Video: 2014 Chevy Silverado Walk-Around

2014 Chevy Video Shoot II

Although it may not look like it at first glance, the new Silverado has a lot of new and improved technology and design under the hood and skin of the truck. We heard a lot of people say the Chevy exterior didn't go far enough but the GMC look, especially on the All Terrain, is a strong statement.

We had the chance yesterday to duck out of all the "big reveal" festivities and get some time with an Extended Cab LTZ and our video crew. We tried to hit all the high points but still wish we had been able to get the truck on a lift to show you a few new interesting details. We saw the some interesting routing details while on our back, as well as a few accommodations to directing and diffusing more wind that we've never seen on a truck before.

We'll try to get more images and angles of both trucks in front of you as soon as possible, either in upcoming photo galleries or on our Facebook page.

For now, here a quick look at what we saw.

Comments

For the guys who say it's the same as the last model.
Watch the video before posting. They point out the main differences. Then there are the obvious ones like the body line that ties the flaired finders together and flows around the front fasia. Exposed rocker panel. All new config. for the Extended Cab as seen on Ram.
You could put photos side by side and compare, but it may be too much trouble for the myopic mind and I dont think you're that interested in the first place.

Or it could be that ignorance is your best armor against the new (your brand here) KILLER?

I dont see the bumper step on the Sierra. Could it be optional? Hope so.

Ok, now after looking at all the pictures so far, I like the truck overall, but the front is just well to big and square, on my 2011, there is a small taper down to the front, and the hood is higher by a bit at the bottom of the windshield than at the grill, it is realy noticable when you look at the two trucks side by side, and I like the old style front end better, but the sides are fine, and the interior is nice also, but I am still wondering if this is the interior of all models or just LT and above, like on the present trucks all models have the same from W/T to LT, then you have the interior like in the Avalanche and Tahoe/Sub., and I have nothing against the one I have now, but there is a lot of plastic, but this is a truck after all, maybe the new front ends style will grow on me, or look better in real, and not in pictures. The truck on the whole though, is very nice, and Chevy has nothing to worry about, and might even sell more next yr than this yr., and I hope they do. Now if they could just do something about the aproach angle and the inboard shocks in the back?

Wow! I think I rew this truck 50 years ago on an etch-a-sketch. I don't understand why they are adding more gears to the automatics. My 2011 5.3 6 speed auto gets about 2 mpg less than the 2005 5.3 4 speed I did have in every driving situation.

I think this is awesome but I'd prefer something a little smaller. This thing is kind of big compared to the old Silverado's or CK's. Hopefully the new Colorado will get redesigned for us American's. I prefer round wheel openings too so it would be a better fit for me. I hope the Colorado has this kind of exterior and interior quality though. I'm very impressed by this. It just wouldn't fit in my garage. My next truck will be between the Colorado, F-150 and Tacoma. I'd prefer a Chevrolet though. I've owned a C6 Corvette for 5 years now and never had any issues with it. We also have a Cruze. I'd prefer to stick with Chevrolet. I want something to tow my new boat with next summer!

The video makes a world of difference in forming an opinion of these new trucks. The photo's made me dislike the Sierra and I was ambivalent about the new interior.
After looking at the video - I like the looks of the Sierra. I still prefer the Silverado. This Silverado nose does play homage to the previous gen trucks. I like that linkage to Chevy history.
I like the HID lights much better than the standard lights in the Silverado.
Why don't they offer HID across the line?
I might end up liking the Sierra better in non-HID trim. The non-HID Silverado reminded me of the GMT 400's.
The interior looks good in the video. I like the infotainment centre. It does seem less "busy" than the Ford or Ram systems.

I am eagerly awaiting the specs on the engines. I also am looking foreward to hearing real world reports on these trucks.

A while ago I made the comment that the Ram was the new benchmark - looks like Ram is going to find things a bit crowded on that work bench.

If I were in the market right now for a new truck with the new 2014 Chevy, 2013 Ram and current Ford. I'd be hard pressed to find a reason to buy the Ford and Ram. That is a preliminary judgement with the caveat being "subject to change" based upon real world testing and reporting.

I wonder how long it will take for the trolls to start misquoting that comment?

Here you will find some great photos.

I have to agree with Lou on this.I couldn't watch the video at work but after being home and seeing it twice the look is growing on me (much better angles the the official GM photos) and the interior looks nicer than those pictures would suggest. the glove box area still looks like a vast expanse of barren land but at least I can now see some contrast stitching that breaks it up a little. All of the plug in areas will be nice. (obviously the model being shown is the LTZ not the lower level trims)

Any more news on the High Country and Outlaw trims and 8-speeds? Also any better pics of the regular LT and WT models? Any regular cab photos? I have yet to see one of those.

Holy hell I can't type tonight. Forgive the typos and stuff.

Wow, this truck puts the F150 and Ram in the old folks home. This is a truck for real men not sissies who would say it fails. Did I say sissies will say it is an epic fail?
Did I say sissies will say it is an epic fail?
Did I say sissies will say it is an epic fail?
Did I say sissies will say it is an epic fail?
Did I say sissies will say it is an epic fail?
Did I say sissies will say it is an epic fail?
Did I say sissies will say it is an epic fail?
Did I say sissies will say it is an epic fail?
Did I say sissies will say it is an epic fail?
Did I say sissies will say it is an epic fail?
Did I say sissies will say it is an epic fail?
Did I say sissies will say it is an epic fail?

@oxi: @ carilloskis: Personally, I do see your point about "approach angle", the bumper does lie significantly lower than previous models. However, it appears you'll need to put up with a trade-off; you either have the high ground clearance for off-roading on worse than unimproved trails or you have the low ground clearance for improved highway gas mileage.

What this means is that you're probably going to have to pick and choose at the time of purchase or plan for an aftermarket bumper that doesn't hang so low. The photos do show an air dam that lowers the bumper's fascia about 2 to 3 inches which should be removable, but even that may not be enough if you're having to navigate fallen trees or deep ruts on the trails. In other words, buy what you need instead of the fanciest rig around.

That said, I believe a full-on Jeep "Trail Ready" pickup truck would be the ideal choice. It would be designed for off-road capability first, then added hauling ability. With the rumor that Jeep may actually make the MightyFC and/or the J-10 project mods as options some time in '13, you might find a better rig for those Forest Service roads.

Jugger, It will be more than 3.

The options page says this about the bumper step:

"Standard equip. 1 - Included and only available with (VJH) rear chrome bumper."

So if you dont want the step you have to get the painted black W/T bumper. That's appropriate. Workmen won't be needing the step.

Also, the Sierra's headlight LED "signiture" rope lights are only on the All Terrain model's headlamps. So they arent DRL's. They are mearly there for show.

I think the W/T just got more desireable. I don't like painted bumpers but that step just weakens the corners and is not a good look. I can always get it chromed later for about $120.

Hold on a minute...that's not a W/T in the Sierra article. It has custom wheels and power rear window glass. Now I'm confused. Maybe it is optional since the chrome w/step is standard equipment on all but the W/T.

@dwfields, Or you can have the best of both worlds with the class exclusive air suspension in the new Ram that lifts 4" for off road and lowers a 1/2" for highway and have best of both worlds. What a concept!

Guts!

Glory!

Still the class leader Ram!

Lou,

Wait until you see the 2015 F150 which will be at the Detroit Auto Show next month to steal Chevy's thunder.

The biggest loser in all of this is Ram. Ram is the class leader in needless air bags.

Guts

Glory

Ram in 3rd place again!

Some people bought into the Ram hype when those mile long press releases were posted on the 13 Rams.

After the dust settled people realized Ram's are still garbage trucks - slower, smaller, least reliable, can't do as much work, etc.

With the new GM's and current and coming Fords, there is no reason to downgrade into a Ram.

@JD, That's funny right there I don't care who you are. lol

GM does the best in trying to take out Ford. Ram can't and never will take out Ford because Ram does not have the capability, the larger cab or the reliability. It's that simple.

American’s Most Dangerous and Crappiest Pickup?

You guessed it – Dodge Ram 1500!

They look like winners all ther way around. New V8 engines offered where Ford and Dodge are heading to just V6's. The SUVs are next based on these two trucks. With GM controling over 70% of the large suv market, I see their share of the suv market only growing along with the pickups. Next, the HDs and 4500 and 5500. Life is GOOD!

I lost a little respect for Lou when he was so quick to call Ram the class leader after a couple press releases and not all of the info. I think he just wanted to be the first to call Ram was the class leader. Now we got all of this Hemi guys quoting him nonstop. I am glad Lou is backing away from the Hemi and is giving other trucks a chance this time. I still think F150 is tops. The Chevy sounds good so far.

but is it roomier than he Ford? The back seat looks small

OH HOW FUN IT IS

CAUSE KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

SOMETHING THE KOOL AID KLUB LACKS

WHAT FLAVOR IS THAT FORD KOOL AID ANYWAY???

BUMBLING BLUE! LOL

Posted by: HEMI V8 | Sep 29, 2012 1:57:15 AM

What we know is the Hemi V8 is proven reliable. Has been on Wards 10 best engine list 6 times. Fords eco and 5.0 are new.
Here is the best part.
5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 with Fuel Saver Technology and variable-valve timing (VVT) provides 395 horsepower, 407 lb.-ft. of torque and best-in-class fuel economy for V-8 trucks, beating competitive turbo V-6 engines.
Which would you want. A V6 (Ford Eco) that's worse on gas or a V8 that's better on gas and has more horse power? I know which one I would buy. The class leading Hemi V8

Cheer up Lou, You might get more then a new grill in a couple of years. Until then ford will take a back seat to the refreshed 2013 Ram.

All Guts=395HP

All Glory=with all of it's awards

Let the ass kicking commence

Posted by: HEMI V8 | Oct 25, 2012 6:01:22 PM

@jeep TROLL I'd rather have a Jeep made in China than my 2010 F150!

Posted by: Lou | Oct 24, 2012 11:23:15 AM

I think that Ram is the class leader.

Posted by: Lou | Apr 13, 2012 3:14:19 PM

Dave, Jason,
I'm not so sure this is such a good idea to show your hand so early. The truck is two years away.
This was reported by Routers and nobody has been able to verify it. It might be a case of the same loud mouth that said earlier this year that F-150 won't get any excessive make over for years to come.
If they go ahead and do show it off, it will reassure my thoughts of what they think about the new Silverado and it kind of shows desperation.

Think about it. Don't just go off at me. What you think?

That's one way to look at it. I look at like this. They're not going to show off everything. It will be a teaser to get people excited and distract people from looking at the GM's. It must be good if Ford is ready to take one to the chin of GM this soon.

It is probably something Ford feels GM can't just whip up within the next year or two. Maybe more revolutionary instead of GM's more evolution.

But you may also be correct it could be like the loudmouths who made previous false reports. We'll find out in 29 days if Ford shows up with the F-150.

GM and Ford are also working together on the 9 and 10 speeds.

With the new GM and Ford trucks, Ram is pretty much screwed now.

Also, the CEO of Ram is planning on buying the rest of Chrysler/Ram. A deal will be made soon. possibly by year's end. Then Fiat will be able to use all of Ram profits to help operations in Italy and not on Ram.

Fiat CEO: plan to buy Chrysler shares

December 14, 2012

@Dave,

Ford will be showing off the new 2015 girliman step aka woman step at the Detroit Auto Show. You can use the step with high heels on. LOL!

@ken: belated thanks for the discription of CD.

Every time I go on the freeway, I'll be thinking about that extra swinging rotational mass.

Sexy!

Meanwhile... while the Ford and Chevy fan's wait for 2014 & 2015.lol
Until then ford & Chevy will take a back seat to the refreshed 2013 Ram.

All Guts=395HP

All Glory=with all of it's awards 5.7L wards 10 best 6x 5x in a row. 3.6 pentastar wards 10 best 3x in a row. Truck of Texas. Motortrends truck of the year. etc.. etc...

Let the ass kicking commence!!!!

P.S. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!! RAMS HEMI 8 SPEED IS COMING REAL SOON!!!

Ram is the class leader pointing the direction all of the automakers will head towards.

Posted by: Lou | Apr 13, 2012 3:14:19 PM

GUTS

GLORY

RAM!

@Tim - I didn't say they were the class leader. This is what I said " I think that the 2013 Ram is the new benchmark and compass pointing the direction all of the automakers will head towards". That still is out of context with the discussion I was having with a few other posters about the new Rams when I made those comments.

Idiot trolls trying to make their own brand look better ended up doing the opposite. At the end of the day, I do not regret making those comments.

Please note - Ford and GMC will come out with 8-10 speed transmissions of their own. They will most likely have shuttered grills too. I bet they also have looked at airbags.
That does indicate, if anything, Ram has taken a lead role or at least beat everyone to market with some significant items.

That is what I meant by that statement based on the information I had at the time. Do I need to add a disclaimer when I am impressed by new technology (new to pickups)?

I do think that we are at a point in time that any gains in mpg and efficiency will be hard fought and come in small percentage points not huge leaps foreward. If anything, I WAS overly optimistic as to how big a step foreward Chrysler's new technology seemed at the time.

What is more worthy of respect - blind brand idolatry, or being open to what is out there?
Should I slag GMC or Ram or Toyota at every chance because I own an F150?

Back on topic with the new Chevy trucks. I do think that from the looks of these trucks, Chevrolet may not of hit an out of the park homerun,but they did hit a healthy double or maybe triple.

The new engines will tell us if they can actually round 3rd for home.
I do suspect that since they increased the size of the rear ends on the new trucks, the new engines will have some serious HP and torque. I doubt that they will be MPG leaders because too many press releases have indicated that if you want mpg , buy the next gen Colorado.

Tradeing in my 2010 F150 for a 2013 Ram soon reason why my tranny just went this really sucks! Ram with 8 speed is a truck i am looking for Hemi V8 i am with you brother.

Posted by: Lou | Oct 26, 2012 12:43:10 PM

@jeep TROLL I'd rather have a Jeep made in China than my 2010 F150!

Posted by: Lou | Oct 24, 2012 11:23:15 AM

Stop whining! RAM is the CLASS LEADER now. If all you want to do is bash Ram, then stop. This is a pro-Ram post.

25 mpg!!!!!

RIP Ford F150. It was nice knowing you.

Posted by: Lou

Guts, Glory, Ram

Posted by: Lou

@troll - thanks for listing many of the fake posts that were done under my name.

You trolls are consistent, or more specifically , consistently stupid.

This new truck is a real improvement technically i am positive as far as design to inspire new customer they missed the boat. They should hire asian designers no wonder why ford and ram sells like crazy. wAKE UP G.M. you are loosing long time customers with boring same models over the years. Trucks owners needs reliables but also attractive vehicules. future RAM buyer.

technicallly lots of improvements better fuel mileage for sure same boring design for decades not attractive for new buyers G.M. should hire asian designers to create innovative models. no wonder why Fords and Rams are selling like crazy. Next Ram buyer

I bet it`s a great truck but I can`t get past the ugly wheel cut outs and bulging fenders.
Too much hulk.
Bring on the Colorado.

Great trucks. Current Dodge Dakota owner and will consider the Chevy or GMC. Big 3 produce great trucks and we are fortunate to have choices. Cannot wait to have the payload and towing numbers.

"...a completely re-configurable storage area in the middle."

=

You can move the cup holders to the FORWARD position!

"it looks like the 2006-2007 silverados crossed with the 1988-1995 silverados."

Perhaps you mean 1988-1998? because a 1995 exterior is the same as a 1998._

"The wheels look like 20" which makes for more ground clearance."

How do 20" wheels translate to ground clearance?_

@Lou--Both these trucks look very competitive and hopefully both live up to their expectations. It is much better to have more competitive products and have a harder decision to make when buying than not. If Ford and Ram answer with a better product then we all benefit. Having better products to choose from only makes it better for all of us. Hopefully the new Colorado/Canyon twins open up some competition and give Nissan and Toyota an incentive to update their midsize trucks

Ram is the class leader?
Would that be class leading capability? No.
Would that be class leading towing? No.
Class leading hauling capacity? No.
Payload? No.
Bed size? No.
What about crash tests? No.
Top Safety pick? No.
Class leading interior room? No.
Class leading fuel economy? 8 speed V8 STILL has not been released yet. Current Hemi is 13/19. No.
Class leading quality? No.
Reliability? No.
Durability? No.
Operating costs? No.
Performance fully loaded? No.
Electronics? Basic nav doesn't work for MT.
Class leading configurations? No. No 6.5' Crewcab. Future bed comes up 2" short compared to the competition. No 8' bed Dcab.

Just admit you were wrong about Ram being the class leader. You may find it liberating. It's also the truth.

Benchmark, leader, same difference.

Ram is the new benchmark in quality, reliability, durability, top safety, interior roominess, bed roominess, payload, towing, capacity, fue econ (still no rating for 8 speed Hemi), electronics, performance fully loaded, visibility, configurations?

No to all of the above.

Lou doesn't have to think about any of that. He just goes with the latest flavor of the month which was Ram several months ago. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But the benchmark has already been set and Ram is lacking in the key areas.

There is nothing that looks aerodynamic about it, it looks like they went backwards!

Those that think this will be the 2014 Truck of the Year, well, Maybe if NOBODY ELSE CHANGES anything! Of course, Ram will probably stick the VM Motori diesel in a 1500 and take it again.

LOL at these trucks!

This should make for a good shootout though! It should come in 3rd or 4th!

I see Michigan Bob is posting under various names, trying to dog out the Pentastar. You Gm guys can wait 3 years for your 10 speeds.

To those asking about the rear wheel wells...It would appear they have liners:

...at least at the trim level they had on hand.