2017 Ford Raptor Is Ready to Race

Foutz Raptor Racing action II

In order to fine-tune the next-generation 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor, engineers are taking the new aluminum-bodied pickup to the punishing 2016 Best in the Desert off-road racing series, where it will compete in one of the least-modified stock classes offered.

The race-ready Raptor will be driven by longtime Ford driver Greg Foutz from Foutz Motorsports, who said in a statement that although this new pickup truck needed relatively few modifications to race in this series, it did need a few additional safety features required by race insurers. Those changes include a full interior roll cage, five-point safety belt harnesses and window nets, a special fuel cell, heavier-duty front and rear springs, a Lowrance GPS, and a RacePak digital dash and data logger.

With those changes made, the Raptor will use the factory high-output 3.5-liter V-6 EcoBoost and 10-speed transmission. You can bet the Ford engineers will make sure the engine and transmission have the right settings, not just for this competition but also for the new "Baja" off-road mode. When the Raptor goes on sale in the fall it will offer six settings: Normal, Street, Weather, Mud/Sand, Baja and Rock.

The Raptor will race in the five remaining 2016 Best in the Desert events:

• Mint 400, Las Vegas: March 10-14
  • Laughlin Desert Classic, Laughlin, Nev.: May 5
  • Vegas to Reno, Las Vegas: Aug. 17-20
  • Bluewater Challenge, Parker, Ariz.: Sept. 10-Oct. 6
  • Pahrump Nugget 250, Pahrump, Nev.: Dec. 1-4

Manufacturer image

Foutz Raptor Racing Int II

Foutz Raptor Racing Hero II

Comments

I guarantee you are talking garbage about making boost at idle. You stab the throttle you will see O psi on the gauge or around 14.5 depending on the Guage type. You must be the son of BARFO

Posted by: LMAO | Feb 3, 2016 2:32:13 PM

Haha! Hook line and sinker: now that you can't take back what you said. Explain the twin screw supercharger by-pass valve on oem installed superchargers. This is gonna be good. LOL!

Compressor surge. When you let off the throttle there can be some high back pressure in the intake. The by pass will release that pressure back into the presupercharger side of the intake instead of venting into the atmosphere. No different than turbo cars. They have to vent also. I have yet to see a system bypass the intercooler with a bypass valve.

@BARFo - please point out where I'm downplaying turbo lag or boost?

I've driven a F150 SuperCrew with the EB3.5 in very poor weather i.e. winter. We had a hit of mild weather which made the roads icy then right after got hit by a bizzard than a drop to -25C.

I had ZERO issues modulating throttle on icy roads at crawl or higher speeds.

Oh..... you talk about a Ranger Raptor............ don't you think that it too would have a reduced payload like the F150 Raptor.

Poor baby.

Posted by: LMAO | Feb 3, 2016 2:55:38 PM
Hmmm, for a guy who thinks he knows everything and I can tell you are partially correct. Remember you said " I guarantee you are talking garbage about making boost at idle." so with that I present you an education opportunity. Start reading at the 3rd paragraph. It should make sense to you but I am unsure of your abilities to learn.

I will read that later but I have played with those cars. Very tuner freindly. But they are an automatic and you could never get to WOT at idle. You would flash up on the converter. But I will play along in a few hours when I get home and have more time. Glad to see you do not know anything about force induction though and have to search forums.

If I remember correctly those were not even intercooled.

LAMO: You just schooled. Another reason why you should educate yourself before you shoot off with your keyboard. LOL PS I only speak with experience. LOL

You just schooled.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Feb 3, 2016 3:29:44 PM

I know and you are the student. So sit back and listen. You know jack crap just from what I have seen in this thread.

@LAMO: my son had a supercharged cobalt with Eaton supercharger and a 5 speed manual trans. I tested the boost theory one evening. I placed the trany in 5th gear and slowed the vehicle to 1000 rpm. Then I mashed the throttle, guess what immediately the boost gauge read 4 psi. Yes those oem positive displacement superchargers can make boost at idle. But boosting at idle makes no sense and would only cause rough idle and severe detonation. The by-pass valve prevents boost pressures at idle. Your welcome, &&$hole.

You just schooled.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Feb 3, 2016 3:29:44 PM

Posted by: LMAO | Feb 3, 2016 3:42:58 PM

Sorry, but you just got schooled, again.

I see where you have been wrong on many occasions here. Not where I got schooled. Nice try and please come again. You are really a GMfanbot. Don't know anything unless they tell you.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Feb 3, 2016 3:43:18 PM

Hahahahaha have a cobalt? Now that is funny. I seriously doubt you did that. Fifth gear, wot at 1000 rpm on a 4 banger? I bet that engine spat and shuddered like a mule. Fyi, 1000 rpm is not a normal idle either. LMAO.

Oh, fyi I had a freind years ago with one of those pieces of crap with a stick. I seriously doubt your story but nice try. Thise things are dogs unless you sink some money I to those.

Hope Ford runs at least two so at least one finishes. :)

@LMAO: I knew about the full operation of the by-pass valve over 20 years ago, you are just being brought up to speed. ( your welcome) I wonder could I know even more than you, I sure hope so because you know &#it.

Yea right GMsNOTSOGREAT. You have not provideo any actual data to prove anything. You continue to be a complete moron. A cobalt, now that is funny.

Holy crap, I cannot stop laughing about you and the cobalt.

You have not provideo any actual data to prove anything.

Posted by: LMAO | Feb 3, 2016 4:30:53 PM

You appear to be incapable of learning.
Here, read it again, oh sorry, have someone educated read it for you. LoL

Provideo, what is that, Italian. LOL, too easy....LMAO!!! Hahaha. .......HaHaHaHaHaHaHa.............HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Posted by: LMAO | Feb 3, 2016 3:53:36 PM

1. Supercharger by-pass valve.
2. Electric power steering on GM twins.
3. Stability systems on GM before Ford.

Just to name a few. LAMO, you should have stayed in school.

Seriously!

Why would one supercharge a Cobalt? Oh forgot about the SS Cobalt.
Change that to, "why would anyone buy a supercharged Cobalt?"

That is kinda like taking advice from Big Al...........

It might seem like a good idea at the time until you realize that almost everything else is better.

@BARF You keep talking about how much more efficient diesel is compared to gasser..... Well it better be since the fuels are not even the same... Why do you keep comparing apples to oranges? Diesels have their place but so do gasoline engines. There is more units of energy in diesel fuel then in a gasoline unit.

Is ram putting a diesel in their power wagon?

Oh yeah... whats with these ram ecodiesels that have an issue with a camshaft or something that fails and kills the engine. Just like every manufacturer, they have their issues. Get off your soap box.

1. Supercharger by-pass valve.
2. Electric power steering on GM twins.
3. Stability systems on GM before Ford.

Just to name a few. LAMO, you should have stayed in school.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Feb 3, 2016 5:22:42 PM

OK COBALTSAREGREAT, There was no proof at all in that article. Now if you want to say that the bypass valve will help with drivability to smooth out acceleration then yes, I can agree. If you want to say it helps with reduced load on the supercharger under normal driving conditions, then yes I can agree. I believe it also helps with some heat under no boost conditions also. But prevents boost while idling???????? now that will be a first for me. I guess if you overdrive the supercharger enough and the supercharger was large enough, then yes maybe you can have boost at idle. But then it would not be idle anymore or just an extremely lean engine. I'm sorry COBALTSRGREAT when you have actual experience with supercharged or turbo charged engines then you may have a clue. But so far you are just a turd. A slow cobalt turd.

FYI you do not need to have a boost blow off valve on supercharged engines. You typically find them on factory cars for drivability. The 383 small block chevy I built years ago with a 144 and finally a 671 did not have any blow off valves.

Why would one supercharge a Cobalt? Oh forgot about the SS Cobalt.
Change that to, "why would anyone buy a supercharged Cobalt?"

That is kinda like taking advice from Big Al...........

Posted by: Lou_BC | Feb 3, 2016 5:35:35 PM

Yea those things were turds. Kinda like the turbo charged calibers. The cobalt I drove was just garbage. Handled like crap, it did pull ok but definitely nothing special. I guess some people may like them. Much rather have an EVO or STI.

@LAMO : well you proved you can't comprehend anything that hasn't been written by the Ford marketing team. No surprise there. Will you keep believing in military grade aluminium, the tooth fairy and keep watching your DVD collection of I Dream of Jeannie. I'll just keep enjoying my 6.2 8 speed GM truck, you know , the winner in this article : hahaha........LMAO

Here you go cobaltsrgreat. definitely not a cobalt here.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Feb 3, 2016 6:18:47 PM

Awwwww well will you look at that COBALTSRGREAT is all mad because he realizes he is a complete tool bag. So he says the exact same thing to me that I told him. What a complete fool. Typical retard action by this putz too. He realized he is a moron and tries to change the subject. I hope you like your truck. I'm positive that is only nice thing you have. Kinda like a hood rat that lives in a dump but has his caddie with dubs.

Here you go cobaltsrgreat. definitely not a cobalt here.

Posted by: LMAO | Feb 3, 2016 6:19:13 PM

Oh, you can hear the boost blow of valve in this also. Just saying.

If one is good, 2 is better.

This comment right here....

"A turbo gas engine is good at high rpms, ie, racing a car around a race track not off road racing."

Proves that BAFO has no idea what he is talking about.

Tell me BAFO, where is turbo gas Ecoboost 3.5L making most of its horsepower and torque that PUTC did a wheel end dyno in 2011 comparing it to the 5.0L V8?

Horsepower

Torque

Wow, it sure looks like it is making more torque nad has a much greater power gain in the lower rpms in comparison to the N/A V8.

How about another dyno but this time comparing crank numbers of the Ecodiesel, Ecoboost, and 5.3L Ecotec.

Where is that turbo gaser making most of its torque? Hmm, it sure does like the high rpms you are claiming. I guess you don't know enough about turbos to know that you can tune them give boost at certain rpms, and if it comes on at higher rpms then it usually is a very large turbo made for racing. Same principal applies to diesels as well.

Get a clue before you start your start your ignorant "I hate it just because ALL-1 and Lou like it and I have to be against them because I am still butt hurt they know more than me" tirades.

I don't think LMAO clown has ever drove a 5 speed manual Cobalt. For their era they had some get up and go for what they are, but what can we extra. LMAO clown more then likely thinks the parking brake peddle is the clutch peddle.

Posted by: johnny doe | Feb 3, 2016 8:00:01 PM

I am ok if you want to believe that. I am a little ashamed I even drove that cobalt but my buddy was having issues with it again and I needed to drive it. They are junk. Maybe we will meet up at a race track and I can show you how I get the brake and clutch pedals mixed up. Just saying.

Posted by: johnny doe | Feb 3, 2016 8:00:01 PM

Haha..LAMO got schooled today on oem superchargers, he is but hurt and has no other choice but resort to name calling. He probable can't even drive a stick. LOL

Yeah hopefully the Raptor can actually complete the Baja 1000 this time...

Wow! Here is Fords steel truck vs Beer can tough grade. lol

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Feb 3, 2016 9:37:27 PM

Yea not so much cobaltsrgreat. There was no education coming to me from you at all. You again proved your a mechanical idiot. Aka, I know everything there is about superchargers. I owned a cobalt ss.

Oh my god I was still laughing about that last night. A cobalt.

Posted by: LMAO | Feb 3, 2016 8:04:21 PM

LAMO: I hope your not suggesting you could have fixed your friends Cobalt. If it was supercharged with a complaint of detonating and rough at idle , then you wouldn't have known to check the by-pass valve being stuck closed. Hahaha. LAMO is such a bafoon . If your not comfortable learning about supercharger applicactions on cobalts and 3800 v6 , then continue your education by reading up on idle issues with the Ford lightning, that should drive the message home. Haha! , LMAO! ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Seems to me the Silverado got more air.
The real difference is , the Ford idiot spent too much. LMAO!

Try and learn something cobaltsrgreat

What about bypass valves? During non boost driving, bypass valves reduce NOX emissions and allow the supercharger to operate at a cooler temperature by circulating compressed air (boost) back to the inlet.

Non boost driving like at idle. Hehe!
Haha, finally your getting it. The first sentence and they placed boost in brackets for you. Just remember, you heard it from me first. LOL.

Hahahahaha, yes I have a lot of experience compared to you. Drag racing, SCCOA racing.
Posted by: LMAO | Feb 3, 2016 2:32:13 PM

You said that by yourself. You have no offroad and slow rock crawling experience. F150 is for straight line racing. Exactly what ford is only promoting all the time. Last time with 2.7 ecoboost. Oh. And back up assist.

Well with the USA news today Fiat/Ram planning to kill off thier car lines & Consumer Reports rating the JEEP family near the worst to own, what's left, Ram?

Posted by: supercrew02 | Feb 3, 2016 10:21:07 AM

That's old good news I read about at allpar already and FCA is going to be #2 moving ford to #3 this year because of that.
Good strategy from Marchionne if you ask me.

on boost driving like at idle. Hehe!

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Feb 4, 2016 8:48:24 AM

Oh my god you are still trying so hard to be right and you continue to look like a moron. Read what you just copied. Non boost driving. That is key. Under hwy speeds, light acceleration no boost is needed. So those oem bypass valves keep the port open to reduce supercharger load and drag. Makes for a more efficient engine. Not to kill boost. If you ever looked at a boost gauge while driving you would understand that. But again you are just and old fart liar without a clue. If the supercharger is large enough in displacement compared to engine side you could get blower surge at idle. But we are not talking about that. You think the blower will make boost at idle without the valve. That is flat out wrong in most situations. I'm sure there is a rare situation where the blower is so large it could make boost at idle.

Posted by: LMAO | Feb 3, 2016 2:32:13 PM

Posted by: RAM | Feb 4, 2016 8:52:14 AM

I never said I didn't do off road stuff either. Again you missed the point, you can have different turbo and supercharger setups for each need. BARFO says a diesel is best for rock crawling, you can have a gas engine set up for the same thing with a turbo set up for a limited RPM range like a diesel. I also said gearing is your freind in crawling also. Learn to read please.

@LMAO: I never expected you to admit you were wrong, but it seems your starting to understand. Just keep thinking about that. You may be able to help some Ford lightning owner with the information you learned from me. After all, isn't that why we keeping coming back to this website so we could share our experiences and learn from others.

Cobaltsrgreat, there is nothing you have said that is even correct. So I have no idea what you are talking about. You said ano OEM supercharger makes boost at idle. And you are flat out wrong.

Oh and fyi, I continue to love learning about forced induction. There is always something new to learn especially with today's technologies, but you have not said anything correct to learn from.

@ LAMO : I assumed you were a technician, appearantly I was wrong.

Posted by: LMAO | Feb 4, 2016 9:03:31 AM

So, what is the new F 150 ecoboost setup for?

RAM - which ecoboost? Ford has the 2.7 and 3.5.