2020 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra 3500 Pickups: Spied

ChevyHD.LEDs.g02.KGP.ed copyII

With the reveal of both the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 (which we'll get to drive this week), the heavy-duty models are getting close. In fact, our spy shooters are seeing camouflaged, full-trim models running rural neighborhoods to do some final towing and hauling testing. Here's what they've just sent us:

"We just got our first look at the headlight LED signatures for the HD Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra thanks to production headlights finally being installed on these prototypes.

"Until now, GM's next-generation heavy-duty pickup truck prototypes had been running with fake placeholder lighting systems that, while functional, offered no glimpse at the trucks' final styling. The Silverado/Sierra HD truck program has now progressed to the point that production-spec headlights have been installed on some test trucks, and we caught a fleet of the finalized prototypes running in a convoy on public roads. In this group were a number of Chevy HD prototypes and a single GMC HD prototype.

"The LED signature of both the Chevy and GMC trucks are now visible through the frontal camouflage, and we can see how the HD trucks' LED treatments differ from the Silverado and Sierra 1500s.

"The all-new Silverado 1500 gets a fairly radical LED treatment, with boomerang-shaped LED signatures serving as the headlight's standout lighting feature. The Silverado HDs also get an eye-catching LED signature, but one that's significantly toned-down compared to the 2019 half tons. The hood, grille and headlights were teased in an official PR teaser shot, but the prototypes reveal more of the final treatment and how the Silverado HD will announce itself when approaching at night. We also got confirmation of the bold "Chevrolet" lettering that runs the full width of the grille. The "R" is clearly visible through a hole in the grille mesh.

"One prototype in the convoy was a Sierra 3500 test truck and it, too, had the production headlight design. However, the GMC HD's LED signature seems to remain more conservative than its Chevy counterpart. The LED signature remains a simple arc outlining the outer edge of the Sierra HD's headlight-very similar to what we see on current Sierra 1500s."

KGP Photography images

ChevyHD.LEDs.g07.KGP.ed copyII

ChevyHD.LEDs.g08.KGP.ed copyII

ChevyHD.LEDs.g03.KGP.ed copyII

GMC.HD.LEDs.g03.KGP.ed copyII

GMC.HD.LEDs.g01.KGP.ed copyII

GMC.HD.LEDs.g02.KGP.ed copyII

GMC.HD.LEDs.g05.KGP.ed copyII

GMC.HD.LEDs.g06.KGP.ed copyII

Comments

More game changer coming at ya.

More girl suspension? I wouldn't hold your breath...

I hope it aint got that ugly front end.

GUTLESS

GLORYLESS

OUTCLASSED BY RAM

GM HD TRUCKS

Say what you want. It will tow and haul more competently and safely than any Ford and RAM because GM's engineers have the brain power to make a cohesive and smart product.
But it probably won't outlast the RAM.
And all the while Ford guys will continue to think they have the better truck. Just feel sorry for them.

Great job GM! It will dominate performance for 19 years straight and we will still have excuses after excuses from the competition!

GM doesn't have to brag about "Class Leading" nonsense. They just go about their business and get the job done! Like hard working Americans!

Ford reminds me of a show boat professional athlete...."Look at me, look at me" when they make a decent play or do something their supposed to do, but then fall flat on their face when real competition shows up!

Hemi Rampage

Show me where Ram has our-classed GM? The last comparison test showed otherwise. stop spewing nonsense!

You sound like the BA, Frank, and Frank from Florida

Hemi Rampage

You sound like the BA, Frank, and Frank from Florida

@ tntgmc In case you don't know GM is in third place in 3/4 and 1 ton. So most disagree with you.

I'm old enough to be retired and for as long as I can remember GM has been trying to create a game-changer. The only game they've ever changed is their own... as in "back to the drawing board."

Yes GM has been losing market share in trucks for years.

Posted by: Dale | Aug 22, 2018 10:35:09 AM

Had you driven GM products all your life you may be retired now. Vehicles can be expensive to maintain, especially Fords.

Those wheel wells.

@ gms So you think the fleet managers that track total owning costs just buy Fords because they like them. Any way you look at that is not good for GM.

I have worked on all big 3 trucks in general automotive. The most that come in to the shop are powerstrokes. Gm and dodge are a tie usually not engine issues, but more so emission junk or rusted brake lines. The number 1 reason most fleet guys buy fords is the cost to buy. The resale of gm duramax trucks are pretty high compared to ford. Dodge is higher than ford, but cheaper then gm from what i seen. I like the comfort of a ride of gm vs dodge and ford, but would rather have a cummins with an allison transmission. Even though duramax is a very close 2nd. I would not think of buying a stroke, it would cause me to have one!

The response to these stories about today's HDs cracks me up.

When I think back to the rough, crude and under-powered 2500 and 3500 trucks I used back in the 1960s and 70s these modern HDs are amazing.

I remember when work was being passed out by the boss in the morning guys would literally RUN to the parking lot just to get dibs on a company truck that had a radio, or power steering, or comfortable seats. Air conditioning? The boss's truck didn't even have AC. Power seats and windows? Hell no.

Todays HD trucks are cream puffs!

@ just the truth

Please read and see who is 3rd..WOW

you should be names "Full of Cr@p""

More girl suspension? I wouldn't hold your breath...
Posted by: redbloodedxy | Aug 22, 2018 7:44:17 AM

Judging by the extreme suspension sag and 20k mile death wobble, the only sissy suspension is under the Ford trucks. Compare the track bar Ford uses today to one they used 30 years ago and the new ones are a real j0ke. And don't get me started on those plastic hubs Ford uses in that front axle. Ever since Ford went to ESOF, the front hub locks are nothing but cheap plastic garbage.

@Mulder

redblood is right. The puny little a-arms on the front of the GM are a joke. You hit a moderate sized pothole and you need new balljoints. Ford and Ram have the proven straight axle.

I am just an idiot who forgot to log in again!

Hey sweety, this is your mother. Don't talk about yourself like that! Remember the mantra you chanted everytime we sat and I combed your hair? Sounds like you need to come over so I can remind you.

I love you mom.

Lmfao

Poor fangirls are really upset today!

Excuses, excuses, excuses....maybe they'll boycott and take a knee like their sissy professional athletes.

Sorry for that last comment! Forgot to login again!

Posted by: No name needed
Same...grandson works in oil fields of northern Canada...is HD mechanic...says pretty much the same...Ford guys keep trying to get into the shop for free fixes...they buy them because they get good deals...not because they don't need repairs a lot.

anybody can say what they want and have their opinion.. they all three have their pros and cons. but I think ultimately it comes down to preference. If you're a Chevy guy you're a Chevy guy. The most Dependable longest lasting truck on the road. That's that.

My Friend is a GM HD Mechanics, he constantly talks bad about the immense amount of Duramaxs' blowing injectors and intake manifold, he said he wouldn't buy one at all.

He also says that by 20K the dashboard starts to rip, this is on his old LTZ and will no longer buy another GM Truck.

He is the lead mechanic at Sullivans Chevrolet.

The most Dependable longest lasting truck on the road. That's that.

Posted by: Warm salt air | Aug 22, 2018 4:27:07 PM

Based on registrations of truck stranded in front lawns. A rather stoopid claim to persuade the gmsheeps.

@no name

"I have worked on all big 3 trucks in general automotive. The most that come in to the shop are powerstrokes. Gm and dodge are a tie usually not engine issues, but more so emission junk or rusted brake lines.

Posted by: No name needed | Aug 22, 2018 11:33:06 AM"

Bwahahahahaha!!! I call horse manure on this!!!
"Not usually"?? If you really worked on todays 3/4 & 1 ton diesels you would know how much those garbage 2011-2016 Duramax get towed to shops ALL the time for engine problems that leave them stranded all over.

Posted by: Just the truth | Aug 22, 2018 11:00:56 AM

Nope, Ford's are purchased by more fleets because of initial purchase price.

Nope, Ford's are purchased by more fleets because of initial purchase price.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Aug 22, 2018 5:22:20 PM

Fleet managers will not pay more for a Ford.

just the truth

Please read and see who is 3rd..WOW
/QUOTE

Thanx for posting that,,
,Frodnatics and Rambozos are still in denial about losing every time,,sad bunch of girly boys

Any vehicle mass produced is going to allow lemons to get out. All of the big 3s trucks have pros and cons. 1 thing they all have in common is they are ALL OVERPRICED!!!! I know people with homes less expensive then some of these.

@papajim
Pickup Trucks generally have come a long way in creature comforts . Even Class 8 European Trucks drive like SUV's with appropriate creature comforts

I heard from a reliable source that customers who pay cash get an extra 6 mpg compared to the rest of the world. That's down from the 8 mpg extra that cash paying customers on this very site got on previous generation 6.2 trucks. I guess 6 mpg isn't that bad......

@TNTGMC

I guess you didn't read anything in that review. Everyone actually loved the ram more than the other when it came to do its job, HD towing. It lost on paper when you compared sheer numbers but in terms of being the best drivers truck it was pretty clear the testers didn't feel it was the worst by any metric.

@ tntgmc Yes GM is thrid in sales of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

@ 2.7EcoBoostRoost

I heard from a reliable source TNTGMC is a lying GMShill

@ CH and Full of Cr@p

It placed third!!! No matter how much those guys loved it....thats where it placed. Sorry!

BA

Hey u showed up And whining again. The guy who can't take the fact that my 6.2L get better gas mileage than anything he owns...what a cry baby!! Wha, wha!!

@TNTGMC

Pardon me for not taking a liar ( you ) at his word about false claims of mpg.

@ BA

Pardon me for giving 2 cents what u think. Jealous is all you are.

But you think everyone lies bc ford lies to you! We know you are used to it. I kinda feel sorry for u.....juuust a little.

@ TNTGMC

Once again you’ve made another mistake. There’s no jealousy. What you see my pity for how consumed you are of being a GMShill. It shows how mentally unstable you are.

The same linear-rate torsion bar IFS garbage.
Glad to see they are towing a 5th Wheel camper on pavement, that’s all those GM-HDs are good at-pavement princessss.
Stiff and rough ride IFS, compared to progressive rate coils in Ford and Ram.
Less total suspension travel and articulation.
The more the suspension travels, the greater the non-equal steering input from individual suspension deflection.
It is called bump-steer and there is a reason why cranking the torsion bar keys is a bad idea. You’ll hear GM guys talk about he Ford death wobble, but they just accept the constant steering input to keep a GM IFS truck with reasonably sized tires tracking correctly.
Sure the last GMT900 update made a big impact, the competition has refined their SFA setups to provide a superior ride, better off-road handling, and very good stability.
If not for the Duramax-Allison combo, GM wouldn’t have but a fraction of their already partly 20%, of the HD pickup market.
Me personally, I grew sick of needing an alignment or puking a half-shaft every time I took my GM IFS 2500 HD off-road. I had 285/75R16s and that was considered “too big” and GM wouldn’t honor their warranty after the front diff case cracked.

"GM, the most dependable longest lasting trucks on the road"

Key words ON THE ROAD. Don't dare take these things off road with that IFS or you may consider suing for false advertisement.

@ BA

I'm great! I drive the most powerful V8 in a half ton and get great has mileage. You are clearly jealous otherwise we wouldn't hear you whining about it everyday. Man thats gotta get cumbersome!!

gas

To all the Ford racing fans, what happened at VIR last weekend? The DNF (clutch problems) for one of the GT's doesn't bode well for a championship bid. Also the remaining lone GT needed to finish in front of both Corvettes to keep a championship hopes alive. 2 races remaining and we all know the Corvettes will make it to the end (barring a racing incedent) Can FORD Hold it together long enough to finish on top. Good luck.

This is a truck site. But that said, GM has to have an engine almost twice the displacement to competitive If that is not funny nothing is.

Posted by: Just the truth | Aug 23, 2018 9:27:43 AM

You're not that good with math or knowledgeable in induction systems. You just revealed how funny (stupid) you are.

Thanks gms I value your opinion so much. Said with much sarcasm.