August 2017 Pickup Sales Breakdown

17ram_3500_limited_megacab_es_35jpg_34939665064_o

August is usually the month when families squeeze in one last vacation before school starts, so purchasing a new vehicle gets lost on the to-do list. Add to that a good chunk of the country dealing with recovery from Hurricane Harvey while bracing for Hurricane Irma, and the fact that August pickup truck sales finished as well as they did is something of a miracle. September, and maybe October, sales will reflect some of the same challenges.

Regardless, here's how the numbers looked in August for mid-size and full-size pickups as well as by manufacturer. GM's three-truck strategy continues to keep the manufacturer in front of the strong-selling Ford F-Series. From Ford's perspective, the new Ranger (still at least two years away) cannot come soon enough.

The mid-size segment remained stable, meaning that the Toyota Tacoma and Chevrolet Colorado continued to sell well, while the GMC Canyon, Honda Ridgeline and Nissan Frontier continued to struggle, down in August by more than 19, 24 and 51 percent, respectively.

In terms of year-over-year sales, Ram and Ford are the only bright spots as Chevy, GMC and Toyota struggle in 2017 when compared to 2016's numbers. Still, fall is typically a strong selling season for full-size pickups because manufacturers want to make room on dealer lots for next year's models. No doubt each of the big truckmakers (except Toyota, which typically does not offer significant discounts) will be offering several thousand dollars in incentives on the hood of certain half-ton and three-quarter-ton pickups. But whether this tried-and-true sales method will work with rising fuel prices and weather-related regional pickup inventory shortages remains to be seen.

Since it will take several months for insurance companies to process hurricane-related claims and cut checks for flooded vehicles, related sales aren't likely to make their way into the system for quite a while.

Cars.com photos by Evan Sears and Angela Conners

Colorado Action 2 II

PUTC_saleschart_midsize_8.17 (002)

PUTC_saleschart_midsize_1-8.17

Group2a-tow_so_es-ac_03jpg_24176597931_o1 II

PUTC_saleschart_fullsize_8.17 (002)

PUTC_saleschart_fullsize_1-8.17

Chevy Action 1 II

PUTC_saleschart_manuf_8.17 (002)

PUTC_saleschart_manuf_1-8.17

Comments

That geezer said Ford used GM as a benchmark when they decided to bring back the Ranger. I wonder what she'll say when we tell her that GM used Ford as a benchmark to bring back the Camaro.

DEM GM Cheersquad boys don't get it.

GM stopped making trucks 20 years, what you're are buying now are over bloated caprice station wagons.

Gm created a bad thing. The small trucks are eating at the sales of full size. The same will happen with Ford. You walk into a showroom floor and things have prices. People own houses, you think they will rebuild their garage just to buy a full size truck? You think that they can't live without a crew cab that fits 6 foot tall people in the back easily? No! People don't buy trucks based on passengers. Suv and cars are passenger vehicles. Trucks are a fashion statement and if a cheaper option is available, that fits in your garage, cheaper to fuel up, cheaper to insure it will eat away at your full size sales. There is no way it won't. The vehicles sit on the same lot. You aren't going to convince anyone that spending more money will make you happier those days are over. The vehicle market is becoming the housing market fallout. When it comes time to buy right now people are already well versed in what mistakes they made previously trying to "keep up with the joneses". If I'm wrong you will see a credit crisis all over again so better hope not. A bailout happening again with the current leaders we have now will look nothing like it did before.

@Papa Jim--Honda Ridgeline sales are more than Canyon.

Just the facts.

@ Frank

Don't even bring in the camaro. it was producing 325 HP back in 2002...your junk mustang didn't produce that 2011. The new camaro EMBARRASSES the mustang in all categories...Your an idiot to even bring that up..MOROON!!!

As for the trucks. GM has made a way better truck the last 20 years....did you forget about your worthless 4.6L and 5.4L anchor engines that were in your trucks....oh ya! You probably forgot bc your IQ is dropping every time you enter junk Ford!

FORD STOCK 11.36 TREADING DOWN
GM STOCK 37.00 TREADING UP
Who cares who sells more stock holders dont!

The Mustang SVT made 320 in 2001. You're an idiot. The Mustang has never stopped production.

Honda Ridgeline sales are more than Canyon. Posted by: Jeff S | Sep 8, 2017

@NOT the real Jeff S

GM makes two models of the same truck, the Colorado and the Canyon. Both built on the same assembly line in Wentzville Mo.

Honda makes ONE pickup truck, the Ridgeline. Gen 1 and Gen 2. The Gen 2 is currently in production and has lame sales totals. The GM twins have sold appx 90 thousand in 2017.

The Ridgeline? About 23 k. Won't last long at that rate. Headed for the same fate as the Gen 1 Ridgeline, the CrossTour, the Element and the S2000.

Get one while they last

@ Frank

Your an absolute imbecile. That is an SVT you moroon. It also had a limited run!!! The regular GT only produced 260 then 300 out of its 4.6L until 2011. The mustang should stop production!! Its a joke..over rated muscle care

Plus the SVT with its supercharger, still couldn't beat the SS z28 Camaro that was naturally aspirated!. Know your facts you clown!!

@Frank: The 1997 30th Anniversary Camaro SLP edition produced 330 HP. But i'm sure you knew about those Mustang killer Camaros. What i'm surprised about is your unwillingness to bring up the 1999 SVT Mustang's with their over rated horsepower engine. LOL! Those Poor mustang owners made the mistake of listening to the FORD marketing garbage. LOL!

I love my Toyota Tundra and like the fact that my truck is different from most of the trucks in the parking lot. I love my truck and I don't need sales numbers to make me proud of my truck. It works for me, and I'm glad the other brands work for others' needs.

Posted by: Eric | Sep 10, 2017 6:32:46 AM

@ GMSRGREAT, Read the above........ Now go to sleep knowing it's okay to love GM's even though they don't have the #1 selling truck brand. I'm with Eric. I'd love my F-150 even if it didn't outsell the Silverado and Sierra combined. I'd still love it. The smile that little 2.7 puts on my face every time it about snaps my neck when hitting the accelerator....whew! Priceless!

Posted by: 2.7EcoboostRoost | Sep 10, 2017 6:53:12 PM

Your smile isn't as big as my smile brought on by bigger, much more powerful 6.2L Silverado. See, i'm smiling just as i'm typing that comment.

Posted by: Frank | Sep 8, 2017 6:48:14 PM

Never stopped production? Maybe. But considering at one time Ford was just slapping the Mustang name on junk Pintos, I wouldn't brag about that too much HAHAHA.

Also, considering the 4.6 had 4 cams, 32 valves, and a variable geometry intake manifold, those power numbers are pathetic (and inflated). I'll never forget an old episode of Horsepower TV from the early 2000's when Joe Elmore put his late 90's Mustang GT on the dyno and it made a pathetic 215 HP with a cold air intake and (I believe) a canned tune. How embarrassing.

These days guys whine because the ZL1 has a supercharger, yet Ford had to not only yank out the junk 4.6 for a 5.4, then slap a supercharger on it to beat a naturally aspirated 16-valve V8.

Grizz, I think iit was a supercharged 4.6 but they eventually dropped supercharged 5.4's in the Mustangs. Either way, they're hypocrites and the mod motors are still junk.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Sep 10, 2017 8:35:08 PM

Your bigger, more powerful, very limited availability barely beats a 2.7 EcoBoost? That 6.2? It's so close, the slightest driver error will cost the much larger 6.2 the race every time. Facts. Something you know nothing about.

Posted by: 2.7EcoboostRoost | Sep 11, 2017 7:26:48 PM

The Sierra 6.2 ran a 15.3 with 1,750 lbs in the bed.
The Ford 2.7 ran a 16.1 with 1,500 lbs in the bed.

"Very limited availability"??

You won't see a whole dealer lot full, but they're not impossible to find. Laura GMC always has 6.2 Sierra's and a few are selling for $42-43k. If your local dealer doesn't have any, order one with the 6.2 and when it's delievered any applicable incentives are applied just like it would had it been on the dealer lot. You make it sound like GM only makes a limited run each year or something.

Posted by: Grizz | Sep 11, 2017 6:18:34 PM

It's been proven that MOD motors take boost much better then LS engines, boost an LS......watch it break into pieces. Stock Ford 4.6L/5.4L are built much better, this is why they cost more. Let's not get started on all GM turds built in the past, you really think GM is flawless, you guys are trvlls.

It's been proven that MOD motors take boost much better then LS engines, boost an LS......watch it break into pieces. Stock Ford 4.6L/5.4L are built much better, this is why they cost more. Posted by: Frank | Sep 12, 2017

@Frank

Go to the pits at your local race track.

First: Whether it's drag racing, circle tracks, dirt or pavement. GM engines rule the roost. I don't mean the factory supported teams, I'm referring to the mom & pop teams who have to balance a budget every weekend.

Second: Make phone calls to the companies that build the Roots blowers and turbos for stock-block modifications, and the second you say Ford they don't know whether to laugh or cry. It's embarrassing. RAM and GM rule.

First: Whether it's drag racing, circle tracks, dirt or pavement. GM engines rule the roost. I'm referring to the mom & pop teams who have to balance a budget every weekend.

Posted by: papajim | Sep 12, 2017 10:43:23 AM

@papajim,

GM LS engines are bought for $50, seen it before. In addition, they blow them up left & right...keep buying them so you can fit your budget. GM and RAM rule? Rule what, your cheer squad?

Good god with this old man.

I'm out.

Posted by: papajim | Sep 12, 2017 10:43:23 AM

The 2.7L Ecoboost CGI, better built than any LS Turd and Hemi. GTFO.

Posted by: papajim | Sep 12, 2017 10:43:23 AM

The 2.7L Ecoboost CGI, better built than any LS Turd and Hemi. GTFO.

@Frank

Go to any racetrack in the US and count the number of weekend racers using 2.7 Fords for their race cars. Next, try to find even ONE two vehicle with a 2.7 Ford. Good luck!

Go to the same tracks and count the small block Chevy engines and you'll be there all day.

You bark a lot but your grasp of the facts is pathetic. Signing off.

Posted by: papajim | Sep 12, 2017 11:09:16 AM

These are the same people that use Ford 9 inch to actually get their car down the track. Sometimes, chevy guys just take the entire fox mustang platform, god knows GM could never build anything remotely close to the fox. GM just copies and pastes.

Later!

@Frank

The fox is a joke. You must be tripping! Fox was a major contributor to the brand destruction that Ford brass laid on the Lincoln name. You can't find a fox Lincoln today, except maybe in Mexico.

Until the mid 1970s Lincoln was a respected brand that many people thought highly of. Today? Not so much, a crappy Ford with cheap lipstick.

The Fox Mustangs (except for the 5.0 stick shift Holleys) sucked too. I used to whip 'em in my 4.3 S10 at traffic lights all the time. The 5.0 automatics were lead sleds.

Thanks for the laugh papajim.