Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD Race Car Hauler Debuts at SEMA

Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD Race Car Hauler Debuts at SEMA

GM has brought two mildly customized 2011 heavy-duty pickups to this year's SEMA Show, including the one-ton Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD Race Car Hauler.

Chevy says the crew-cab dual-rear-wheel Race Car Hauler was designed for effortless towing and hauling, and with a maximum conventional trailering rating of 17,000 pounds, we believe it. The Silverado is pulling a lightweight 1958 Corvette BP class racer on an open trailer.

"A Chevy racecar being towed by a new Silverado HD truck is a combination any enthusiast would love to call his own," said Paul Arnone, the lead designer. "The 2011 Silverado 3500 HD can tow up to 21,700 pounds, so a racecar on an open trailer is no sweat for this truck."


The black exterior features custom racing graphics, a custom grille insert, chrome hood louvers, 17-inch bright wheels, 6-inch chrome oval assist steps, a full-width toolbox cargo management system, body-colored splash guards, chrome fuel door and trailering mirrors.

The interior has ebony leather seating with color stitching and piping, custom trim finished in piano black, dual DVD screens in the headrests with wireless headphones, OnStar navigation radio and Autonet Mobile Wi-Fi.

There are no powertrain modifications to the Chevy HD's 6.6-liter LML Duramax diesel that's rated at 397 horsepower and 765 pounds-feet of torque.



Clean truck. Personally, I'd remove the decals, leave everything else on, and it's good to go.

I like this truck much better than the ugly white tow rig with big rig wheels.
The Corvette is cool.
How about a close up picture of the toolbox management system in the back?

Too boring.

What a beautiful truck and car. Those new GM HD Trucks are just awesome.

Not much went into styling these trucks, just a 90 degree square.
No style in it to me. Just another old 3-box design.

"GM has brought two mildly customized 2011 heavy-duty pickups to this year's SEMA Show."

Mildlycustomized. You can say that again.

Wonder when we will see something larger from GM.......

Mike Levine,
When will GM build a bigger Duramax, like maybe a 6.9L Duramax would be nice that puts out 425-450 horsepower and 845-880 Torque.

Tyler, ever driven the 2011 Duramax? I honestly don't know how you could drive it and think "I really need more power!"

SEMA has alot of junk this year maybe it get better as the week goes on?

When I said larger, I was thinking about a larger truck, not a larger engine. 4500?

takes a dually to tow a corvette?

it really doesnt look that custom at all

@ Even - they did customize the truck. Notice that it has REAL chrome rims instead of chrome plastic hubcaps.


I don't think a 6.9 Duramax is too far off... GM made it seem like they have made the 6.6 as powerful as it can go...I think GM will stick with the LMM for another two or so years and then release an all new diesel which I think will be this 6.9 U-max we have all heard about...

either way, enjoy the LMM, its an amazing engine with an even more amazing tranny behind it.. what else more do you need?

i agree with you but GM needs a more powerful engine to shut ford up

can chevy even afford to redesign the duramax? i thought they had to pay taxpayers back.

Chevy and GMC both own the Duramax. So technically GM owns the Duramax. Oh and by the way doesn't Ford have to pay back there Bosch Injector bill to General Motors for allowing them to use them in there engine.

@ Chris - duh!
GM Corp. is the parent corporation.
Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra are brands or divisions.They do not own Duramax.

GMC does not own Bosch quote" Since 1964, 92 percent of the company has been owned by the Robert Bosch Foundation (the Bosch family owns the remaining 8 percent)".

you are right on the ownership of the Injectors made by Bosch but last time i knew GM has the rights to the injectors not ford, so in a way ford is paying GM cause they have the rights to them and asked Bosch first if they could use them in the Duramax and there is a patent on all of that so therefore ford would have to pay GM to use the injectors in the powerstroke engine which basically is a Duramax cause they look just alike.

I love sand boxes.

I doubt that money would go diredtly to GM from Ford.
If GM owns the patent then Bosch licences the rights to build the injectors from GM. Bosch would therefore have the legal rights to sell the injectors to anyone willing to buy them.

My understanding is that it is in fact the other way around. Bosch holds the patent to common rail fuel injection systems used in the Duramax and has also sold systems to Dodge or should I say Cummins. Bosch being an expert in the field could also be accessed by Ford with their new diesel.

Correct me if I'm wrong. ( I won't ask you or your brother to list assets. LOL)

The comments to this entry are closed.