Ford's New EcoBoost 3.5-Liter V-6 Offers Monster Torque

IMG_5023 II

Ford has released official horsepower and torque ratings for the standard 2017 EcoBoost 3.5-liter V-6 engine that we'll see first on the upper-trim levels of model-year 2017 F-150s and will then rollout to the entire lineup. The new EcoBoost will be paired with the new 10-speed transmission as well.

This new upgraded EcoBoost engine will produce 375 horsepower and a whopping 470 pounds-feet of torque, more torque than any other half-ton — including GM's 6.2-liter V-8 — in the segment. The new engine uses a more sophisticated twin-turbo system, a new direct-injection system and includes many other efficiency-centered technologies to increase the power and cooling capabilities. Additionally, the new engine is four pounds lighter.

As if that wasn't enough, the first-ever EcoBoost-equipped Raptor (due out later this fall) will get an even more powerful 3.5-liter EcoBoost (specific ratings not officially announced yet), and be partnered with one of the most sophisticated four-wheel-drive systems available to provide a huge boost in dirt, street, and rock performance and capability.

The new six-mode multi-terrain system offers Normal, Sport, Weather, Mud/Sand, Baja and Rock Crawl settings, where each mode offers unique traction and driveline parameters, so steering response, throttle tip-in, traction control, transmission shifting and much more change from mode to mode.

Ford also released another video (see below) to highlight some of the Raptor's new-found capability but if the traction system works half as well in the field as it looks like on paper, we're guessing there’s plenty more performance inside this new Raptor just waiting to be released.

Cars.com photos by Mark Williams; manufacturer images

IMG_5043 II

IMG_5024 II

IMG_5025A II

IMG_5028 II

IMG_5039 II

IMG_5030 II

IMG_5031 II

IMG_5035 II

IMG_5045 II

Comments

Good job Ford!!...the best never rests!!

Looks like it would be a ton of fun in the right locations.

More bent frames and denied warranty claims.

The more GM and Ford one up each other, the better off we all are. The rest are just pretenders.

More bent frames and denied warranty claims.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jul 11, 2016 4:03:58 PM

@GMSSUCK; Any fix yet for GOVT motors chebby/GMC shake??!!...I guess not, only fix they can offer is wait a couple years for next generation redesign with aluminum & turbo-charges this time...ha, keep following the leader...hahahhaha

GM is shaking

I actually expected more. It will definitely be a strong pulling engine. Keep in mind that GM has had a 465hp 6.2 in the 'Vette for a couple of years already. However I would be surprised if GM did anything to their trucks engines for a couple more years unless forced to by EPA regs. GM sticks with a good engine (think 6.0- unchanged in at least 9 years, 6.6 Duramax- unchanged in 6 years performance wise) sometimes too long.

The 6.2 from GM just said "goodbye".lol Poor GM, guess theyll respond to this in about 3-4 years.

470 pounds-feet of torque, so when it goes into limp mode driving in the rain or parking lot puddle. You have some power to limp home.

470 pounds-feet of torque, so the 6 mile long timing chain breaks faster.

I've owned a few trucks from each of the main 4 truck brands which includes Toyota. When I purchase a new truck I do months of research on reliability, economy including cost of ownership, performance, comfort and advanced usable technology in that order. I love when a truck blows through previous barriers as it gets the others to improve. I'm not loyal to any brand. I personally don't see myself picking a Raptor, but I'd sure love to drive one. Those who complain the most about other brands probably didn't do a lot of research for their present purchase and believe by putting other brands down they think they are raising theirs. How transparent.

LOL it sounds like a 90s Honda civic WEAK!

I was expecting over 400 hp. and 500 torque.

I am sure that earlier reports had the Raptor version getting at least 450hp. I wonder if that has changed. I am also wondering how they raised the torque so much without raising the hp more. They must have reduced the RPM or have torque drop off more with RPM. I just hope that it still runs well on 87 octane.

More power should mean less fuel economy. My 13 ecoboost burnt 10 more gallons per week than my current truck. towing the same load on the same routes. I think the 10 speed will make it better. My 13 eco was full on custom tuned by More power Tuning. it made more power than this. was 510ftlbs 404hp would break the tires loose shifting into third WOT. I sold it because it sucked. it was lame stock. when I tuned it it was about the same fuel mileage. just tons more go. It didn't tow as good as my current ride no matter what. More gears is better IMO. now they have the 10 speed I cant wait to try one. the current truck I have is a v8 8 speed and I don't need a tune. it runs like a high output engine should. and the engine size makes it feel more in control when your going down. going up turbos spool hard and you cant believe the power. the 8 speed v8 I have now does a really good job. it isn't as fast but its not far off. I enjoy the v8 better towing. I would buy another ford if it is better than what I have but I really like what I got. a lot more than the 13 f150 eco too

Breaking news!!!! Don't park any where near chebby trucks when attending Nascar races. They have a tendency to burn and burn real good and do it on national TV so everyone in the world can see it. If you value your car or truck please park way off from chebby trucks!!!!!!

I was expecting over 400 hp. and 500 torque.

Posted by: jchi4 | Jul 11, 2016 5:11:23 PM

I'm sure they can & the new GT eco-boost figures prove it. But I believe by design they retain the full potential/capabilities for future planned upgrades when the competition up their power plant numbers...

According to all other sites this is for the f150. No numbers have been given for raptor. But this site has fallen apart as of late anyway.

LOL it sounds like a 90s Honda civic WEAK!

Posted by: johnny doe | Jul 11, 2016 4:51:59 PM

Do worry, Ford has tuned the stereo to play a 6.2 sound track. LOL.

Paging Mike Levine.

This article makes it sound like the Raptor is getting the 375hp engine. It's not - these numbers are for the standard F150 and the Raptor will get the high output version, rumored to be in the 450+ range.

Posted by: Robert | Jul 11, 2016 4:40:10 PM

6.2 is still the most powerful engine available in a half ton. 420 HP, 460 ft/lbs. It's awesome.

I think you're all missing the point; a V6 putting out 470 ftlbs is incredible - that's close to the 7.3L Diesel numbers, and this has more hp.

And with 10 gears it should be unstoppable & more efficient. Not that efficiency matters when you are comparing this to the big V8 from GM, which have no way of sippping fuel, only sucking it down.

leave the 6.2 in the dust...again.
Posted by: Lionel | Jul 11, 2016 6:12:54 PM

I don't seen no dust, just lots of smoke though. When the eco boost timing chains snaps and puts a hole in the cover etting oil run every where. While pistons and valves slap together. :D

That V6 Ecoboost engine was good enough for the Ford GT's to win LeMans. The Chevy Corvette big block V8's didn't even make the top 10. LOL

The Chevy Corvette big block V8's didn't even make the top 10. LOL

Posted by: Blueman | Jul 11, 2016 7:16:00 PM

Just so you know, the Corvette Lemans engine is a 5.5 liter small block engine.

At 420 hp and 460 ftlbs the 6.2 couldn't perform hang with 365 hp and 420 ftlbs torque. The second gen 3.5 will completely crush the LT1 V8 GM pickup in every performance aspect.

Yeah it could

No. 1: 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT, 6.2-liter V-8

I have yet to see a head to head where the GM 6.2L didn't outperform the 3.5L EB in both acceleration and fuel economy.

Just so you know, the Corvette Lemans engine is a 5.5 liter small block engine.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jul 11, 2016 7:47:07 PM

@GMSSUCK; ...& couldn't even come close to beating a small little 3.6 V6 let alone making it in the top 10...hahaha....geez that sucks :-(

Posted by: Lionel | Jul 11, 2016 8:05:41 PM

Twin turbo small blocks will make over 1000 HP. Just keep'in real.

An excerpt from johnny's link above.

What They Liked
The powertrain: "The hot-rod 6.2-liter engine and eight-speed transmission are a match made in heaven," Bruzek said, "capable of making a maxed-out payload feel nonexistent." "The engine and transmission are synced up like a smooth-flying jet rocket," Williams added. And Smith liked "the fuel economy and power the 6.2-liter and eight-speed combo provides." "I love the sound of the 6.2," Sundling noted.

You wouldn't expect anything less from the truck leader, GM.

Meanwhile Toyota is still running HP AND TQ from 2007 on the Tundras and no pushbutton start

More bent frames and denied warranty claims.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jul 11, 2016 4:03:58 PM

Could be worse. The bent frames were from extreme jumping off road. GM truck,van and suburban frames are just rusting through and gm won't fix it unless it is under 3/36. Current trucks back.

Twin turbo small blocks will make over 1000 HP. Just keep'in real.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jul 11, 2016 8:15:40 PM

So does inline 6 cylinders, boxer 6 cylinders, v6s, inline 4 cylinders, and boxer 4s. So what is your point. That's right, nothing.

Nothing to be scared of here. All I see is blown head gaskets/broken timing chains and a v6 that can't out MPG a big v8 in the real world.

Till they figure out how to fix it, not a thing to be scared of.

When's GM finally going to catch up with Ford? Maybe after their next bankruptcy.

Just so you know, the Corvette Lemans engine is a 5.5 liter small block engine.
Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jul 11, 2016 7:47:07 PM

215cid V6 vs 330cid V8 small block vs big block. LOL

They are runny scared and trying stir the pot.

Posted by: LMAO | Jul 11, 2016 8:43:27 PM

Stirring the pot, but not running. Unless your talking about my Silverado tail lights fading in the distance as your ecoboost falls behind. Remember 6.2 has 420 HP. LMAO.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jul 11, 2016 9:06:11 PM

Or maybe the chevyshake is knocking the incandescent bulb filiments loose.

Remember 6.2 has 420 HP. LMAO.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jul 11, 2016 9:06:11 PM

Last I checked doesn't the F150 have a higher top speed with 55HP less power?

Last I checked doesn't the F150 have a 55HP less power?

Posted by: LMAO | Jul 11, 2016 9:10:50 PM

Yes that is correct.

Last I checked doesn't the F150 have a 55HP less power?

Posted by: LMAO | Jul 11, 2016 9:10:50 PM

Yes that is correct.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jul 11, 2016 9:14:43 PM

And higher top speed.

The two GM Fangirls have come completely unhinged.
Shakey times at GM, LOL have become even more so in light of this release. Wait until the next half ton challenge, it will be hair on fire. Maybe thats what happened at the NASCAR track parking lot.

Either way coolant goes where it shouldn't go.

Yeah!

In desert racing speak, it gets you to the rock that puts you out of the race faster!

Is this engine similar to the Ecoboost that they put in the Ford Flex station wagon/minivan?

Hope they have the algorythms sorted out for the 10 speed. The extra cogs are hardly needed for a hi output engine trans combo.

Chebbies will burn at nascar races and do it live on national TV. Thanks for the fun chebby!!

Chevy tail lights fading ?? They still having them burnt out light problems ??

Its hilarious that Ford is putting up power with a 3.5V6 that GM can barely and in some ways cant compete with a 6.2 V8. A 6.2V8 that only appears in about 10% of their 1/2 ton trucks... versus the ecoboost being in 40+% of the F150s... not to mention all the car/suv/crossovers the 3.5 EB lends itself to.

The 6.2 is literally a dinosaur in size, and most importantly the infrequency you see it.

Everyone seems to be missing the fact that engine that GM actually does sell to most half ton buyers (the 5.3V8) is a joke compared to the 3.5 V6 EB. Or that the V6 GM does offer in its full size trucks is laughable...

Yea GM fans keep playing the 6.2 card the engine that only 1 and 10 actually buy and now its behind in torque...