Best-Selling Pickup Trucks: June 2016

Sales-Header_Fords[1]2

Regardless of the swirling issues in the marketplace — the sluggish global and U.S. economies, negativism in the presidential election and uncertainty about the effect of the Brexit vote — most automotive analysts are predicting that 2016 auto sales will be the best we'll see for a while. And the pickup truck segment is a huge contributor to the record-breaking predictions for 2016.

Ford continues to dominate full-size pickup sales with all three of its plants running at or near capacity. Once again Ford has crushed its month-over-month numbers (2016 versus 2015), this time selling more than 70,000 F-150, F-250 and F-350 pickups. On the flip side, the Chevrolet Silverado slipped in June, but this isn't surprising considering that GM is being aggressive about making sure plant production is more in line with sales at dealerships. With average transaction prices up for both full-size pickups and SUVs, even as market share drops, GM is sure to see strong profits by year end. Still, it seems like GM could sell more trucks if it could get more pickups to dealerships. GMC seems to be in the same boat as Chevy: Average transaction prices are up and market share is down.

It's worth noting that the Ford F-Series full-size pickups outsold the combined Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra full-size pickup lineups in June; however, if you add in the GM midsize pickups, GM crushes Ford by almost 8,500 pickups for the month.

Midsize pickups, on the whole, are doing well with both the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon making a strong push; however, the Nissan Frontier — excluding the all-new Honda Ridgeline — is beating all pickup sales on a monthly and annual percentage basis, practically doubling it sales numbers when compared to June 2015. It has yet to pull ahead of the hot-selling Colorado, however. Additionally, the Ridgeline finally made it to dealerships in June; nearly 2,500 were sold, resulting in an increase of 35,214.3 percent from a year ago.

Toyota continues to struggle with Tacoma sales down for the second straight month. Tundra sales are also down, but we know those numbers will likely be lower than 2015 numbers because Toyota is pushing extra Tacoma production at the San Antonio plant where both pickups are produced.

Manufacturer image

PUTC June 2016 sales chart

Comments

GMSUCK - you sure sound like you're trying hard to even convince yourself!...LOL...just admit GOVT motors are still struggling from their bailout & continue to put out junk vehicles with trucks that vibrate & shake....LOL

Posted by: Lionel | Jul 1, 2016 8:31:06 PM

Only one that been struggling is Ford. For the past 3 years now, market share has dropped each year since 2013 for Ford trucks.

The guys who write for PUTC needed half a page of text to discuss the June numbers and still could not bring themselves to just say it. GM sold more.

Can you imagine what their office meetings sound like?

Posted by: papa jim | Jul 2, 2016 7:23:57 AM

Not only that, but they failed to mention that GM is widening the gap in total monthly sales. 7,822 more GM'S sold than Ford in May and now nearly 8,500 more in June. At least they used the correct word in respect to describing the difference. Wait, i'll need to copy and paste it, "GM crushes Ford by almost 8,500 pickups for the month", there you go.

johnnydolt, and yet Fords market share of the full size market is still larger than GM. I'd suggest to owners of the shakeradodo to begin a class action suit. If fca had to buy back trucks that couldn't be fixed, why wouldn't govtmotors have to do the same.

When Ford fixes or buys back all its shaking F series trucks tommy boy.

Ford bought back that truck in the second video, maybe learn to read or listen to what you post. How many junk trucks is govt motors buying back? The first video is going on 10 yrs old. For what its worth I can post links about acorn and finger damage to gm truck sheet metal, and you guys believe you can dump landscaping blocks into them. Lemmings.

Blah blah blah what ever you got to say to make you're self feel better kido.

@GMSRGREAT,

More like look at those Tacoma's selling!

Local dealer still has none on the lots, they cannot keep them on long enough. Toyota has capacity issues that cannot meet the demand which is much higher than GM's crap!

@johnny doe,

Tacoma owners would not lower themselves to drive a wanna-be off-roader like the GM's.

"Toyota has a 16-day supply of the Tacoma truck, and recently added a Saturday shift at the San Antonio plant that builds it."

Now that is tight! No wonder local dealer has none on their lots right now!

I agree with oxi!

@johnny doe,

Posted by: oxi | Jul 2, 2016 3:00:36 PM

Well some must, it's right there in black and white.

Does anyone know what percent of Ford's June sales went to fleet? Must have been a large amount as I cannot find the amount anywhere. Gm's was 18 percent. I suspect Ford does not want us to Know.

@johnny doepy - I guess this is not a pro-Ford site, all my last 5 posts were blocked no matter how civil I was to you sir (how's that)...let's see if this will go through...damn

Further proof F150 is more American made than RAM & Chebby/GMC shake;

Further proof F150 is more American made than RAM & Chebby/GMC shake;

Posted by: Lionel | Jul 2, 2016 8:58:36 PM

This just proves how dumb you are. The Chevy Traverse and GMC Acadia along with the Buick Enclave all rank above the Forth place F-150. Think Lionel, Think!

@GMSRGREAT,

Kogod is heavily biased and favors GM, it is not a reliable measure of anything but GM bias!

Cars.com index is more reliable and more fair!

Looks like chevy is continuing with their fire sale. 20%. Over 10K discount from GM for a truck. Not including what a dealer may offer. Looks like GM is running scared trying to pawn off their vehicles. They may need to work on more propaganda videos.

@GMSRGREAT,
Cars.com index is more reliable and more fair!

Posted by: oxi | Jul 3, 2016 9:03:12 AM

Kogod says its study is more accurate than the AALA’s for a number of reasons. For starters, under the AALA, a part only needs to be valued as 70-percent......

I prefer accuracy and facts over opinion. Remember, this was a university study, not a bunch of cars freaks who are easily biased.

Complete domination in canada by the fseries. Amazing increase over last year! Canada loves the f series. F series is the trucks of america and canada!

Cars.com index is more reliable and more fair!
Posted by: oxi | Jul 3, 2016 9:03:12 AM

Haha are you being sarcastic? Kogod lays all the numbers out and goes much more in-depth.

Of course you'd prefer cars.com's mickey mouse study. Vehicles that sell more get rewarded for it even if their actual domestic parts content is LOWER, hence how the Camry topped their list. They also ignore jobs created through R&D, suppliers, marketing, etc. So much for 'fair'.

@ Lionel
Fseries is 150-550
Heavy trucks are 650-750
Don't understand why you feel ford motors is the greatest, they maybe the biggest scams of all.

Ford and Gm are doing a lot new things from what i understand in the coming years if i was Ram i'd be a little worried

Curious on the real, documented, unbiased reasons why Ram doesn't do better?

Last I heard, a mid-size is not a Full size and shouldn't be added, .....

Posted by: Frank | Jul 5, 2016 1:33:55 PM

This Web site is called pick-up trucks .com. Full size, mid size, they are all "pick-up trucks". Seriously, are you really that stupid?

If the Silverado is so great, then why does the F150 always outsell it?

I'm tired of Garbage motors dumping their trash on the American people.

@LMAO,

Agreed!!

I have a Buddy who works for Chevy, well, he's a mutual Friend. However, I asked him if he had any Ford Raptors on his Chevy Lot.

He said, don't be dumb, nobody trades in a Raptor for anything Chevy. I said, yea, you're correct.

@LMAO,

Agreed!!

Posted by: Frank | Jul 5, 2016 5:48:31 PM

I also have a buddy with a chevy truck. Actually I have several friends with chevy trucks. I find that many of them have the same weird mindset. They feel they need to brag up their trucks and crack jokes on other brands. Kind of like here. The funny thing is one of them was cracking jokes when his transmission was toasted. I did have to gently remind him of his busted up chivy. My guess there is some sort of weird mind that goes with owning a gm product. Most of us really do not care.

BYE BYE GM see you in bankruptcy!

BYE BYE GM see you in bankruptcy!

Posted by: Nitro | Jul 6, 2016 6:49:57 AM

Ford pulling out all the stops and ramping up full size pick-up production just before a downturn in the economy spells failure. Fleet sales will sputter out as companies resort to even more cuts to budgets.

nissan needs to get the titan gasser out and fast. they also need to not stock fully loaded and optioned trucks on their lots. nicely equipped will sell over fully loaded.

wont buy ford turbo six
wont buy GM shoddy quality
wont buy toyota which thinks they sell gold
and as far as ram is concerned, they compete. but not as reliable as nissan

I can now answer my own question as what percent of Ford's June sales were fleet. 37% were fleet sales.(87700 units). 18% of G.M. sales were fleet(45900 units) Normally one half of fleet sales are rentals which see no profit. I think Chevy's bed commercial worked in June. Chevy gained 1.7 points of retail market share. Ford lost 0.7 points of retail market share.

Will Toyota be forced to change the Tacoma already? The Ridgeline sales will be big.

The fights in the comments here are just dumb. Trucks across the board are doing well, regardless of make. The sales figure wars are obviously in high gear, given the back-n-forth charges of crap product, "death wobble", etc.

As far as I'm concerned, pickup trucks are where the interesting auto industry battles are lately, given the innovations that are being made. And say what you will about the Ram's age; they are selling quite well given they are technically the oldest truck on the market. They have also been driving the push for light duty diesels and multi-speed transmissions.

That said, if I were to get a truck right now, it'd probably be a Ford or GM.

@Carpinions

I had to re-read your comment about three times and I'm sure yet if you made your point.

Trucks need a strong economy to sell well. That's because so many home-builders and construction personnel use pickups in their work. Even with record low mortgage rates, housing is limping along.

Then you made reference to innovation in the industry by referring to RAM. RAM is selling a truck that's damn near 10 years old. Their diesel is a joke. The V6 is a joke. Their V8 is getting pretty old but it is popular. They use a third party to build transmissions. Can you tell that I'm not feeling the innovation?

Locally here in central Florida, the RAMs are common on job sites as long as you're talking fleet models.

The city and county where I live has been replacing their F150s with RAMs but that's because RAM corporate is dropping their drawers to sell the fleet models.

Is that what you mean by innovate?

Let's be honest, if we're not counting midsize trucks as pickups, why the hell are we counting f450+ trucks for Ford? This will likely be another year that GM half-ton trucks out sell Ford half-ton trucks... You know, the vehicles the typical truck buyer that visits this page drives.

Here in Canada fords are discounted 15000 to 18000 Sierra and Silverado are discounted 10000 on some models. Need I say more

I just purchased the 1794 and I love it... I have had Ram, GMC and Ford trucks in the past. I remember the first Tacoma I purchased I thought WOW I am spending as much on this truck as I would a full size Dodge. It wasn't until I took it in for regular service is when I figured it out. They don't have problems like all my other trucks have had. The Toyota is the most reliable truck I have ever owned.

With all the computers in auto's now I am very afraid that most auto's won't be on the road in 15 years from now. The computers will all be outdated and not supported by manufactures. We are now driving computers not auto's.... So I hope my new Toyota will stand the test of time.

Last week, my 2013 Ram 5500 just burned up the CAT at less than 90,000 miles and cost me $3,000.

So I am doing a test on trucks at work. We now have a mix of trucks 2013 ram 5500, 2016 gmc Denali 3500 duramax, 2017 ford 550, old 2001 Dodge 3500, and now the 2016 tundra. We will be keeping track to see how they hold up.

I'm actually here for marketing research, I'm amazed that many of the comments on here are touting bragging rights... I'm not sure what to make of that considering the majority of the people commenting probably did not have a hand in the design, engineering or production of the vehicle....It's almost like saying... "well the sky beats out the sea because there's more of it. " Remember "Vanilla Ice" was extremely popular in the 90's, so in the 80's were pegged pants, shoulder pads etc.. be careful popularity doesn't always transfer to a good idea.

I researched used trade in values of comparable 2014 super crew pick ups in both Ford and Chevy (Edmunds). Using 30,000 miles, with more of a luxury PU (Lariat and LTZ), approx $35k for the Chevy, $29k for the Ford Lariat. Hmmmmmmmm. Why do GM cars and trucks always have better resale value than Fords? Cadillac versus Lincoln? Mustang vs. Camaro. I guess I must be pretty naive to look at cost of ownership when I purchase all of my GMs. And if you really study the numbers, Silverado and Sierra sales combined are not that much less in numbers. If you add all of the truck line sales, GM buries everyone. I like both trucks, don't get me wrong, but GMs have always been a more classy PU, way better gas mileage with the V8 (oh, forgot about the ecoboost V6 turbo, haha, niceeeeeeee). Lastly, i would be curious to see how many 30s through 80s PUs that are sold at the high end car auctions (i.e Barrett Jackson) are GM vs Ford, probably 20 to 1.

Couple things here folks. One- these sales figures include retail and fleet. To retain resale value GM has reduced their participation and have created some of the highest transaction prices in the business. Record profits! Stocks up! So pull up Automotive News for true retail sales and you will see who is doing what. Secondly, add up all the GM products you see in the list and see for yourself how GM is doing. All these trucks will serve your needs so just relax and pick your flavor.

well get this Ford may have sold 395,244 right? remember they have have the V-8 line of trucks and the eco boost line and they don't have Lincoln pickups like they did with the Mark LT which they stopped making. they also don't have the ranger anymore therefore the F-150 makes up for all of those since they have the V-8 and ecoboost options. sliverado has 237,652 sales with GMC sierra at 106,466 Colorado at 51,227 canyon at 17,362 and there is only 1 GMC per every 10 chevys. so if you add up the Silverado sierra coloardo and canyon you get 448,707 GM trucks sold in total there for GM sells more trucks than ford