Best-Selling Pickup Trucks: Third Quarter 2018

1 2018-PUTC-Sales-Header[5]A1 II

It seems the experts were wrong again. They predicted a continuing slump in sales for September on the heels of sluggish sales in July and August, and what they got was something else. Yes, car sales continue to slide, but pickup truck sales are making up for it. If you look at the seasonally adjusted annualized sales rate for the month, September is doing quite well, even when compared to September 2017, which was an exceptionally strong month due in large part to the South recovering from Hurricane Harvey.

Of note for September and the third quarter: Ram is benefiting from a surge in sales of the all-new half-ton 2019 Ram 1500; it outsold the Chevrolet Silverado by almost 10,000 units. Ram, Chevy and GMC have all-new half tons that are important to parent companies Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (Ram) and GM (Chevy and GMC). Let's face it, if Ford, GM and FCA weren't selling hundreds of thousands of pickup trucks (many with five-figure profit margins), there wouldn't be much money to subsidize less-profitable models.

Additionally, the Toyota Tacoma had another best-selling month; it sold almost as many trucks for Q3 as the other mid-size competitors combined. Let that sink in. All we can say is that the new 2019 Ford Ranger better be good.

Finally, when looking at the pickup truck class as a whole, Q3 was pretty good for most pickups except for the Silverado, GMC Sierra, Honda Ridgeline and Nissan Frontier. We'll keep a close eye on those four as we head into the big year-end selling season, when dealerships can get aggressive with incentives to hit target sales quotas. So far, pickup truck sales are up almost 5 percent for 2018 over 2017, and we've got several interesting new trucks headed our way that could make competition even more interesting in the mid-size, half-ton and heavy-duty classes. More to come.

Manufacturer image

Q3 2018 PUTC Sales

Comments

Ford number one second to none!!! Poor garbage motors HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Poor Garbage Motors got out sold by just one line of Trucks The F-Series. Hey and another big laugh HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 😭😭😭😭😭😭.

And let the Dogs Bark!!!!!

Full Size Total: 1756.8k
Mid Size Total: 396.4k
Total: 2153.2k

Mid Size % of Total: 18.4%
Full Size % of Total: 81.6%

OK so Mid Size still really hasn't put a dent into the overall market, but the growth rate of midsize is still quite good for a potential strategic shift of midsize becoming the new fullsize.

Ram is beating Chevy. And this doesn't look to be like random monthly spikes like before but in a whole quarter. Kudos to FCA but GM should be very worried as their new trucks are just uninspiring.

GMC GOT SPANKED BY THE TACO!!!!

GM outsold Ford for the quarter and year to date. No surprises.

Papaspin- great job trying to convince yourself that gm has anything on Ford- looks like the 41 years straight will be 41 more at this rate, and thats without adding in the Ranger.

Also great job Ram, so nice to see you put a hurtin on the Silverado. even though the Chevy tried to look just like the new Ram on the front end, it just can't measure up . Great job. Silverado on a sinking ship.......

Really Papa? I'm glad you are happy that For full size outsold GM full size by 100K units. That is pathetic. Come on GM, do something new to catch up to Ford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MEH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No question about it, Ram is a much more refined truck then the Silverado, it should sell more. Period.

Ford is looking at their usual 900K+ per year in Truck Sales, another day at the office.

@ Nitro

What Ranger? I don't see a Ranger in the show rooms! You mean the all new Taurus truck! Oh ya that one, is supposedly coming but still not here. But hey, you got great pictures to look at and loathe over!

Overall, Great job Ram selling your trucks. Heck with $10K plus off a brand new model, I can see why people are running to show rooms.

@ Nitro

Not a great quarter for the GM full size. Apparently they are supply constrained on popular models until the new trucks hit the lot fully.

I guess it was a good excuse for Ram and Ford when they rolled out the new trucks so I guess we will have to wait and see what the 4th quarter looks like.

Ford officially ended it's streak of 16 months of sales increases with a 9% drop in pickup trucks.

It will be interesting to see the quarterly reports for Ford and GM considering only 30k difference in truck sales between them.

Anyone wanna bet who is more profitable?

All the predictions of the GM twins knocking off the Taco, so wrong. They will never really compete with the Taco.

Posted by: Real Man | Oct 2, 2018 2:24:35 PM

Actually,

Most of the descrepancy appears to be in September where Ram had a huge month and Silverado was down big.

So it may be another monthly aberration at this point.

Posted by: Gom | Oct 2, 2018 3:04:13 PM

I don't see those numbers changing much until more mid-size players show up. I believe than it won't be as much about growth but fighting over what's currently available for sales. I don't see a ton of growth in that area once the Ranger die-hards get their truck.

Ya'll can argue who is best all day long, the fact is I am glad I helped Ram put the beat down on Chevy.

-CT

@crunchtime

break out the calculator before you run your mouth dude! GM is outselling RAM two to one!

Ram has piles of trucks to sell. They tried to hold the line on pricing for a while but when inventories started piling up and sales were slow, many dealers opened the floodgates. The 2019 Ram already has incentives of up to $11k on them. My dealer is offering $11k off and one guy got that much knocked off, PLUS 0% for 72 months. That's the only way Ram is able to keep up with the other two truck manufacturers. Not exactly the best way to do business.

GM seems to be limited on inventory. The 2018's are sold down quite a bit and the 2019's are limited in availability. Production at the Indiana plant was set back due to a shortage of windshields.

@crunchtime

Posted by: papajim | Oct 2, 2018 3:14:41 PM

@POPTART

RAM outsold Chevy this month, is what he's referring too.

Can you read?

Oh, no you can't just cry and moan.

Is the comment section a bunch of 12 year olds? My God some people need to grow up.

FCA sold 2,415 more vehicles than Ford this month and the Ford fan boys think trucks are all that counts. Ford better wake up or it will be Mahindra/Ford.

@crunchtime

Posted by: papajim | Oct 2, 2018 3:14:41 PM

@POPTART

RAM outsold Chevy this month, is what he's referring too.

Can you read?

Oh, no you can't just cry and moan.

Posted by: Frank | Oct 2, 2018 3:27:58 PM

GM doesn't release monthly sales figures.

Source?

Or just stop posting whatever pops into your head.

Posted by: Jake D | Oct 2, 2018 3:50:29 PM

FYI,

You're on a Truck Site buddy.

LOVE
FORD!

I want a manual transmission, manual windows, 4x4, V8, leather seats, and an 8 foot bed.

If I can get that with at least 2000lbs payload and a crew cab (thinking about regular cab....), then it would be a sell for me.

GM doesn't release monthly sales figures.

Source?

Or just stop posting whatever pops into your head.

Posted by: andrwken | Oct 2, 2018 3:55:35 PM

Ram outsold Chevy in Q3, you happy now.

That sounds really Bad!!! Getting outsold Quarterly, they should've stayed monthly.

Terrible.

Come on Chevy give me the "Work Truck" of my dreams!

@Frank

I'll try to simplify it for you. RAM sold 375k trucks year to date. That means "this year."

GM sold twice that many. You can check with me any time you need help with a basic math question. I'm not very good at math but I'll try to be helpful.

Don’t cry because Ford is in trouble Frank. They have been following GM for years and now FCA has jumped in front. Maybe you will be able to buy a Mahindra truck.

For all you illiterate Ford fans, I totaled up 706,755 pick-up sold by GM year to date.

As I stated several days ago, GM builds trucks, Ford builds trucks, GM sells more trucks. Any questions?

I don't know about you guys but every time I see a Colorado or Canyon, it looks oddly disproportioned... The body is narrow and tall. Reminds me of the '04 F150 era when it became a slab side truck.

@Frank

Posted by: papajim | Oct 2, 2018 4:05:18 PM

The comparison is solely with Chevrolet, err SHAVEYOURLEGS.......

and not GM. I didn't know the Midsize has the same capability has a half-ton.

Half-Ton RAM > Half-Ton Chevy in QTR 3.

I DON'T F'KEN CARE ABOUT GM, it's a BRAND by BRAND.

You DOLTS

Customers love high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy. Ford F-Series topped 70K trucks for the seventh straight month, w/75,092 pickups sold inSeptember. 3X times this year, F-Series has sold above the 80K-truck mark. No other pickuphas touched 60K trucks sold in a month pic.twitter.com/bkT9vEr7oT Mike Levine (@mrlevine) October 2, 2018

GM sold 706.7K trucks.
706.7k/375.6k=1.88x. Not quite twice.

@Frank

I hope this example helps. Bill walks into a RAM dealer and buys a truck. Joe walks into a Chevy dealer and buys a truck. Roger walks into a GMC dealership and buys a truck.

RAM one truck
GM two trucks

wonder what Ram sales will be when they stop selling the better looking old Ram

if you add the GM full and mid size for the third quarter the total is only 275 more than the F-series. If this trend continues Ford will not need the Ranger to sell more trucks than GM. I remember when the Silverado and Sierra was more than the F-series.

@papajim

I hope this example helps. Bill walks into a Chevy dealer and buys a truck. Joe walks into a RAM dealer and buys a truck. Roger walks into a RAM dealership and buys a truck.

RAM one truck outsold one truck Silverado

Posted by: papajim | Oct 2, 2018 4:42:06

FIXED IT FOR YOU DUM DUM

You're discussing and comparing a Vehicle that's not in this discussion, for once, papajim, can you say what happened with RAM vs Chevy for Q3

Who sold more trucks in Q3 Ram or Chevy? Just checking your stupidity.

Look at the colors in the chart if you can not comprehend.

You're terrible man

GM needs an engine to compete with the Ecoboost. I believe GM is seen as lagging behind in engine tech.

The facts are GM's market share of of full size trucks continues to erode. Is this a part of GM's plan or lack of interest in GM trucks.

September 2018
Ford F-Series 75,092 -8.8%
Ram 51,856 +10%
Chevrolet Silverado 44,443 quarter average
GMC Sierra 17,122 quarter average
Toyota Tundra 11,454 +2.6%
Nissan Titan 5,907 +56.6%

FCA sold more vehicles in September, than Ford.
Ford and GM is going down. FCA is in great shape. Thank you Sergio.

This could be the reason GM went quarterly reports.

This could be the reason GM went quarterly reports.
Posted by: just the truth | Oct 2, 2018

@JTT

GM has already said they did it because they felt bad about hurting Ford shareholders feelings 12x per year. They figured it would be a lot nicer just to do it 4x per...

@ FIF

Gm has a 6.2L and it beats it in all performance categories

Thanks!

Ford needs a V8 to compete with the efficiency, durability, and reliability of GMs V8s!

And as usual all year long GM is still number one in pickup sales even with very little stock of crew cab trucks which make up about 70% of sales.

@ Chingon…..

I see you are being a naughty boy again!!! You'd better behave or I will have to give you a spanking tonight!!!! hehehehe

Posted by: Dave Z | Oct 2, 2018 4:33:25 PM

I bet the strength of the 2018 Silverado's bed is greater than the current gen F150's.

I think the Durabed for 2019 Silverado will be MUCH stronger.

Ford is higher selling per brand, but GM full size trucks are better performing in HP with the 6.2 V8 and fuel efficiency with the 5.3 even though the aluminum Ford truck is lighter.

I guess I have to get custom upholstery from a shop to get the leather seats I want....