2019 Ford F-150 Raptor Sports Exclusive Traction Tech

3U0A0238_C1 II

The 2019 Ford F-150 Raptor pickup truck, at first glance, doesn't look much different from the 2017 model. In fact, given the new grille and headlight design of the regular 2018 F-150s, the current Raptor still has the look and design of the previous-generation Ford half tons. This all seems quite odd given that the 2019 version of the off-roading pickup boasts traction technology not seen on any other pickup in the world.

Ford quietly revealed two new features — Fox Racing Shox Live Valve technology and Trail Control — on the 2019 Raptor this week. Now that we've done some more digging about these new traction systems, they could be the most under-publicized pieces of automotive technology we've seen in a long while, certainly on a pickup truck.

New Shocks Technology

The Fox Live Valve technology is basically the same suspension upgrade setup recently offered on the all-new 2018 Ford Expedition full-size SUV, which was impressive enough to win sister site Cars.com's 2018 Full-Size SUV Challenge. The Expedition uses the adaptive system to quell many of the annoying road chops and vibrations so typical on a big SUV truck-based platform. The 2019 F-150 Raptor takes this technology to the next level.

These new, active Fox Racing shocks have a dedicated computer that monitors multiple inputs all around the vehicle, such as wheel speed, steering angle, throttle position, yaw rates and more. And it's doing so every millisecond. That means that even when the pickup is airborne from an unintended (we're assuming) jump, with both the front and rear suspensions completely relaxed, it knows that each shock (especially the fronts) will need more resistance and stiffness to accommodate the impending impact. Essentially, it is predicting what's coming and does that before the wheels hit ground. It's even capable of making micro-adjustments as it monitors the truck during the impact as well.

FOX_RAPTOR_LIVEVALVE_REAR II

The Live Valve system has three internal automatic algorithm settings, each of which includes several more software settings that will adjust differently in each of the Raptor's six Terrain Management System modes: Normal, Rock Crawl, Baja, Mud/Sand, Sport and Weather.

Interestingly, unlike the Expedition, the Raptor does not offer Tow/Haul mode to allow the rear active shocks to provide load-leveling or towing benefits. From Ford's point of view, maybe that makes sense since so few Raptor owners carry anything in their bed or tow toys to the lake, snow country or desert (read heavy sarcasm here). That needs to change.

Trail Control

The second impressive upgrade to this 2019 Raptor is Trail Control. This integrated software allows the Ford to offer a type of slow-speed cruise control when combined with the active and predictive ability of the shocks. It will help the new Raptor crawl rock-strewn sluices or slippery, rutted, algae-green stream trails with confidence and more technical skill than most expert off-roaders.

The best way to understand Trail Control is to think of it as a cruise control system that takes over throttle and braking duties — usually below 10 mph, depending on the terrain setting — to allow the driver to concentrate on steering the truck toward or away from nasty obstacles. Trail Control is activated with a new button atop the center display stack (replacing the hill descent control button). It works within speed parameters of 1 to 20 mph in two-wheel drive or high range, and between 1 to 10 mph in low range.

3U0A0547_C1 II

Once active, Trail Control will navigate the vehicle forward at the set speed until it meets an obstacle that provides resistance. It will then adjust the throttle to climb the obstacle, reading wheel travel via the electronically controlled shocks. It will also know, based on the same sensor readings, how much brake pressure to apply when descending the backside of the obstacle it just climbed. Speed slows or increases based on "perceived" terrain, eventually speeding up to the selected speed allowed by the terrain setting. The system can be automatically slowed by the driver with a touch of the brake or by tapping the steering wheel control up or down. Trail Control shares controls with the conventional cruise control system.

Improved Ride?

Both systems will be standard on all 2019 Raptors. Although we haven't driven the new truck yet — we're hoping to get behind the wheel before the end of the year — the end result is likely to be a Raptor that handles and drives better than any other F-150 or Raptor before.

We're not saying that all the Raptor's sway and body roll will be gone on the 2019 model, but with these new technologies you can expect it will drive like a completely different vehicle both on the pavement and off-road, in high and low range. In fact, it wouldn't surprise us one bit if the 2019 Ford F-150 Raptor gained popularity with people who spend most of their time on pavement instead of off.

Pricing for the 2019 Raptor is still a long way off — we're told Ford won't be making the new Raptors until late in the third quarter of this year. We'd like to see technology like this on the coming 2020 Ford Bronco SUV or a Raptor version of the 2019 Ford Ranger. We could even imagine a new Mustang with a set of shocks like these doing well on a track. More to come.

Manufacturer images

3U0A0547_C1A II

3A1A4173_C1 II

3U0A0277_C1 II

3A1A4228_C1 II

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 11.36.00 AM II

3U0A0370_C1 II

3U0A0238_C1A II

Comments

The Trail control feature is pretty cool when you're just crawling around the sand dunes and or rocky mountains, those shocks are crazy.

Kudos!!

That's what I'm talking about. If I was a baller like papajim, I'd be getting a Raptor.

Love the big FORD logo on the back, lets those other guys know whos in front of them....

Nahhhh...not for me... Overpriced and doesn't off road as well as a ZR2

Nitro, the big Ford logo is ugly IMO. I do like the shocks and trail control.

-CT

Nahhhh...not for me... Overpriced

Posted by: TNTGMC | May 29, 2018 1:32:22 PM

Didn't you pay cash for your Sierra?

You know why Ford was quiet about it. Because Crawl control isn't new. Toyota had this long ago. This is just their tweaked version of Toyota's crawl control.

Nahhhh...not for me... Overpriced and doesn't off road as well as a ZR2

Posted by: TNTGMC | May 29, 2018 1:32:22 PM
————————————

You have proof that a ZR2 off-roads better than a 2019 Raptor?
You know, the truck this article is discussing.

Way better to build your own truck, the way you want it and it is much cheaper to buy the base 4x4 and build it up to be better than the factory setup.

I guess folks today have little imagination to design and build their own rigs, they just seek point and click.

My 2010 Tacoma gets more looks than a Raptor, because Raptor's all look alike. Not saying they are bad trucks, they just kind of blend in.

I have not even hit $40,000 including the sticker price of $25,000 when I bought her with 7 miles on it, with mods over the years. Still cheaper than any Raptor.

I like Ford Trucks
I love my 3.5 Eco-Boost even more

I asked a Ford Tech WHY does my 3.5 Eco-Boost engine continues to run after I turn the key off, remove the key and get out of the door?

The Ford Tech told me that 3.5 Eco-Boost is soooo powerful that engine energy has to go somewhere even when I shut it down, if it didn't shut down all that energy stored up in that engine would blow up like a balloon and explode !

Harvey, TNT only likes GM. That is his proof, and also his opinion. If it is a GM he feels it is better than any other truck, which is why proof is sometimes hard to come by.

-CT

Ms. Harvey please go get yourself a truck before you post anymore comments..

When does the Raptor get the 7X engine?

Wow trail control, sounds alot like hill decent to me. My Power Wagon has a never seen on any vehicle lol a 12,000 lbs winch to help recover other off roaders.

When is Ford going to offer the automatic Fire suppression system on the Fire prone vehicles and stop burning houses down with people sleeping inside?

@ Bad Aroma

You should stop worrying about others a focus that negative energy into something positive.

Lord knows your dirt farm needs positive thoughts

@ GMSRGREAT ---The big Ford logo is their to help the recovery vehicle identify which truck is broken down out in the bush.

I think your right, that's because some of the Ford's don't all ways catch on fire and when that happens there harder to identify. The big FORD on the tailgate is there just for that reason.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

@ Ms. Harvey

Sorry but your too easy! Ya I guess you could consider the construction site a dirt farm, you should bring your Fiesta out sometime and see what it can do

@ pot stirrer.. CT and Harvey

The ZR2 has won very comparison between the Raptor. I posted u articles on the last Raptor article that u biased ford guys refuse to read bc your to upset licking your wounds that a midsize truck half the price beat your so called haloed raptor

As for CT..u get put in your place constantly, never post facts, just come out of hiding from your rock and take cheap shots....I could only imagine what kind of person u are in life....says a lot.

@ Hemi... All your fire talk but an article out TODAY NOT done by this site listed a whole lot of RAM, Fiat products and a few GM products on the MOST recalled, didn't see ANY FORDS... Hmmm

As for comparison. They needed to copy GM on their shocks they have had for years to make the raptor ride better bc it has gotten criticized for that as well

Harvey of course they can't compare them yet, but when they do and it loses again.....what excuse are u gonna have then????

@TNTGMC

MR dampers were developed and produced by the Delphi Corporation and now by BWI Group under the proprietary name MagneRide.

Not GM

@ Harvey

I understand that but GM has used this same technology in their denali lineup for years!

Posted by: TNTGMC | May 29, 2018 5:53:32 PM
———————————-

That’s all speculation.

Of course it is, I'm just asking u a question. Its won in 17/18 in comparisons. So if 19 isnt any difference.... What's your excuse gonna be then is what I am asking??

so they have a part of chevy and toyota wow

Posted by: HEMI V8 | May 29, 2018 4:01:34 PM

I think this Fire suppression technology is the ONE thing Ford wanted Ram to perfect first.

Open mouth, insert foot. School is still in session boys and girls.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA GOOD ONE 2.7 !! Let’s if the guy shut his big mouth.

Posted by: TNTGMC | May 29, 2018 8:10:12 PM
———————————

Unlike you, I don’t make excuses.

What traction? Ford's 4x4 setup is plastic gears aka garbage.

Open mouth, insert foot. School is still in session boys and girls.
Posted by: 2.7EcoBoostRoost

Ford has a history of vehicle fires stretching back 50 years. It's going to take more than a few Dodge fires to top Ford's legacy.

I don’t make excuses.
Posted by: Harvey

LOL oh yeah? so you didn't make excuses for the Ford 5.2 Voodoo that Ford claims will burn up to 2 quarts every 1000 miles?

Not GM
Posted by: Harvey | May 29, 2018 6:14:53 PM

MR dampers were developed and produced by Delphi back when GM still owned them. Delphi was sold off during the period leading up to GM's bankruptcy, and purchased by BWI. GM was using MR dampers way back in 2002 in Cadillac vehicles, plus the C5 Corvette. Both were sold LOOOOOOONG before BWI bought Delphi. Keep denying reality.

The worlds only factory Super Truck just got a little more super.

Wondering how much the trail control feature adds to the price (active cruise control with all of its complexity is big $$ and I realize this isn't exactly the same I still wonder about the $$). Then again it doesn't seem to matter how much the Raptor costs. As a high performance status symbol toy price is part of the appeal.

It will be interesting to see if any of this filters down into cheaper more obtainable to the masses models.

Nicely done Ford once again!

Not GM
Posted by: Harvey | May 29, 2018 6:14:53 PM

Posted by: McFeisty | May 30, 2018 3:38:47 AM

Harvey, Crunchtime, Nitro who ever you are at the moment, learn your history.

You would think that with such an expensive toy as the Raptor that FORD would have used some premium materials on the interior. I guess that red band on the steering wheel is worth something extra. HAHA! What an busy, ugly interior.

GM fans, I want you to get up and put your head out the window and yell, " am mad as he LL and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!" If we all band together and yell loud enough maybe GM will start listening. I am mad as he LL and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!

@ McFeisty

Don't bother with Ms. Harvey's comments, she's already proved to be clueless and doesn't even own a truck! She's a pretender!

GMsRBAD, do you have any clue what you are doing? Why lump me into you and TNT's deranged antics? Geez, I just commented on how great of a job Ford is doing, and you have to lump me in with others, get over yourself.....

@ Nitro

Stop being a hypocrite! U did the same thing on the other post when u mentioned me, GMS, and papajim. Man u seriously don't remember what u post do u! Such a shame!!! Shaking my head and laughing all at same time. Too funny.

I'm mad as he-ll and I'm not going to take it anymore!!! HAHA!

@ 2.7EcoBoostRoost,

I can do this all day, you can lead a horse to the water trough but you cant force them to drink it. Stay thirsty my friend.

not even hit $40,000 including the sticker price of $25,000 when I bought her with 7 miles on it, with mods over the years. Still cheaper than any Raptor.... Posted by: oxi | May 29, 2018

@Oxi

Back in 1970 a few of my friends and I got invited to a party at a hotel with the Grateful Dead after their gig. After a few minutes of looking the suite around I noticed that the band and their crew was NOT drinking the punch.

I still recommend that. Don't drink the punch.

"If spontaneous combustion were an Olympic sport, Ford will go for gold in Tokyo - yes! In this report - how Fords have the unenviable reputation of being most likely cars to catch fire."

Ford is number one.

Posted by: McFeisty | May 30, 2018 3:33:08 AM
—————————————————

There was no excuse from me. Otherwise you would have posted the link to it instead of piping off.

@ McFiesty

In 1999, Delphi became a fully independent company. No ties to GM.

I guess Ford stopped making their Fire prone cars because they cant afford anymore lawsuits.

I call people names, so what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is who I am. I am a stay at home kid with nothing better to do!!!!!