2017 Nissan Titan: Newest Half-Ton Enters the Truck Wars

17_nissan_titan front 1 II

The second player in Nissan's two-truck full-size pickup strategy debuted today at the 2016 New York International Auto Show. Also called the Titan, this is the first time we've seen the truck in person (Nissan displayed photos at the 2016 Chicago Auto Show), and it's clear the Titan shares many design cues and characteristics with its bigger brother, the Titan XD, but there are some differences.

The half-ton Titan is built on a completely unique platform at the same Canton, Miss., plant as the XD, but it will first come to market only in crew-cab configuration with the Endurance 5.6-liter direct-injection V-8 under the hood. The Endurance produces 390 horsepower and 401 pounds-feet of torque.

Unlike the Titan XD, the half-ton Titan crew cab has a wheelbase that's about a foot shorter than the XD. We suspect that difference will carry over into the Titan's other two cabs: Single and King. Also, the Titan will offer only gas engines in the form of the new high-tech V-8 and a yet-to-be-announced V-6.

Similar to the Titan XD, the Titan will offer five trim levels — S, SV, SL, Platinum Reserve and PRO-4X — come in 4x4 and 4x2 versions, and will offer three different bed lengths; the two other cab configurations will join the lineup later in the year.

Pricing for the light-duty Titan will not be announced until we get closer to the on-sale date later this summer, but we've heard that Nissan is taking aim at Ram's aggressive pricing structure in the half-ton segment so things could get even more heated.

Manufacturer images

17_nissan_titan rear 1 II

17_nissan_titan int 1 II

17_nissan_titan screen 1 II

17_nissan_titan switches 1 II

17_nissan_titan rear seats 1 II

17_nissan_titan rear seats 2 II

Comments

Not sure if I like the wl4 wheeler hand grip shifter but I do like everything else about this truck. Looks very nice.

Nice truck! It will steal sales from Ford.

Like it

Wow, very impressive on the inside, makes me wonder why GM hasnt updated their insides yet, cuz this puts all of their stuff to shame, not quite military grade but very nice.....

Nice truck! It will steal sales from Government Motors

Has that awesome Dodge RAM stance...

That shifter, my gosh its the size of a baseball bat !!

Overall nice truck (kinda overdone)!

Should steal sales from Toyota !

Saw a XD at the auto show last Jan. The interior is nice but then again its hard to find a bad interior on a 45+K vehicle.

A foot out of the wheelbase? That's a lot.

Like the figures on the 5.6 and that its doing DI and gonna be thoroughly modern with all the tricks.

Much more interested in the stats on the regular 1/2 ton Titan since im not looking to spend 3/4 ton money for 5/8 ton capability.

Nice truck! It will steal sales from Ford.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Mar 24, 2016 9:00:35 AM

Maybe a few. GM will take the biggest hit on sales though. GM will have to continue their $9K off each truck sale to try and keep sales up with ultra low leases and finance options. Ford may have to offer more than just $1500.00 off but we will see.

I really liked the interior when I played around in the XD at the Detroit show- was a Pro4X trim. The cab dimensions appear to be a scoche smaller than the domestics and Tundra. I can't imagine the Pro4x and platinum getting the V6, so that will be only in the bottom trims. Looks like only one WB for the Titan, he XD will have (basically) the same for the Reg cab, but every other configuration will be its own different WB.
I like the column shifer- as long as the gate action is intuitive, its way better than some console wannabe or a dash knob.

Being a DI motor if it will have the carbon problem on the valves that gm has. Ford it adding port injection to there second gen 3.5 ecoboost to solve that problem of DI motors.

looks like pricing for the gasoline XD is available too:

@ LAMO : zero percent financing with additional selected discounts sounds pretty tempting for an trailer park boy , doesn't it LAMO ?

All cab no box....unless 6.5' useless. See them all the time ..2 bags insulation 4 2x4 and full up

Nice truck. Should and will steal sales from Ram and GM. No problem doing it either.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Mar 24, 2016 10:18:01 AM

Hmmmmm, that's weird, you mentioned trailer park and yet I could not find the Camaro in that link. You know the Camaro is the trailer park mascot. But you know that already because your wife drives one. Right under your carport. LMAO.

FYI, my wife and I are going on custom built house number 3. Not to bad for people our age. Should be great with the motorhome garage to keep our class A coach in and with a minimal mortgage we are in great shape for traveling while we are in our 30s and eventually our 40s. Who knows what is in store for us later in life.

How's yours working out? We already know you have a 09 Camaro and a trailer house. I guess the good thing is, is if you get evicted you can hook your house up to your truck and move it out yourself. Hahahahaha.

This will eat away at the GM Loser Twins.

Fuel economy numbers should be interesting with no AFM mentioned. If they can come close to GM fuel economy without it EVERYONE will sit up and take notice. If they can hit emissions targets without AFM/small displacement and turbos, they will have accomplished something GM, Ford and Ram have not.

Don't like it!
It looks like the bastard child of Ford and Ram.

Posted by: LMAO or the new.............. | Mar 24, 2016 10:48:14 AM

Got you beat on all accounts.

Especially with the brand of car (s) I drive.

Got you beat on all accounts.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Mar 24, 2016 2:02:20 PM

Yea I'm sure................the cars you drive? Now that's funny. Have fun pulling your home around with your little truck with your wife behind in her v6 Camaro.

Seen the Ford clowns are out in full force. Good job Nissan you got the Kids at Ford scared!

Posted by: johnny doe | Mar 24, 2016 3:10:39 PM

I see the welfare loser still cannot read. I see pretty much all positive comments on this truck. Get your mommy and have her read this to you after you get your homework done.

Time to put your Obama phone down little johnny welfare doe. Get your school work done. Don't want to support you anymore than I have to with my tax money.

Yawn, is that tool still talking to himself in multi posts? Yeah forgot his welfare Ford clown a## thinks he cool. End of the month is close so don't forget to grab your wellie check to pay for that house we gave you, oh and that cell phone LMAO clown.

Well johnny welfare doe, I see your 4th grade education didn't hold because your still using my lines about end of month welfare checks. I laugh at your complete ignorance. But cry because I have to pay with my taxes your good for nothing life style.

Isn't it about time that Nissan [and Toyota too] adds an Auto setting to their transfer cases?

Having sat in a Ford F150 King Ranch (and lower spec's) and the new Titan XD Platinum and Pro-4x I have to say the fit, finish and quality of materials in the Titan has Ford beat and beat badly. Pretty much the same can be said for Ram and GM.

Other factors, like ride, handling etc. I can't say as I have not test driven the Titan.

Never been on welfare as I said many times. You seem like have been, since you knew all bout the housing sec blah blah. Just remember to thank me, and a bunch of other peopleon here. When you pick up your wellie check at the end of the month. Have a nice night Ford clown.

Posted by: johnny doe | Mar 24, 2016 5:07:20 PM

This post is hilarious you say a lot of stuff many time. All of which have been proven as lies. Nice try 4th grade education loser. Maybe one day you will submit your application to be a Walmart employee and start contributing to society. Maybe you can be the toothless guy handing people a shopping cart at the door.

The vvel 5.6 won't have carbon problems

It has Ford beat all to hell i the engine compartment
but not in the chassis compartment

I want to see a Titan regular cab 4X4 in SL, or PRO4X with a 6.5' bed. I plan on buying one in 2018. The old lady drives a 2015 Frontier 4X4 SL long bed, and it is an extremely reliable very nice truck.