Chevrolet Spells It Out: 2019 Colorado Gets New Grille Option

IMG_2906 copy II

When we had our first chance to drive the all-new 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and see the full lineup of trim levels, the first thing that caught our eye were the grilles of the more commercial-oriented trims. The Work Truck, Custom and Custom Trail Boss trims sported Chevrolet in all capital letters across the grille, ditching the classic bow-tie badge.

Sure, this might look like Chevy is taking a page from the Toyota or Ford playbooks, both of which use capital block lettering on the grille on select performance models: Toyota's TRD Pro series and Ford's F-150 Raptor. But we have to say, this design cue looks really good on the Silverado, too.

So maybe it shouldn't surprise us that the 2019 mid-size Colorado will get the same treatment, but as an accessory option. Buyers who fork over $475 can have Chevrolet spelled out across the grille instead of the bow tie, making their truck look a little different.

To date, only the 2019 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Bison will offer this grille as standard, but if a sizable number of people order the new grille for their mid-size Colorado, you can bet you'll see it standard on that wave of special editions that are likely headed our way in the coming year.

Cars.com photos by Mark Williams (2); Evan Sears; manufacturer

IMG_2905A II

01-chevrolet-silverado-custom-2019

2019-Chevrolet-Colorado-ZR2-Bison-003 copy II

Comments

I have a life, so I don't care if a trucks grill is spelled out or not.
But that won't stop Papa from finding something important to comment about this.

Looks redonkadonk.

@Ron--Agree, I have a life too. I would rather save the $475. I might pay extra to have a plain grill with no emblem or names. I just want a good truck ar a reasonable price regardless of brand.

FYI: This grill was standard on the 2018 Centinnial Addition Colorado, a few Colorado owners have ordered the grill to put in their 2015-19 Colorados.
In order for that grill to fit a ZR2, the person would have to buy the AEV supplied bumper that comes on the Bison.

Part number is : 84431359

you are welcome

The FAKE Jeff.

I have a life
Posted by: Ron | Oct 7, 2018

No sh*t

The Colorado is due for an update, they have not done anything to it since it came out. GM is going to let it get stale like it did the S10.

Copying Toyota again...

Copying Toyota again...
Posted by: oxi | Oct 7, 2018

@Oxi

did you ever see a Tacoma diesel?

All of them are copying Ford. May as well, it's not a bad look.

Fact.

I prefer the look of the Canyon, it is more truck like. The Colorado looks more SUV from front. The Canyon is the best looking mid size, including new Ranger. The Ranger looks a lot like the Colorado, more SUV than Truck.

Yuck!!! Shorter names look better.. this looks too much like trying to cram a sentence in the grille.

All of them are copying Ford.
Posted by: Dudlydooright | Oct 7, 2018

@dudly

Copying Ford??? Can we be serious for a second?

This is an article about a midsize truck. Ford has not sold a new midsize in the US since 2011-2012 or so.

If all goes according to plan Ford will introduce a midsize in 2019. Still waiting.

@papajim--GM stopped selling the Colorado in 2012 and didn't bring it back til about 2015. They are all copying Toyota I hate to tell you.

Not a fan of the big block lettering, especially on the grille. In fact I would pay extra to not have it or buy an aftermarket grille and swap.

Posted by: Chingon | Oct 7, 2018 11:26:20 AM

You mean like 4x4? Turbo Diesel? solid box frame? Engine braking? Big Rig Styling?

You are drunk on the koolaid bud. lol

If i needed a small truck the ZR2 would be my pic for sure. Awesome little truck.

Reminds me of Ford or Chevrolet on windshields and back windows. Cheesy.

the zr2 is a fantastic off road truck, but its on pavement handling and ride that makes it a truly great truck.

Less is better when it comes to grills. I would not pay extra for this grill. I would just as soon have no name or emblem but if I have to live with either I would take the emblem--the emblem takes up less room on the grill.

The all knowing Jeff has spoken! He wouldn't spend money on a grille yet his truck is 20 years old. Way to tell em Jeff!

He wouldn't spend $40 on a grille but he'll spend $2500 fixing an interior rust spot that ibody will see on a 20 year old truck. Good to know.

I a green with papajim. Why not spend $40 on a grille if you're going to blow $2k fixing up a 20 year old truck. Live a little.

Good Lord is that white Silverado W/T ever hideous. Hands down the nastiest looking 1/2 ton on the market

I like the white truck. It gets mine and papajim's juices flowing.

That's hot

I'd take that white truck over any Fire-150!

I wish Frank's grille looked this good. I am sick of his F250 shooting spark plugs.

I like the white truck. It gets mine and papajim's juices flowing.
Posted by: TNTchevy | Oct 7, 2018

@the FAKE TnT

Speak for yourself! I will not own another WHITE pickup. My 2010 Ranger had that "fleet-white" Ford paint job, and the truck was such an annoyance (the trans, actually) that I still break out in a rash whenever I think about white paint.

The love boat that I bought after the Ranger has GM's "Silver Birch" tint and it's perfect. Never thought I'd like anything with a tan-looking paint job but it's grown on my. Buy a Chevy, scrap a Ford.

Chevy comes in late, actually 3rd to this party trend.

Not unusual for them.

Its a styling cue best reserved for shorter names (six numerals/digits or less) and special editions.

All those confused Chevy owners suddenly learning the end of Swede's name their company is named for is "rolet". Their "minds" blown and now having to wrestle with a visible silent T and pronouncing an A at the end when you can clearly see there isn't one. Everyone cut them some slack its hard going bankrupt, settling for 2nd, using foreign grammar across your grille and usually being tardy to the party.

@Clint

Chevy had a midsize in the market almost five years ago. RAM and Ford still don't. Tardy?

Really?

Ford being late was good for GM. That said the first day of Ranger sales Ford can claim the best selling line of trucks.

@ papajim,

Toyota has plenty of diesel small trucks in overseas markets, well before any Colorado or S-10.

In fact where was the S-10 when Toyota was making small trucks themselves since 1963?

Hint, it took until the mid 1980's before GM had the courage to make their own small trucks from their master Isuzu!

Give it a break!

Posted by: uh huh | Oct 7, 2018 5:05:50 PM

The longer name is not a problem for the higher educated more refined clientele.

Old Chevrolet trucks used to have the name across the grille. Look at 1969-1970.

The whole front end on the '19 is awful looking! Those air curtains especially.

Biggest waste of $475 I've ever seen. But hey do what one wants with their hard earned money. No added value whatsoever except someone will find value in the chance at being different. Starving for attention. New low for adding perceived value. I shouldn't be amazed since so many put so much emphasis on what the front end looks like even if it doesn't add arrow dynamic effects or anything else. Form fit function.

WOW!! Game changer!! Look how that flows with the plastic bumper cover!! OMG I'm a little wet right now. Papa and I are gonna look up stock prices and post back in 5 minutes!! WOOOHOOO

Nobody with eyeballs can look at that White truck and say it is a nice looking truck. The blue Colorado is equally as cheesy. Not sure how but, the Bison edition pulls it off. Maybe the off road bumper?

wow those are some seriously ugly trucks

It look better this way 100% better,,

Posted by: TNTGMC | Oct 7, 2018 7:21:47 PM

I thought it was the Equinox inspired front end design that made it great.

Posted by: Jim | Oct 7, 2018 12:14:04 PM

Not true. This new grille is going to help Chevy sell more than Toyota. Plus Equinox was updated so we'll reach into the parts bin and powder this baby face front end some more.

wow those are some seriously ugly trucks
Posted by: Ford Rules GM Drools | Oct 9, 2018

Wow. That's easy for you to say. Your brand doesn't even have a midsize truck. All we get from Dearborn is promises.

All these yearses daddydoe tolds me it wus spelled CHEVROLAE after the French American civil war. Dang daddy! I sure feels stupid nowe.

Actually Chevrolet was a Swiss race car driver, Louis Chevrolet.

On November 3, 1911, Swiss race car driver and automotive engineer Louis Chevrolet co-founded the Chevrolet Motor Company in Detroit with William C. Durant and investment partners William Little (maker of the Little automobile), former Buick owner James H. Whiting, [6] Dr. Edwin R. Campbell (son-in-law of Durant) and in 1912 R. S. McLaughlin CEO of General Motors in Canada.

Durant was cast out from the management of General Motors in 1910, a company which he had founded in 1908. In 1904 he had taken over the Flint Wagon Works and Buick Motor Company of Flint, Michigan. He also incorporated the Mason and Little companies. As head of Buick, Durant had hired Louis Chevrolet to drive Buicks in promotional races.[7] Durant planned to use Chevrolet's reputation as a racer as the foundation for his new automobile company. The first factory location was in Flint, Michigan at the corner of Wilcox and Kearsley Street, now known as "Chevy Commons" at coordinates 43.0086339°N 83.7099114°W, along the Flint River, across the street from Kettering University.

Henry Ford offered to buy Chevrolet from Durant and Durant counter offered with a million dollars. Ford rejected. Ford had the million and in retrospect should have paid the million dollars and put a non-compete clause in. Durant still might have rejected the offer.

"It looks ugly and it doesn’t go with bar grill, now if we’re talking about ford or ram I prefer the Ford one over this two. I always thought that FIAT TRUCK AND GARBAGE MOTORS TRUCK ARE FOLLOWERS. Ford always comes out with something new with out following anybody why? Because is the best and the best never rest." ---- Posted by: Chingon

Ford followed Ram into the Fake Big Rig look. So you can't say Ford is all THAT much of a leader. They also seem the last one to come away from that Fake Big Rig look, too.

Me? I'm quite happy with the Z71 I bought. I'll tell you now that if it had a grill covered with chrome, I would have had every bit covered either in black or made the bar body-colored (Pacific Blue) or both.