2017 State Fair of Texas Promises Premium Pickup News

IMG_5364 II

Every year, the big pickup truck makers set up some of the largest product displays on the planet at the State Fair of Texas to entice consumers in the biggest pickup truck market on the planet to buy their trucks. We're not arguing with the logic of that marketing strategy, but it does make for an interesting beginning to auto-show season, which starts with the fair in September and continues on through the Special Equipment Market Association Show in Las Vegas in October, the Los Angeles Auto Show in November, the Detroit auto show in January, and finally the Chicago Auto Show in February. And at every stop along the way, you can bet pickup trucks will be holding a prominent spot.

In Texas, each of the big truck makers will have large displays and some kind of news to pass along to a waiting media. The quality of that news, however, will vary greatly; in years past, we've heard everything from warmed-up sales figures to a world premiere of an entirely new product to a segment. This year is likely to be more of the same, with pickup truck sales being the only real bright spot in the U.S. automotive sales market so far this year.

Although many of the manufacturers are being tight-lipped, we're hearing Ford and Ram will both have something in the premium-priced segments, while Chevrolet is looking to emphasize the longevity and loyalty of their customer base and Nissan will give us a closer look at their Midnight Edition pickups. GMC, Toyota and Honda are likely to be relatively quiet.

We'll have more details later this week, with several videos to follow.

Cars.com photo by Mark Williams; teaser photos from Ram and Chevrolet

SFOT Teaser Ram news hint for 2017 SFoT[1] II

SFOT Teaser Heritage_Bowtie_Teaser II

Comments

One of the best state fairs. If you haven't been you should make plans to do it

I'll be there, I like how they mention Ford and Ram will bring news while chevy touts longevity. They got that right, they are the longest when it comes to putting something new out...

Ford and Ram are bringing something new to the table. GM will just bring talking points so the Fanboys don't feel so bad. How pathetic. This is why Chevy is losing sales.

Texas is solid FORD Country! Shakin Chevy might as well stay away.

That bowtie in the picture above in art.

@gms, they found it laying on the ground, said it must have shaken off.

The bowtie above looks really good, I hope they will incorporate.
I will be surprised if they keep the 5.3 for another generation. Not a bad engine for its day but like the 5.4 it had it good points and bad points, years it was solid and years it should be avoided.

Is Chevy bringing back the LongHorn?

The bowtie above looks really good, I hope they will incorporate.

Posted by: Firefighter | Sep 25, 2017 2:35:09 PM

Please don't do the 5.3 the injustice of being compared to the 5.4. Most of 5.4's life it was an unreliable, poor mileage getting, and crappy torque curve excuse of a V8. Mod motors are the exact reason you have a screaming, snail boiling, small displacement V6 with high maintenance cam trains and water pumps that dump coolant in the crankcase when they fail.

Hopefully someday Ford will get out of the dark days of poor American reliability born in the 70's and 80's but until then we keep waiting, and watching another 400,000 Fords and Rams get recalled.

Until then, if you want reliability that is now on par with the rest of the world, from an American truck, you buy GM.

I don't do fairs. Honda is the quiet strong type. They know their buyers and don't need to make a lot of noise to get attention like GM is set on doing.

GM needs this fair in a bad way more than Nissan, Honda, Ford RAM or Toyota.

Hopefully someday GM will get out of the dark days of poor American reliability that GM Was the poster boy for in the 70's and 80's. Until then we keep waiting, for GM to get It together and off the Gov't teet. Meanwhile we will watch the best built tough FORD's roll by while another 400,000 GM's get recalled.
When you want reliability, in a truck, you buy FORD.

@andrwken,
I have owned several 5.4s and they have been flawless. I know people who have had trouble with them but the same goes for 5.3 Chevy. When recently shopping for a truck I was told by die hard Chevy fans to avoid numerous years for an array of head and ring issues. Know of several people needing new crate engine due to these issues. Are they all bad? Absolutely not but it is time for Chevy to move on to move on.
All manufacturers have they strengths and weaknesses. Keep an open mind find what is best for your application.

I wonder if Ford may show us the Ranger

I wonder if Ford may show us the Ranger

please visit our web, we provide updated and hottest information, Come visit our website ,,,, !!!!!

please visit our web, we provide updated and hottest information, Come http://www.ducatiok.com/2017/06/03/ducati-dan-honda-mengantar-fase-aerodinamika-motogp-berikutnya/

If you ask me, the 2 trucks that truly represent the Grand Republic are the Toyota Tundra and Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. Why? BECAUSE THEY ARE BUILT IN TEXAS. And I feel that since Toyota and GM have plants in Texas, AND EMPLOY TEXANS, they will get my business. Nuff' said.

Toyota went to TX for the tax breaks and free money and free land to build the plant, not because they support Texans. And where is Toyota adding production to? The Mexican plant that pays $3 an HR, not the Texas one. Oxi and you need to stop wrapping Toyota in the US flag. They don't care about you.

Toyota went to TX for the tax breaks and free money and free land... They don't care about you. Posted by: Ken | Sep 26, 2017

@Ken

Texas is one choice.

New York is another. New York has high taxes, an anti-business legislature, an anti business state's attorney, an anti business environmental record and few incentives.

So, given the avalaible choices---where would YOU locate your new manufacturing plant?

@big Bob, what about the frames that are made in Mexico? Just saying if your gonna tout American made, dont forget about those frames.

@Roadwhale

“Gas prices are getting cheaper by the day,” said the AAA spokesperson. “Pump prices may not be dropping as fast as motorists would like, but with the consumer demand beginning to slow and Gulf Coast refineries getting closer to normal operations, consumers can expect gas prices to continue to be less expensive through October.”

With Fiat, Ford and Nissan pushing special/new editions, and GM just giving marketing dribble it sounds like a lean year.

@andrwken,

Posted by: Firefighter | Sep 25, 2017 4:42:51 PM

Thanks for the response, but I can assure you, coming from a background where I spent 20 years turning wrenches, the mod motors from Ford have been underwhelming and not very reliable. Especially when you consider the motors they replaced (Windsor motors, 300 I6 were bulletproof compared to 5.4's and 4.6's). A colleague of mine who used to work in R&D for Ford motor development even admitted the 4.6 was initially designed for cars like Mustangs and Crown Vics, which explains how hopelessly anemic it was in the late 90's when they dumped it in trucks.

Any motor can have issues, I'll give you that. But Ford has had cam phaser/timing chain issues on the 5.4 since it went 3 valve. You can still see people talking about having these issues up to 2011 when they stopped using the 5.4. It was never really corrected. It's never good when you can read sites that state not to buy a 5.4 if your looking for a used f-150.

So I will definitely try and keep and open mind for you, but facts sometimes get in the way of just being nice about everything out there. The problem with trucks is that people get so damn brand loyal, they don't vote with their wallet when they get a vehicle that is poor. I ask people all the time when they are bitching about problems and costs associated with one truck or another why the hell are you going to buy another one?

As for why I have the preference I do,

I have had two 5.3's go over 250k. First one would use a quart of oil every 5k at the end but no head or ring issues. Both drivetrains got an alternator, 1 had a power steering pump fail, and the other lost a water pump. Never cracked a bolt on either block. My current 6.2L has 165k on it and the drivetrain has yet to have any failure. Keep clean oil in them and forget about them. The only problem I have with the 5.3's is the horrible torque management and throttle response.

andrwken, The chevy's I owned had mainly driveline/reaer end issues, specifically the reaer end due to towing all the time, neither of those trucks went more than 120K without major work. The 5.3 personally faired well but the pedal lag has always been there. the newer ones as well. I have no real experience with the ecoboost, only the new 5.0, and the diesel I currently have, those both have been great with no lag, and engines and drivelines great.

@andrwken

Ford beat the 5.4 mule right up to 2016 in the Expedition if I remember correctly

Posted by: Nitro | Sep 26, 2017 9:22:01 AM

I have no major time behind the wheel of the ecoboost 3.5. just some test drives or a friends vehicle. I have been watching intently as I'm curious to see how it fares once you start to get a lot of 5-7 year motors in the wild, which is happening now. So we shall see if a motor of this type will deliver the longevity I feel we should expect at this point. What good is rust proofing the truck if the motors won't go 10 years without major work?

The early 5.3's did not have the horrible throttle the later generations did. The 6.2 gets away with it in my opinion because it is just that much stronger on the bottom end and very linear. Whether your mashing the throttle or driving soft, it is just smooth acceleration. I will definitely look to test drive a 6.2 with the 10 speed as I'm still running a 6 speed.

Ultimately I don't have an issue with boosted engines or v8's, I just want great reliability with the prices they charge. Personally I want a small displacement v8 around 4.0L that has a milder boost than the current v6's. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

The Chevy is a 2018 Centennial edition which is a LTZ crewcab with 22s and Heritage badging and logos. Read about it on some other site. Not my cup of tea.

Heritage badge must mean it just like the truck was 10 years ago...

Heritage badge must mean it just like the truck was 10 years ago...

Posted by: Nitro | Sep 26, 2017 1:44:22 PM

It's actually going to be the Centennial Badge, just like the truck was 100 years ago.

@Andrwken, you think the torque curve in the 5.3 is superior to the 5.4? Seriously? You obviously haven't towed with both engines. The 5.4 is way torquier.

If your going to tout Ford, don't forget the 6.7L Powerstroke is proudly made in Mexico.

Nice looking Chevrolet logo. Superior to the current iteration.

The 5.4 is way torquier.

Posted by: Alex | Sep 26, 2017 3:04:14 PM

HAHAHAHA! Funniest thing I heard all day, just drove my friend's 5.4L with 142,000 on it. That thing is the biggest dog I ever drove.

Posted by: Big Bob | Sep 26,
/QUOTE

So where is your phone and computer made??China or Korea??

The 5.4 is way torquier.

Posted by: Alex | Sep 26, 2017 3:04:14 PM

HaHaHa! Bud, you need to get out more.

Posted by: Alex | Sep 26, 2017 3:04:14 PM

The 5.4 was better at low end torque. The 5.3 runs out of breathe

The 5.4 is way torquier.

Posted by: Alex | Sep 26, 2017 3:04:14 PM

HaHaHa! Bud, you need to get out more.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Sep 26, 2017 6:03:18 PM

I've driven and towed with both, you're an idiot. GTFO

I've driven and towed with both, you're an idiot. GTFO

Posted by: Frank | Sep 26, 2017 6:08:37 PM

Where are all those 5.4 now? Oh, I know, scraped.

The 5.4 was $hit engine. Accept it and move on.

The 5.4 was better at low end torque. The 5.3 runs out of breathe
Posted by: Frank | Sep 26, 2017 6:03:20 PM

Posted by: Nitro | Sep 26, 2017 9:22:01 AM

The Ford 8.8" is a garbage axle. The cheap Chinese pinion bearings are well-known for premature failure. The axle tubes are famous for spinning the rivets at the pumpkin. A lot of guys end up welding the tubes to the pumpkin.

Ford engines are some of the least reliable trash out there. Between the 5.4 Triton, 3.5EB, and the embarrassments that were the 6.0 (aka 6-blow) and 6.4 Powerstrokes, Ford has built a legacy of junk engines. Anybody still running a 6.0 or 6.4 has dumped thousands into "bulletproofing" them because of all the junk design elements in those engines. The 6.7 PSD is decent but man do they have a lot of problems with the fuel system yet. And if you talk to anybody that's had a CP4 die on their 6.7, they'll tell you that Ford will blame you and wash their hands of it. Talk about an expensive repair.

Lol, ok the 5.3 felt underpowered down low. Sheesh

WOW! Chevy has finally unveiled the new 2019 Silverado which is just like the 2018 with a new improved Chevy badge!! Aww man that is exciting!! BAM Ford fan gurls take that technology in your face! Posted by: papajim | Sep 26, 2017

@PUTC

Not my post.

@papajim,

Quite frankly, nobody cares who post under your name, seriously. Not even PUTC, go change your oil.

@Papajim: "So, after a few short weeks the situation returns to normal. To Roadwhale and all of the other commenters who wanted to rave over hurricane related rising gas prices, it only took a few weeks to normalize. Let this be a lesson to you."

Actually, no it hasn't. Gas prices are still nearly 30¢ above summer rates where I live despite not being affected by any storms, though I agree it has come down a little. I'm not betting on it falling again until BEVs make a bigger showing in registrations.

@roadwhale

re fuel prices, you have been wrong on this topic for so long, why change now.

The AAA predicts that prices will be back to normal within a couple of months, which you will surely recall was my own exact statement 3 weeks ago when you (and others) were all predicting the end of the bloody world.

AAA says that the refineries will all be back online much sooner than previously imagined. AAA also said that fuel supplies, and current demand, are in much closer alignment than many had predicted just a few weeks ago.

Sound familiar?

I really hope Chevy does something for Chevy truck's 100th anniversary.
I am a long time Chevy/GM buyer (hence the name) but in recent years I have been disappointed in Chevy's (GM's) effort to be an "also ran". No courage, no inspiration. Just sticker packages and black wheels. Limited interior choices (I'm from the deep south, BLACK interior does not work here) no two-tone paint schemes lackluster trim names and levels.
Please Chevy, get the 100th right.

Wow you really don't have any clue what you're talking about. No engine is going to "run out of breathe" under 5k RPM. Posted by: HD RamKing | Sep 26, 2017

@HD Ramking

Frank?

The guy is hopeless. I bet his Ford dealer used that line on him when one of his F150s was running on 7 cylinders.