Recall Alert: 2011-2012 Ford F-150

2011 Ford F-150 Blue

By Tom Torbjornsen

Vehicles Affected: Model-year 2011-12 Ford F-150 pickup trucks are part of a recall that affects approximately 184,000 Ford vehicles; affected F-150s are equipped with the 6R80 transmission and were built from Aug. 19, 2011, through March 9, 2012 at the Dearborn Truck Plant in Michigan and the Kansas City Assembly Plant in Missouri

The Problem: A problem with the output speed sensor on the vehicle's transmission lead frame could cause the transmission controls to force a temporary downshift into 1st gear. Depending on the speed of the vehicle at the time of the downshift, the driver could experience an abrupt speed reduction that could cause the rear tires to slide or lock up, resulting in loss of vehicle control and increasing the risk of a crash. Ford is aware of three reported accidents and no injuries related to this condition.

The Fix: Dealers will inspect the powertrain control module for diagnostic trouble codes tied to the issue. If no related diagnostic trouble codes are present, dealers will update the powertrain control module software, which will eliminate the condition. Additionally, as part of the corresponding customer satisfaction program, Ford will provide a one-time replacement of the lead frame at no charge within 10 years or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date. If related diagnostic trouble codes are present, dealers will update the powertrain control module software and replace the lead frame for free.

What Owners Should Do: The automaker did not immediately announce an owner-notification schedule. Owners can call Ford at 866-436-7332 for more info.

Need to Find a Dealer for Service? Go to Cars.com Service & Repair to find your local dealer.

More From PickupTrucks.com:

Manufacturer image

Comments

this is a disappointment.

I 've actually been thinking about finding a clean late model V8 pre-aluminum F150 and now this...

Hoping Ford handles this well enough to avoid damaging the brand.

There was a TSB to fix this in 2012 0r maybe 2013. It's a simple fix, but I'm glad to see Ford stepped up and is taking responsibility rather than leaving the owners fix it as needed.

Ford will take care of it.

Calm down people, this is not the military grade truck, but still Ford will take care it and it will be all good

@papajim
Don't play stupd. Nobody cares you have a viaagra on prescription.

I asked about source for your comment you posted.

"Sergio and his team have made a lot of moves lately that are showing signs of weakness. We've all heard about them.

Stockholders do like aggressive steps and moving to a newer larger plant sounds like a progressive approach.

Unfortunately RAM and Jeep are rapidly falling behind and asking buyers (and stockholders?) to wait till damn near 2020 to see some excitement in product development or on dealer lots is too long.

I still expect to see another Asian player introduce a half ton truck to the market in the next few years. Kia and Hyundai are my first pick, but it could be someone like Isuzu or Mitzubishi. No telling.

FCA's weakness is surely very encouraging to the Asians."

Huh!
This has been the problem with the transmissions since 2009, it effects all trucks from 2009 to 2014.
The blame is the transmission is learning and adapting to the way you drive and the fix was re-flashing the trans control module back to defaults to start it's self programing all over again like when the truck was new.

Papa Jim ? if you want a good used truck choose the 1997-2003 F-150
That's the best trouble free model F-150 ever made.

Papa Jim ? if you want a good used truck choose the 1997-2003 F-150
That's the best trouble free model F-150 ever made.

Posted by: Lou_DC | Apr 27, 2016 3:56:15 PM

SURE, never mind the RECALLS for FIRE. Not much left after that.

Ford is the leader in this area.

So is Chrysler. Burning jeeps and many recalls from Ram. Now over a million Chryslers cars being recalled due to them rolling off. Guy thinks it in park but it ain't. In all of my vehicles you can't get the key out unless its in park. How stupid can Chrysler be??? GM recalls, well we won't even go there now will we.

The ONE ford...otherwise know as military grade POS.

The ONE ford...otherwise know as military grade POS.

Ford is the leader in this area.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Apr 27, 2016 4:14:43 PM

You are right for once. Identifying an issue and removing off of the TSB list and onto the recall list because it turned out to be a bigger issue. GM and Fiat can take note about identifying an issue and making it right for the customer.

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

@Lou_DC
The F150's from 2009 and 2010 have excellent durability ratings. They had a few years where they were virtually tied for 1st in JD Power.

Ford fall apart after two years. They rust, catch fire, rattle, body parts fall off, interior desinigrates

Posted by: Jack | Apr 27, 2016 5:16:14 PM

Then why do they continue to dominate long term durability ratings compared to like trucks? If you don't like Ford stick with your fiat products. LMAO!

Huh!

Papa Jim ? if you want a good used truck choose the 1997-2003 F-150
That's the best trouble free model F-150 ever made.

Posted by: Lou_DC | Apr 27, 2016 3:56:15 PM

The 2011 and newer transmissions are not the same transmissions in the 2010 and older. Sure they share the same name but not design.

Posted by: LMAO | Apr 27, 2016 4:59:21 PM

It's 2016 ! And they knew about this in a TSB, what took them so long? It has led to 3 accidents that that they are aware of, you know there were more. When are they going to fix the braking issue, 2018, 19 .

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Apr 27, 2016 6:33:19 PM

I know YOU are fully aware that every company has problems and they come out with fix's for the techs. Just because they have a known issues does not mean a recall. Now when they determine that the issue is much bigger then it goes into further investigation for a possible recall. You are just tro!!ing when you know for an absolute fact that not every known issue becomes a recall. No different than some of our Suburbans. They have had GMs version of TSBs drivability repairs and yet no recalls. Some include fuel pumps. So what is your point. So go back to your little GM cave and keep promoting your ignorance.

Look for a recall on the new Transit van with the diesel engine. The injector pump is going bad on them and ruining the whole fuel system. Just picked up one that has been sitting at the dealership for six months waiting for parts. Dealership said it is not the first and more then likely not the last. Went out at 829 miles. I deliver these vehicles for a transport company and there are three other ones sitting at Ford dealerships waiting to be picked up after getting repaired. Just a warning to someone who may be considering one of these vehicles for purchase. Looks like Ford has a couple problems on their hands right now!

Good job Ford. It is a relief that some manufactures out there take care of their issues instead of waiting for them to get caught and fined from the govt.

So what is your point.

Posted by: LMAO | Apr 27, 2016 6:41:08 PM

My point is Ford's are dangerous vehicles to share the highway with. You have fords slamming on the brakes due to cruise control screw ups. Ford suddenly downshifting to first gear at highway speeds. Both the above conditions are very dangerous especially the Trans downshifting because that can lead to near complete loss of control. I see fords nearly every evening cruising with no parklights on. Why don't they offer automatic headlamps on all their vehicles. It is 2016 for cripes sake. Ford should fix their vehicles and stop endangers the lives of those who share the highways with them.

Ford is just covering up an internal mechanical design flaw of their transmissions by claiming it's a programing problem!
This information has been out for years and have been reading about on all the F-150 Forums.
Also they have problems with the front and rear windshields cracking cause of the cab flexing on the new F-150's
Also brake problems cause the rotors are garbage
Sync problems (your info system goes blank)
heater blower motor and resistor problems
eco-boost turbo issues
injectors breaking apart causing engine damage
electric steer rack problems
brake booster problems
upper ball joint failure (why is it always the upper ball joint)
water inside the tail light lens

shall I go on?

Why recall this? It's a great feature, one it saves brakes and two, it automatically makes Ford clowns smarter one head smash off the windshield at a time.

Good thing they got GM to do the hard work on the 10 speeds.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Apr 27, 2016 9:07:57 PM

The only thing you proved is you continue to be completely bind and love it. You really are a whole new kind of stupid. First off the cruise control does not slam on the brakes. That was a small limited recall with a system that slows down the truck but does not slam on the brakes. That is a completely made up comment on your ignorant side.

You also proved a point that Ford steps up when they identify a safety issue for their customers. When their internal investigations got to the point where the OSS was more of an issue than they thought, they brought out a recall to take care of the issue.

Fyi I have yet to see a newer Ford vehicle without auto headlights. Maybe the people in your town are as ignorant as you are and keeps their lights off in the dark. Kinda like you. YOU Have BEEN in the dark for a long time. No lights for sure.

@gmsrgreat, fyi I told you before about my 45th camaro, the key switchblade was recalled becasue it would shut off the ignition while driving, now thats dangerous

Posted by: Nitro | Apr 28, 2016 7:15:38 AM

True, but you still have steering and braking control, just not power assisted.

The Ford issues are taking control away from you.

What is your point GMsNOTSOGREAT, both vehicles have auto headlights. You can turn them off just like our GM vehicles.

In fact Ford vehicles turn on headlights when you turn on your windshield wipers.

GMsNOTSOGREAT, if you also want to compare safety features, Ford sync will call 911 for you in the event of a crash for free. GM you have to pay for that service.

Not good.

Get it fixed.

Only 3 notable incidents out of 184K take responisbility.

Don't wait for gov intervention or deaths like GM or a forced buy back like Fiat.

Do better.

@ LAMO : GM headlight will come on with vehicle moving. So with ford you have to turn on the automatic headlights. Oooookkkkkk!

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Apr 28, 2016 9:15:48 AM

Not sure what your smoking but I CAN TURN OFF our 2012-2104 Chevy Suburban auto headlights. I have done it on numerous occasions because of where I was. My buddy used to do it in camp grounds when he had his position Avalanche to.

*pos not position

@ LAMO : start engine, release the parking brakes, place transmission into drive. Tell me if the light are still off. Guess what they will be on, fully with the parking lights. So shut up!

By the way, Shut up in the urban dictionary mean ' wow '.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Apr 28, 2016 11:08:04 AM

Owners guide page 6.4 on how to turn off the auto headlights. 2012 suburban in my shop. Turn off the auto headlights and put it in drive. No lights on at all. So shut up.

Fyi GMsNOTSOGREAT, that is how we keep the backup alarm from going off when 5he trucknis turned off. Because GM lights up the reverse lights when you shut it off. So suck it

Posted by: LMAO | Apr 28, 2016 8:52:27 AM

HAHA! No you don't, Go read up on OnStar and if the event of a crash.

Are you guys arguing about headlights or day time running lights. my 03 Silverado, there is always lights on, at day running lights and at night headlights controlled automatically with light sensor on dash.. headlights have auto ,on, off switch.

Posted by: LMAO | Apr 28, 2016 11:23:25 AM

Try it again tonight at 11 PM with vehicle outside.

Try it again tonight at 11 PM with vehicle outside.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Apr 28, 2016 6:28:56 PM

You dont get it. I understand because you are just as dumb as RAM. YOU CAN TURN OFF THE AUTO HEADLIGHTS. I DID IT TODAY IN THE SHOP WHEN THEY KICKED ON AUTOMATICALLY FROM DRL MODE. I have done it on numerous occasions outside. So get it in your think dumb skull that you can turn off GMs auto headlights.

? LAMO : I just tested a 2013 silverado. You can turn of the headlamps in park. Select drive, the auto headlamps come on immediately. I have never been able to turn of the auto headlamps while my personal vehicle is moving.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Apr 28, 2016 7:33:49 PM

I don't know what to tell you. I can turn them off in drive and reverse. Even the owners guide says how to do it on page 6-4. It does not make any sense on why GM would not allow you to turn off your headlights at all. There are cases where you would want to do so. Like at a camp ground where people do not like you running around in the middle of the night with your head lights on.

@ LMAO: I'll try and dig up some more info on this latter.

@ LMAO: I'll try and dig up some more info on this latter.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Apr 28, 2016 8:01:25 PM

I do seem to remember some GM products where I could not turn off the headlights. At least not as easy as the 2012-14 Suburbans. I'm pretty sure I was able to in the 08 2500 Silverado too. The 05s maybe I could not. I may try tomorrow to see. But I have a long busy day tomorrow so I will have to see. I may be at one of the air bases where one of the 05s are. I may try it then if I get out there.

@ LMAO : O.K. , I think I know why we are getting different results concerning automatic headlamp operation. I'm not sure why but GM vehicles exported to Canada has the auto feature programmed and switch configured to operate differently. The headlamp switch default position is auto. The Off position has a spring which will return the switch to the auto position. I believe US vehicles has a off position with a detent that holds it off. ( you can update me otherwise) The auto headlamp feature will operate when the transmission is in gear (park brake released) or when vehicle speed is sensed in the case of a manual shift transmission.

You may be very correct on that GMSRGREAT between the Canadian and US versions. The 05 I was just in 10 minutes ago I could turn it off while driving. The switch is spring loaded though. The odd thing is, is the dash lights were on and no exterior lights at all. Not even DRLs. I did expect to see those on.