Analysts Predict Slight Uptick in August Auto Sales

Ram Deliveries 2 II

Things have not been going well for the auto industry. Sales numbers for each month this year — so far — has fallen below 2016 sales numbers. However, according to Automotive News (subscription required), that could change when the August sales numbers are made public Friday.

Summer is usually a strong selling time for the industry, especially with three-day holiday weekends and vacations in the mix. Several automotive analysts have noted that incentive spending on full-size pickup trucks is likely to continue to creep higher, which could cut into automakers' profitability.

Interestingly, Ford is up more than 8 percent from 2016, and Ram is up more than 6 percent. Chevrolet and GMC are down close to 6 and 8 percent, respectively. However, much of that dip can be explained by GM's recent disciplined withdrawal from big rental fleet sales markets.

We expect the dramatic year-over-year sales increases to continue from the Nissan Titan and Titan XD, as well as the Honda Ridgeline. Of course, much of their trajectory this year is directly connected to the fact they didn't have a new product for much of the first part of 2016 — the half-ton Titan in Nissan's case and the new Ridgeline in the Honda's case.

Since pickups are the overachievers of the auto industry, August truck sales are likely to be pretty good, but in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey that momentum could slow with much of Texas focused on recovery and fuel prices expected to climb.

No doubt Chevrolet Colorado, Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma sales will continue their steady march, making a case for other automakers to get into the mid-size game as soon as possible. Of course, we know Ford and Jeep are breaking into that class in the next couple of years, and Hyundai will follow soon after that. But could there be more on the way? We'll know more about how new-truck buyers are responding later this week.

Cars.com photos by Angela Conners

16putc_midsziepickuptruckchallenge_groupshot1_so_ac_01jpg_28743952815_o A II

Comments

@Nitro: have you written your essay yet on the greatness of Ford F-series? Be sure to include how the Powerstroke has proven to be a 2nd or 3rd place finisher in performance when compared to the first place finisher Duramax.

I mean, seriously, I know how great Ford is, they are number 1, have best interiors, best tech, best engines, military grade, best looking and best resale.

You summed it up well GMS!

Those commercials were very effective in the launch of the new GM mid size trucks, you know, the mid size trucks that Ford is now rushing to market in an attempt to compete with GM. Those commercials has undoubtedly raised awareness and changed peoples views on pick-ups overall. I believe the pick-up market, as a whole, has benefited from those commercials including Ford.
Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Aug 31, 2017 12:09:52 AM

How were they effective? Those paid actors Chevy claimed were not actors helped sway people to buy a midsize truck. Did your alter ego Johhny tell you that? You post biased unsubstantiated opinions on here constantly. You spin the sales numbers to get a "moral" victory for your GM bromance crush. You are sad that when Ford starts production of the Ranger that, at the very least, even if it were the 3rd or 4th best selling mid size, it will make Ford the number one selling Company (they may be this year any how) and brand. GM's 6 lines will not be able to outsell Ford's 3 lines. And Ford is making more money per transaction as I have previously proved. Crying? C'mon Man!

Man in a Ford F-150 gets rescued by a new Chevy Silverado!

Posted by: GMSRGRE | Aug 31, 2017 1:52:22 AM

2.7 ecoboost roost will be claiming that those are not real people, they are actors.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Aug 31, 2017 7:12:46 AM

You summed it up well GMS!

Posted by: Nitro | Aug 31, 2017 7:13:03 AM

Haha! Wow, you make it so that obvious that you are posting using my name.

@2.7
Ford as we know it today will not exist five years from now.

I hope your self esteem is not so tied to that firm that the company's bankruptcy doesn't mess with your mind too badly.

Good luck!
Posted by: papajim | Aug 30, 2017 9:22:53 PM

This is it!! What happened to all you GM lovers! The damn bankruptcy messed with your minds. Thanks for finally posting it!! You can speculate on Ford going bankrupt, you must be an industry expert. Too bad you didn't warn the other guys before they imploded.

Man in a Ford F-150 gets rescued by a new Chevy Silverado!

Posted by: GMSRGRE | Aug 31, 2017 1:52:22 AM

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Aug 31, 2017 7:36:50 AM

If I had facts to support that, sure I would. Like I said in the other post you quoted this from, you can't even switch your usernames back and get the spelling correct. "GMSRGRE"... You have done this in the past giving your self a.k.a. "johhnydoe" a supporting comment only to sign on as "GMSRGRETTA"! Do you remember? I do.

Man in a Ford F-150 gets rescued by a new Chevy Silverado!

Posted by: GMSRGRE | Aug 31, 2017 1:52:22 AM

Just watched the video. Your post is a "LITTLE" misleading.

Just watched the video. Your post is a "LITTLE" misleading.

Posted by: 2.7EcoboostRoost | Aug 31, 2017 8:14:49 AM

Just like Ford ads stating they are #1, when they are currently behind and has finished behind GM the last 2 years.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Aug 31, 2017 8:21:19 AM

They have been the #1 selling truck brand for 40 (soon to be 41) years. NOTHING misleading about that. It's always wash, rinse and repeat with you. Watch this AWESOME commercial I posted. "What's Americas best selling BRAND of trucks?........"

Don't worry Johhny Gretta, when Ford goes bankrupt in 5 years like Papa is predicting, I'll buy a Chevy. Hold your breath for it please??

This is it!! What happened to all you GM lovers! The damn bankruptcy messed with your minds. Thanks for finally posting it.
Posted by: 2.7EcoboostRoost | Aug 31, 2017

@2.7

There has been a revolving door a the CEO suite. Ford's board of directors is a mess. One shareholder controls 40 percent of the equity voting, while only owning 2 percent of the shares. Have you seen Ford's share price for the last five years?

You'll see.

You'll see.
Posted by: papajim | Aug 31, 2017 2:04:16 PM

We will see. If it happens, come on here and say "@2.7, I told you so..." I'll reply: Yes you did! LOL.

@2.7

I'm writing it on my calendar as we speak

Ford's stock price has been on a steady downward slide the last 3 years. You would have though that selling all those trucks would have helped the bottom line lol. So much for the aluminum wonder trucks...

GM seems to be in very good shape financially. Don't foresee a bankruptcy anytime soon for them. FCA on the other hand might not remain unless another manufacturer buys them out. Ford will be ok especially with a new CEO.

Ford will be ok especially with a new CEO. Posted by: Jeff S | Aug 31, 2017 5:14:50 PM

@Jeff S

Can't you read?

ONE shareholder who only owns 2 percent of Ford's equity has voting control over FORTY percent of the company's business.

If you did not care about brand, and you wanted to invest in the auto industry, would you put your hard earned money in the hands of Ford's board of directors? That's why their financial situation sucks.

@papa jim--I do not invest in auto stocks. Ford is not losing money on trucks. I don't see Ford going out of business or going bankrupt. Ford took direct action and got rid of Mark Fields. Do you think this was not an appropriate action. To me this appears that Ford management did not agree with Fields and wanted to take action after their profits went down. Isn't this what Ford should have done? Maybe they should have done it sooner but Ford did take action. Putting personal biased aside even if you don't like Ford products Ford did take action. Much easier to Monday morning quarterback. GM has also taken some actions that I don't approve of and so has FCA. I can only base my opinion on what I read. Again I do not invest in auto stocks because of the large investment that is made in product with higher risks to investors and smaller returns. That is my opinion and choice but I would rather invest in something that pays a larger dividend.

Good to hear that you don't invest Jeff. It's clearly not your thing.

@papa jim--Again another absurd comment. I never said I didn't invest, I said I don't invest in auto stocks. Are you an adult or a juvenile? Do you invest in the stock market or is this you bloviating. I have been invested in the stock market for over 40 years, but I do not give investment advice nor do I take investment advice from someone like you. Being civil is not you're thing.

@Jeff S

There is a simple principle in market investing---you invest in the company's management. Well managed firms make money, it does not matter if they make cars, trucks or toothpaste.

Ford has not been well managed for decades because the company---despite being owned by shareholders ---is still ruled by the family that bears its name.

Instead of hiring top people to manage the firm, they continue to try and run the company from the boardroom. Dreadful results.

If Ford is smart, they'll split the company into firms that specialize in product development, and firms that assemble and distribute high quality goods.

Until that happens, they're in deep doo doo.

@papajim--You must be very bored, you carry on constantly about the Ridgeline and Ford I stated I don't invest in auto stocks because they are capital intensive, pay little or no dividends, and for the most part are not well run which includes GM. GM is selling off their assets which some should have been long ago but you cannot long term sell off assets and be profitable. Not a fan of auto stocks especially American which tend to over pay their CEOs and officers.

Not a fan of auto stocks especially American which tend to over pay their CEOs and officers. Posted by: Jeff S | Sep 5, 2017

@Jeff S

You reject buying stocks because you want dividends. Great, buy companies that offer dividends. There are plenty to be had.

CEO Steve Jobs, made guh-zillions of bucks during his 2 tours at Apple. Didn't he deserve it?

I want well paid CEOs because they assure success. Whether you push a broom or run a giant company your compensation should be properly structured to suit the job.

@papa jim--As for the Ford family they always have had their hands in the management. Henry Ford Sr. constantly put his own son Edsel down and Henry would not let go until he became so senile that Edsel's son was called back from military duty during WW II because the Government feared Henry would run Ford to the ground. Henry Jr. would not let Iaccoca implement some needed changes and prevented him from being CEO of Ford. Iaccoca got revenge when he went to Chrysler and got them out of bankruptcy. Not saying Iaccoca was perfect and he had an ego but he was more right than wrong and he did know how to run an auto company. About 10 years ago Iaccoca wrote a book which basically said that we as a country lack leadership both in industry and in government. So yes Ford lacks leadership but so does FCA and GM is not a lot better.

Ok so you watched a TV show about the history of Cars.

I'm talking about the Class B shares of Ford stock, Jeff. Did your TV show talk about that? One family controls damn near half the company despite owing less than 5 percent of the equity.

The restructuring of GM unfortunately allowed the UAW to take a seat at the helm, but at least the CEO understands GM (she's been there forever) and she is an effective manager who really understand the whole auto industry. You can see it in GM's share prices today.

No equivalency there. BTW, I don't own stock in either company.

@papa jim--You must have had a bad experience with a Ford or maybe you work for GM. I don't see Ford going out of business anytime soon. Do you think that Ford made a bad decision firing Mark Fields. As for Henry Sr. and Edsel I knew that long before the History Channel. When you don't argue with others do you end up arguing with yourself? I don't own Ford stock and neither do I own GM. Best decision I made was to unload the old GM stock before the bankruptcy. You probably would argue that GM was well run and it was the fault of the consumers in 2008. If that makes you happy go ahead but Ford is selling a large amount of trucks and crossovers so I don't think even bad management is going to kill them yet. Even when I site some points in agreement with you about the Ford family interfering with the operations of Ford you turn that into a debate. Do you do this with your family? If you do they must want to get far away from you. Get over it. At this point I don't care and there are much bigger things to be bothered with like a nut case in North Korea. At this point if the Chinese end up with our auto industry I don't care. If Ford makes too many mistakes someone else will end up owning them but my bets are on FCA and GM being owned by the Chinese before that especially GM since China has become a more significant market and GM will end up in bankruptcy again as will FCA. Not a fan of bailouts but I understood the significance of keeping GM and Chrysler in business but I don't think the Gov. will do it again. GM is making money now but they are still the same old GM with some of the same people running it. Even Barra is a GM veteran. GM, Ford, and FCA could all use some new blood. I don't care. Have Chinese made computers, clothes, and appliances, so if it comes down to it I guess I could live with a Chinese manufactured vehicle. Either way I will still live another day.

Jeff. Ask for help. You must be a real riot around the house. You have an inability to engage without demanding that the other party agree to your terms.

Kind of like Henry Ford, I suppose.