Chevrolet Turns Up the Off-Road Volume With Colorado ZR2 Bison

2019-Chevrolet-Colorado-ZR2-Bison-001 copy

Chevrolet recently debuted the all-new 2019 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Bison as an answer for hardcore off-roaders looking for more style and capability from their backcountry exploration vehicle. This new trim package is the result of a collaboration between Chevy engineers and American Expedition Vehicles, a longtime aftermarket off-road outfitter that has specialized in upgrading 4x4 Jeeps and Ram pickups in the past.

We last saw these two working together at the 2017 Specialty Equipment Market Association Show, in the form of a generically named concept vehicle with all sorts of cool and interesting details. Check out of the AEV concept overlander  video here.

Earlier this year, AEV displayed specialty parts designed for the current Colorado ZR2 at the Overland Expo West, which had us thinking something more significant might be coming. And here it is: the 2019 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Bison.

Among the ZR2 Bison's more stylish and significant changes are an exclusive flow-through Chevrolet grille (a la the 2019 Silverado 1500) and larger fender flares. The new trim also will include Bison-specific 17-by-8-inch aluminum wheels with 31-inch Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac off-road tires. Several Bison decals will adorn the sides of the truck and the tailgate will sport a unique AEV Bison nameplate. Underneath will be five separate AEV skid plates created to protect the transmission, transfer case, oil pan, fuel tank, and the front and rear locking differentials. Other AEV customizing parts will also be avaialble, such as the pictured high-mounted air intake. And in case you were wondering, the Colorado's class-exclusive Multimatic DSSV shocks and suspension are unchanged.

The Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Bison will be offered in both crew (short bed) and extended cabs (long bed) with a choice of the 3.6-liter V-6 gas engine or torquey turbo-diesel 2.8-liter Duramax inline-four-cylinder. The 2019 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Bison will go on sale in January 2019 and is backed by a full factory warranty. Pricing will be released closer to its on-sale date.

Manufacturer images

2019-Chevrolet-Colorado-ZR2-Bison-001 copyAA

2019-Chevrolet-Colorado-ZR2-Bison-003 copy II

2019-Chevrolet-Colorado-ZR2-Bison-004 copy2

2019-Chevrolet-Colorado-ZR2-Bison-009 copy II

2019-Chevrolet-Colorado-ZR2-Bison-006 copy II

2019-Chevrolet-Colorado-ZR2-Bison-007 copy II

2019-Chevrolet-Colorado-ZR2-Bison-005 copy

2019-Chevrolet-Colorado-ZR2-Bison-008 copy

2019-Chevrolet-Colorado-ZR2-Bison-004 copy II

Comments

WTF are you guys talking about? The only thing GM has over Ford is .3 seconds 0-60 on the duramax and powerstroke.

Other than that, the F-150 decimates all with Ecoboost.

I'd really couldn't care less what you would say, I'm out in the real world seeing it first hand.

Posted by: That Guy Frank | Sep 6, 2018 11:57:47 AM

See what I mean. He couldn't help himself.....

Raptaurus

Raptaurus

See what I mean. He couldn't help himself.....

Posted by: andrwken | Sep 6, 2018 12:16:38 PM

Someone has to call you out on your idiocy.

Raptaurus

Shut up TNTGMC

tnt

"

Why dont you show where these "independent tests" can be found besides possibly in your imagination?

@ Fulsize

You asked for it:

Now you have any other wishes.

ZR2 is supreme!
Posted by: TNTGMC | Sep 6, 2018 11:56:09 AM"

Yeah i wish you would read my post with your glasses on this time. You would see what i was asking your fellow fan-boy about.

Shut up TNT you idiot.

It certainly appears that certain Ford fans take this place and the comments made in here way too seriously.

Boys, there is life away from PUTC and the computer screen in your parent's basement.

PS, TNTGMC,

I would love it if you would lay nekkid on the couch some day in my office. Maybe we can talk about it at your next appointment?

Great job GM! Offering a true off roader and not just a sand runner!

Its also great they're offering it with both engine choices!

Wonder where the Ford Raptaurus is? Oh ya 2 years away! But there are some sweet pics of it to look at all over the internet. Along with a HD video for the Ford boys

Posted by: TNTGMC | Sep 6, 2018 7:30:33 AM

You're welcome. Ford wouldn't let us build a truck for them.

"Less output is based on real world results in real world situations. You Ford guys are the first to throw the 0-60 out( see duramax vs powerstroke).

So your truck loses the review by Motor Trend and now they are an advertising company? You just said the GM guys complain the most when they lose a review. Thanks for proving yourself wrong.

It's your money, if you want to donate to an inferior product, which is setting records for recalls as the most recalled vehicle in history, by all means spend away.
Posted by: andrwken | Sep 6, 2018 11:21:21 AM"

I'm telling you that you gm boys are something else, you guys always hang on to who wins the 0-60 but the Ford is WAY faster here and NOW its about "Less output is based on real world results in real world situations".

Its funny how you put a spin to what i said, gm boys DO always complain the most when they lose a review and the winner was slower than the gm.

Someone has to call you out on your idiocy.

Posted by: That Guy Frank | Sep 6, 2018 12:20:35 PM

No kidding! People have been doing that with you for years now!

Please PUTC get rid of this mindless person using others names. Its alittle out of control! Thank you

@ Fullsize

Obviously you don't read or watch videos. Bc there are FACTS in them that you were calling Red out on. Clearly you don't like facts and be put into your place!! Oh Well!

It's nice to see the ZR2 models get a front bumper. I have been in a heated legal battle with Chevrolet trying to get my Trax front fascia back from the rest of the Colorado line up. Maybe we should call it ColoTrax? Since the front ends apparently interchange!! LOLOLOLOLOL.

Wow, Raptors failing without the excuse of broken plastic gears. Nice find TNTGMC.

Good point Traxman. I guess I never thought of that.

Posted by: That Guy Frank | Sep 6, 2018 11:57:47 AM

LOL are you referring to that 2018 1-ton challenge where the F-350 was on the verge of death wobbling every time it hit an expansion joint?

"But the towing performance of this single-rear-wheel Ford Super Duty F-350 left us underwhelmed, as it felt like it was most affected by the load behind it."

"Several judges said that it felt like the trailer was pushing the truck around a lot more than the other competitors, creating a less stable, less confident experience. "When towing over the road, the rear suspension got into a weird resonance wave where the trailer was pushing and pulling the Super Duty," Williams said. "It got bad enough to where I had to let off the throttle and coast a bit to let all the weight recalibrate." Barnes experienced a similar issue while towing up a moderate grade. "The Ford towed well overall but had a serious fore-and-aft frequency issue that was started by certain bumps and would keep getting worse unless the throttle was released."

"Poor braking stability: When we switched off the trailer brakes, the Ford F-350 did not inspire confidence in our closed-course 40-to-zero-mph emergency panic stop testing. Drivers experienced a lot of lateral movement and loss of composure."

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Sep 6, 2018 12:44:42 PM

The new Raptor does resemble a Taurus which looks like dog $hit in my opinion.

(edit) Don't mention it GMSRGREAT. I don't have anything better to do since I'm a loser.

"@ Fullsize

Posted by: TNTGMC | Sep 6, 2018 12:38:57 PM"

Bwahahahah! You are the expert in posting links with "facts" so where besides you and reds typed opinions on a comment section can these facts be found?? Again in case you had trouble reading my initial post aimed at reds comment: i asked him to back up his story about the Raptors rear end being defective and there being "known" problems.

I would almost take offense about you putting me in place if it wasn't a sad fact that i have actually educated you before on the brand you love most.

Ford stock down to $9.42 despite selling 80k trucks. The investors know Ford can't make any money selling all those fleet trucks and knocking 30% off 2018 F-150's. Somehow Ford is going to have to squeeze even more cost out of those trucks. The interior is already so cheap the dashes are warping on the dealer lot and the oil pans leaking all over the ground. There isn't a single thing about these 2015+ F-150's that's built to last. Heck, even the brakes don't last more than 40k miles on the new Fords. No wonder so many Ford guys I know trade their truck in every few years. The timing chain is rattling on cold starts and the IWE's are starting to grind, time to trade it in before the warranty is up.

TNT- the most called guy on here, its hilarious!

@ fullsize

Truth hurts doesn't it! Keep whining! And yes those are FACTS from articles and videos. Cry baby!

@ Nitro

Please! My posts are in blue. Good day to you! Can't help it that some spineless clown uses my name.

BTW... When have u educated me fullsize?? Mr. 4.6L Triton... Lol

You're welcome. Ford wouldn't let us build a truck for them.

Posted by: AEV | Sep 6, 2018 12:34:15 PM

Ford likes to build their own trucks.

Ford likes to build their own trucks.

@ Guy Frank

Thats why they start of fire!!!

tnt

Hey I'm going to cite an occasion because you asked me: I previously educated you on when the gm 6.0L was available on 2500/3500 trucks.

Yeah i do own a 4.6L but in 2009 they were not known as Triton anymore.

@ Fullsize

Really?? LOL!! OK

Posted by: FullSize_only | Sep 6, 2018 1:04:03 PM

LOL like that time you tried to argue that the 2016 Silverado 5.3 had an "unfair" advantage against 2016 F-150 5.0 even though the 5.3 hauled an extra 700-800 lbs up the mountain in a taller gear than the 5.0 did?

You whined and said:

"Why dont you stop wondering about percentages and possibilities and accept the advantage of a 2wd 8-speed 3.73 gear truck versus a 4wd 6-speed 3.55 gear truck."

" I mean common you know all about Fords 4wd system's parasitic losses then surely you can explain the gm discrpancy?? Or are you also going to deflect like all the tnt co-signers up until now have done.

Between what should have been compared 4wd vs 4wd there is a 368lb difference so 600lbs is what 368lbs is in gm talk? To show you who is whining here just asnwer me if the weight of the truck is an option you can choose like you can choose 2wd or 4wd."

First off, you had a complete lack of understanding of what Ford's cheap plastic 4WD system is and why Ford still uses it. The hubs are unlocked and the transfer case is disengaged, so there's almost no parasitic loss, aside from the rotational mass of the chain inside the TC. Also, you couldn't even be bothered to check the gearing of the two trucks. The 5.0 was in 2nd and had better gearing going up the mountain, hauling one less passenger, not hauling 240lbs of weight in the bed of the truck, and moving a truck that weighed 350 lbs less. Who are you to claim you're educating ANYBODY?

HD Ramking took you to school:

"Seeing those numbers, I watched both 2016 Ike Gauntlet videos. The F-150 was in 2nd gear, holding 60 MPH almost the entire time. The Silverado held 60 MPH in 3rd gear at 4500 RPM almost the entire time. So let's look at the gearing:

6R80+3.55's+2nd gear= 8.31 final drive
8L90+3.42's+3rd gear= 7.11 final drive

So the majority of time, the 5.0 had a big weight advantage, gearing advantage, and a 30 horsepower advantage on paper. The 5.3 had a slight advantage due to being 2WD, but the truck weighed much more and the truck had a slight disadvantage since it was in 3rd almost the whole time."

"The Silverado also had Nathan along for the ride with Roman and Kent. It was only Kent and Roman in the F-150 run. Between the difference in curb weight, the 240 lbs of sand bags in the bed, and the weight of Nathan who weighs at least 200 lbs, there's no question the 5.3 had to move an additional 700 to 900 lbs depending on the true curb weights."

@ other people defender

Yeah everyone was making their points regarding their favorite trucks advantage or disadvantage in that debate but ultimately all you guys failed to explain why in that same comparison the 6.2L and the 5.3L equipped trucks had the same time up the ike?? Funny you left that out of my quote you copy and pasted. Why cant you guys explain that?? i asked many times.....

But honestly who the heck compares 4wd vs 2wd trucks. How do we know the progamming of the many different powertrain controls dont change (shifting/holding/fuel curve, etc) between 4wd or 2wd?? You gm fans would be crying if it was Ford 2wd vs gm 4wd just face it. It just leaves the door wide open for debate, period.

tnt

"This is the same guy who was bashing the 5.3L, and come to find out he drives a 4.6L Unreal!!
Posted by: TNTGMC | Sep 6, 2018 1:51:32 PM"

That's your angle? Ask people what they drive so you can say "well i drive a 6.2L and i'm better than you" Yeah i drive a 4.6L and that means what? At 10 years old the 292hp and 320TQ serves me good in 2wd 6-speed with great drivabilty and no clunking lagging like the 2016 Silverado LTZ i sold.

@ Fullsize

I'm not bashing your 4.6L. Its a very durable motor. I am just stating that you were all over "bashing" the 5.3L for whatever you could come up with, and its 3 times the motor that 4.6L!

You also got put into your place bc you said the 5.3L wasn't close to the 5.0L, when in point it was better!!! Thats what I am pointing out!

Now, we have yet to see a comparison between the newly revamped 5.0L (which i like) compared to the new 5.3L. we shall see.

Anything else you want me to clarify?

Posted by: FullSize_only | Sep 6, 2018 2:14:22 PM

Probably because you constantly call the 5.3 a dog (even though it obviously blew the 5.0 out of the water) when you drive a truck with one of the weakest, most gutless, terribly engineered V8's ever made.

Anything else you want me to clarify?

Posted by: TNTGMC | Sep 6, 2018 2:30:42 PM

Did you use prep-H and that yeast infection of yours, dude, you get so bvtt-hurt that you're vagina starts to leak.

5.0L > 5.3L

@ Guy Frank

Yet the facts clearly state otherwise!

Another useless comment made by you!

@frank

"Yeah i drive a 4.6L and that means what? At 10 years old the 292hp and 320TQ serves me good in 2wd 6-speed with great drivabilty

Posted by: FullSize_only | Sep 6, 2018 2:14:22 PM

Posted by: Frank | Sep 6, 2018 2:58:17 PM"

I called the 5.3's drivability underwhelming in 2014-18 trucks, I also said that from a dead stop I know it's quick and will leave my 4.6 behind. I owned both and have first hand experience. The 4.6 is a proven motor in many applications (sure it's not perfect but what is) , you talk about the motors flaws yet have you owned one or are you just running your mouth??

I have been telling TNT to please stop working me over while looking at GM product brochures every waking moment. You know how embarassing it is to get caught by his mom? Then I have to do the unimaginable....

Also, I told TNT and GMSRGREAT (when he comes over to "work out") that the only reason GM built this package (haha!!, see what I did there?) is because of the glorious RAPTOR. So suck it!! (I did it again!)

@ fullsize

My nephew has the 4.6L in an f150 its a dog but very dependable! A lot better than the 5.4L he had. Nothing but problems.

My father has a 09 f150 with a 5.4L and its a gutless wonder. I owned 2 5.3L and I never thought they were junk, gutless, or undriveable. The 6 spd shifted OK, but the 8 spd after reprogramming was smooth as butter. It was heads above the 5.4L

Now, like I said. I can't wait for the new comparison between the updated 5.0l and 5.3L. They said its TQ management has been fixed. We shall see.

Garbage, go electric. Bollinger B1 has 20 inches of ground clearance or ten,
Bla
Bla
Bla
Bla
Posted by: Thomas | Sep 6,
/QUOTE

How much cost your Bolinger,,bucko?
And Where did you buy it?

Its hilarious watching jealous Frodnatic girlyboys whine

Duh, did you not read the whole Trucktrend/4wheeler/Motor Trend extensive test of the Raptor and the PowerWagon and the ZR2 while going over 2,200 miles on all conditions across Canada?

That's one of many independent tests.

Educate yourself.

Or at least go talk to people who own the current Raptor.

Or just talk to Ford and ask them why they are having to change their rear suspension for 2019.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, OOM, that's reality!

@TP,

We can both sit here and find flaws within your favorite brand, the bottome line here is, the raptor sells, the ZR2 Bison, well, I haven't seen one anywhere.

Have a good night!

Posted by: Thomas Paul | Sep 6, 2018 6:06:30 PM

The rear suspension is not good for a desert runner. The leaf spring stack isn't appropriate for a desert truck. A lot of guys do it cheap by pulling one of the leafs out. Others just buy a set of Deavers like it should have had.

Hopefully Ford comes up with a better 4WD setup because those IWE's are jvnk. Same with the weak steering knuckles that break off just below the upper ball joint.

I like to look at Playgirl magazines whilst sitting in the back seat of my new 2019 Ram 1500.

-CT

@tnt

I owned a 5.4L 3V years ago in a 2004 screw, I had it for roughly 2 years and i never had problems with it. I have heard people have problems with plugs breaking and with the phasers Ford used in those years but it performed well for me.
Like I have said before I think the 5.3 is a good engine in itself but I just think that gm makes it very much a slug in regular driving. To go further I will say that the drivability in the 5.3L in the 2001 Yukon I owned before was better.

I agree I think it will be interesting to see the 2019 comparison.

Breaking news, Bert Reynolds is dead at the age of 82.