2018 Ford F-150: Recall Alert

2018_f-150_recall

Vehicles Affected: Approximately 250,000 model-year 2018 Ford F-150 pickup trucks with 10-speed transmissions built at the Dearborn Truck Plant between Jan. 5, 2017, and Feb. 16, 2018, and built at the Kansas City Assembly Plant between Jan. 25, 2017, and Feb. 16, 2018

The Problem: The gear-shift cable clip on the transmission may not be fully seated, allowing the transmission to be in a gear different from the shift position selected by the driver. This could allow the driver to move the shifter to Park, remove the key from the ignition and allow the vehicle to be in a gear other than Park when exiting the vehicle which, if the parking brake is not applied, could result in injury or a crash.

The Fix: Dealers will inspect and verify that the shift cable locking clip is properly installed. If the clip is not properly installed, technicians will adjust the shifter cable and secure the locking clip at no charge to the owner.

What Owners Should Do: Ford did not immediately announce an owner-notification schedule. Owners can call the manufacturer at 866-436-7332, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's vehicle-safety hotline at 888-327-4236 or visit its website to check their vehicle identification number and learn more.

Need to Find a Dealer for Service? Go to Cars.com Service & Repair to find your local dealer. To check for other recalls, and to schedule a free recall repair at your local dealership, click here: 2018 Ford F-150

Manufacturer image

Comments

local dealer has one in the Magma Red but it has the 2.7 engine and I want the 3.5 Eco-Boost, it's stickers for $50K but I know I can get it for $35K and my 2016 F-150 books for $38K so just maybe the dealer will give me a $2000 check

Posted by: Ecoboost Rules | Apr 8, 2018 6:08:41 AM

I really think you should go try so can get a reality CHECK. I bet you walk out of there with a $10k to 15 k bill.

@What the heck

Be patient. You really don't want the 2.7 Ecoboost.

Recent acceleration tests showed the 2.7 could barely improve on the figures turned in by the 3.3 base engine (for thousands less).

@ ecoboost rules

First of all. U don't want a 2.7L when u have the 3.5L
Second. What sane individual would ever pay over $40k , let alone $50k (sticker) for a 2.7L
Third since they are taking off $15K....they will graciously take that off the KBB trade in value!!! Come on man...u know this!

Your best bet is to go find a 5.0L. Just tinted one this weekend with a buddy. That new lead foot grey...it was nice truck. Had good power, tranny shifted smoothly..... But still doesn't have the grunt the 6.2L has!

They should not have partnered with GM on the transmission. I wonder if the Gms guys realize this transmission is a partnership with GM, so we can now say, gm and ford suck right?

-CT

@CT

They co developed it. That's doesn't mean its assembled at same place. Don't quote me but I bet fords assembles there's at a plant and GM at there's... Otherwise wouldn't the ZL1 be on the list???

Where's all the geniuses that brag about Ford us8ng the Chevy tranny. Lolololol

-CT

Posted by: crunchtime | Apr 8, 2018 8:51:17 AM

Where's all the geniuses that brag about Ford us8ng the Chevy tranny. Lolololol

Posted by: Ram Master | Apr 8, 2018 9:14:11 AM

In this particular recall the problem is within the shifter cable not the transmission. However, if something were recalled on the actual transmission, it would be Ford's fault.

Be patient. You really don't want the 2.7 Ecoboost.

Posted by: papajim | Apr 8, 2018 8:38:16 AM

@PPJim
Please See ecoboost rules post.
I don't want anything to do with a Ford ecoboost!! I just want him to go try and trade his 2016 so he can see that he will not get deal that he thinks.
I can't wait till Tuesday after work because that's when I pick up my new Silverado 2500 hd diesel. Ordered it 8 weeks ago... It's a beast.

@ what the heck

Congrats on the desiel...you'll love the power of REAL world HP and TQ...not made up propaganda that another manufacturer "claims" to have.

diesel.... Dang phone

The park brakes should apply automatically whenever park is selected. Just like automatic headlamps turn on at night and auto wipers operate when it rains. The technology is there, why not use it.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Apr 6, 2018 6:14:18 PM

I agree with you (first time ever), especially since they have electronic park brakes in a vast majority of vehicles.

@ What the heck: Congrats man on the purchase of the best diesel powertrain 18 years running. But be careful, ecoboost rules is out there somewhere (if not in the shop) lurking ready to challenge your 400+ hp, 900+ ft/lbs of torque with his 2.7 eco. LOL!

@What the heck
Be patient. You really don't want the 2.7 Ecoboost.

Posted by: papajim | Apr 8, 2018 8:38:16 AM

I'd like to see those test results. If it was apple's to apple's, gear ratio, configuration etc. That would be impressive for the 3.3L seeing that the 2.7L has already proven it's merit in testing vs the 5.3 GM and Ford's own 3.5 and 5.0 engines. The 2.7 would surely embarrass the 3.3L towing as it does most small V8's. It is a $995 option, btw, not "thousands".

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Apr 8, 2018 11:22:51 AM

The 10 spd development was led by Ford. The 9 spd transaxle was led by GM. Ford modified the 9 spd to make it 8spd (claiming reduced weight, but I'm sure it was more cost effective in their minds giving up the one cog). Not sure what GM did to their 10 spd version other than software programming.

Posted by: papajim | Apr 8, 2018 8:38:16 AM

A little more.......

"Next in line is the EcoBoost twin-turbocharged 2.7-liter V-6, a $995 option on XL and XLT and standard on the Lariat trim level."

"The 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6 is now even more appealing, thanks to its punchier torque and the wider ratio spread of the 10-speed versus the old six-speed. The small six-cylinder sounds great under load, too, and emits a satisfying turbo whistle when the driver really sticks the spurs to it."

"Moving up the line to the 2018 F-150’s 2.7-liter brings a big bump in performance. Drop the hammer, and the transmission instantly selects the ideal ratio for peak acceleration from your current speed, always landing in a sweet spot along the broad, flat torque curve and frequently delivering a sharp jolt of acceleration. Yeehaw! And there’s enough torque on tap at low rpm to permit use of 10th gear at cruising speeds of 55–60 mph in an unladen truck—far better than many nine-speeds we can name....."

www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/f-150/2018/2018-ford-f-150-first-drive-review/

again I'll state it...anyone playing $50k window sticker or even $40k for a 2.7L is crazy!!! At $995... A tuned 5.3L will destroy that thing!! I should know I had one that beat a ,3.5L !!! Plus u have the reliability, durability. And longevity of the longest produced V8/since 1999

Posted by: TNTGMC | Apr 8, 2018 4:12:43 PM

I'll state this...anyone playing $50k window sticker or even $40k for a 5.3L is crazy!!! A tuned 5.3L will get destroyed by a tuned 2.7Eco Boost!!!!! See how that works?

^^^^^ and dont foget just as good or better fuel economy. Lol

Lol @ ecoboost
You just beat me on my last post. The 5.3 a is way better choice than the 2.7 . especially if you want to keep it more than a few years.

I'll repeat myself!!! The 5.3L is a PROVEN motor...can't say that about your ecobust!!

If you want a pickup or big SUV with a V8, be sure to get a Gen 4 or Gen 5 Chevy/GMC engine.

Smooth. Quiet. Solid.

Mine runs great on unleaded regular. Yours will too

plus u have 2 turbo's producing that power....just come back to reality and think what a supercharger would do for a 5.3L...it wouldn't be a contest...
N/A vs twin turbo to get your power??? Hmmmm. I'll go with less moving parts and less complicated engine.

Shut the hell up already, darn pathetic everytime you post

The F-150 2.7 Eco-Boost is about evenly matched in power as the old 5.4 V8
BUT the 2.7 wins the award for the best MPG for a full size pickup.

My 3.5 Eco-Boost will out-power the 2.7 BUT 0 to 60 acceleration rates are about the same

The 2.7 Eco-Boost engine has a stronger cast iron block with a forged crank cage where the 3.5 is an all aluminum block and heads.

Consumer Reports picked the 2018 F-150 with the 2.7 Eco-Boost as the recommended best full size truck and you all know everybody trusts CR as the leading authority on the best and worse vehicles

Yea, the Eco-Boost engines had some issues when they came out in 2011 and problems continued into early 2013 but Ford corrected those problems and the engines became better on later models so anybody buying a 2018 with the Eco-Boost should feel confident they have a better, much improved, reliable engine.

Read up on it.

Posted by: andrwken | Apr 7, 2018 8:00:08 AM

Take your own advise bud. Or show me.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Apr 8, 2018 6:46:14 PM

I am well aware they have two turbos. So now you're throwing a $4,000-$5,000 supercharger on? The 2.7 isn't worth the $995 premium but you are putting an expensive supercharger on the 5.3 to make it more powerful. LOL.

The F-150 2.7 Eco-Boost is about evenly matched in power as the old 5.4 V8
BUT the 2.7 wins the award for the best MPG for a full size pickup.

Posted by: Ecoboost Rules | Apr 9, 2018 1:22:09 AM

The 2.7 embarrasses the 5.4. Not even close. In any category.

Read up on it.

Posted by: andrwken | Apr 7, 2018 8:00:08 AM

Take your own advise bud. Or show me.

Posted by: HEMI V8 | Apr 9, 2018 1:30:56 AM

There's literally thousands of sites showing how wrong you are.

Here's one from 2012.

Now feel free to read it. I can't spell it out for you from the internet.

@2.7

What I was saying is that your little 2.7 needs 2 turbos to match a N/A 5.3L in power.

If I slammed a turbo or supercharger on a 5.3 it wouldn't be a comparison. That's what I'm saying!!!

As for Frank....Go play in the street. Or better yet. Go drive your junk 02 ford and see if it catches fire.

Like I've saId before. Ford took money, but just didn't FILE bankruptcy!!! GM did butnpaid money back. Ford hasn't. Yes GM has the black eye of bankruptcy on behalf of themselves but for ANYONE to say Ford didn't take money is just like Frank!!!! DUMB!

Good article andrwkn

Posted by: TNTGMC | Apr 9, 2018 8:58:00 AM

Ford took a LOAN. The same LOAN you're using to use a truck that does not belong to you. It belongs to the BANK.

Sorry you don't understand.

Sorry you don't understand.

Posted by: Frank | Apr 9, 2018 1:47:56 PM

Pot meet kettle.

U beat me to it!! Dang it...lol

Pot meet kettle.

Posted by: andrwken | Apr 9, 2018 1:57:54 PM
U beat me to it!! Dang it...lol

Posted by: TNTGMC | Apr 9, 2018 2:36:02 PM

You both should get a room.

@ Frank

And u should get a life!!!

Posted by: Frank | Apr 9, 2018 1:47:56 PM

Ford got a "LOAN" with a nearly 0% interest rate and an extra long repayment date. By the time those bums at Ford finally get around to paying it back, the taxpayers will have lost a significant amount of money on that "LOAN" thanks to that near zero interest rate and 15+ years of inflation. I sure wish I could get that deal! A nearly zero percentage interest rate on my 15 year home mortgage, what a deal!

Read up on it.
Posted by: andrwken | Apr 7, 2018 8:00:08 AM

you should find something a little more recent not something that's 6 years old

@ Research

So bc its 6 years old no one should read it. There are FACTS in it and they don't change!

Plus its been ten years since this whole debacle!! Its done and over with, we can't change it, we have to move on! So constantly bashing one automaker for filing K and not the other one bc they took a LOAN with hardly no interest that WE CONSUMERS are STILL PAYING FOR is absolutely ridiculous!!

Posted by: TNTGMC | Apr 10, 2018 11:03:30 AM

betcha $20.00 you didn't even read it

@ Research

First, don't bet what you can't pay!

Second, I love reading!

Third, there is an article by Forbes magazine, but it won't post on here, do a little research yourself and I bet you'll find it. was published in 2016

Posted by: TNTGMC | Apr 10, 2018 11:47:26 AM

ok i read it what the problem

Ford still owes 3.5 Billion dollars!!!! That's the problem!

but want to spend 4.5 Billion on hybrid technology....pay off loan first!!!!

BTW...I want my $20

you're upset that Ford still owes 3.5 billion on loan that doesn't have to be paid back till 2022, that by way was given to them by the LIBTARDS you voted in office to make greener cars don't you think maybe we should hold the LIBTARDS you voted for accountable for just handing out our taxpayers $$$$$$, which by the way lost over 11 billion dollars on your GM bankruptcy but hey what do you know you're walking around in denial about that

@research,

He's an idiot. Don't bother.

WE CONSUMERS are STILL PAYING FOR is absolutely ridiculous!!

Posted by: TNTGMC | Apr 10, 2018 11:03:30 AM

Yep, the GM Bankruptcy.

First Off I never voted for Obama!!!

Second, Pay off your money...GM payed it back, and we aren't talking about GM we were talking about Ford, but you fanboys constantly go back to it 24/7!!! FORD STILL OWES MONEY!!!!
I have said that GM filing K was terrible, but that not what we were talking about!

Third, Frank, iv'e told you time and time again, I have more intelligence in my frontal lobe then you have in your entire brain. ALL you ever do is insult and try to 1 up me but you are not intelligent enough to even comeback with something other than an insult. Grab your helmet, and your tricycle and go for a ride down to the local ice-cream parlor.

Two things seem to be left out of the conversation, no parts to delay repairs just an adjustment if needed, and look at the numbers - 250 000 from production in less than a full month at one plant and just over at the other.