NHTSA Investigates Brake Failures in 2013-2014 Ford F-150s

2014FordF150recall[1]

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has opened an investigation into brake failures on model-year 2013-14 Ford F-150s equipped with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine. This potential recall action affects 420,000 pickups, which make up 36 percent of the total number of F-150s sold in those years.

In its investigation letter to Ford, NHTSA says that the complaints "allege symptoms of brake pedal going to the floor with complete loss of brake effectiveness, brake warning lamp illumination, and/or low or empty master cylinder reservoir fluid level with no visible leakage."

The number of complaints to NHTSA on this issue has accelerated in recent months. During the past 12 months, NHTSA received 31 complaints with 20 of them coming in the last seven months. There have been no reported injuries from the alleged issue, though four drivers have pointed to the brake problem as a reason for crashes.

The problem appears to be brake fluid leaking from the master cylinder into the brake booster, which causes the brakes to fail, but an exact cause has not yet been determined.

Ford's response to NHTSA reads: "We take the safety of our customers very seriously, and we will cooperate with NHTSA on this investigation, as we always do."

See the NHTSA letter to Ford here; check back with PickupTrucks.com for more on this issue as it unfolds.

Manufacturer image

Comments

Cobaltsrgreat he never specifically asked what he wanted to know. That lazy fat putz needs to be specific because he has a long history of arguing, being wrong, and changing up the subject to side track. I do find it funny you are interjecting for him. Another one of your loser user names?

Cobaltsrgreat, it looks like you have been using my username while on vacation and now. Looks like I might have to start using yours and start having some serious fun

Regardless of the truck you drive, I’ve learned that everyone has problems in life - being gay is just another one of life’s challenges.

It’s worse than some things, but better than others. I feel no regrets for anything that has happened in my life so far. I have finally learned to love myself. Coming out hasn’t made my life carefree. I feel that I’ve made considerable progress on my own personal path of self-acceptance and personal understanding.

To finally end, I like to say I don’t get angry or upset at people when they say awful things about the gay lifestyle or Ford trucks, in fact, I feel bad for them. They are the one that have to live their life with hatred in them, because all it does it eat you up inside. I can honestly say that coming out to family and everyone around me I love was the best thing I ever done. It was taking to much out of me, and I needed a peace of mind

it looks like you have been using my username while on vacation

Really, how so?

GMSRGREAT for me, my sexuality is really unclear. I know I'm not straight and that I am sexually interested in men, but I can't help feeling romantically inclined toward women. I also think many women are attractive but I generally feel more "turned on" by men. In fact I can stare at a picture of a naked women and just not feel anything sexual at all...it's kind of a weird feeling. Haha but men on the other hand...This leads me to think that I might just be gay. However, I have been in relationships with girls before and I feel more comfortable dating them. I also tend to act very normal I guess, so people are usually surprised to learn I'm not straight. So I guess you could say I'm confused or conflicted. I don't feel like I would fit in with a lot of gay guys either so I dont really feel comfortable identifying as just gay.

Even then, I cant deny that I also like how women look even if I dont feel very sexually attracted to them. Does anyone who identifies as bi or gay feel this way?

You do continue to prove yourself as a mechanic idiot. You claim to have worked with GM on powertrain components, claim to work as a fleet mechanic and have a whole lot of stories about this and that yet you cannot figure out how brake fluid from a master cylinder (bendix) can get into the power booster.

Posted by: LMAO | Mar 9, 2016 3:32:58 PM

Please , do tell us , how brake fluid from a master cylinder (bendix) can get into the power booster. Would you ?

I'm still waiting to hear what Ford calls Military grade aluminum, I've seen a few types used on military aircraft, but it's just a stupid catching term Ford uses.

Posted by: RAM | Mar 9, 2016 7:33:02 PM

What is the master cylinder bolted up to? What does the brake (not break) master cylinder have pushing into it via the power booster. What is the atmosphere like in the power booster? What direction is the fluid supposed to go and what is the issue described here. What is supposed to be in place to keep the fluid flowing in the correct direction and keep it in the section it is designed to be in.These are all basic systems. Cobaltsrgreat is so smart, he will tell you. How much of this is over his head to. Along with welfare doe.

@LMAO
That's, what I expected. You couldn't possibly know.

2015 Ford F-150 Recalled for Fire Risk

YUP! Still got it. BBQ on wheels.
Posted by: HEMI V8 | Mar 9, 2016 5:45:39 PM

I wonder if the 2016's will come standard with a military grade fire extinguisher.

@LMAO
That's, what I expected. You couldn't possibly know.

Posted by: RAM | Mar 9, 2016 8:11:46 PM

Furthest from the truth. I asked all the right questions to lead you to the answer. You have to know the answer to know how to ask the right ones. Pretty much showing everyone here that you, cobaltsrgreat, and johnny welfare doe are complete mechanical morons yet you 3 think you have a clue.

Lets see who uses this new name now.

Maybe GMSRGREAT is next

Maybe this one will work.

2015 Ford F-150 Recalled for Fire Risk

YUP! Still got it. BBQ on wheels.
Posted by: HEMI V8 | Mar 9, 2016 5:45:39 PM

Posted by: HemiFlav | Mar 9, 2016 8:22:33 PM

Hey look at that cobaltsrgreat, where is your Ford master of cover up?Its funny when hecklers post stuff that again proves you wrong and not knowing it

@LMAO or whatever you are doing
You didn't answer my simple question. If you don't know the answer, don't answer. Just don't call someone else a moron , because you feel like.

RAM, allow me to answer your question of how brake fluid can get into the brake booster. First, I have never ever seen this happen before. So this is one possible scenario based on typical vacuum assisted power brakes.
The master cylinder is an integral part of the completely sealed hydraulic brake system. The vacuum booster vacuum chamber is the second sealed component and typically receives vacuum from a running engine or pump. The booster is typically the large round canister mounted behind and attached to the master cylinder. So in order for fluid to get from the sealed brake system into the vacuum chamber you would need a failure of the seal at the input to the master cylinder and a failure of the booster vacuum chamber seal right behind the master cylinder. So in effect 2 items would have to fail to allow brake fluid into the booster. Now I must add that I haven't actually worked on an eco-boost so I can only assume they use the same system with maybe a vacuum pump to assist when the engine is in boost mode. See the diagram below on this link

Looks like that link didn't work. Just Google vacuum brake booster illustration or operation.

I have a 2013 F150 with 20k. Truck has been sprayed yearly, babied. Every year I go in to have rust removed and repainted on front and rear bumpers, drivers door. Pathetic.

I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado with 20k. Truck has been sprayed yearly, babied. Every year I go in to have rust removed and repainted on front and rear bumpers, drivers door. Pathetic.

I HATE FORD.

if that much brake fluid got sucked back into the engine, I would think you would see a lot of white smoke coming from the tail pipe?

It looks like master cylinder was poorly cast with bubbles or has been made from aluminium with wrong tolerances and when seals goes fluid goes.
This looks , like ford will needs to replace all 420 000 of them. Best never rest. Follow the leader. Ford is #1 and always will be.

Cobaltsrgreat, it looks like you may have a partial clue after all. I have yet to see fluid get into the vacuum chambers but I have yet to even look. Just a thought is the seal fails and it goes back into the booster and just fills up. There is no indication or reports that I have seen where it goes into the vacuum side of things. If that is the case the damage would be greater. Your looking at new lines and vacuum pump. That fluid can damage those items.

If anyone has seen a bad master cylinder before you can tell by the paint bubbling on the exterior of the power booster. That is the rear seal leaking. One type of failure. Ford usually has seals in place and the master cylinder will actually insert into the booster. So any leaks will go inside the booster. This is not hard stuff at all.

Posted by: RAM | Mar 9, 2016 10:59:25 PM

It does not have to be a casting issue at all. In fact I would be surprised to find out if it was a casting issue. Bad seals is the likely source of the defect. Wrong material, bad batch, or whatever. Casting flaw seems like it would show up right away. Not 2 or 3 years later.

Posted by: RAM | Mar 9, 2016 10:59:25 PM

Hey at least this isn't getting covered up like other manufactures have done. This could have been out of Fords control. These items are outsourced to vendors like everyone else's brake parts. I'm sure the vendor will be closely in the loop if they are not already.

2015 Ford F-150 Recalled for Fire Risk
YUP! Still got it. BBQ on wheels.
Posted by: HEMI V8 | Mar 9, 2016 5:45:39 PM
Posted by: HemiFlav | Mar 9, 2016 8:22:33 PM

I love the smell of burning F150 early in the morning!

They should be ashamed and punished. Its bad business to let an issue like this get to the NHTSA level and government involvement. Ford should have dealt with it on their own quickly and efficiently.

Ford needs to hurry up and fix it like they should have before it got this far. Especially before an injury or death.

Still (at this time) a minor recall/investigation compared to the Great Fiat Buy Back, or GM's Ignition but those were monumental in so many ways.

“We take our customers’ safety so seriously, we actually do something about it when people find out.”

RAM CAN'T HANDLE WORK.

Glad to hear that there were no "reported" injuries, but Ford should have come out with this sooner.

@DA
Desperate times for ford needs desperate comments.

@Warazawanga
That's actually a miracle.

Da is a desperate individual. His head is so far up ford's tailpipe he hasn't seen the sun in 12 of his 15 years on earth

Ford Recalls 4 Million Trucks to Fix Fire Risk!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon of Ca, CA on Sept. 15, 2015

Purchased a new Ford F-150 on 6/27/2015 from HemBorg Ford in Norco, Ca. External fan came on a few times as soon as the truck was started while we moved the truck in and out of our shop and would not shut off unless we turn engine off and restarted truck. On September 1 after picking the truck up from getting the decals the battery light came on. The following day I made a phone call up to our local mechanic to see if he could check out why the battery light was on since they are a half mile from where I lived. Pulled the truck out of the shop and let it run for about 30 minutes while I cleaned it to see if maybe the light was on because the truck had been sitting in the shop. I then got in the truck and drove off.

It is about 12 miles from our shop to the local mechanic shop but after getting on the freeway the Sync system notified me. I was going to lose power to some electric powered features or something of that sort. It didn't repeat it. It only said it once so I can't remember exactly. I turned off the radio and air thinking maybe it's a low battery issue. A few minutes later all the indicator lights came on and the truck lost power. I looked in my mirror to get over and to my horror I saw smoke pouring out from under the truck out the back. As soon as I pulled over the smoke was coming out from under the hood as well as flames were starting to come out too. I popped the hood and jumped out looking for my fire extinguisher and in panic could locate it. I ran to the front of the truck and tried to unlatch the hood, but the smoke and flames were pouring out.

A guy ran up and started with his fire extinguisher, but we couldn't get the flames down enough to get the hood opened. By the time the fire department got there, the front tires caught fire and blew into the field which started a 5-acre fire which did slightly damage some decks on a few homes. The fire dept didn't put any water on the truck because they were trying to save these people's homes and I watched in horror. The truck and all our equipment burn to the ground. Some people say why didn't we bring it in when the external fan came on but honestly most people would have even noticed it. I know because we own 9 Fords between our business and personal but since the truck was only at our shop and not in service yet it would be brought in before it was ready to go into service the Ford dealer.

Posted by: LMAO | Mar 10, 2016 5:13:53 AM

You have no idea how casting is delicate especially high pressure casting. I am a Mechanical Engineer specialty Engineering Technology.

Posted by: RAM | Mar 10, 2016 12:06:42 PM

I highly doubt that. You have never posted anything close that indicates any education. I do believe you are a sanitation engineer though. That I can believe..

@LMAO
It doesn't matter what you do believe. The seal is not there to take care of any significant pressure. High fluid pressure cracks material over covered bubbles and once the surface integrity is compromised, seal doesn't help and leak is extensive. If seal is defective, it would worn out slowly and leak would be very slow as well. Noticable by driver and still relatively safe. That's not the case in here.

@LMAO
Posted by: RAM | Mar 10, 2016 1:45:42 PM

Just like your opinion does not matter. I have yet to see anything remotely technical from you and when you tried you were wrong. Sure there could be bubbles and I never said no way. This is where your ego and reading has aN issue. You want to be right all the time so you read what you think you want to read. The inside bore of the master cylinder is also machined. You need the smooth bore with a piston of tight tolerance to hold the pressure. The seal just makes up the gap. Just like a hydraulic cylinder. You have o-rings but the tolerances do all the work. Automatic transmissions is the same. You should be very familiar with failed transmissions because you have a jeep. Are you on number 3 now? The most common failure I found was the seal tears or breaks. It doesn't happen at the beginning but when you have time on it. None of us knows what the exact fault is and it could be a casting issue. But instead of discussing what it could be you choose to be a foolish child and stomp your feet and say this is it and only it.

@LMAO
Well, you don't know about casting. The bubbles forms right under the very nice surface. Precission high pressure casting has very tight tolerances and very little machining is involved, that bubbles are very close to machined surface. It looks nice and smooth , without X-ray undetected. After few years of constant pressure and surface fatigue, it cracs and massive leak ocures. If that's a seal, it would be very slow and noticable by driver when warnings light comes on . That's not the case in here. No time to react, massive leaks and lost of brakes.
I am right again.

See I told you you are an ignorant fool that thinks he is right a the time. A seal can fail and fail in an instant. If it becomes brittle it is very possible it can break off or have large leak. A flaw in your theory is the amount of piston travel for a braking event. You say a bubble and that could be it. But that bubble would be localized to the weak spot in the casting. We are talking about high pressure but hydraulic high pressure and not high flow high pressure that could deteriorate metal along the travel point. Sorry for your ignorance engineer.

Another possible flaw is the bad spot could cause a leak but that reduced pressure would cause the pedal to travel a little further and maybe pass the bad spot. A seal would not matter where the piston is. It would leak along the entire travel.

Another possible issue is an internal crack along the bore travel. Not sure how that could occur with the no external leak found. The master cylinder is small and a solid piece of aluminum.

Nice try again. To bad you don't discuss but just try to be right all the time with no success on your end.

In your efforts to try to be right and stomp your feet like a 4 year old you also failed to identify a mechanical issue. Like a "c" clip that is not seated in the bore correctly or the machining was not correct and the clip suddenly comes out. Thus causing a possible sudden leak. Maybe an issue with the actuation piston rod failing in some form. See you may believe your an engineer but you do not talk as one. You do act the part though. That is for sure.

There is nothing to discuss in here. I am not an ignorant, but very well educated engineer . It's not a seal. I repeat one more time, seal is not there to take care of the high pressure at all. Piston takes care of that .
I haven't seen a seal to completely disappear in instant. I call it BS.
Ford will replace complete master cylinder on all 420 000 trucks, because it's defective and not just couple of O- rings.