2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Wants to Make Towing Safer

2019-Silverado-Trailering-01 II

After speaking with some 7,000 Chevrolet truck customers and chalking up more than 18,000 hours in the process, the engineering team working on the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 decided to up their towing game with the all-new half-ton pickup truck. In fact, 60 percent of those surveyed said that towing was a key consideration in their next pickup purchase.

The new Silverado 1500, on its way to dealerships now, will offer several all-new technologies and towing packages. It will also provide a brand-new door tag that will let owners see exactly how much their individual pickups can safely tow and carry. The new door tag will list both the max tongue weight and gross combined weight rating for the pickup, which shows precisely how much the truck can safely tow. Other numbers on this new door tag will include gross vehicle and rear gross axle weight ratings, max payload and the truck's curb weight. (These door tags are not required by the government.)

Among the new technologies offered as an option, the myChevrolet phone app will provide a towing checklist, glossary of terms and even allow drivers to conduct a trailer-light tests from their phone single-handedly.

2019-Silverado-Trailering-05 II

For truck buyers that know they'll be towing more often, Chevy offers what it calls its Advance Trailering System. This includes Auto Parking Brake Assist, which prevents any rollback when taking your foot off the brake during hitch-ups; a new hitch guidance view in the backup camera with new dynamic backup lines; and a new tire pressure monitoring system that can include the trailer tires and features temperature and pressure readouts. Additionally, this advanced system available in the myChevrolet app can track real-time mileage, transmission temperature and provide monitoring for the driver with up to five different trailer types. There's even a Trailer Theft Alert option that will connect your trailer with your tow vehicle's alarm system, blowing all horns and lights if the harnesses are disconnected.

The final piece of the towing puzzle is a set of upgraded cameras, four in all, that cover the vehicle to provide a 270-degree view at any given time. Cameras are located at the bottom of the rearview mirrors and in the tailgate, with an optional fourth camera available to be mounted to the rear of the trailer that must be hard-wired.

The Advanced Trailering System will be standard on LTZ and High Country trims and available for LT, RST and Trail Boss trim levels for $240. Pricing for the option will fluctuate based on trim and features.

Manufacturer images

2019-Silverado-Trailering-010 (1) II

2019-Silverado-Trailering-09 II

2019-Silverado-Trailering-02 II

2019-Silverado-Trailering-04 II

2019-Silverado-Trailering-03 II

2019-Silverado-Trailering-08 II

Comments

Great, still copying Ford I see. Comeon GM come up with your own stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@TNTGMC

copied towing ideas? The folks at GM just wanted to give Ford owners a chance to look nicer doing it. You gotta admit that Chevy looks way better than the 2018 F150

Looking forward to GM getting the 1500’s to market, so I can see what is in store for the HD’s.

Cool technology from the leader in the space. Another thing GM does to increase safety is not to mislead the consumer on what these trucks are capable of towing unlike what Ford does. Fortunately, we have PUTC for testing these vehicles and keeping it real.

If the trailer information tag/decal is from the truck shown in the top picture then GM has removed about 180 to 200 lbs of weight from the equivalent outgoing model.

There are several aftermarket and some OEM manufacturers that fit these in Australia. Every manufacturer of Pickups should have similar systems

The only thing that I see as really new is the doortag. In reality though, that is probably one of the most important and delivers great value in that it probably adds almost no cost to the vehicle. The TPMS system is great, hopefully Ford will include that on the F150 soon. The other stuff is all good but does not strike me as new.

Tyre pressure monitor when towing

@papajim,
Australia already has this.

Yawn.

Man that front end is hideous!

But actually it's not bad compared to the horrific "birthing alien" center stack.

No, it doesn't.

Great looking and capable truck. Nice new features added.

I like this truck more and more each time I see it.

I see the Ford GURYGIRLS and fake posters are still crying about it. LOL!!

copied towing ideas?

Posted by: papajim | Aug 6, 2018 7:08:07 AM

@papajim
Australia already has this.

Do the research.

Another Yawn day for GM. I agree with TNT on this one (oddly enough), but in reality, Ford first and now GM have copied this tech from the likes of Land rover and others, the foreign companies are always first. The Us is usually years late to the party......

Posted by: Nitro | Aug 6, 2018 9:20:35 AM

Fake News.

"Tyre pressure monitor when towing
Posted by: Robert Rya"

After market kits are available here as well. They were well established in 2013 when I added one to my motorhome. Also, Ford started putting them on the F250 and F350 for the 2017 model year but it is still nice to see a good safety feature spreading.

They all copy each other, and that is a good thing especially when safety is the matter.

Ford needs to copy others so as not to be a dangerous truck to drive.

Even the Raptor has a dangerous rear suspension flaw and hops and shakes dangerously. Ford admits it, and had has changed the design for 2019.

Look it up all you ignorant people who look at the Raptor suspension and "think" it is good by just looking at it. Become intelligent human being.

“ I just wish Ford would copy GM and make a truck that does not tow dangerously with a bad suspension(just read pickuptrucks.com last article on the one ton truck comparison). “

PUTC messes up with the tongue weight and didn’t have it at a safe percentage.

PUTC messes up with the tongue weight and didn’t have it at a safe percentage.

Posted by: BA | Aug 6, 2018 10:42:29 AM

If the other trucks didnt have a problem with the towing parameters, then it's a flaw for the Ford.

Perhaps they should just de-rate the vehicle?

Perhaps PUTC should have used a safe tongue weight when towing with the Ford.

@Papa Jim: too bad the new Chevy is flat out ugly in the front end.

I would have thought they learned.

Oh well, I like my 2018 F-150 XLT FX4, and my 2.7 has more torque than the GM 2.7, by a good deal.

Perhaps PUTC should have used a safe tongue weight when towing with the Ford.

Posted by: BA | Aug 6, 2018 11:12:07 AM

Perhaps PUTC overrated the Ford after the truck exhibited uncomfortable seating and unsafe towing characteristics. After all, both the Ram and GM where more comfortable and confident towing machines.

The trailer the F350 towed had incorrect weight distribution. Not enough forward on the tongue

Sure is hard for you GMShills to understand what was already clarified....again

The little piece of fender that sticks down in front of the front tire looks like good place for limbs to hang. I can't wait to see the first one that goes in the woods.

4th straight win for the FORD GT in IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship!

Making a mockery out the series.

4th straight win for the FORD GT in IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship!

Making a mockery out the series.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Aug 6, 2018 12:15:46 PM

With 3 races to go, the Vette's got this........again.

With 3 races to go, the Vette's got this........again.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Aug 6, 2018 1:28:26 PM
———————-

The No. 67 Ford GT leads the No. 3 Corvette Racing Corvette C7.R co-driven by Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen by four points, 241-237, while the No. 66 Ford GT of Joey Hand and Dirk Mueller sits another five points back in third.

Don’t count your bailout Monopoly money yet.

Don’t count your bailout Monopoly money yet.

Posted by: Brick | Aug 6, 2018 1:35:55 PM

We all know Ford can't keep it together long enough for a championship win, like the Corvette has.

Can’t keep it together huh?

Says the GMShill who champions for the company that declared bankruptcy and failed in the marketplace of capitalism.

GM is the definition of cant keep it together

Sure is hard for you GMShills to understand what was already clarified....again

Posted by: BA | Aug 6, 2018 11:31:57 AM

I am in need of another bleaching you know where. Can you check your appointment book and get back to me with a date and time that is good for you?

You know I’m not a Frank fan....but are you going to discuss vehicles or make personal attacks?

^^^^

That comment was directed at the imposter

There are some really over the top fan boys here, especially from the GM and Ford camps. Ram has some doozies too!

TNTGMC, Stop with the homo bleaching comments. We know it is you.

TNTGMC, Stop with the homo bleaching comments. We know it is you.

Posted by: Tom | Aug 6, 2018 2:17:08 PM

But, Frank and BA had it coming...those Ford Shills!!!

@ imposter

Wow! I dont comment for the weekend and this is the sh$t I come back to??

Unreal

I have a questions for this spineless coward:

#1--do you enjoy being me?

#2---do you think this upsets me by using my username?

#3--- do us all a favor and tell us your real name?

BTW... I won't post something idiotic about Fords being on top bc they aren't. You are obviously a butt hurt Ford guy who isnt happy with his vehicle.... I pitty u....

@ TNTGMC

I’ll answer question # 2

Yes it upsets you. It’s quite obvious with your whining rants.

BTW. Whether it’s about GM or Ford, whatever you post is idiotic.

Copy Ford? Come on you guys there's no damn way any GM is going to copy Ford Ford has their own problems
... by the way for it's not the first to have trailer control do your homework

@ Brick

And thats your opinion. But half of what is posted isnt me. I posts facts. If u dont like it...oh well

@ Brick

😔

See, I can play that game too.

Oops...I did forget to change my username before I sent that comment off to Brick

GUTS

GLORY

WILL DESTROY THE 2019 SILVERADO

CLASS LEADING

MOST LUXURIOUS PICKUP

2019 RAM

@ imposter

LMFAO.... Your funny. You imposter so many people u dont even know which user name to use! What a loser! Lol.

that's truck is gorgeous! Gm will sale thousands of these. Great job GM. Way to push the limits. V8 technology that gets better fuel economy than any junk ecobust. And the reliability is backed by over 100 million small block V8s sold under GM. What a milestone. Love GM trucks.

Sure is hard for you GMShills to understand what was already clarified....again

Posted by: BA | Aug 6, 2018 11:31:57 AM

Weight distribution has no effect on the death wobble.

that's truck is gorgeous! Gm will sale thousands of these.......

Posted by: TNTGMC | Aug 6, 2018 4:08:29 PM

I believe you meant, GM will sell hundreds of thousands of these.

I come back from vacation to find that a bunch of fvcking losers are posting as me again. Get a fvcking life.

Really loving the look of this thing. Interior looks great in vids too.