be what makes the 10 speed shine or drive you crazy.

I will bet these transmissions do not behave the same, so I would reserve judgment until you drive one.

Hmmm... Modern Turbo V6, extensive use of aluminum, new tailgate step, V6 diesel... some of that's a decade old and none of it new from some other manufacturers. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery and if GM fails to imitate with this generation they can always go back to the socialist well. Their fans don't care.

Can wait to see how bad these new models from GM crush Ford. The current GM models already run circles around Ford in the real world, and 98% of the testing we've all seen. Great job GM.

@TNTGMC: I have the 8 speed in my Silvy and it can be clunky at varying low speeds (15-25 mph) around town. I know the Ford 10 speed is experiencing the same issue. I'm not sure all the programming in the world could ever fix this completely because of their being too many variables at play when there are so many gears. As consumers, we are just going to have to accept some hiccups with these new transmissions. I know my 6.2 with the 8 speed delivers better fuel economy than my last gen 5.3 6 speed.

Big, thirsty V8s are becoming yesterday's news.

Posted by: All#1 | Jul 19, 2017 11:46:48 AM

Both of GM's current gas V8 are more fuel efficient than Fords 3.5 eco. Go Figure.

Fordtards above are so butthurt ,or can't read/understand the story. I guess when you keep fooling yourself into buying junk Fords, you become dumber, and dumber.

"The Silverado/Sierra is in line to get a major redo for 2019 with a possible aluminum-intensive body "

"A turbocharged V-6 option is also said to be a possibility with the new-generation GM truck"

Fordtards don't understand what the words possible and possibility mean. HAHAHA!

Are these really spy shots? Or are they shots released by GM to appeal and tease?

If these sites, ie, PUTC refused to show these types of photos then they would not appear.

What would appear would be photos of the vehicles without the phony coverings.

Junk just like doe and his retardedness about garbage motors.

Will GM finally offer larger gas tank options on these trucks? And how about console rear vents?

While GM is adding the best options from each brand, if they add the Tundra full roll down rear window that would just be icing on the cake.

Junk just like doe and his retardedness about garbage motors.

Posted by: Ford #1, Second to None | Jul 19, 2017 1:52:40 PM

We don't really care what they say, they open their mouths and nothing but idiocracy is displayed. No need to respond, they shoot themselves right in the foot.

Typical Chevy Trvll!

@ GMSRGREAT

I totally agree with the 5.3L and 6.2L getting better fuel economy than the 3.5L. I get 23 mpgs with 3.42 rear end in mine traveling 70 down interstate. I put it at 85 and get 20 even to our cabin all day long.

My buddy has the new escalade, now I know its not a truck but same platform and he gets 20 all day long going up and down the interstate. GM has gone leaps and bonds from where their old engines have gone!

Our neighbor next door to us at our cabin has a 97 Tahoe all original with 87,000 miles. Its mint!! He bought it brand new and has never gotten over 13 mpg with it. He doesn't mind because he has always had either a Lumina and now Impala to drive to work. Just saying technology has allowed these engines to get respectable gas mileage and it would be a shame to see GM get rid of them and switch to the turbo charging

looks like they fixed their stupid front bumper/air dam design problem. Looks much better.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jul 19, 201
/QUOTE

I prefer V8 too,still,,GMs turbo v6 in the past was no slouch either,👍👍

@ Chevrolet builds a better way to see the USA

I totally agree that Chevy knows how to build a turbo V6.
The Grand National, Typhoon, Cyclone are a few that were just insane vehicles. I owned a 06 SS Trailblazer with a few mods, and I raced a typhoon, and for it being 14 years older at the time it stayed with me side by side. I was blown away!

But what I don't like is the marketing that Ford puts on stating they get better mpg's than V8's. Everyone I know who owns a ford.....5 in the family btw, can't "Consistently" get over 20 mpgs with their Ecoboost 3.5L...yet that's all Ford has claimed.

Now my father in laws brother has the new 2.7L ecoboost and he gets 25 mpgs with it but he admits he drives like an old farmer, never going over 65! But that's fantastic if it holds true for all.

Hopefully GM will fix the vibration issues. GM is rushing to get out the new trucks so the class action lawsuits for the current 2014-2017 vibrators doesn't get underway. http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevy-colorado-owners-complain-of-shaking-at-highway-speed-97043.html

@ Machine

Totally understand what those customers are complaining about! I went through it. I had a 2016 Sierra and with 3400 miles and it started vibrating. They tried tires, rims, and alignment. Lasted about 500 miles and came back. Once I got over 60 miles an hour it felt like your hand was on top of a blender when my hand on the steering wheel. They brought up a tech from Texas and he tried different shims in the steering column. Story short, GM bought vehicle back and gave me a 17 Sierra and threw in headrest DVD's for my kiddos!! This one drives smooth!! Very frustrating and weird how they can't narrow it down. I know the older Tacoma's had this issue as well.

@tntgmc

I had a 15 GMC Sierra all terrain, my truck could not get fixed. After the 6th time GMC said the vibration was still there. I had two different sets of tires road forced, two shafts replaced, special rear end gears installed, front bushing for the steering replaced (supposed to eliminate vibration) later after the 7th time the engineer from GM said it was fixed. I requested a road test and the picoscope was installed. The engineer told me to tell him when I felt vibration. The times i told him I felt the vibration the picoscope measured 22-25. After the road test the engineer said it was about 20 percent the ride. He said that GM says it was a normal condition. I told him and the dealer that I am not satisfied they told me to contact a lemon law lawyer. I decided to trade the truck in and got a Ford F-150. After 20 years of driving GM trucks I am sad to say I had to change brands. The engineer said all the 1500 from 2014-2017 have vibration issues. Some might appear down the road. Good luck with your truck.

Funny I have a 2014 5.3L 6 speed WT2 trim with 200,000 plus on it with no shake, and also a 2016 Z71 Colorado with 45,000 plus miles and no shake. I guess when your a Ford fan boy and have to cover up the Ford death wobble, and the latest trannie shake that cracks the transmission housing, you got make stories up bout the real #1 truck maker GM.

I am really excited to see this new line of trucks. Anyone who claims that they are junk or the best thing ever are only proclaiming complete ignorance when they know almost nothing about them.
As far as reliability all mfg's have had a host of issues over the years. We all need to keep pushing for more reliable drivetrains this day and age.

They tried tires, rims, and alignment. Lasted about 500 miles and came back.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jul 19, 2017 6:09:27 PM

The problem was the tires were slipping around the wheels and causing them to go out of balance. If you had placed a paint mark on your tires near your tire valves and rechecked them after 500 miles you would have discovered that the paint mark was in a different location. This has been a problem for some time with large diameter (20 inch and larger) wheels. Adding to this is the silicone based tire installation lubricant. The silicone contributes to the slippage. One of the fixes is to remove tires from wheels thoroughly clean silicone off and reinstall tires using none silicone based lubricant or just keep tire beads wet with water during installation. This problem is not limited to GM.

they open their mouths and nothing but idiocracy is displayed. Posted by: Frank | Jul 19, 2017

@Frank

Surely you realize how many of your fellow commenters here at PUTC feel sorry for you and cut you miles of slack.

You can't imagine how many times I've seen some idiotic comment you've made, or some moronic phrasing or lousy grammar and decided it's just better to let it be. You might try some humility, and some consideration for your fellow commenters here at PUTC.

@ GMSRGREAT

I don't disagree with you but its not all about rims and tires! Its a problem with how stiff the frame is and the urethane bushings that is in-between the frame and cab (where it attaches) is the cause! They use stronger bushings or pads if you want to call them in the HD's and they don't have the issues the half tons have. When my truck was in the shop they had a TSB report there and I looked at it and it showed one of the last steps to fix problem (try too) was actually removing entire cab from frame and putting all new bushings underneath, then reattaching the cab. That is a ton of work!!!

Needless to say some do it and some don't. Kind of like some iPads, washers, dryers, refrigerators, or anything else made can go bad. Now we are talking about $30, $40, and $50 thousand dollar vehicles here and that is the frustrating part. I believe that as long as the manufacture aids or assists you/works with you like they did with me....then that's fine, but big corporations anymore don't really care about us common everyday working class Americans!! And that is a real shame!

BTW....when I was going through my whole ordeal, I called GM EVERYDAY!!!! And was on the phone every other day with the dealership who had my vehicle. Not being a JERK--(Just really Stern!!), making them aware that I was not pleased, and that this issue needed to be resolved.

I can only say at least it seems the square wheel wells are rounded off...sort off.

Now if they can only fix the vibrator issue, they might have a decent truck finally to complete with Ford :-)

For Lionel; Just a taste of those shaky fords. HAHAHA!

Let's see: Chevy air suspension 2019... Ram 2014; Ford and Chevy 1/2 ton diesel 2018 +2019...Ram 2014, both had 6 spd. autos in 2014 with Ram at 8. If I wanted to preview a 2019 Chevy or Ford, you could have asked to borrow my 14' Ram.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jul 19, 2017 11:21:02 AM

Big, thirsty V8s are becoming yesterday's news.

Posted by: All#1 | Jul 19, 2017 11:46:48 AM

I think the Hemi is a great V8 as well with alot of the same design elements of the G.M. V8's. However Ram is the only one with Cast Iron blocks. I love the cross flow heads on Hemi's

@All#1,
Big thirsty V8s might be old news, but nowadays it's small thirsty turbo engines.

A gallon of gas is a gallon of gas whether it is burnt via a V8 or a thirsty EcoSieze.

Really, read up on how many disappointed Ford F150 customers there are with the thirsty 2.7 EcoSieze.

I mean even Wards refused to test the F150 EcoSieze due to it's ridiculous FE of 15.4mpg, when driven normally.

I drove a Hemi Ram around for a while and it gave me 14mpg and I gave it a gutful now and then and driving in Miami traffic.

So, gas burnt is gas burnt, dollars spent.

If you want good FE then talk diesel, turbo diesel.