2018 One-Ton Truck Challenge Preview: Here's the 2018 Ford F-350 Lariat

03-ford-f-350-2018-cc

By Brian Normile

Our second competitor in our 2018 One-Ton Heavy-Duty Truck Challenge was this 2018 Ford F-350 Lariat. You've already seen the 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 High Country previewed here, so let's dive into what this F-350 offered our judges.

As a quick reminder, this test was for 4x4, crew-cab, single-rear-wheel trucks powered by diesel engines, and our pricing target was $75,000. Where the F-350 differed from the Silverado 3500 is in its optional features. For both, a diesel engine is a roughly a $9,000 option; however, the F-350 adds another $11,000 in features on top of the Power Stroke motor.

Racking up those extra costs is pretty easy. A 3.55:1 rear axle ratio is an extra $390, which seems reasonable, as does the $400 FX4 Off-Road Package. The significant charges were for things like the Lariat Ultimate Package, which adds navigation, LED bed lighting, remote start, a tailgate step, and 10-way heated and ventilated front seats for $3,255.

Towing tech racked up nearly $2,500 in extras: $500 for a fifth-wheel hitch prep package and $1,970 for Ford's towing tech bundle that includes adaptive steering, a lane-keeping alert system and a towing-focused camera system.

Chromed 20-inch aluminum wheels ($1,140), LED headlights ($1,080) and adaptive cruise control ($740) were the next three largest charges. Sprinkle in a few more goodies and the total cost of options on the F-350 came to $20,640. Add that and a $1,295 destination fee to a starting price of $52,535 and you get at $74,470 truck.

Our next and final competitor was a 2018 Ram 3500 Laramie, which we'll introduce Friday. Stay tuned for that preview and the full results of our 2018 One-Ton Heavy-Duty Truck Challenge Monday.

Cars.com photos by Chris Collard

48-ford-f-350-2018-cc

49-ford-f-350-2018-cc

51-ford-f-350-2018-cc

52-ford-f-350-2018-cc

53-ford-f-350-2018-cc

2018 Ford F-350 Monroney large

For a larger version of the 2018 Ford F-350 Monroney, click on the picture above.

Comments

Looks very nice and I have had good luck with my fords.

Wow! What a hugh steep down from the luxurious High Country. It's clear that there is a lot of recycled plastic and aluminum gone into the production of this Ford.

very nice truck, and I expect it to perform well

LOOK THE UNDER SIDE IS NOT RUSTED OUT

MASSIVE.

now that's an interior

The interior looks outdated already, the center stack is not pleasing to the eye. But look at those nice rear air vents, something the GM trucks lack.

Much nicer, inside and out, than that rusting eyesore Chevy previewed on Monday

Very nice Lariat not highest trim available and still nicer interior than the silverado, but PUTC should be using a F-350 Platinum to be comparing with the High Country as the Lariat is more for shaming a LTZ. Also with a Platinum most of the options that they paid for would be standard equipment.

Typical Ford JUNK. It is goofy looking just like my ex-hubby Chingon.

Nothing more than a recycled beer can!!!! HAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHA

Little biased since I have a 2017 with the 6.2. It’s been a great truck. Oddly the shocks are not Ranchos with the FX4 package? Not that the factory installed Ranchos are someting great.
So far it’s been oil changes and avg mixed gas mileage 11 to 12. 3:73 rear.

Geez. No wonder Ford has fire problems. Look at that Mouse nest of garbage under the hood. That is ridiculous!

Outside of truck is ugly

Interior is stilled filled with plastics everywhere. I do love black interior though. Its my favorite

A proper Dana S60 front axle - I might add.. ;)

TNTGMC

look at the GM pic again ain't much of a difference

"A 3.55:1 rear axle ratio is an extra $390, which seems reasonable"

Does it also add electronic locking? Unless there was more than simply changing ratios I would say that it is outrageous.

"$1,295 destination fee" Everybody does this now but I can remember when they charged according to distance from the factory and you could pick one up in Detroit for free. My father made several flights to Detroit to pick up new cars and saved more than enough to make the trip worthwhile.

I have a 2017 with the 6.2. It’s been a great truck.
Posted by: Grnzel | Jul 25, 2018

@Grnzel

Sounds like a really great truck. Gotta love that 6.2 SOHC Ford V8. With the six-speed trans do you ever wish for more gears?

Holy cow! Check out that under hood shot. A mechanic's worst nightmare! Fords are easily the hardest truck to work on. Designed by the typical engineer!!

@manic mechanic

It looks like a party on the patio!

"TNTGMC

look at the GM pic again ain't much of a difference
Posted by: Ford Rules GM Drools | Jul 25, 2018 10:09:19 AM"

Don't bother asking, the gm bifocals wont let' em see it.....

Looks very nice and I have had good luck with my fords.

Posted by: Jason S | Jul 25, 2018 7:22:58 AM

Ditto. It's a Beefy truck.

TNTGMC

look at the GM pic again ain't much of a difference

Posted by: Ford Rules GM Drools | Jul 25, 2018 10:09:19 AM

The guy is a friggin t00l

Just do not like the DRL lights on the Ford. not sure why they even offer a FX4 package on a 1 ton truck....

No 410 rear.
Seems odd.
Would like to know the story there (noticed the government truck didn't have 410 either).
So much money... For me, it could never be justified. For those who really can justify it or just have the money to play, more power to you.

Nice 👍 and excuse my wife she is a tweeker and she doesn’t know what she is saying. Go Ford!!!

@papa
The 6.2 and the 5.0 are the only Ford motors I’d buy. Yes, the 6.2 is a honey - it pulls around my Grand Design 34ft travel trailer with ease. The 4:10 in this drivetrain must be a rocket, I have the elocker 3:73. The 6 speed seems fine actually. Rumors in the Ford camp are the 10sp will be coming to the SD.
Biggest disappointments - bought the XLT Premium and it did not come with auto dim rear mirrors or leather steering wheel like my F150 (upgraded after the fact)
Biggest surprise - the brakes are better than expected.
Sucks to park. Seeing a ton of these in CCSB in Eastern PA.

The DLRs are user configurable. I turned mine off

Seeing that Ford it makes the fiat trucks and GARBAGE MOTORS TRUCKS LOOK LIKE CRAP 💩 POOP. And again excuse my EX-WIFE SHE OUT OF THIS WORLD 🌎 . She is a crack head so my apologies. I know she loves FORD but right now she’s not on her five sense.

@ full size

I agree GMs has a lot going on under hood too, but even u can see that this is a cluster "F"

@ Frank

Don't respond anymore. U can't debate without insulting. You are a lost little man. Please excuse yourself.

@ grnzel

I agree...those 2 V8s are only two engines I'd buy from.Ford.

Ford made a huge mistake taking away the 6.2L out of half ton and not updating it. What a shame! Heck of a lot better engines than the ecobusts

Posted by: Chingon | Jul 25, 2018 11:35:53 AM

Excuse me?! You wife??!! I divorced your sorry two timing unemployed AZZ two years ago!!! Go GM and Go RAM!!

Ditto. It's a Beefy truck.

Posted by: Frank | Jul 25, 2018 11:14:10 AM

You sound a lot like my ex-husband Chingon! Maybe you two should hook up for a night on the town!!! HAHAHAHAHHAHA

I apologize again but I still do my ex-wife. Even though she is saying that I’m her ex don’t listen to her I still do her. And she likes FORD.

Who ever wins this will not change the fact that Ford sells more 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Ram is second in this class. GM is last. That is the facts.

FORD MEANS B=========D for my EX-WIFE AND ALL THE GARBAGE MOTORS AND FIAT LOVERS. SPEAKING ABOUT FIAT GUESS WHAT? SERGIO MARCHIONNE PASSED AWAY SORRY FIAT FANS GIRLYS PRAYER TO SERGIO AND HIS FAMILY.

@ Frank

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jul 25, 2018 11:54:53 AM

LMFAO, stop it girl, nobody cares for you, nor is anyone directly speaking to you.

Posted by: Chingon | Jul 25, 2018 12:05:47 PM

Like H#LL you do!! You make my skin crawl you creep!! The only way you still "do" me is in your sick dreams and fantasies. Did you ever move out of your momma's basement?? NOPE AHAHAHAHAHAHA LOSER!!!

Chill girl don’t get aggressive with me so quit it.

@ Frank

Lol....have u seen people respond to your posts...your in denial little man.

And go ford and f GARBAGE MOTORS AND FIAT TRUCKS.

I'm sorry you guys. I really shouldn't be commenting on trucks I only wish I could afford. I would have to suck way more pole every day to cover the note on one of these. I guess I will stock up on chapstick.

@ Frank

U seem to respond to everyone of my posts as well. So your a hypocrite! U don't even realize what u say when u comment......LMFAO... Keep it up small Fry... Haha

You should come to my house and suck my pole. Then I will suck yours?

Don't you worry, he's tiny.

You know why GM trucks have an offset steering column? So we can blow ourselves without leaving the drivers seat!

@tnt
Agree they should have kept the 6.2 in the half tons.
The 6.2 itself was upgraded in 2017. New cams and intake which boosted TQ up 25 ftlbs to 430. HP did not change at 385.
I do like the TQ when pulling the TT.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jul 25, 2018 12:45:08 PM

@ Fake TNTGMC

Do you know why people like my ex-hubby Chingon and yourself drive Fords? So you can visit the mechanics that you have a crush on at the Ford dealership more often!!! HAHAHAHA

Unreliable trucks like Fords are at the dealership a lot more often. How do I know this? I was married to that dope Chingon unfortunately!!!

You know what I have and that’s why you still visit me at night. And yes we get down on my FORD F-150 inside the cab. So you guys excuse my dum wife she doesn’t know how to get revenge on me so don’t listen to her she’s out of this world. Pretty soon she’s going to be begging for more at night.

Posted by: Chingon | Jul 25, 2018 1:04:28 PM

HAHAHA...In your dreams NUMB NUTZ!!! Why don't you tell everyone that your truck is stationary and doesn't leave your mom's front yard. HAHAHAHA

Looks very nice and I have had good luck with my fords.

HaHah chill babe don’t be embarrassed 😳 it’s ok to tell the world that we be long each other. And that you need me to survive your miserable life and that we are FIRD LOVERS ❤️ COME ON BABE DON’T BE LIKE THAT. I KNOW YOU LOVE MY CHORIZO.