2018 Ram 1500 Preview

2018 Ram 1500 Limited Tungsten 1 II

Competes with: Ford F-150, Chevrolet Silverado 1500, GMC Sierra 1500, Nissan Titan, Toyota Tundra

Looks like: The 2017 Ram 1500

Drivetrain: 240-horsepower, turbo-diesel 3.0-liter V-6; 305-hp, 3.6-liter gas V-6; 395-hp, Hemi 5.7-liter V-8; eight-speed transmission; two- or four-wheel drive

Hits dealerships: Late 2017

For model-year 2018, the Ram 1500 pickup truck does not have many changes, but it does offer some interesting improvements and a new trim level. The 2018 Ram 1500 continues to offer class-exclusive features such as the RamBox lockable dual storage box, coil springs on the rear suspension, a four-corner airbag suspension option and the only small diesel available in the half-ton pickup class.

For 2018, the Ram 1500 offers 11 different trims including three different Laramie luxury trims and the brand-new Limited Tungsten trim at the top of the lineup. The 10 other trims are: Tradesman, Express, SLT, HFE, Big Horn/Lone Star, Lone Star Silver, Sport, Night, Rebel, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn and Laramie Limited.

Ram 1500s come in three different wheelbases to accommodate five different cab and bed configurations. Regular cabs can be had with 6-foot 4-inch or 8-foot beds; Quad Cabs come with a 6-foot 4-inch bed; and crew cabs have 5-foot 7-inch or 6-foot 4-inch beds. Buyers have a choice of 12 paint colors — some exclusive to trim levels — and a variety of accents that includes chrome, body-color or black-out paint details.

For 2018, the 1500 will continue to offer three different engine choices: the turbo-diesel 3.0-liter V-6 that makes EPA ratings of 20/27/23 mpg city/highway/combined; the 3.6-liter V-6 gas engine offering EPA ratings of 17/25/20 mpg; and the Hemi 5.7-liter V-8 that offers EPA ratings of 15/22/17 mpg. According to Ram, the 1500 HFE gets 21/29/24 mpg.

Here's a list of the upgrades and changes to the 2018 Ram 1500:

• A brand-new ultra-luxurious top-of-the-line Limited Tungsten edition
  • Limited Tungsten edition pickups can be had as a Premium model
  • Sport models can be upgraded with an appearance package
  • Rebel models now offer a leather interior option
  • Backup cameras are standard on all models
  • Truck beds have a remote switch to activate LED bed lights
  • An optional package that includes the 8.4-inch radio screen with 4G LTE, HD Radio, Android Auto, Apple Car Play, USB flip and pinch to zoom with improved graphics resolution
  • Sirius Guardian with SOS Call, Roadside Assistance, Remote Services, Send and Go, and Vehicle Finder is available as an optional package

Manufacturer images

2018 Ram 1500 Rebel Mojave Sand

2018 Ram 1500 Rebel Sand Mojave II

2018 Ram 1500 Night 2WD

2018 Ram 1500 Night II

2018 Ram 1500 Harvest Edition

2018HarvestRam5pbdrr3o61fadjt4tt1ftjelfp II

Comments

You need professional help Jim

Same old very tired design, they're desperate.

we had chevy's at work, but they got dumped in the fleet due to all the issues, we are now Ford.

Posted by: Nitro | Sep 12, 2017 8:48:12 AM

Issues, what issues? Can you be more specific? I know I sure can be more specific with the Ford issues.

Still candles in the headlights?

@GMS. BTW these are all the same issues everyone complains about on the forums(twin forums), so they are common.

2015 Silverado cracked plug(twice)

2012 Silverado durmax number 5 injector (@ 62K miles)

2015 Silverado same truck as first one dash went out, replaced not under warranty.

the 2012 was a sweet ride (yes even for a chevy) I actually really liked the durmax, especially pushing snow with it, but wouldnt buy one.

We have 4 other chevy's besides these with minor problems, Check engine-sensors, things like that. They are all gone, now have all 250's mix of gas and diesel. 2012-2016.

Not my comment. I would not lower myself to call papa jim that. A jackass yes.

Nice truck.

No doubt about it the Fiat has stayed relevant with a modern V6, the eco diesel, the rear coil springs and the 4 corner air bags and made gains on GM. Waiting to see if GM can initiate some momentum by actually having some innovation in their next half ton. Its too soon to tell but outside of the baby dmax expectations should be kept low. So a minor refresh and new trim level for the Fiat as it nears the end of its cycle. The Fiat kids will LOVE it... the rest of us will see it for what it is... minor refinement on a competent competitor.

No R/T ?

Posted by: Nitro | Sep 12, 2017 8:48:12 AM

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Sep 12, 2017 11:09:46 AM

Looks like the minion is at it again.

Just saw the new F-150, with the long overdue refresh. Talk about innovation, have you seen the new grille? I wonder if the grille is made from some space age material discovered by NASA. Ford puts the stamp on innovation once again.

Wow, you keep proving to be a clown 2.7EcoboostRoost. Ford is a cheap cheap china junk parts using company.

Enjoy you fake US Fords, 90% of them are made in Mexico with cheap cheap china parts. :)
Posted by: johnny doe | Sep 12, 2017 4:13:07 AM

Hey Clown, you just reiterated what I posted. F-150 is #2 in American content #1 for a pickup. GM fullsize twins, that don't sell as much as #1 Ford, are in 16th place overall according to the "facts" you posted. This is higher than any list I can find, but still leaps and bounds behind Americas favorite truck brand, Ford. With 85% American index, the best never rest. You should be happy with the 2nd place brand and manufacturer full size truck sales achievement. BTW, stop creating usernames CLOWN.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Sep 12, 2017 4:07:56 PM

Who cares? The new Fords have the 10spd that you claimed GM engineered that a 2 second google search proved was not the case. Enjoy being the number 2 full size truck, until RAM passes you.

@2.7EcoboostRoost

I just double-checked and this is about the 2018 RAM half ton. Thought you might like to know.

@Nitro: The issues you listed about the GM trucks are minor. Nothing that will leave you stranded or needing a tow truck. However, the following is common problems with the F- Sisters.
- timing chains and guides,
- turbos,
- EGR coolers,
- carbon-up cylinder heads,
- blown head gaskets.
- failed front and rear diffs,
- water contaminated throttle bodies,
- failed cam phasers,
- blown out spark plugs,
- broken water pumps.
- I know of a two 6.7 Litre engine failures and both were denied warranty by Ford. Ford claimed water was in the fuel how ever the water in fuel warning did not function. Go figure.

Posted by: 2.7EcoboostRoost | Sep 12, 2017 4:21:14 PM

This is 2017, why so long getting a more fuel efficient transmission like RAM and GM owners has been enjoying for several years now. Ford late to the game once again.

2015 Silverado cracked plug(twice)

2012 Silverado durmax number 5 injector (@ 62K miles)

Posted by: Nitro | Sep 12, 2017 12:14:24 PM

The 6.7's have just as many if not more issues that are quite common. Broken glow plugs, cracked exhaust valves, cracked heads, HPFP failures, injector failures, etc. And that's not counting the death wobble problems (affecting even low mileage trucks), ball joint problems, the flimsy ladder frame causing body mounts to get chewed up and radiators to crack repeatedly. Pretty idiotic to switch brands over such minor things.

Posted by: 2.7EcoboostRoost | Sep 12, 2017 4:21:14 PM

Ford engineered it no question, but the 10-speed is obviously based on the engineering work Ford and GM did when they collaborated on the 6-speeds. They simply split the work load this time, GM working on the 9-speed for them to share, and Ford handling the 10-speed transmission they desperately needed.

When the new GM 10 speed takes a dump the GM Trvlls will blame Ford for building/engineering.

When the new 10 speed rakes in Awards and is Applauded for innovation/engineering the GM trvlls will say GM build.

Do you see how this work, you can't argue with mental retardation.

Posted by: Brick | Sep 12, 2017 5:05:11 PM

Just goes to show you that GM was already behind with the 9-speed. Ford went straight to the 10-Speed

Speaks volumes.

Fact is none of them are as reliable, long lasting, tough, retain resale like the Tundra. It's not even close, I will acknowledge that the big 3 get better fuel efficiency. Ill more than make that up in better resale over the lifetime of my truck.

My Tundra gets me home, every time, priceless.

Posted by: DudlyDoRight | Sep 11, 2017 5:42:53 PM

Tough? LOL
Toyota Triple-tec frame in all its flimsy glory.

The tundra wins in resale value, but they have the worst rust rot of any full-size sold today, chug fuel like only an Ecoboost can, the rear axles are known for bad bearings, the front diff has always been plagued by vibration issues, the 6sp transmission is is known to develop slipping problems once it approaches 100k miles (and its sealed so you're probably stuck letting a dealerr service it), Toyota parts are insanely overpriced (an $80 air injection pump from AC Delco costs close to $800 from Toyota despite being identical), the 5.7 is still plagued by oil leaks from the cam towers and rear main seal, the center carrier support has a history of vibration issues, the electrical systems on the 2nd gens is hit or miss (some trucks no problem, others are plagued with electrical gremlins), etc. The flimsy frame really bothers me, considering it only gets worse as rust rot sets in after a few years. You end up with the bed hitting the cab, cab mounts get worn out faster, and the truck just doesn't feel confidence inspiring when towing pr hauling on twisty roads. Between the horrible fuel economy, 90's era interior quality, and premium price Toyota wants for their supposed "reliability", the Tundra isn't worth. NoQDRTundra demonstrated that with his website quite well.

Do you see how this work, you can't argue with mental retardation.

Posted by: Frank | Sep 12, 2017 5:41:35 PM

Frank, this is getting just a little embarrassing. Why are you arguing with yourself?

Enjoy being the number 2 full size truck, until RAM passes you.

Posted by: 2.7EcoboostRoost | Sep 12, 2017 4:21:14 PM

I already told you I have a 6.2 in my Silverado. I don't need to look in my review mirror anymore. No one is passing me.

What a beautiful truck. Used to be a loyal Ford fan, do not like them lately...fords are still nice trucks but wouldn't want to have one in the driveway. Nothing to do with quality of the truck. All you bashing on the ram, just go take one for a drive with a open mind. They are very fine trucks. Absolutely fine trucks with a excellent drivetrain. Am a tech at a ford/chrysler dealership, work on them both. Some things never change with both manufacturers, always a down side to something. Just learn to deal with it and enjoy the truck. Chryslers offering has a edge over Ford's, if only people would get over brand loyaly. if you buy a Ford you get limited warranty. Buy a Chrysler with a lifetime maxcare warranty, anything that ever goes wrong in the LIFE of the vehicle will only ever cost $100 to fix at a dealership of your choice. Don't even start with "Ford's don't have problems", most of the Ford's I work on are customer pay in the thousands of dollars, but brand loyalty caused that. Chrysler is every bit as competitive as Ford. Drive what you like, I won't hate on someone else's opinion of vehicle, after all they are the ones making payments on it, my thoughts on THEIR vehicle doesn't matter. Just makes me happy i dont own it. With all that being said, quit being so hateful on the comment section pretending like your own dump doesn't stink. Drive them all and appreciate their offerings, choose the one you like. Why is that so hard?

@XD9

The smart guys at Consumer Reports rate the RAM high on everything except Reliability and Customer Sat. Toyota gets dings for most of their truck, but high marks for Customer Sat and Reliability. GM and Ford get the middle.

BTW, despite what the Ford boys on this site say, CR never mentions problems with shaking front end. Ford gets good points for its truck with only minor dings.

Your comment about the RAM rang true for me. In my area the lease deals at the RAM dealers make the V8 Ram 1500 a very attractive option.

edit.

BTW, despite what the Ford boys on this site say, CR never mentions GM problems with shaking front end. Ford gets good points for its truck with only minor dings.

I bought a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel in 2016. My last truck had been a Ford with the 3.5L Ecoboost motor. While my Ford may have been quicker in a straight line, I smile a lot more driving my Ram.

If I keep it under 75, I can get pretty close to 30-33 mpg on the highway and I can fit my family of 5 in the truck. The air suspension makes the ride quite comfy. Also nice to lower it down for my in-laws to get in easier.

The fit and finish have been good and it seems to be holding up quite nicely overall. I can tow a 5000# trailer and get better mileage than my Ford did empty. When running empty I can get over 700 miles on a tank and still have a few mile left in it before having to fill up.

Never had any issues starting when it was -25F either. It has totally replaced my car as my daily driver. Only complaints were really the stock headlights and fogs. A quick swap out with LEDs of the color temps I wanted, not what most factories put in there, and I about as happy as can be. I was pretty much set on Ford but since buying this Ram I'll definitely look there first before anywhere else whenever I finally retire this truck.

Looks like the minion is at it again.

Posted by: Frank | Sep 12, 2017 4:04:53 PM

Glad you noticed, now please learn to control yourself....

Both the 9-speed and 10-speed were co-developed. Taking the lead on a project has nothing to do with which company provides more or less engineering prowess. These two transmissions will have no superiority over the competitors except for software.

Although Ford seems to be outsourcing a ton of development these days. The ecoboost engines were co-developed by FEV and Mazda. They must have realized the in-house team on the Tritons wasnt going to get it done on their own.

Outsourcing engine and transmission development? What next? American axle rear ends? Everyone knows the 14 bolt is superior to the Ford designs.

The ecoboost engines were co-developed by FEV and Mazda. They must have realized the in-house team on the Tritons wasnt going to get it done on their own. Outsourcing engine and transmission development? What next? Posted by: andrwken | Sep 12, 2017

@andrwken

You mention Mazda in re: Ford product dev, especially engines. Don't forget Volvo too. Between Volvo and Mazda, much of Ford's development dates back to corporate acquisitions and alliances they formed back in the 1990s. Why? Because, as you point out, Ford's internal teams (much like those at GM and Chrysler, let's be fair) had dreadfully long "time to market" performance.

The Koreans are getting designs from the drawing board to the new car showroom in record time. GM/Ford/Ram? Not so much.

So Ford's solution, back in the 1990s when the US Dollar was very strong in global markets was to BUY engineering help from the likes Volvo, Porsche/VW and especially Mazda. There many examples.

@gms, again I can only comment on my own experience, I have owned GMs, never again will I unless they come out with something that is really innovative and new....my Powerstorke, no issues what so ever, actually the first truck I owned with this many miles and no issues.

Posted by: papajim | Sep 13, 2017 4:35:33 AM

The ecoboost engine is traced back to Mazda designs from the 90's. I'm not calling it a poor decision, just that it came from outside Ford's internal engine group. The Duramax is a similar situation.

I would argue that GM currently is doing a great job getting motor development pushed through. Even though some would argue based on feature sets they are not innovative, how can you argue with the mileage/power the GM small blocks are putting out? If the features become necessary, so be it, but the simple elegance of these designs should not be dismissed. Especially considering they can put out similar numbers without turbocharging and DI. For all the people that talk torque on the 3.5TT, The two valve 6.2 is 25lbs. less torque at 2k, same at 3k, and 40 more at 4k. The new 3.5 makes 10 more ft. lbs. than the 6.2 at 3500 rpm instead of 4000 for the 6.2. People can talk numbers but I would find that hard to notice any difference that isn't offset from gearing and truck setup. All that from a 2 valve old school v8.

I really hope GM is testing that 4.2LTT V8 in the pickups and not just the Cadillac's. A 500 hp/tq TTV8 with cylinder deactivation and DOHC would be a killer top tier truck engine in the Denali's, Escalade's, and High Country's!

As for the Koreans,

I'm not on board with their drive trains yet. Too much mileage fudging up until recently suggests behind the curve yet.

@ Brick

That was an impressive list of complaints by the ford guys on their forums. Reading them shows that not just Ford, but "MOST" big businesses doesn't care about the consumer. Its all about making money and that is sad.

I see no issue with design outsourcing - it's a global market. Three important engines Ford did design in house 5.0 Coyote (this is what the mod motor should have been from day one) and it's flat plane variant 5.2. Boss 6.2 or Hurricane depending on who you talk to, and the latest Scorpion 6.7 diesel. All competitive in performance and reliability.

Posted by: Grnzel1 | Sep 13, 2017 10:37:30 AM

Totally agree.

I was so put off by the drives of the "modular motors" in the late 90's and early 2000's that I swore off the Ford trucks. They had some horrible powerbands that would leave the engine screaming in 2nd gear and unable to gain ground in 3rd while towing. (that was a 5.4!) The Vortec 350 was still the best motor back then. Smooth, low end torque, and 14MPG all day. Just what you want, lol. The 5.3 has always been "torque light" on the low end compared to the old 5.7.

My current 6.2 is one of the best motors I've driven in the last 5 years. The overall package works great, has enough power, and can still pull 20's for mpg.

I will buy a TT engine When they drop the radical boost and raise the displacement. Give me the low rpm torque of the turbos with less boost in a small displacement v8.

@andrwken

I confess that I didn't like GM's direction back in the last '90s when their design team decided to move away from DOHC truck (and big SUV) engines. After owning a GM Gen 4 motor now for 8 years I cannot begin to express how happy I've been with mine.

To me, the 32 valve DOHC engine (any brand) gets its biggest advantage at engine speeds north of 5000 RPM.

Average SUV and Pickup owners simply don't rev their motors that hard in daily driving. My Silverado probably has not been run that hard more than ONE percent of its life. Seems crazy to build an engine for the 1 percent.

The 2 valve pushrod motor that most of us grew up with is still king. And they can be built for power too. Look at the 2 valve Cup engines in NASCAR as an example. Surviving in races for 3 or 4 hrs at 7000 RPMs plus!

The 2018 Rams are chock full of trash.

Posted by: GMS | Sep 11, 2017 1:30:46 PM

Really? And how many 2018 Rams do you own?

Posted by: papajim | Sep 13, 2017 1:53:17 PM

Exactly. The 32-valve V8's is great in a sports car where you can take advantage of a 7k or 8k RPM redline, but when that engine is in a truck, it's pointless. It adds complexity, cost, and hurts reliability. Stretched timing chains, broken timing chain guides, timing chain tensioner failures, cam phaser failures, etc. Even the oil pump failures in the 5.0 Coyote are a result of ultra-high engine speeds.

GM has gotten really, really good at making great flowing 2-valve heads. There's little reason to add the complexity and parasitic losses that come with a DOHC 32-valve design. Especially for trucks.

@Grizz
I respectfully disagree with your comparasion - at least in the case of the Ford 5.0 vs GM 5.3.
GM 5.3
355 hp @ 5600
382 tq @ 4100
Coyote
385 @ 5750 (150 rpm more)
400 @ 3650 (450 rpm less)
In this case max HP is arguably produced at the same RPM. The 32 valve DOHC design has the pushrod design beat with TQ produced at a noticeably lower RPM. It would be interesting to compare the Hemi to the Nissan and Toyota 5.7s to see if this trend continues. DOHC motors have their issues as well but they do perform at least as well as an equlivent displacement pushrod motor. I don't understand why people call the Coyote a car engine when it performs like everyone else's V8s?

DOHC motors have their issues as well but they do perform at least as well as an equlivent displacement pushrod motor. Posted by: Grnzel1 | Sep 14, 2017

@grnzel1

It was clear to me that Grizz was referring to a V8 design that is intrinsically more complex, regardless of brand. GM engineers made a determination about 20 years ago based on their years of experience building the Cadillac NorthStar 32 valve V8 engines.

They simply cost more to build than a comparable V8 16 valve engine--regardless of brand. Over the life of the engine there are a lot more things to go wrong.

Examples

A. 4 camshafts instead of one
B. twice as many valves, valve springs and all the associated little bits.

GM's people figured that most of us typically aren't going to operate an engine in the RPM range where multi valve heads gain their greatest advantage---this part is key (in a V8). In four cylinder and small six cylinder engines they do get buzzed pretty hard in daily driving.

@Grizz
GM 5.3
355 hp @ 5600
382 tq @ 4100
Coyote
385 @ 5750 (150 rpm more)
400 @ 3650 (450 rpm less)

Posted by: Grnzel1 | Sep 14, 2017 6:38:28 AM

Look at the power band on these engines though.

For all the bitching about the 5.3, the torque curve crosses the 300 ft lb threshold by 1700 rpm. It never drops below 300 ft lbs for the rest of the rpm range. The coyote 5.0 needs to get to 2700 rpm to hit 300 ft lbs and drops off at 5000. Very peaky as well where the 5.3 has a very flat torque curve. GM needs to fix it's terrible throttle response which is why these engines feel doggy.

This is the example I made earlier of the mod motors having bad torque curves. We pulled a camper with a 2003 f-150 5.4, and at 50 mph it was struggling and losing speed. when it downshifted, the rpm ran up to 4500, the truck just sat and screamed while we gained no speed. Let off and it would upshift and lose speed again. the drive train could not support the load it was supposed to be able to tow. Some of that has been remedied with more gears, but the Ford v8's need more gears than the GM small blocks due to peaky torque curves.

The 5.7 tahoe we pulled that same camper with would need to downshift as well on grade, but it would pull back up to speed no problem.

This is also why in my opinion, people who came from Ford v8's are amazed by the ecoboost. The mod motor torque curves make the 3.5 feel like a diesel. The old Ford 302 and 351 were better pullers in my opinion.

The old Ford 302 and 351 were better pullers in my opinion.
Posted by: andrwken | Sep 14, 2017

@andrwken

Absolutely.

The Ford Windsor V8s were smart and durable designs. With nothing more than modern electronic controls and better fuel injection the Windsors would be right at home in pickups and large SUVs today.

Absolutely.

Posted by: papajim | Sep 14, 2017 7:30:19 AM

Well gosh darn it, a pig just flew by. Agreed.

I won't debate the 5.3 gets into its torque sooner than a 5.0. In your example of towing, it's not about torque, it's about horsepower - torque gets you moving, horsepower keeps you moving. I've towed a 7000# travel trailer with a 5.0 in a 2013 f150 and I could maintain speed 70ish running on i80 to snowshoe PA, with reserve power. Yes, that Coyote was spinning nearly 4000 RPM but it wasn't stressed by it. It performed fine on that long climb. Since then I've traded up to a 2017 SD with the revised 6.2. I'd argue it's Fords best V8 in decades. The mod years were crap (except for the V10 and rare versions) I'm a Ford guy and have little defense for the 4.6 and 5.4 dogs. Glad someone in Dearborn got smart with the 5.0 and 6.2. I think they are finally a respectful pair of V8s produced by Ford since the Windsor and my personal fav Clevelands

Posted by: andrwken | Sep 14, 2017 7:21:26 AM

The latest 5.3 gets a bad rap. GM plays with the cam phasing just off idle, maybe for emissions reasons since the latest small blocks don't have EGR's. The factory trans tuning is probably also to blame. I've driven 2014 Silverado 5.3's that didn't have any engine mod besides an EFI Live tune. The difference was AMAZING. It definitely changed my mind about the 5.3.

Grnzel1 - I didn't mean to single out Ford for their DOHC problems. There are plenty of DOHC engines from other manufacturers that have issues due to the massive number of parts and huge timing chains they require.

My point was that the advantages of DOHC, namely higher rev limits and improved volumetric efficiency, aren't really needed for pickup trucks. All it does is add complexity at the cost of reliability, increase costs to build/maintain/repair, and takes up more space in the engine bay. Pushrod engines may require bigger displacements but they're very fuel efficient thanks to modern advancements like direct fuel injection, variable valve timing, etc.

he Ford Windsor V8s were smart and durable designs. With nothing more than modern electronic controls and better fuel injection the Windsors would be right at home in pickups and large SUVs today. Posted by: papajim | Sep 14, 2017

Well gosh darn it, a pig just flew by. Agreed.
Posted by: Frank | Sep 14, 2017

@Frank

I grew up in a Ford family. My dad worked his whole life hoping someday to have a new Lincoln. By the time he could afford one,; they were no longer anything special.

I had a few good Fords and one that was truly great. Unfortunately for Ford, my Olds and my Chevys were better cars. I was shopping for an F150 when I bought my current pickup. The Chevy deal was better.

I'm not a brand bigot but I don't like the direction that Ford took starting about 20 years ago. If I won the lottery tomorrow, my next truck could be a RAM, a GMC, a Titan or even a big SUV. If I could find a really clean Excursion V10 I'd probably have to buy it. They just did not make many, unfortunately.

Grizz - can't argue your point. Pushrod motors have their advantages, as you stated. Its taken Ford 20 years to make a decent DOHC V8.

Just curious, are any of those Ford modular V8 running today. I can assure you there are tons of those 5.3 chevy's running from as far back as the turn of the century.

The Ford 5.4's and 4.6's I see running today have at least one cracked/warped/leaking exhaust manifold. 2/3's have either a timing chain rattle or misfire problems because they don't bother changing the rear spark plugs. My co-worker has an 05 F-150 that makes the ugliest "RRRRAAAAPPP" noise on start up as the chains whip around. It also has an ugly noise once the oil's warmed up and the oil pump pressure starts to dip under 20psi. Another guy has 2001 F-150 with the 2-valve 5.4. He's on his 3rd engine. The 1st engine lost an oil pump while pulling his camper out west. The 2nd engine had a head gasket blow. The 3rd engine has about 10k on it.