Will Forced Induction Be Forced on You?

TTT 10_11 (002)

By G.R. Whale

I remember attending press conferences where the manufacturer suggested it would "never do [blank]" and the blank was turbo, diesel or hybrid. Nowadays, I can't think of a BMW without a turbo. Both BMW and Porsche do diesels; and most manufacturers that lack a hybrid have gone straight to full electrics — or are on their way, prodded by Tesla early adopters and the corporate average fuel economy credits they need to use.

The debate continues over turbochargers and superchargers. Either one makes a small engine behave like a larger one because more air is being stuffed in — the main difference being whether the device uses exhaust or mechanical (and very soon electrical) energy to drive it.

Pickup truck manufacturers are taking different approaches. Ford's strategy has involved a smaller turbo engine for its popular F-150 and Expedition lineups, while Ram and GM use cylinder deactivation to make bigger engines sip fuel like smaller ones. Nissan has done factory-supercharged V-6s and Toyota's TRD arm offers supercharged V-6 and V-8 systems with a sizable warranty.

You know they're coming and you won't have any choice, but do you care? Which do you prefer for your next gas V-6 or V-8 pickup — turbochargers or superchargers? Let us know in the comment section below.

Manufacturer image

Comments

it's all the same. only the details are different. more efficient and lighter engines.

"Which do you prefer for your next gas V-6 or V-8 pickup — turbochargers or superchargers?"

Turbo my 5.3L v8, turbo a 6.2L or supercharge, it will be to funny to watch Ford fans jaws drop when a turbo/supercharge V8 Ram/GM out does their 90s Honda Civic sound egoturd V6 trucks in fuel mileage while running circles around it.

7.0L V8 with cylinder deactivation, direct injection with variable valve timing. Yeah!

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Oct 11, 2016 11:14:10 AM

Yeah!

Why no turbo or supercharged long stroke engines. The 400m is a square engine with 4 inch bore and stock.
My 400m already approaches 400 ftlbs if torgue at 2000 rpm.
Its long stoke and low compression already gives it much better fuel mileage than comparably sized engines. Give it some charging to improve both low end torque and HP And it would be a perfect towing engine. Its only fault stock is miserable HP numbers.
I have always gotten about 17 mpg empty and 12. Towing 5500 lbs in mountains from here to coast on 2 lane road.
It certainly wouldn't be capable of charging without modern improvements. But a 4 inch square v8 with charging seems perfect with modern electronics for smog control.

Turbos-either electronic or exhaust.

Depends which is more reliable and less complex. Number of cylinders doesn't matter so much as displacement.

Of course they will be forced on us, so they will not last as long and you will have to buy a new truck every 3-5 years!

Naturally aspirated is the best way for long-term reliability!

I prefer V8. Thanks. If everyone goes Turbo junk V6 and only one manufacturer sells V8 then that is what I am buying. Even if its made in Mexico China whatever

Naturally aspirated V8's for me. If Ford drops the 5.0 from their lineup I'll switch to Ram without hesitation.

Some of you guys are very ignorant.

Just say NO to turbos!!!

Sense government motors is a follower you might have a opinion on this article same to gmsrjunk and the Sierra guy.

Turbo my 5.3L
Posted by: johnny doe | Oct 11, 2016 11:27:12 AM

You don't get to talk turbo because you said turbos were bad.

Exhaust driven turbos fail, period. Whether the heat gets to the bearings or the oil cooling lines get coked up with burnt oil particles, they fail and are extremely expensive to replace. The metallurgy required to make a reliable turbo is very expensive. Give me a naturally aspirated engine.

Turbo my 6.6! Oh wait, it already has one.

Turbo diesel. Going to jump to a small dump truck since that's the only way I can get towing and payload without all the stupid doodads and fatboy features in full-sized pickups. Then can use an old crossover for the light-duty hauling from the DIY stores.

Turbo diesel for me, gas engine should be put away for good

Turbo gas. Going to stick to a full-size truck since that's the only way I can get towing and payload without all the stupid doodads and fatboy features in small dump trucks. Then can still use the same truck for the light-duty hauling from the DIY stores.

Smaller Turbo engines

More torque throughout the rpm range, better high altitude performance, and less moving parts.

You can't force people to buy vehicles with gas turbo engines______________________________ http://www.businessinsider.com/ford-shuts-down-mustang-factory-for-one-week-2016-10

May see more GM 6.2L being produced. Earlier this year the automaker said it would spend $148 million to make small block 6.2-liter, 8-cylinder engines at Spring Hill,_________________http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/10/11/general-motors-gm-spring-hill-tennessee-manufacturing-jobs/91896046/

I will never own another N/A engine in a truck, or car if I have the option. I love it. Although the small turbo diesel engines in half ton trucks aren't really my thing. I'm glad the option is there for other people, I prefer more performance than the gas mileage thing. To each his own right.

Does it matter how many 6.2's they make if you can only get them in the high optioned trucks, or do you think that could change?

I don't know much about superchargers, but they don't seem to be as efficient as turbos. We have many trucks, tractors, combines, etc. with turbos and most of them go thousands of hours or hundreds of thousands of miles without a turbo problem. I think the ecoboost has been a great success. IF YOU HAVE A LIGHT FOOT you can get great gas mileage PERIOD. I would like it if ford had an economy mode that limited the throttle response or the turbo boost. Make it so that you can easily deactivate it by pushing the pedal to 85 percent or something and make it so that when the truck starts it is not on so that you only have it on if you want it on. That would really help people get better fuel economy I think. No doubt they are capable of great fuel economy, but too many people with lead feet complain about poor fuel economy.

I'm ready for GM and Ram to join the party with their turbocharged V6s. No doubt they are coming before long. Ford needs some competition there. The GM 6.2 V8 with cylinder deactivation is great but too EXPENSIVE. I'd be all for that route if they were less expensive, and the cylinder deactivation seems to be hard on the engine. Or maybe it's something else that is causing excessive oil consumption on the 5.3 v8. My 5.7 hemi with cylinder deactivation still only gets 15 mpg and has excessive oil consumption too. The turbo v6 seems to be the best route overall.

as for diesel. They are no fun when it's cold. Too many bad experiences where we couldn't get a diesel engine started in the cold. Plus the added expense of the fuel, and the def, and the expensive high pressure fuel delivery system, and the extra emissions stuff that adds cost at purchase and more that can go wrong. On our newer farm equipment all the emissions garbage has made them less reliable than the older equipment. Now you have this big expensive system on the engine that can easily have problems or CAUSE problems where our old equipment simply didn't have any of that to worry about. Deere, case, massey ferguson, new holland. They all have issues with the emissions equipment. In fact we had two tractors this week that had to have work done on them because of an emissions related problem.

You don't get to talk turbo because you said turbos were bad.
Posted by: Scott | Oct 11, 2016 1:08:10 PM

When did I say turbos are bad?

Drive and EcoBoost and you'll be sold on turbos. If you refuse to drive one... then you really can't talk about them now can you?

I have a 3.5 EB and I love it. I am not brand partial! I have had a Ram, Mazda, and Silverado.
My Ford EB puts those to shame. Closed minded people will never change. Getting a bigger engine will not change your manhood. Get over it.

To me what is so appealing about the GM V8's is that they are easy the service, repair and maintain. I keep my trucks until they are no longer worth the time and money to repair, after 24 years of very reliable service from my 1988 K1500 with 5.7L V8, I got rid of when I wiped out the trans at 283,000 miles. My 2003 Silverado 158,000 miles with 4.8L V8 has never had any major repairs and never left me stranded, The same with my 1999 Silverado low miles 77,000 with the 5.3L V8. So you guys trying to tell GM trucks are crap I cant believe you when all three of my GM trucks have been great with two still going strong. Who cares if your 2 to 4 year old truck has been good so far, to me it matters how good of a truck you have when it's 10 or more years old.

These miles on these trucks are not country miles, I live in a somewhat congested suburb a lot of short trips and stop and go traffic. My biggest concern of an turbo engine is this type of operation. With almost 20 years of operating heavy equipment one thing I know is turbo's do not like to be shut down when hot, it causes premature ware, may be different with these engines don't know. So till someone convinces me other wise its a naturally aspirated V8 for me. But I must admit a twin screw super charger on my 99' is in the pipe line, My Baer aluma sport brakes and 4L80E trans are just waiting to tame that forced induction LS power.

If we must move away for NA engines (a move about which I am not convinced), then SUPERCHARGERS. Why?
1) Can be electrically powered*;
2) Have no turbo lag*;
3) Show less heat build-up in the engine and engine bay;
4) Can be made with higher precision;
5) They run cooler;
6) Can provide a higher boost for greater HP and torque;
8) Have a record of being more durable over the long term.
9) Can "easily" be added as an after-market item

BUT:
1) Yes, they are more expensive (~$5000 or more);
2) Yes, they are somewhat parasitic (less so for turbos);
3) Typically take up more space in the engine compartment.

Why do you think GM uses a supercharger for the C-7 Z06 Corvette; or tuner Callaway then also uses a supercharger to push that Z06 engine to 750 HP?

ref: http://www.callawaycars.com/homepage/cars/callaway-corvette/

-------------
* Years ago I put an electric Judson on my 1968 VW bug. Could control its RPM by variable voltage at idle. Preloaded the carb with a large charge before taking off at red lights. (It then idled badly and shook all over!). NO LAG AT ALL. Wanna see a little sleeper bug leave 50-feet of smoldering rubber?
-------------

======================

Yes. One of the reasons I like my Ecoboost is it is easy to maintain and repair....Change my synthetic every 10k. Change my filter every 5k. I just go to my Ford dealership and it is all handled lickety split and the cost is very reasonable. Plus they go over it with a fine tooth comb. And they wash it to a dazzling shine.
Repairs???? Hmmmm....at 110k miles...none:)

2011 F150 SC 4X4 Ecoboost long bed

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Oct 11, 2016 11:14:10 AM

That or the camless engine. Bring it GM!

"You know they're coming and you won't have any choice, but do you care?"

Ford is the only one forcing Turbos. Their V8 is an after thought. They charge you more for their V6. Go figure.

I drive a 2500 so their is no MPG hoops to jump through. If their is no more V8's offered then anyone can make the choice to rebuild the one under their hood.

V8 is an all American engine. Since manufacturers except for Dodge have only a few models with V8's it's no wonder trucks are the number one vehicle now. Americans like power. Their is nothing more American then a good old V8. I don't plan on driving anything less in the future.

You don't get to talk turbo because you said turbos were bad.
Posted by: Scott | Oct 11, 2016 1:08:10 PM

When did I say turbos are bad?
Posted by: johnny doe | Oct 11, 2016 4:20:54 PM

Yeah!

While you cannot deny the awesome power that blown V8's make the these days, where economy is at all a concern (mainstream, high-volume vehicles) mechanical charging has no chance. Turbos have come a long way in reducing lag times- when combined with a (auto trans) kick-down, torque is almost instantaneous. Almost. GMs 6.2/8speed combination thoroughly thumbed its nose at those who would say that a big, 2-valve, pushrod engine can't deliver power AND economy at the top of its class.
The next few years should be interesting. Ford is first out of the gate with their reworked EB3.5 and 10 speed. Nissan has big hopes for their high-tech V8 and 7 speed. GM will have a version of the same 10 speed as ford soon enough. Chrysler will be replacing the Hemi at some point, probably with a smaller turbo engine. Toyota will have DI and VVT-iW (mimicking Atkinson cycle) and an 8speed on their Tundra.

I say yes and enjoy combustion engines now before the communists force e-powered truck on us!

However as Ford is perfecting turbo technology .....

Posted by: Lionel | Oct 11, 2016 4:00:30 PM

How long will that take? How long has Ford been offering brakes on their trucks and they certainly haven't perfected that. LOL !

Turbo Diesel. Preferably in a smaller package, say less than 4.5L

By the way, I love the 2.8L Duramax in my Colorado

Whether you like it or not, forced-air induction is here to stay...

Until it gets replaced by something even more efficient. For some, that may be fuel cells, for others, batteries. Maybe, some day, maybe even some form of broadcast power such as predicted by Nikola Tesla over 100 years ago.

Just want to see what happens with the Ford EB after 150k miles,
nothing compares to the reliability and sound of a NA V8.

@Alvaro, 150K miles, who keeps trucks that long? I
am done after 60K.

@Alvaro, 150K miles, who keeps trucks that long? I
am done after 60K.

Posted by: Nitro | Oct 12, 2016 9:07:41 AM

GM owners keeps trucks 150K miles. Haven't your listening. But if your a Ford owner, I would agree with you 60K is the cut off, save yourself.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Oct 12, 2016 9:46:25 AM

GM owners have to. They sink so much money in keeping their junk on the road they cannot afford to buy new to get out of it. Let alone toys to be pulled behind the truck.

Posted by: LMFAO | Oct 12, 2016 11:01:31 AM

Like this guy here.....

Poor quality in my GM vehicle
Larry Moore
Larry Moore
892 views
Published on Sep 1, 2014

After the fourth door handle broke and the other annoying quality issues with my 2007 Chevy suburban LTZ I can no longer contain my self!

Comments • 12
Default profile photo
Add a public comment...
Larry Moore
Larry Moore1 week ago
Update: Quality problems persist. Two more broken door handles since this video - they just wore out. New engine at 180K miles at a cost of $8,400! I was over a barrel on this one. To me, a high quality car or truck is not be shot at 180K miles - I have never owned a vehicle where this has happened as I am very diligent on maintenance. The engine started to miss and idle real rough so I took it too a trusted mechanic friend of mine and to my shock, he thought the engine was tired. I couldn't believe it. He then suggested that I go to the dealership for a second opinion. The Clyde Revord GMC dealership in Everett, WA is really a very respectable organization and very ethical so I went there and they reached the same conclusion. At first we were hoping for either a bad solenoid on one of the cylinders or a broken valve spring and sadly none of that was the case...something inside the engine was bad. So I had two choices: 1) Buy new rig at $70+K (not!), by used ( not an option since I don't know the mechanical history on something that would fit my budget between $20K and $30K, or 3) replace the engine for $8,400 which also gives me a 3 year 100K warrantee. We chose option 3. My opinion, GM knew damn well that they had a weak power plant in this vehicle and were using lousy quality parts but the rest is history. If they had any integrity about them they should have replaced the car. But alas, why would GM/Chevy want to stand behind the quality of their own products when suckers like me are there to buy them? Please see my video clip as you will see a theme here. Thank you.