Which Pickups Depreciate the Least?

17chevrolet_silverado-2500-diesel_so_ac_05jpg_33153190115_o

There's plenty of good news for dealers selling new full-size pickups trucks, but what about customers who want to buy a pickup that won't depreciate quickly over five years? What are their best bets?

The latest depreciation study conducted by automotive analyst iSeeCars.com provides some answers. The study looked at all vehicles and revealed that in terms of five-year depreciation values, it does not make sense to purchase a new electric vehicle or luxury import sedan; those vehicles depreciated in value by roughly 70 percent over five years. However, buyers considering a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (27.3 percent after five years) or just about any heavy-duty pickup truck will do much better, since they depreciate less than other vehicles. And, as you might have guessed, Toyota pickups ranked well.

The study analyzed more than 3.6 million model-year 2013 vehicles sold in 2013 and more than 750,000 model-year 2013 used vehicles sold between January and September 2018. Only models for which depreciation was accurate within plus or minus 0.5 percentage points were used in the final analysis. Used-car prices from 2018 were inflation-corrected by 7 percent to 2013 dollars. Vehicles with outlier pricing were removed.

So how did pickups do? Listed below are the top nine mid-size and half-ton trucks that depreciated the least after five years.

Light-duty Pickups: Average Depreciation

1. Toyota Tacoma, 29.5 percent
  2. Toyota Tundra, 37.1
  3. Honda Ridgeline, 37.2
  4. Nissan Frontier, 37.8
  5. Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 39.7
  6. GMC Sierra 1500, 39.9
  7. Ram 1500, 42.7
  8. Ford F-150, 44.1
  9. Nissan Titan, 44.7

Three-quarter-ton and one-ton pickup trucks hold their value even better after five years, in every case well above the truck industry average of 40.8 percent. Here's a full list of how the top 16 pickup trucks with the least amount of depreciation stacked up:

All Pickups: Average Depreciation

13. GMC Sierra 1500, 39.9
  14. Ram 1500, 42.7
  15. Ford F-150, 44.1
  16. Nissan Titan, 44.7

Cars.com photos by Angela Conners

Tacoma Beauty 1 II

Comments

A RAM depreciates less than an F-150??? Wow, didn't expect that.

Kinda surprising to what I expected.

Now I will yield to the paid protesters that are going to start flinging poo.

You have to wonder how depreciation is calculated. Does the study compare the used-car price to the MSRP, or to the price the original owner actually paid?

Without that little piece of info, the companies that have over-the-top MSRP pricing (GM,Ford,RAM) will compare poorly to the Asian makers who tend to have less variation between their MSRP pricing and price paid "on the street"

I don't think anyone should be surprised by the Tacoma's numbers. But yes, I would have assumed the F150 fared better than it did.

I think it's price paid papajim. If not the ram would fair way worse . I don't see a truck offering 10k off on a brand new model being able to compete otherwise

Great job Toyota! Wow, the Tacoma I am not surprised, but the Tundra shocked me. GM is also up there, Awesome

In my part of the world down south, a Tacoma is an auction dream! The money rolls when they come through! A Silverado is usually next most desired as far generating used car lot excitement. The prices seem to level out for others vehicles then. I base this off our business, we move vehicles for used dealers some and they all seem to love scoring a Tacoma or Silverado at auction.

I think it's price paid papajim. ..Posted by: Rowdy Douillard

@Rowdy

That would be best but I don't know where they would get reliable data to use for that comparison. I know that banks and credit unions pay dearly for that sort of data that they use for their corporate customers, and to process car loans.

There are two specific areas of mark-up that dealers have
1. markup on base models
2. markup on the pricey option packages--which is higher

The base mark-up has to be competitive and it has to offer the dealers enough gross profit to cover their expenses. The fat mark-ups on option packages let's dealers swing some really big discounts if it's needed to close the deal.

For a website like iSeeCars.com to process all this is above my pay grade but I know that it's complicated and it took the retail auto business many years to develop pricing that works for a huge variety of dealers and their unique cost structures (whether their in New York City or a little town in Kansas).

This list looks close to what I would have expected, with the only variances being I would have thought that F-series would have done a little bit better than they did, and I would have thought that the Ram would have done a little bit worse than they did.

I bought a new Silverado 2500 Diesel in 2007 for $42,500 and traded it in 2014 and got $35,000 for it...I was astonished at the trade in value...I paid pretty close to the supposed vehicle cost for the new vehicle as well, so it wasn't like they made up the difference on the other end.

Edit: I paid pretty close to supposed dealer cost for my new vehicle in 2014.

They're basing if off of MSRP. Fake news.

With the F-150, they sell so many that there is usually a surplus of used ones.

The F-150 depreciation hit must be a result of those high maintenance ecobust engines and overall crappy build quality.

I paid pretty close to the supposed vehicle cost for the new vehicle...Posted by: Texas1836 | Oct 12, 2018

@Texas1836

The above statement is ridiculous.

How in HELL do you know what dealer cost was unless the dealer showed you what he paid. Car dealers religiously avoid revealing their cost to customers.

DO NOT confuse so called "Invoice" pricing with actual dealer cost. There's zero chance the dealer showed you his actual cost, unless the guy is your brother in law or your dad.

Papajim, always enjoy your commentary. I did use the word "supposed" didn't I? I am smart enough to realize that I don't know what the real dealer cost is. I don't recall which source I used for the invoice cost, but that does not include holdback, usually around 3%, plus any incentives that the MFR pays back to the dealer. In my case, I bought a brand new model, that was not even available yet in my area, they had to ship it in from Montana, so I doubt there was any factory incentive, but there certainly was holdback.

@Texas1836--Ignore papajim today. He got up on the wrong side of the bed. The market for cars has been downhill. Even the worst depreciating trucks still maintain a good portion of their value. I would disagree about Toyota being a better value used than new especially a late model. It is not much more to buy a new Tacoma than one a couple of years old and you get the warranty on the new one. I tend to buy new anyway because I tend to keep my vehicles a long time. That is not to say I would never buy a used vehicle but my experience has been for not much more for a new truck than a used one which tend to have a lot of miles on them.

Papajim sure knows how to go off the rails on somebody for no good reason at all. He'll act like a considerate poster and then out of nowhere start putting you down and insulting your intelligence just because you have a different point of view.

the FAKE Beebe

Posted by: Beebe | Oct 12, 2018 1:41:33 PM

yep then he follows up with "the FAKE whoever" he's a control freak

PELOSIJIM

The Real BeBee spoke and wants you to get off this website.

Papajim a control free?
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Couldn't be.

As for this article:
The results of this article are exactly as I would have guessed.
The only Fords that haven't been H E double hockey sticks for me are ones with straight six engines. And they are few. And I have had a fleet of vehicles for many decades.

Posted by: Beebe | Oct 12, 2018 1:41:33 PM

Pretty much a coward, just like a wannabe leader I know of.....straight idiocy.

Frank, it was so nice of you to drop by my and Chingon's love nest last night. *giggles*

Surprised a little by the F-150, but the Tacoma right up there....nuff' said.

it does not make sense to purchase a new electric vehicle or luxury import sedan; those vehicles depreciated in value..
/QUOTE

Someones hating on Tesla again..LOL..
Fyi Even the wrecked or flooded ones go for pretty high price as the parts are worth lots of $$
See RichRebuilds channel on YT

Used cars and trucks cost depends mostly on what SHAPE are they in.!
Well maintained truck will always sell better then beat up one..

Used cars and trucks cost depends mostly on what SHAPE are they in.!
Well maintained truck will always sell better then beat up one..

Posted by: Chevrolet builds a better way to see the USA | Oct 12, 2018 5:39:27 PM

Them Chubbies don't get used much in Construction Industries.

That Honda Ridgeline does pretty well holding it's value.
I'm not surprisedby that but Papa jim didn't bash the Ridgeline.
It's nothing but a car he says a crossover.
Many of the pickup trucks today are used as the family car.
Even many years ago the pickup truck was used as family use vehicle.

I think this information is irrelevant unless they also split it by age of the vehicles, and the different generations as well. My 75 F100, adjusted for inflation, is more or less worth the same as it was brand new. "More or less" is a hell of a lot better then today's trucks regardless of brand.

How much will that $70k Ram be 5 years down the road, or 10 or 20?

papajim selling cars back in the day

the Australian honda is FAKE

"Them Chubbies don't get used much in Construction Industries"

How often are you at construction sites? Or are you just looking at the pictures in Ford brochures?

Supply and demand. The most selling models will depreciate more than the lower selling models due to used availability 5 years down the road. The two exceptions are the Titan (which doesn't sell and has terrible resale) and the Tacoma which sells tons, but has a cult following.

Them Chubbies don't get used much in Construction Industries.
Posted by: Frank | Oct 12, 2018 5:54:30 PM

Your reality is entirely based off of Ford F-series commercials. Can you say "hook, line, and sinker"? I bet you believe Ford when they claim that the aluminum bodies are "military-grade" and tougher than the steel bodies. Funny, I'm watching Gold Rush and the only guys that know what they're doing in the mining pits are driving GM trucks. The only one that drives Fords is the whiny kid named Parker and he doesn't keep a truck for more than one season.

Well if you get a bigger rebate at purchase then a faster depreciating truck is mute. I bought a 2014 Ram for 35,000 and sold it 4 1/2 years later and got 22,000. I think I made out very well for a 4 1/2 year old truck with over 55,000 miles. Toyota does not give big discounts on like 10-15K off like other brands.

But yes, I would have assumed the F150 fared better than it did.

Posted by: MLS956

Really? The F-150 almost never makes the KBB top ten resale value list. It made the list in 2015 but hasn't since. I know it varies by region but in my area F-150 resale values are at least 10% lower than than equivalent trucks from their competitors. Ford truck sales are below average here. Judging by the used F-150 listings, the 5.0-powered trucks seem to fair slightly better than the 3.5EB-powered trucks and the 2.7EB trucks seem to do the worst.

Fake News.

#7 out of all vehicles, not just pickups.

Resale Value
at 36 months: 58.7%
at 60 months: 49.6%
The Ford F-150 is the country's best-selling vehicle, a resale value standout and has been named our Pickup Truck Best Buy four years in a row.

PS I don't see Ram on there.

Oh so the F-150 made the top ten twice in the last decade. Game changing lol. It hasn't made the top full-size truck resale list once as far back as I bothered looking.

I see Ford is still pounding sand with their "Military grade aluminum" dogma. They managed to fool a lot of people.

If these are 5 years old, they ain't the alum ones. Educate yourself.

@FFFE

it's amazing what some people will pay for old rusty metal these days. Does it still have the vinyl seat covers and shag carpet?

being in the business we all have known this for years. however i dont get the Tundra numbers. they are higher than that. maybe other markets are lower or possibly the overall with work trucks bring it down because the usual Tundra sells for higher than that depreciation.

**My 75 F100, adjusted for inflation, is more or less worth the same as it was brand new---Posted by FormerFordFanboyToTheExtreme

@FFFE

Posted by: papajim | Oct 13, 2018 9:48:26 AM**

No and yes. Rust free on the body, only slight surface rust underneath and corners where it wasn't repainted. Paid 5k for mine, though I could probably sell it for 7 to 8 if I wanted to. 77k miles at time of purchase. 360Fe 4x4 np435. Only thing I don't care for are the front drum brakes.

@FFFE

I love the old Ford/Edsel (FE) engines. I owned a Mercury with a 390 when I was young. Put many miles on it. Strong. A beautiful design

Some of you act all surprised. Browsing the local ads of used trucks, this list looks pretty spot on to me.

KBB and this report, nothing should be alarming when you see the Toyota Tacoma #1 overall.

Good job Toyota!

I own two Tacoma's!

@FFFE

Posted by: papajim | Oct 13, 2018 9:48:26 AM**

Older pickups with good bodies go for some really high prices. Many of the old muscle cars and classics have gotten so expensive that many who want to get a classic old vehicle have been buying old pickups. For the most part you can still get an old pickup from the 60's and 70's for much less than a car from the same period and they are usually easier to maintain. It wasn't until recently that trucks have become more expensive and more complex.

i bought a used 2008 F350 crew cab 4x4 lariat for $42 k in 2009 and sold it for $26.5 k in 2017. i was very happy with the deal. the guy i sold it to was a used car guy too, so he must have even more margin on it to be able to make money on the deal. cnd funds.