Best-Selling Pickup Trucks: August 2017

2017-Super-Duty-F-350A_F-150 - Copy

Despite our national preoccupation with Hurricane Harvey the last week of August, several pickup trucks had a strong sales month when compared to August 2016. However, our guess is that September sales will more clearly show the effect the devastation in Texas and the Gulf Coast will have on new pickup purchases. We're guessing that the inventory of many dealerships in those states has been decimated by floodwaters and that those dealers are already working with manufacturers to get more pickups to the areas and people who need them.

In the chart below, we can see that Ford continues to crush other truckmakers with strong numbers for the month and year to date. Of note, the hot-selling Toyota Tacoma mid-size pickup outsold the full lineup of GMC Sierra pickups, which comprises light- and heavy-duty trucks. Additionally, August was not kind to Ram, which was down nearly 7 percent for the month when compared to August 2016.

Others sales tales of note: The Chevrolet Colorado is challenging the full-size Toyota Tundra for the No. 6 spot on the chart. The Colorado started out strong at the beginning of the year and held the spot for two months before the Tundra overtook it. There's still a chance the Chevy can overtake the Toyota by year's end, but it will need to outsell Tundra by almost 1,000 units a month for the rest of the year.

Finally, we're not sure if August was an aberration or a harbinger of things to come for the aging Nissan Frontier, but it took a huge hit. We'll have to wait and see what kind of sales impact the weather has on September, if any at all. Fuel prices are climbing, there will be plenty of repairs and construction going on throughout the South, and incentives are not going away. With those realities looming, it will be interesting to watch how it all shakes out in September.

Cars.com graphic by Paul Dolan; manufacturer images

August 2017 Pickup Sales

Comments

@bebee

Ford will need to hustle in order to finish the year ahead of 2016 in pickup truck sales. And then they'll need to find another fifteen thousand sales to break even with GM.

Midsize is a totally different type of truck and you can't lump them in and say gm is doing better.

Posted by: Beebe | Sep 2, 2017 10:38:28 AM

Lets see, is a regular cab short box f-150 physical bigger than a crew cab Colorado long box? Which truck is heavier? Which truck has the higher towing capacity, the base engine F-150 RCSB or the Crewcab Long box Colorado with the Duramax. GM builds trucks, Ford builds trucks, GM sells more trucks. Why is that concept so difficult for Ford fans to grasp?

@ Nitro: you're finally learning the truth about trucks. GOOD FOR YOOUUU!

@ Nitro: you're finally learning the truth about trucks. GOOD FOR YOOUUU!

Posted by: GMSRGREAT

HAHAHA!

All these butt hurtin GM fanboys. Rednecks make me laugh.. go watch some NASCAR and get over the fact that Ford can outsell your magical redneck mobiles... just sayin

@papajim

What do I like better about Ford than the competition?

-powertrain choices
-fuel economy
-driving dynamics
-towing/payload capability
-most available configurations (such as half ton extended cab 8' box)
-safety
-an extremely corrosion resistant body

To name a few.

Another months gone and GM creams Ford is truck sales one more time. Ford fan girls must be getting pretty mad HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

I have never understood how the number of sales directly relates to which truck is better. You should be comparing the price you paid to how well it performs, the longevity, ease of use, resale, options, and everything you (should) factor in when buying a vehicle. If it were the case that the most number of units sold meant the best truck, then cheap Chinese junk tools would be "the best" because more are sold than other tools. Or junk food would be "the best" because it is bought more often than other foods. Or disposable razors are "the best" because they are sold more often. Or thin bumpy cheap highways are "the best" because they are the most widely used in the world, and the autobahn sucks because there's less of it.

I know papajim is not impressed by the Ridgeline, but I and many investors are am not impressed by GM. Truck sales are not performing as well as Ford or RAM.

The elephant in the room that papajim doesn't want to talk about is the money maker is stalling.

It's a problem that GM is not speaking about. Truck sales are not performing this year for the company. While Ford is making massive strides in its pickup division, as is RAM, GM's truck sales are anemic. Chevy Silverado sales fell over 5% year over year while throwing huge incentives on the hood to beat off RAM; marking a stark contrast to competitors. This should be an area of real concern to investors. Trucks have some of the best margins in autos. If this trend continues it could wreak havoc on earnings. On the plus side, Chevy Colorado sales jumped 11% in August vs August 2016. Thus leads credence to GM canabalizing it's own sales with less profit. The upcoming revamped Silverado and Sierra are going to be very important for the company. That said, it won't help third quarter results.

SOME DAY FORD WILL BE ABLE TO SELL MORE TRUCKS THAN GM, BUT NOT THIS MONTH.
WASN'T A GOOD MONTH FOR GARBAGE MOTORS (AKA FORD )

Pretty sure Ford sold more trucks. Don't forget heavy trucks, vans and all the Rangers sold throughout the world. This is what GM fanboys are not speaking abou

I'm proud of Ford. They advertise the fact of having an all new grill with this last iteration, but it looks just like the 'new' 2007 Tundra grill. Imitation is 'FLATERY' in my experience.

Gm will over sale Ford again this year ,,

@Jeff S

You talk like a child. Nobody knows what the Q3 figures are yet.

We do know this: GM is selling more trucks in 2017 in the US than any other automaker. More than Ford, or RAM, or the rest.

Ford's total YTD is about 15k short.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH AT LEAST FORD IS ONE COMPANY. THE GARBAGE MOTORS FAN GIRLYS WHO ARE COMPARING TWO SEPARATE BRANDS GMC AND THE CHEBBY. WE ALL KNOW THEY ATE UNDER THE SAME TRUCK COMPANY GARBAGE MOTORS COMPANY AKA (GM). SO KEEP DREAMING GARBAGE MOTORS FAN GIRLYS. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HA ANOTHER THING GARBAGE MOTOR'S COMPANY STANDS FOR (GMC) YOU FOOLS. HEY IF THEY WANT TO COMPETE WITH ME YOU FAN GIRLYS NEED TO COME UP WITH THEIR OWN IDEAS AND I KNOW IS JENNY DILTO WHO IS USING MY USERNAME SO BACK OFF JENNY BACK OFF.

Ford is the only truck with a center console with a center gear shifter.
That's what's I have and I like , I keep my right hand on the center gear shifter all the time while driving so I don't scratch my balls and it makes me feel like i'm driving a manual, semi-truck.

Who is this Jeff S that is using my name? Didn't comment on GM. Neither GM or Ford are hurting when it comes to pickup sales. Car sales is another matter.

HA ANOTHER THING GARBAGE MOTOR'S COMPANY STANDS FOR (FORD) YOU FOOLS. HEY IF THEY WANT TO COMPETE WITH ME YOU FAN GIRLYS NEED TO COME UP WITH YOUR OWN IDEAS AND I KNOW IS DING DONG WHO IS USING MY USERNAME SO BACK OFF DING DONG BACK OFF.

If you don't want to scratch your balls while your driving , grow a set and get a Cummins diesel with a manual

are you just sounding off as you usually do. You are so anti-Ford that you let your bias show through as you are anti Honda and against anything that is not a GM with a V-8 motor. I am not going to even ask you to open your horizons since you are so closed to anything different that does not fit into your viewpoints. You are as bad as the Ford fanboys. You are not worth bothering with and you are a waste of intelligent discussion. Shut up and have it your way since that is what you want.

Posted by: Jeff S | Aug 26, 2017 6:46:34 PM

I agree with Jeff. Papa Jim is a smart person but he doesn't know every damn thing and I also believe he is a trull since he is on here 24/7 which leads to unintelligent discussion. There he should reevaluate what he is doing with his time or just continue and always get what he's always gotten. If Silverado sales keep declining this will be the second year GM doesn't mention Silverado in the year end press release and that will not be good for business.

I agree with Jeff. Papa Jim is a smart person but he doesn't know every damn thing. Posted by: HONDA RIDGELINE | Sep 3, 2017

@JeffS, @Honda Ridgeline

True, that I don't know every damn thing but it's not for a lack of trying. Presently I'm working on a modern translation of the Mandarin Chinese alphabet into the Khoisan tongue of South African bush people. Not sure why---but it gives the old mental muscles a workout, you can be sure of that!

After that I'm going to go back into PUTC archives for 2013 and reply to every one of Jeff S's comments. That will freak him out!

Posted by: johnny doe | Sep 2, 2017 3:21:25 PM

I am pretty sure there are only 3 people on this site mad about the truck sales results month after month and you are all 3 of those people.

You have that backwards 2.7EcoboostRoost. Only ones mad are Ford kids, as GM will outsell Ford 3 years in a round now.

@papa Jim, Jeff has a few more questions for you if you don't mind.

And what does a comment about gay men have to do with Labor Day deals on new trucks?

Posted by: Jeff S. | Sep 1, 2014 7:28:34 AM

Posted by: HONDA RIDGELINE | Sep 3, 2017 12:57:44 PM

If sales continue to decline, that wouldn't be major issues. GM is less than a year away from a completely redesigned fullsize truck platform. They've had time to analyze the competition and improve the truck. They're just biding time. General Motors hasn't reached the level of desperation that Ford has. You know, like how Ford has boosted truck sales by dumping massive numbers of trucks into the fleet market. Trucks with low-margin base trims: white, regular or extended cab, long bed, XL or XLT trim, steel wheels, flat black grille and trim. As long as GM continues to stay away from fleet sales like they have, they'll have healthy margins, even at current incentive levels.

Despite declining sales, they've still sold near 500k full size trucks in just 9 months. That's better than completely misreading the market and missing out on the midsize truck craze. 3 years and counting - zero Ford Rangers sold.

@Brick

the Honda guys are a joke.

Their brand can't get out of its own way in annual sales. The Ridgeline is due for a major change or being dropped altogether. It's unlikely to sell 40K trucks this year.

Sad.

the Honda guys are a joke.

The Ridgeline is due for being dropped altogether.

Sad.

Posted by: papajim |

The only ones sad are the Honda haters like Papa Jim. Ridgelines are selling as fast as they can make them.

Let me break it down for you. We all know the the Ridgeline isn't for offroading so don't go there. On the road, however; the Ridgeline handles well and is the most comfortable truck U've ever tried. It handles similarly to the Honda CR-V crossover it shares some underpinnings with. Steering is precise and responsive, as is the Honda way, and acceleration is good when not under heavy load. The V6 punches off the line and then smooths out quickly as RPM increases. Under a cargo load or with a trailer, though, the Ridgeline works harder to get up to and maintain speeds on the highway.

My overall assessment is that the 2017 Honda Ridgeline is definitely a good truck for those who don't need any serious offroad capability and for whom the daily commute and versatility are paramount. The Ridgeline is comfortable as a family mover, daily driver, and all-around non-pickup and then steps to the plate when hauling and pulling are required of it. Its versatility, suburban good looks, and understated personality are a good combination that cannot be beat.

I like the Colorado but like it less and less with the way you talk.

Keep it up and I may just buy another Honda.

I think papajim misses the point. First, half the management today were there leading up to bankruptcy. Barra and Ruess were there.

Second, I feel that the whole industry is in a secular bear market that started last year. I would prefer to go with Toyota or Honda if I'm investing.

Third, everyone knows, or should know who is investing in auto stocks that an auto company of today will be very very different than a successful company of ten years from now. Sales are declining and will remain in the decline from some time... why? 1) Cars last a hell of a long time today - ie well built 2) We have all been told that driver-less cars and affordable electric is just around the corner - that may or may not be true - but people feel no need to rush out and buy the "current list of new models" or the the latest and greatest... ie a 2008 Cadillac is not a hell of a lot different than a 2017 Cadillac ... save for the cosmetics and a few tech or mechanical improvements here and there... Still, it's not the difference between a 2008 iPhone 3 and the upcoming iPhone 8 - night in day in the technology it uses, including LTE etc.... to the point that iPhone 3 is near obsolete. So people get technology... and they are waiting for a car company to give them the car equivalent iPhone 8 before they rush out in droves and buy again - Now its just buy as you absolutely need them.

This is all why Tesla stock has done so well - you look at those revenues, PE etc., and you go "My god, are those investors insane?"... Likely not if they intend to hold on for twenty years... but no telling what it will do tomorrow or a year from now, could be punishing. On the other hand, there is no "WOW" coming out of GM, Ford or the others... so they languish... I am an investor in GM because I believe they get it, but they need to do more in terms of pushing their vision of the future and stop being so concerned with pleasing Wall Street every quarter... that will only get them so far before they end up with no future and Tesla and those like them become the GM's of the 21st century. So for now - I wait and see - and I hope that GM begins to activity promote their future vision and does some WOW-ing... BTW I drove a GM Bolt and I must say I was very disappointed, it was a good electric... but it felt and looked cheap... they really need to hire away those Tesla designers or get some like them. So we will see.
I think all of this misses the point. First, everyone knows, or should know who is investing in auto stocks that an auto company of today will be very very different than a successful company of ten years from now. Sales are declining and will remain in the decline from some time... why? 1) Cars last a hell of a long time today - ie well built 2) We have all been told that driver-less cars and affordable electric is just around the corner - that may or may not be true - but people feel no need to rush out and buy the "current list of new models" or the the latest and greatest... ie a 2008 Cadillac is not a hell of a lot different than a 2017 Cadillac ... save for the cosmetics and a few tech or mechanical improvements here and there... Still, it's not the difference between a 2008 iPhone 3 and the upcoming iPhone 8 - night in day in the technology it uses, including LTE etc.... to the point that iPhone 3 is near obsolete. So people get technology... and they are waiting for a car company to give them the car equivalent iPhone 8 before they rush out in droves and buy again - Now its just buy as you absolutely need them.

BTW I drove a GM Bolt and I must say I was very disappointed, it was a good electric... but it felt and looked cheap... they really need to hire away those Tesla and Honda designers or get some like them. So we will see. Buy Honda.

HONDA: Tight truck inventories ding sales

Sales at American Honda dipped 2.4 percent in August as tight inventories of its popular light trucks continue to hamper its retail efforts.

Papa Jim was wrong. It was supply that killed the Ridgeline. Not demand.

Read it and weep, Jim.

@Honda Jeff

Pleasing Wall Street every quarter? You think like a college student. That's not a compliment

@Jeff S

If you want a Ridgeline, better get one soon It will not last much longer

@papa jim--My comments have been blocked by this site but no I am not going to buy a Ridgeline nor will I buy a Silverado. Don't dislike the Silverado but since you own one I would rather buy an aluminum F-150. You can post all my 2013 postings if that makes you feel good but there are many of those posts that were not mine but if that makes you feel good go ahead. I have never put anyone's choice of truck down or made derogatory remarks about where they live. You have and I never have. We all have our own opinions and they are based on our own experiences. Not everything in life is black and white.

@papa jim--I don't currently own any GM stock but I did own GM stock and unloaded it before it crashed. Car stocks are not my thing and there are much better stocks to own.

@Jeff S

You might still find a CrossTour if you look long enough.

@papa jim--Cross Tour? When have I ever mentioned buying a Cross Tour? Why didn't you buy an Avalanche or an Aztek before they stopped making them? Maybe you should insist that BMW make you a full size pickup with a V-8 since you are into BMWs? These questions are just as absurd as yours. Just because my wife has a CRV does not mean that I want a Ridgeline or Cross Tour. I also don't want a Silverado don't need one nor do I want to own something that you own. Much rather have an aluminum F-150 especially since you are always carrying on about how bad they are. They must be good since you don't like them.

@papa jim--Also don't want your brand of Christianity. Been there done that.

i wish Gm would dump the Sierra twin, it continues to slide in sales, and is exactly like the silverado. Dumb move to have these 2 identical trucks.

Why would GM dump the Sierra? It is profitable and made in the same plant with not a lot of change in the tooling. GMC makes money for GM.

@jeff s: You'll have to ask the jealous Ford fan boy who is using my user name.

Great Job Ford, still number 1! Yes GMSRGREAT I agree, with he twin issue.

Cross Tour? When have I ever mentioned buying a Cross Tour?
Posted by: Jeff S | Sep 4, 2017

@Jeff S

The CrossTour was dropped by Honda because it did not sell. It was a great car by all indications but it simply did not sell. Ditto for the Toyota Venza. Same concept. It didn't sell either.

The Ridgeline will be dropped for the same reason---poor sales.

You and the other guys using your ID go ballistic every time I bring up the lousy sales numbers for the Honda pickup.

Posted by: Beebe | Sep 2, 2017 10:38:28 AM

It's a special Olympics for the GM 'tards.

Is the Ridgeline a truck?

@papa jim--I don't care if the Ridgeline is discontinued but you must since you continually bring it up. If it is not a Chevy Silverado you hate it. You are very narrow in focus and rigid in beliefs. The only thing that I have stated in the past is that I understand why Ridgeline appeals to some. Maybe if I was a few years younger and never had a truck and needed one I would be interested in it but I am not. That is why there are different types of cars, crossovers, suvs, and trucks on the market because not everyone needs or wants the same thing. I don't have a problem with those who want a different vehicle even if it is something I don't like. If I don't like a vehicle that someone has I am not going to insult them by telling them it is bad. Apparently that is what you do but I am not you. As for being a college boy yes I went to college and have 3 degrees which have enabled me to live a good life. If you have a problem with this then you must be jealous. I don't judge a person by what they drive or their beliefs but I do stand up to bullies who try to force their beliefs on me or someone who does not share their beliefs. Maybe you need to find some activities to keep you busy. I have enough between my job and living to keep me busy. Go ahead and rant I will save my energy.

@papa jim--By the way I am not Honda Jeff that is someone else. If you really have this thing to track comments you would know that but you are probably just mouthing off.