Ford Customers Go Behind the Scenes on Super Duty Testing

SD KTP_frame_review-2100 II

Five Ford Super Duty customers, chosen at random, will participate in the durability testing of the next-generation 2017 Super Duty F-Series pickup truck. First shown at the 2015 State Fair of Texas, the new Ford heavy-duty pickups will have aluminum bodies (exactly like little brother F-150); heavier-duty axles, brakes and driveline components; and they will get better fuel economy.

Ford will take these customers to the factory, the proving grounds and on the road to see exactly how these trucks are pushed, punished and put through their paces. Each of the participants — professionals from business sectors that rely on HD pickups — will have a chance to question engineers and designers as the pickups work their way through each stage of testing and fine-tuning.

Ford is making a video series that follows these construction, forestry, oil, sanitation, private business and manufacturing professionals as they observe the new Super Duty work its way to its debut in late summer or early fall.

The first of the "We Own Work" videos will come out in February, and will introduce the five participants and describe their businesses. Later episodes will focus on the new technology and features in the new Super Duty.

Manufacturer images

SD The_Insiders-2100 II

Comments

Jeff S,
I see people with the view that LAMO has regarding the detection of fault in aviation.

This is an area I'm extremely adept. There are many faults that are intermittent, or purely mechanical that are not easily replicated. This can be a real problem when fault finding.

LAMO with that one comment has illustrated the guy is a know nothing. This is the biggest reason by I place little credibility in most any comment he submits on this forum.

He reads magazine articles and manufacturer propaganda and disperses his bullsh!T over the net.

Clueless should be his tag here on PUTC.

Big AL

LMAO kid has a masters degree in design and development of paper hats. LMBO!

If you want to learn about programmer, scanners, codes watch this guy's videos. He knows things unlike paper hat builder LMAO kid clown.

I'm sure you are right BARFO. Not even close.

I place little credibility in most any comment he submits on this forum.

Clueless should be his tag here on PUTC.

Posted by: Big Al from Oz | Jan 29, 2016 3:36:06 PM

And yet nobody here even cares if you post here or not. You have no credibility here. Just you and your little imaginary friends believe the rubbish you blab about. Talking about a fool.

FYI, Ford only released 1 calibration update for the 2009 Ranger. It was for a slow to engagement fix. All of those transmissions had a slow engagement time and Ford updated the calibrations to increase EPC pressures to help with the faster engagement times.

Jeff S,

This is an area I'm extremely adept.

Posted by: Big Al from Oz | Jan 29, 2016 3:36:06 PM

That was meant as a joke right? Aviation? I believe that as much as I would own a Ford.

Look forward to watching the oil and gas industry vid to see how these trucks compare to the trucks where i live. I would have thought the ram would of had more market share with the cummins in any of these industries

Or atleast more than shown in the vids

If Ford want know the true about is truck you don't take a Ford owner ,,,

2009 Ranger?

LMAO

I bought mine on Thanksgiving weekend 2009. It was a 2010 model. The dealer's service dept manager spent a good half hour with me, test driving and trying to assure that I was ok with their fact finding.

Bottom line: the torque converter lock up was goofy under part throttle acceleration, such as a long Interstate on ramp. It didn't hiccup at full throttle (short ramp) or at very light throttle.

On only one occasion it slipped pulling away from a dead stop (in low). All of the rest of the rough shifts were the fourth to high gear shift. After putting up with it for more than a year I threw in the towel and traded up to the Silverado.

As I noted in an earlier comment today, the dealer gets no incentive to deny warranty work.

Having once worked in a dealer service dept I can tell you that there's often some friction between the manufacturer's representative and the staff in the dealer's service dept.

@LMAO--Even different Ford dealers can interpret a computer code differently. My wife had a Taurus with a check engine light that would come on intermittently. One dealer interpreted the code as something that they could not fix and another dealership properly diagnosed it as a defective sensor which could be fixed easily and for not much cost. Both Ford dealerships had service departments with outstanding reputations but the second diagnosis was the correct one and after the sensor was replaced no more issues. Today's vehicles will run a long time with few problems but when there is a problem it can be much harder to determine the issue--this is the case regardless of brand.

papa jim, That TSB I mentioned covers up to 2010 models with the 2.3L and 4.0L engine. Nothing for what you describe. The dealer should have made repair attempts. I can clearly see there are no bulletins for 2009 and 2010 Rangers for any transmission symptoms with the exception of what I already posted. And before you ask, yes I still have full access to all Ford service technician information. And I mean all. I too worked at a dealership service department. Unless the dealer showed you exact communication from Ford and yes they should be able to provide you documentation there should have been repair attempts. In fact if the dealer could not figure it out a Ford rep could have been sent out to help the dealer. If I had the VIN for the Ranger I could even find out the entire history of that vehicle. But I would not post that information at all because it can track back to you personally.

As far as friction between dealers and dealerships service department is mostly on the dealer side. I have seen it for a long time. For example a dealer said they did a certain degree of test. Everything they said they did, did not make and sense for the results they gave. So after logging into their scan tool via remote access (remember that software belongs to the manufacture) and found the dealer did not do anything. It was all false information and no test performed.

Posted by: Jeff S | Jan 30, 2016 7:48:43 AM

It all comes down to training and the techs abilities. Codes are not to be interpreted at all. They are a starting point. You have to figure what systems could affect the engine to set that code. For instance I mentioned lean codes. The vast majority of repairs were common to replacing an O2 sensor. It would "fix it" because it takes a while for the engine light to come on. But lean codes are almost never O2 sensors. It is related to intake leaks, exhaust leaks, fuel issues, fuel pressure issues, MAF/MAP issues, misfire issues (even though there are misfire monitors), just to start. In some cases "educated guess's have to occur. Intermittent issues are a real pain. But if you dig deep enough into the engine control module you will find the parameter where the code set and you can try to figure out your diag route from there. But that takes time that warranty does not pay a tech for.

Jeff S,

This is an area I'm extremely adept.

Posted by: Big Al from Oz | Jan 29, 2016 3:36:06 PM

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jan 29, 2016 6:04:58 PM

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jan 30, 2016 7:49:27

Who ever posted the above 2 comments should have their IP addresses and device IDs blocked by PUTC. If done so would eliminate much of the $#it that gets posted on here.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jan 30, 2016 10:16:56 AM

Who ever posted the above comment should have their IP addresses and device IDs blocked by PUTC. If done so would eliminate much of the $#it that gets posted on here.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jan 30, 2016 10:16:56 AM

Actually I used your name because of the love I have for you a few days ago when I was using this computer to play with rolling looser of beer. Forgot to change it over from last Thursday. Don't worry, you have nothing insightful to say anyways. Seems others like playing with your user name too. But then again you use many other user names as you were caught doing so. I just admit it when I messed up. At least what I posted was actual information and not bashing in anyway.

Click on this link if you are really concerned about this. However, make sure there are no ghosts in your closet (ip address) first.

So PUTC is letting us know in this article we are in for another year of the Mike Levine Ford Super Duty hype and spin, dog and pony shows. Some hype and spin is ok but every little thing is a bite much which I think hurt the F-150 (new wiring harness, how interesting). There is no way the F150 could have live up to all that hype and spin. The poor Ford PR guys (hiding behind multiple names using 1960s marketing tactics) that work these auto web sites are not helping Ford or PUTC.

Posted by: LMAO | Jan 30, 2016 10:49:28 AM

Done! No ghosts or skeletons. I will remain in contact with PUTC and supply a log of postings which will obviously not be associated with my e-mail address.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jan 30, 2016 11:39:56 AM

There you go big boy. Glad I could help out!

no ford for me cheap pickup

What is amazing about these new Ford SuperDutys is the fact they are aluminium with little change in the vehicles weight.

Ford has and will continue to use the load/tow mantra as it's main selling point to justify and market this change.

The reality is Ford needs to reduce the massive costs expended in the aluminium pickup ventures.

The load/tow have little to do with reality.

Why?

It will be interesting to see another slight drop in Ford F Series numbers when Ford releases these heavy duty pickups.

Ford might be selling another couple of percent more in F Series compared to a year ago, but GM is selling a much greater percentage increase in their pickups.

Then the Cummins Titan and 1/2 ton Titan will come along. A new Tundra, the next Frontier.

Ford will have it's hands full.

With the success of the diesel Ram and diesel Colorado/Canyon I do believe Ford is now clamouring to bring on line a diesel F-150.

LMAO your last comment was incoherent. What was the point?

LMAO your last comment was incoherent. What was the point?

Posted by: papa jim | Jan 31, 2016 1:46:31 AM

It appears you have been trowlled by rolling can of beer. That's what it means.

The load/tow have little to do with reality.
osted by: Big Al from Oz | Jan 30, 2016 1:33:19

Ok I do agree the weight saving is minimal going aluminum with the Superduty but I do want to know what parts have been beefed up to off set the extra weight. To me it sounds like they used the weight savings to make an even more robust truck. For a superduty type truck this seems like a good thing. But it is all speculation till it is released.

What I don't understand is you are always on this load and tow thing. First you say everyone with a 150 uses their truck as a grocery getter only. If they want to tow they buy a bigger truck. Now you are saying even the bigger trucks are grocery getters also? So now when someone needs to load and tow they buy what, and F650?

"A diesel F-150 might make it comparable to the diesel Ram, which appears to have had better reviews than the aluminium F-150 in some instances."

Comparative how?