Honda and Ford Pickups Make Cars.com 2018 American-Made Index

16Ridgeline_117 II

If you're a regular reader of PickupTrucks.com, you're familiar with our sister publication's annual Cars.com American-Made Index, an analysis of more than 100 U.S.-built passenger vehicles that examines the impact a model has on the U.S. economy.

Now in its 12th year, the AMI looks at five factors — the domestic parts content of each vehicle, country of origin for the car's available engines and transmissions, the vehicle's assembly location and the factory workforce employed by each automaker — to determine which cars and trucks are the most American. Cars.com redesigned the index last year to dive deeper on the impact of a shopper choosing one car versus another. This year, two pickup trucks make the AMI's top 10 list: the Honda Ridgeline (made in Alabama with corporate headquarters in Japan) ranked third place on the list and the Ford F-150 (built in Michigan and Missouri) took the No. 9 slot.

Three other Honda/Acura vehicles, two other Fords, one Jeep and two Chevrolets round out the top 10 vehicles on the 2018 American-Made Index. Find out more about the AMI here.

Cars.com photos by Christian Lantry (below); manufacturer (above)

04-ford-f-150-2018-exterior  front  white

Comments

TNTGMC

you're right! not only are they clowns that post under your name they have no intelligence or substance to post anything worthy of reading.
I can tell when it's you or an imposter and I understand you love your truck and I respect that

Those who are accusing me of somehow ruining this sit are upset because I mostly supply links to support my view or in most cases support facts. There are many who are here who would prefer just making comments that are of their own views and opinions and not be challenged.

I forgot to mention how SPECIAL my truck is. I love it SOO much, especially when I'm cuddling with it at night. NOTHING comes close to my Ecoboost in performance or mileage. Whenever I go somewhere everyone turns and BOWS to my Ecoboost, it has an effect on ANYONE that even looks at it. Now that's RESPECT

The only two GM's in the top ten are the Corvette and the Volt? None of their medium or big volume vehicles made the list. That's no way to repay the American people who bailed them out and allowed them to avoid warranty claims and law suits by changing their legal name. Pathetic.

Posted by: What? | Jun 21, 2018 6:19:47 AM

GM not only repaid me, um, the American people, but they paid extra just because they are nice. Ask my #1 voter, Papa/TNT/GMS/JOHNNY, they will tell you so it must be true!!!

Now if only Ford would pay us back. Those bums are behind on their payments. Selling all those trucks and they still can't pay us back the billions they owe. We were nice enough to give them a zero percent interest rate where the taxpayers actually lose money on the "loan" especially after 15 years. If they are so successful why can't they just pay us back already.

I wish I could have gotten a sweet deal like that on my mortgage. 0.01% interest rate? sign me up!

Prove Ford isn’t paying anything back

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jun 21, 2018 3:35:17 PM

Says the guy that claims Silverado is best selling pickup. And when asked to provide a link, doesn’t and won’t.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 21, 2018 4:57:19 PM

I provided links with #s which in turn required someone with the ability to analyze and interpret those data points to accept the reality the GM sells more trucks with Silverado written on them than either of the 2 F-sisters.

Your beloved GM does dabble in the semantics you play.

Ford sells more F Series. They sell more F Series than Silverado and Sierra combined.

This is a useless writeup with useless info. Ford builds JUNK then re-calls the same JUNK to try and beat out the poor design.

What they end up with is Quality Is Job NONE.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* doesn’t

Your beloved GM does dabble in the semantics you play.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 21, 2018 5:22:36 PM

I don't disagree with that, assuming Ford is accurately reporting their actual sales #'s. However, GM sell more trucks with Silverado written on them then either of the 2 full size models that Ford sells.

Posted by: Frank's Brother | Jun 21, 2018 4:30:57 PM

Fake news. You libatards are amazing.
Here are a few Fatcs: "Ford applied for and received $5.9 billion in June 2009 (the same month GM filed for bankruptcy) to help pay for investments in more fuel-efficient engines, hybrids and electric cars and also to convert two truck plants to production of cars." "Ford expects to begin repaying the loans in 2012, with an interest rate based on the current U.S. Treasury rate hovering between 3 and 4 percent"

So your GM loving liberal math is skewed greatly. .01%? WRONG! Even if Ford got a 0% loan, it's better than scamming taxpayers out of an estimated $11-13 millon. Papa loves to come on here and talk about GM stock. He apparently wasn't screwed under old GM like millions of stock holders.

Silverado...

Made with more Chinese and 3rd World parts than it’s compet

Posted by: Frank's Brother | Jun 21, 2018 4:30:57 PM

If you were a GM exec you could have bought a $1.5 million dollar house, had your mortgage paid and got an off shore account with $500,000!! That's a deal son!!

All the manufacturers import. GM imports approx. 250,000 Mexican built GM trucks every year. Ram was up in the 200,000 range last I saw. Ford was importing 200,000 Fusion sedans from Mexico at one point. The next Explorer is slated to be built in China. Thank the union and it's overpaid lunch-break weed smoking employees. The big 3 caved into the union years ago and can't compete by builind everything in the U.S.A, that's just reality. But stop spreading your government bailed out, tax payer screwing GM garbage. GM and Chrysler definitely received more tax payer money than Ford. It's not even a legitimate argument. 3-5% on 5.9 billion is a lot of money the government will make on FoMoCo, compared to millions lost on GM and Chrysler bailouts. FACT. Case closed, love GM all you want, but don't defend those commies on here.

@2.7 ecoboost roost

You just displayed your incredible ignorance when referring to the corporate re-organization of GM back in 2008-2009.

In reality GM executives, and the top GM shareholders LOST THEIR A** because their personal positions in GM stock went to ZERO.

Not that they were the only ones, a lot of regular folks did too. But the top shareholders of GM stock were either GM executives or boardmembers.

Silverado...

Made with more Chinese and 3rd World parts than it’s competitors

Posted by: BA | Jun 21, 2018 7:08:25 PM

Frank, you had better get your sorry azz to Mickey D's and pick up my Happy Meal. I'd say that all depends on if the Sooper Dooty is running today or not. If not you can take your bicycle like you did the day before yesterday.

That's funny

Eliminate the CAFE standard and the domestic/import weighting.

I’ve had plenty of cars that were E85 capable, but that fuel is hard to find around here.

FlexFuel vehicles get a bonus in the CAFE system. So, that’s why so many trucks and SUVs are flex fuel.

There is more to all this than domestic pride.
Honda couldn’t sell Ridgelines if they faced the chicken tax.
Polaris sells more Rangers than Honda sells Ridgelines.

Its fun all the "buy American" people who think their Chevy and FIAT qualify when in reality the models they buy can be far less "American" than many import models. Then they will retreat to where the company is based or where the money "goes". Which is fascinating with GM taking Welfare and Fiat taking foreign aid (I guess when you give welfare to a foreign company/nation that's what it becomes), and being foreign. I know that foreign owned/based companies spend a lot of money here investing in plants. I know the towns the people, towns, cities, states, nation that benefit from this are American. If a stalwart "buy American" fan cant see the money or realizes hes backed a losing prospective they like to play the "parts content" card. That's ALL over the map and often even more insane than where the money goes since most of the money does still go to country of origin. The bottom line is you should buy the best product you can afford regardless of where it is made short of its country of origin being a mortal or current enemy of your home country. If that means buying "foreign" products OVER domestic then its a lesson to your domestic comrades to up their game. But honestly the big 3 minus one have done a horrible to mediocre job at that overall in a market that is always improving.

I could care less about the percentage of American made. I but the best vehicle for my needs with the features and quality I am looking for. They are all pretty good these days.

@2.7 ecoboost roost

Posted by: papajim | Jun 21, 2018 7:21:01 PM

You hate it when you're wrong, which is most of the time. Then you call me ignorant and partially say I'm right, but spin it by suggesting not many or some or whatever, regular people did in fact lose their a** also. Either way GM screwed the American tax payer. It's well documented and proven fact! The government also lost $1.3 Billion on Chrysler. How anyone loyal to those brands can rip Ford for paying back @ a low (3-5%) interest loan is ignorant and laughable. The government is at least making some money on Ford. GM is making high profit now as a result of getting the bailout, and at one point was considering paying back the $11.2 billion (actually it was a little less on initial reports) to avoid the negative consumer backlash, but Obama came to their aid saying they "paid back every dime" to pump up his ego. He later spun it by saying every dime they received during his tenure and that the loss was from the previous administration (of course!). I'd have all the respect in the world for them if they did pay it back, but we both know they wont because 90% the brain dead GM people in this country think they paid it back!! Hahahaha. SUCKERS!!

@ 2.7
Who f*cking cares! I drive a Ford I could care less about what happened 10 years ago even if tax payers had to pay, nobody noticed. You guys must have too much time on your hands to be thinking and worrying about nothing...if anything you should be glad it did happen, good competition is good for everyone. Companies without competition become mediocre.

@EB2.7

I misspoke. I meant to call you an ignorant imbecile. My mistake.

Posted by: 2.7EcoBoostRoost | Jun 22, 2018 11:51:54 AM

Try 0.5%. Ford IS NOT paying 3-5% or those bums would be rushing to pay it off. The American taxpayers are LOSING money because Ford isn't paying the loan back.

GM always screws US Taxpayers, the new blazer will be built in Mexico. Hoooorraayyyy

@ Frank
I could understand you saying that if Ford didn't build anything in Mexico, but they do. So...Hooray?

Hooray let's all celebrate how smart Frank is

Hooray let's all celebrate how smart Frank is

Posted by: BA | Jun 22, 2018 2:10:12 PM
—————————-

And we can all revel in your stupidity

Another accolade for the Ridgeline but this is old news.
I need to buy one of them American built Ridgelines 2007 was Canadian built.

Frank's always talking about Mexico. We are thinking of doing a romantic trip together later this summer

Well, let me elaborate...GM would rather pay $3/hr labor in Mexico instead of housing working here in the U.S.

Thanks GM. Next time you need bailout, you can count on us, but we can't count on you.

You're pathetic SCUM of THE EARTH.

I'm not surprised that Guangzhou Motors (GM) did not make the cut.

1. Jeep Cherokee: Belvidere, Ill.

2. Honda Odyssey: Lincoln, Ala.

3. Honda Ridgeline: Lincoln, Ala.

4. Ford Taurus: Chicago

5. Chevrolet Volt: Detroit

6. Honda Pilot: Lincoln, Ala.

7. Acura MDX: East Liberty, Ohio

8. Ford Explorer: Chicago

9. Ford F-150: Claycomo, Mo., and Dearborn, Mich.

10. Chevrolet Corvette: Bowling Green, Ky.

I see @oxi is bent about the Tacoma not making the list. Grade A b0z0.

How about some site moderation?

What an accomplishment for a truck, making a top ten list from a car website. That's something to brag about. amateurhour, the name says it all. LOL.

@ Frank
Like Tony pointed out, Ford builds junk down there too so you better cry a little more

@ amateurhour
Guangzhou Motors- that was awesome ! ,lol.
I had been recently told by a disgruntled GM guy that these days GM stands for Gracias Motors, ala henchio in El Mexijo.

The Blazer is suppose to be an American Icon, now it's a CUV Crossover that GM just ruined.

Pathetic company.

Gracias Mierda

BA

Posted by: BA | Jun 22, 2018 3:35:44 PM
—————————

It’s called American Made Index. Which is an accomplishment in this day and age. Hence no GM or Ram trucks on the list. Their use of Chinese and 3 World parts means they they don’t make the cut. Pretty pathetic considering all the tax dollars that bailed them out

@Frank

The original Ford Thunderbird is supposed to be an American icon, but Dearborn turned it into a lead sled ghetto cruiser. A lot of that going around.

@papajim,

The Blazer looks sad though, nothing close to what the Bronco will be.

@ Jeff
Lol well you just made it obvious that you're the p*ssy posting under my name, what a dumb a*s

Silverado...

Made with more Chinese and 3rd World parts than it’s competitors

Posted by: BA | Jun 21, 2018 7:08:25 PM

@ Frank

Talk about an american icon! Your beloved Ford is disgracing the Mach1 name and giving it to an electric /hybrid SUV...
Wanna talk about disgrace. The mach1 is the only mustang I ever liked. Absolutely a disgrace!! Swallow that one little fella

I think the new blazer has a camaro-esq front end to it. But I agree with u it doesn't look like an aggressive off roader but those SUVs aren't as popular as the car based ones now that everyone wants.
I am eager to see Ford does with it and what they put into it.

But the days of selling off road SUVs in large numbers is over. Not like it was 25 to 30 years ago.

@TNTGMC,

The name Mach 1 is an optional package, not a Model. Ford is free to use the option package trim on any Model Ford Vehicle.

Just like your precious GM puts a SuperSport badge on the Blazer, Wimpala, Camaro, Corvette, etc...

Choke on that GMboi

I am eager to see Ford does with it and what they put into it.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jun 22, 2018 5:39:11 PM

To be honest, I'm really liking older body style trucks from the mid 90s.

Just my opinion.

Posted by: BA | Jun 22, 2018 3:35:44 PM

The only build the Diesel engine in Mexico, GM is building the entire Blazer in Mexico.

Buy hey look at the bright side, MEXICO BEAT GERMANY in the WORLD CUP.

Posted by: BA | Jun 22, 2018 3:35:44 PM

Buy hey look at the bright side, MEXICO BEAT GERMANY in the WORLD CUP.