Ford Pushes 2017 Super Duty to its Limits

Super Duty Camper test 1 II

When you build a new heavy-duty pickup truck (meaning a three-quarter or one-ton pickup), you know it’s going to be pushed to its limits in ways no other type of vehicle is going to be pushed. That’s why the engineers at Ford find creative ways to test new pickups up to and past their limits.

Ford recently devised a clever way to test roll stability in its HD pickups at its Arizona Proving Grounds. Engineers used a custom-built mock-up of a slide-in camper to simulate a real camper to see what effect its higher center of gravity might have on the 2017 Super Duty. The simulated camper can be modified to weigh as much as 7,500 pounds, which is considerably more than any one-ton pickup is legally allowed to carry. The testing provided engineers with valuable data from high- and low-speed lane changes, mock slalom runs and emergency braking. The tests allowed engineers to fine-tune stability controls on the Super Duty.

We’re sharing Ford’s most recent test video, which demonstrates how Ford tests roll stability control on the 2017 Ford Super Duty.

Manufacturer image

Super Duty Camper 3 II

Comments

@LMAO,

That is just too funny, way to funny.

@ LAMO : Mechanics who fix are technicians. Mechanics who can't fix become fleet managers.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | May 11, 2016 2:10:20 PM

Actually no. Mechanics are people that are like you that change parts. Technicians like me have degrees, certs out the butt, and can diagnose the worst of issues. I Excell at networking and complex electrical dagnosis. Self taught transmission diagnosis and repair and diesel. I have head hunter calling me every year for different positions. I had my ASE by the time I graduated high school and thus the reason I have no respect for ASE testing along with L1 by the time I finished college. I increased reliability of the vehicles in my department by 42% with all of the same vehicles I started with and not counting the new ones acquired in the past few years. I seriously doubt you can even compare to what I am capable of doing.

Fyi, I name my price for work. That is why I make 4 times the average household income in my state.

Posted by: LMAO | May 11, 2016 2:33:07 PM

Seriously? Your a fleet manager. The only way you would be able to improve reliability of your fleet is to switch completely to a GM fleet. Drop the Fords!

You have no idea what I do. Yes I am a fleet manager that is white collar and Blue collar. There is not one thing in my shop that my techs do that I have not done first.

Switch to GM, that proves your an ignorant biased fool. Try running a report based on miles, engine hours to a cost per mile spread sheet. My department with my lead have developed one off specialty vehicles that you not not find in this country. We have vendors that can take my ideas and specs and build it for me.if you paid any attention to what I have said here in the past 8 months that our GM and Ford vehicles run pretty Beck and neck in reliability. I do stuff a simple mechanic like you can't even dream of.

Fyi, the GM and Fords are our small stuff.I go up to 50k

Posted by: LMAO | May 11, 2016 2:56:58 PM

It's good to see,that ford keeps you busy. Soooo, what did you learn from this video ?

Posted by: RAM | May 11, 2016 3:10:39 PM

Explain your original post first and your data before I go violin.

@LMAO
I don't want you to play violin. I asked, what did you learn from this commercial video. I guess, you don't know. That's all right .I didn't learn anything either. Have a great day.

In relation to the commercial video I watched, that limit is pretty low for Ford with stability control on.
It won't roll over, but will slip out of the road , because of extensive SC intrusion and wheels braking. Ford is a victim of laboratory controlled environment testing.

Posted by: RAM | May 11, 2016 9:51:45 AM

@LMAO

Posted by: RAM | May 11, 2016 3:19:20 PM

Here, so you cannot continue your back peddle. Explain your second comment I posted for you with data to back it up. Then I will give you my opinion.

That was just my opinion. Nothing to explain. Now I want to hear your opinion, what did you learn from this commercial video.

I do stuff a simple mechanic like you can't even dream of.

Posted by: LMAO | May 11, 2016 3:03:36 PM

There you go with your self praise and overhaul general drivel. If you paid attention to what I have said you'll realize that this simple mind has worked with some of the best engineers in the automotive industry. Some of the items I have seen and been apart of during development included steering angle inclination and yaw angles which are now part of stability systems. Auto transfer cases, development and improving emissions testing. These are just small samples of the technology I got my hands on that was 2-3 years before you finally heard about it coming to market. Hey, if you developed a wooden truck box liner, GOOD FOR YOU!

Posted by: RAM | May 11, 2016 3:56:32 PM

You made that statement. So what is low and how fast are they going. How were you able to make that assumption that the speed was low. You made a statement and not an opinion. So explain.

Ford is a victim of laboratory controlled environment testing.

Posted by: RAM | May 11, 2016 9:51:45 AM

How are they a victim of laboratory testing? What could they do different and how do you know they are not based on a 50 see promo video?

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | May 11, 2016 4:10:03 PM

Not impressed. You yourself said you just hung the parts. You were no part of actual development. I still do not know why GM hired Kelly services to have you hang parts and not do it in house. But good for you if you did. Not many people can claim that.

I do stuff a simple mechanic like you can't even dream of.

Posted by: LMAO | May 11, 2016 3:03:36 PM

Yeah get stuff hauled to your dad's house, and make him fix it. LMMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: LMAO | May 11, 2016 4:14:25 PM

You actually copied and pasted what I posted earlier. Your memory is obviously fading and dementia is setting in.
Anyway, here is what I said:

I installed and tested new / improved components and obtained test data results for them. I have seen things developed and tested and put into production and things that didn't make the cut. As I have said in the past, i'm not an engineer, i'm a technician..........

LAMO, there are loads of truck upfitters out there. If that's your thing, stick with it.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | May 11, 2016 4:38:20 PM

Hahahahaha, not even close to that. I have worked with some on projects and they screw up everything up. They really suck.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Feb 17, 2016 10:24:44 PM

As I have said in the past, i'm not an engineer, i'm a technician..........

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | May 11, 2016 4:38:20 PM

You may want to double check your qualifications before you continue. Your tune seems to change a lot. Just saying.......

Posted by: LMAO | May 11, 2016 4:11:42 PM

They could test ecoboost in heavy rain for all day long . Maybe you didn't have to drill the hole to the intercooler then. One splash doesn't simulate pulling in heavy rain.

Maybe they should use regular outside securing chains and bars, like everyone else uses for camper, instead of bolted structure to the main frame specifically designed for this commercial, so customer is not surprised, that some other part fails, when he uses standard camper securing system.

"The simulated camper can be modified to weigh as much as 7,500 pounds, which is considerably more than any one-ton pickup is legally allowed to carry."

Maybe they really should load it with 7500lbs instead of driving it empty, like this video shows.

That would be pushing to the limits in my opinion. This is just playing it safe and make commercial for PUT to grab it. That's what I learned from this video.

Posted by: RAM | May 11, 2016 5:20:27 PM

You obviously do not know what the actual issue with the 3.5L was. It was not the rain directly. It is moisture in the air. The intercooler was too affective so the warm moist air entering the intercooler drop temperature to much and thus released the moisture. Under normal operating conditions the moisture would build up until you step on it. When you hit higher boost levels the water would get picked up and would enter the engine.

So I now learned you do not know what you are talking about.

Posted by: RAM | May 11, 2016 5:20:27 PM

Since I own a motorhome I do not know how a slide in camper body is held into place. But I do suspect that since this is a proving ground where they want to test the stability control they want to first make sure that they know what the truck will do under those conditions. I also noticed that you really are not an engineer. You put to much faith into a 50 second infomercial.

Posted by: RAM | May 11, 2016 5:20:27 PM

I assume that there is no massive weight in there because I do not see it. But I will not speculate what that contraption does weigh. Again it seems you put to much faith in commercials which is ironic because you are claiming to be an engineer.

Soooo, what did you learn from this video ?

Posted by: RAM | May 11, 2016 3:10:39 PM

I do not see much to learn from this video. There is no side by side comparison with and without the stability control turned on. They claim high and low speed but there is no mention in the commercial at what speed they are showing. It is nothing more than a commercial where Ford is showing their potential customers some of the testing they do. Very little information but is dramatic to look at. Nothing more, nothing less. No different than the GM commercial that says they have a 4G wifi hotspot built in. No mention of the $40 a month plan that is needed for that on top of the onstar service. Or that Ford Sync will be a mobile hotspot using your smart device that is already connected to Data, for free.

@LMAO
See, it didn't hurt to admit it's just nothing telling commercial.
But why the fcuk do I have to watch commercial on PUT pretending I will learn something I don't know first ?

@LMAO
See, it didn't hurt to admit it's just nothing telling commercial.

Posted by: RAM | May 11, 2016 5:46:30 PM

No I just wanted to see your exact input since you started first. If you don't want to watch it don't. Just like I do not choose to watch the fiat commercial where they say they have class leading towing of 32010lbs. And that is 10lbs higher than Ford while they show a fully loaded 4 door dually towing a big tractor. When in fact the only truck rated for it is a 4x2 short wheel based dually that happens to be shorted than a max tow F150.

@LMAO
That would be fine, if they say, that this is ford commercial. I wouldn't watch it. But the headline says "Ford Pushes 2017 Super Duty to its Limits"
So the limit is: Frame structure of the shape of camper , bolted directly to the main frame , without any extra payload . That's pretty low limit like I said before.

Your tune seems to change a lot. Just saying.......

Posted by: LMAO | May 11, 2016 4:58:02 PM

I never claimed I could sing.

I never claimed I could sing.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | May 11, 2016 6:23:01 PM

Don't worry, I cannot either.

Posted by: RAM | May 11, 2016 6:11:57 PM

You do have the option of writing Ford PR a letter a liking them what you would like to see in their Comercial

@LMAO
I don't have to. I can just watch other truck manufacturers commercials. RAM has the best one in my opinion .

@ LMAO : Wow, Thanks for proving me correct. Below is the explanation from the supercharger installation instructions.

Why do I have a poor idle? Rough idle or high idle speeds are usually caused by a vacuum leak. It can also be caused by a more air into the manifold than the short duration cam will let into the cylinder. This causes the high boost level. The air piles up in the intake manifold and gives a high boost pressure.

Again, thank you, you really are pathetic. Anyway, stock arguing with an automotive mechanic and you won't always be proven wrong.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Feb 17, 2016 10:24:44 PM

Good find LMAO! Seems GMSRGREAT can't keep track of his lies. Claims he is not an engineer, but is a technician. Then right in this comment from Feb 17/2016, GMSRGREAT claims to be an automotive mechanic.

@ LAMO & I am a LOSER :

I am both a mechanic and a technician, who had the unique opportunity to work at a GM test facility. I know you both need every explanation spelled out for you. LOL ? So click on the link below that I have so conveniently supplied for you. It explains in detail the difference between a mechanic and a technician. Hopefully you both are intelligent enough to be able to piece together how an individual can become both.

LAMO is self taught in transmission and diesel diagnosis and repair LOL! How would you feel about that guy working on your 4L80E, Allison or diagnosing excessive smoke on start-up on your 6.7 powerstroke. After all, how competent can one become just by reading, " Transmission and Diesel diagnosis and repair for dummies". LMAO!

GMsNOTSOGREATGMsNOTSOGREAT i know this is over your head just like everything else but any automatic transmission is essentially all the same internally. The key that most people miss and that being you is the why. Anyone can replace a part. Just look at you, you have that job. What has given me much success in my career is I am able to figure out the why. Sometimes it is easy like a torn seal. But, why did that seal fail? Was the drum or piston warped, was it just seal failure? I cannot count the times I have to be called in for a transmission problem that was not the tranmission. The mechanics like you rebuilt the transmission but still it had the same set of issues. Guess what, the transmission does what it is told. You have to think of the whole powertrain when you diag. That is where I come in and you leave. I can think of thise things, you cannot.

You can say whatever you want GMsNOTSOGREAT, but I know without a shadow of a doubt I am much more capable than you will ever be at this kind of stuff. You, you are a automechanic at a jiffy lube.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | May 11, 2016 11:51:21 PM

Oh, I was wrong, you work here. LMAO. What a tool.

Testing... its important, its expensive, its time consuming, it demands effort and innovation, it seems to lose something when you brag about a new way of doing it to marketing...

I would think that innovations in testing would be closely guarded secrets for as long as possible to help prevent the competition from discovering your testing innovations or even improving upon them. Yea a massive device affixed to a HD truck outside with anti rollover outrunners on it is kinda simple and obvious and hard to hide so maybe it isn't such a big deal.

Do other manufacturers test for loaded/camper rollover stability? One would hope so. But maybe not all do. Maybe All do and Ford just started? Cant say from a marketing piece. Obviously Ford is currently paying more attention to crash standards than its competition as per independent test results.

@ LMAO : Did Ford consult you before they dropped their partnership with Microsoft and aligned with Blackberry. You probably would have solved all of their Sync problems for them.

Actually, i'm starting to feel a little ill . I think i'll consult a self taught doctor. NOT!........LOL.

I would like to finish by saying:
Mechanics who fix are technicians, Mechanics who can't fix become fleet mangers, car salesmen, fast food managers, warehouse personel, janitors. Not necessarily in that order.

I would like to finish by saying:

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | May 12, 2016 8:44:04 AM

And I will finish by saying parts changer Mechanics like you have no where to go but pep boys and jiffy lubes. But if it makes you feel better about yourself I will allow you to have that.

But as a side note I did have a job offer as a college instructor for automotive and light truck for people looking to get degrees in automotive repair. Automotive technology. But the pay was not high enough. Would have been neat though.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | May 11, 2016 4:10:03 PM

So in short, GM hired a pep boys class C mechanic as a vendor to hang parts for the engineers. Then you drove the vehicle around so the engineers could get their data. You should put taxi driver on your resume also.

Posted by: LMAO | May 12, 2016 9:57:59 AM

This is eerily similar to my experience, I too was offered a job as a college instructor for automotive repair. Not enough money. Earlier in life I was offered a job by Bear automotive service equipment to travel around the country and offer electronic fuel injection system training courses to independent automotive repair shops. Sounded cool, great compensation package but not a family man job. So in short, I just might be on your level.

Hmmm, sounds like pep boys was the correct choice for you. Since you can only change parts and drivextra cars for engineers. It would have been embarrassing for you to show up to class only to find out the students were smarter than you. Talk about a close one.

However being a BG rep would have been good for you. You are a good BSer so I'm sure you could have sold a few morons some induction flush.

@ LAMO : The main reason I began commenting on this site was to counter the drivel and incorrect information you continually posted. That God you never accepted that teaching position because you would have damaged a lot of careers and lives.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | May 12, 2016 11:33:11 AM

Man, talk about epic fail. I have proved you wrong so much that it has no longer fun anymore. It is becoming just sad. Especially the content of your post. "GM trucks are the bestest, Ford sucks". Yea good thing you showed up here pepboys.

Pep Boys, ahahahahaha

Manny, Moe, and Jack.....he was probably Moe.

So in short, I just might be on your level.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | May 12, 2016 10:22:26 AM

If that is the case, you would not be as biased as you are and be more open minded. Even old dogs like you can be taught new tricks.

@ LMAO, Frank and Clint: speaking of Manny, Moe and Jack. How are you 3 FORD clowns doing? LMAO!

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | May 12, 2016 12:48:28 PM

Why do you resort to copying my jokes? Make up your original jokes, oh wait, you have no originality just like Generic Garbage Corp.

Posted by: Frank | May 12, 2016 2:08:48 PM

Very true, did you notice the doe infusion into his comment. No imagination.
Not only does the new Malibu look like a fusion, the new Chevy equinox looks like cartman

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | May 12, 2016 11:33:11 AM

Must agreed, the tards on here never ever post links to back up what they claim or say. Just dumb meme pictures, but I guess that's all them 12 year olds know how to do. Run their pie holes with no proof or extra info to back them.

Hey LMAO dilhole I'm still waiting for that comment of you told me all this stuff but that Ford tech youtube guy. No link with date? Oh yeah I forgot your still 12 acting ten making up lies HAHAHA!!!!!!! Loserrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!