January 2017 Pickup Sales Breakdown

2017-Super-Duty-F-350A_Chevy_2

Pickup truck sales for 2017 definitely started out at a sluggish pace, but the numbers are not much different from January sales of past years. The next few months will be telling as winter gives way to spring and people start visiting dealerships.

There's no question the mid-size segment will continue to gain momentum, especially as fuel prices climb and Ford and Jeep get ready to enter the market. More competition should do wonders for pickup buyers looking for better deals. And don't count out Ram from making a strong push in 2017. It just missed beating Chevrolet in January, and you can bet it isn't going to slow down its push to sell popular special editions.

As surprising as it might seem, Ford's long-standing two-truck strategy beat GM's three-truck strategy, selling more half-ton and heavy-duty pickups than GM's mid-size, half-ton and heavy-duty lineup. But can Ford maintain the momentum?

Manufacturer images

PUTC_saleschart_midsize_1.17 (002)

PUTC_saleschart_fullsize_1.17[11]

PUTC_saleschart_maufac_1.17 (002)

Comments

The above picture of the Chevy HD is a picture of the least sold HD in the segment. They should have added the Sierra as well.

Posted by: Frank | Feb 10, 2017 1:01:28 PM

Unfortunately, you need money to play in the big league.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Feb 10, 2017 1:22:13 PM

This is correct, GM already went bankrupt once.

At least GM tried, Ford p###y out and took government loans and grants HAHAHA!

At least GM tried, Ford p###y out and took government loans and grants HAHAHA!

Posted by: johnny doe | Feb 10, 2017 4:31:51 PM

Fact check; shaky GM went belly up (not Ford) who still owe tax payers $$$$ billions. There is no doubt many still remember it & probably part of the reason for their lackluster sales besides boring square trucks...

In fact I was a pretty good artist for my age at 5-6 yrs & drawing trucks was a passion (Dad had a '56 Ford F100) & now that I think about it, they actually resemble current GOVT motor trucks - simple square boxy designs including wheel wells & just needed to add circles for the tires & voila!!!...LOL!!

RAM is going to increase its truck capacity real soon.

The Silverado front and center, great job GM and PUTC.

@Lionel--The 56 Ford F100 still had the beveled hood and the curved wheel wells. Starting in 57 the Ford F series had the boxy body offering the flush side bed which was used through out the 60's. The 57 thru 60 F series Ford was basically the same except after 57 Ford had dual headlights. The 61 F series was a new design but it still retained the boxy body style. In 1961 GM went to the boxy body style as well changing their prior body style of 55-60.

@Lionel--below is a link on the history and generations of the F series.

Posted by: Frank | Feb 10, 2017 1:01:28 PM

How's that crow tasting Frank?

@ Jeff S; thanks for the history lesson but my point was how any young kid with some artistic talents would come up boxy trucks form Tonka toys, a bit like the current shaky cheby/GMC form.

Your link reconfirmed my Dad's truck was a '56 model that he eventually replaced in '74 with a F-100 '74 Super Cab two tone color scheme (white & aqua). He later got a '78 Bronco for off-road abilities in his farm but yeah; these two trucks were my best teenage memories during the budding dating ages 15-19 :-)

Posted by: Lionel | Feb 11, 2017 6:14:53 PM

That's great to hear. You must have had so much fun pushing those Fords around the farm. Good for you.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Feb 11, 2017 8:42:51 PM

@ GMSUCKS - actually I also recall using my Dad's truck to pull several times by buddies shaky Sierra - it kept conking out & lucky for him; his Dad was a mechanic specializing in chebys.
Yep they were already unreliable back then & I guess still are...HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

@Lionel--I spent summers on my Grandparents farm in N KY on the Ohio River. At one time the nearby small town of Warsaw had a Ford dealership, Dodge dealership, and and Oldsmobile/IH dealership. My Granddad was on the local bank board and knew everyone. For years my Granddad bought Dodge cars and trucks but when the Dodge dealer went out of business he bought a new 64 Olds 98 and a left over new 63 IH pickup which he said was the best truck he ever owned. I learned to drive on that 63 IH with 3 on the tree with my Granddad. We went over half the State of Kentucky and he knew people in every town. I think if he would have run for Governor of KY he would have won. We made frequent trips to the Allis Chalmers dealership in Dry Ridge. Good memories of my Grand Parents and to this day I have never heard anything but positive remarks of both my Grandparents. They were a good role models.

@Lionel

So if I understand correctly, your girlfriends were typically so bleepin' fat they had to ride in the back, or did you haul them in the trailer?

@ Jeff S; yep, great memories & funny how some of the best teenage ones are always associated with the cars/trucks we drove at the time (more like lent from our parents/grand parents :-).

This includes simple mechanics stuff as I took interest/gave a hand/or simply watched my Dad do the usual basic stuff (oil changes, tire rotations, etc) & the reason why I try to do the same today with all my vehicles (except for my global Ranger & wife's Cayenne where the dealership needs to do it so not to void the guarantee).

But unfortunately it also includes the bad moments for e.g; when I crashed/rolled Dad's F100 Supercab (drag racing with a Dodge & although I beat it, I lost control when stopping as rear tires slid on gravel & ended up on the driver's side. Luckily, only suffered some scratches & bruises even without seatbelts. So it was amazing how solid these trucks were even back then as friends helped push it back on it's four wheels & it started right away so I just drove it home. As I didn't want to upset my poor Dad that late in the evening, I only announced it to him the next day...one of my lowest points in my life.

Posted by: papajim | Feb 12, 2017 1:51:51 PM

@ papa jim; at least they were girls, how many fat boys did you pickup?

@Lionel

You'd better check with your buddy Frank on that score.

@Lionel

You'd better check with your buddy Frank on that score.
Posted by: papajim | Feb 12, 2017 5:48:40 PM

@ papa jim

I don't know Frank but I do know you'll in bed with your girlfriends GMSUCKS & johnny doeby...HAHAHAHA!!!!

Aluminum is the grade today everything is a pretender.

Ford Ranger aluminum would seal the fate of the midsize sales.

Japanese have nice products but steel no longer cuts the mustard.
they won't make head way with rusty crusty steel trucks.

@David

The expression is Cut the Muster, (not mustard).

Cutting the muster refers to admitting men to the ranks of the infantry. If you don't "make the cut" you go home. Mustering the troops, etc.

Re Aluminum and steel

20 years from now they will STILL be making trucks and a lot of other stuff from steel. There won't be any aluminum cannons, rifles, aircraft carriers or railroad rails. None.

Steel is a key to the advances that humans have enjoyed since the 1890s. Prior to that steel was pretty lame. Since then the progress has been amazing.

Aluminum is great for applications that don't require elasticity. If you drop an aluminum casting on a concrete floor very hard, it's toast.

Steel? It'll just ring like bell!

You can have all the aluminum trucks you want. Not me.

You can have all the aluminum trucks you want. Not me.

Posted by: papajim | Feb 14, 2017 2:17:39 PM

Perfect, keep your rust bucket shaky GM's...