2017 State Fair of Texas Promises Premium Pickup News

IMG_5364 II

Every year, the big pickup truck makers set up some of the largest product displays on the planet at the State Fair of Texas to entice consumers in the biggest pickup truck market on the planet to buy their trucks. We're not arguing with the logic of that marketing strategy, but it does make for an interesting beginning to auto-show season, which starts with the fair in September and continues on through the Special Equipment Market Association Show in Las Vegas in October, the Los Angeles Auto Show in November, the Detroit auto show in January, and finally the Chicago Auto Show in February. And at every stop along the way, you can bet pickup trucks will be holding a prominent spot.

In Texas, each of the big truck makers will have large displays and some kind of news to pass along to a waiting media. The quality of that news, however, will vary greatly; in years past, we've heard everything from warmed-up sales figures to a world premiere of an entirely new product to a segment. This year is likely to be more of the same, with pickup truck sales being the only real bright spot in the U.S. automotive sales market so far this year.

Although many of the manufacturers are being tight-lipped, we're hearing Ford and Ram will both have something in the premium-priced segments, while Chevrolet is looking to emphasize the longevity and loyalty of their customer base and Nissan will give us a closer look at their Midnight Edition pickups. GMC, Toyota and Honda are likely to be relatively quiet.

We'll have more details later this week, with several videos to follow.

Cars.com photo by Mark Williams; teaser photos from Ram and Chevrolet

SFOT Teaser Ram news hint for 2017 SFoT[1] II

SFOT Teaser Heritage_Bowtie_Teaser II

Comments

Butthurt GM Fanbois get sad when we bad mouth the 5.3L. It was a dog when I drove it.

My opinion, first thing in being a grown man, is accepting another man's opinion.

@ Frank

Glad you are finally realizing you have made mistakes in your life and can admit it when your wrong.

That's the first step in recovery! And I won't charge you for that! Good job champ!

In response to a couple posts,

The 5.4 is peakier in it's torque numbers. The 5.3 is a flatter curve. When these motors had similar HP number the 5.3 curve is smoother and more linear.

Now that said,

The later 5.4's I believe had 355 hp when the last gen 5.3 was 315. I don't have exact torque numbers but the 5.4 should have felt stronger in those apples to apples years.

The other thing mentioned here about 5.4's being dogs goes in line with cam Phaser failure. One of the first symptoms besides noise is loss of power. I'm guessing those 5.4's with phasers going don't run nearly as strong as they used to. Left alone the phaser issue can eventually lead to oil pressure loss and engine failure.

5.3's with the crappier torque management and throttle response probably don't feel real strong either. I have not had a 5.3 since 2005 (aluminum 5.3, 4.10 rear end, very strong puller) but my brother had a 2008 with a 5.3 and you needed to flat foot the truck 3 times in a row to get the thing to run like advertised. Torque management is neutering the truck if you don't drive it hard.

My 6.2 does the same thing to some degree, but due to better tq/hp it is not as noticeable. It's trying though.

@ andrwken

Teh last 5.4L that were introduced in 2009 and 2010 had 310 HP with 360 TQ

I remember back in 2009 or 2010 PUTC did a test and the slowest of the bunch was F150 with the 5.4L

.......IT WON THE SHOOTOUT.

GM fanboys still defending the whimpy 5.3 that couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding. That's so funny. The 5.4 felt like a truck engine, even though it isn't a diesel. The 5.3 feels like a car engine.

The 5.4 felt and sounded like an engine ready to blow itself up at any moment. Especially once the timing chaon tensioner, cam phasers, or rockers started to go. Not to mention the junk exhaust manifolds that loved to warp, crack, or bust the skinny little bolts off.

The 5.3 feels like a car engine. Posted by: Alex | Sep 27, 2017

@Alex

Please share the names of GM cars that use the 5.3 V8

Please do NOT list the trucks and large SUVs. Just the cars please.

He said feels like. Do you understand English?

GM never made truck engines, they've always made car engines and put them in trucks.

If you never driven both I'd keep your mouth shut, and in addition the 6.8L is a stellar and brute of an engine.

mOD motors did its fine, Ford took a risk, and has paid off.

Papajim, Jeff and Frank are correct. I said "feels." Because as Frank said, it IS a car engine!

Oh and since you asked. GM put the 5.3 in their front-wheel-drive bucket of $hit Impala SS.

Posted by: Alex | Sep 27, 2017 11:51:34 PM

And these days guys are putting GM LS V8's in their bucket o'$hit foxbody Mustangs. Those old 5.0's were a JOKE!

Please do NOT list the trucks and large SUVs. Just the cars please.

@Alex

Impalas. Great. Talk about straining fly specks out of pepper! GM makes millions of Gen 4 and Gen 5 V8s annually and you pick an application where a few thousand were made. Swell.

The Gen 4 truck engines 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 Vortec continue to give GM owners great service and long engine life. The Gen 5 family of truck engines adds the 4.3 truck motor and drops the 4.8 and the 6.0 in favor of the new 5.3 and the dominant V8 in pickups today, the 6.2

Based on the dismal performance of Ford turbo sixes and the 5.0 V8 car engine they use in millions of trucks, not to mention the whole generation of leaking 4.6 and 5.4 engines, you have a lot of nerve to take a swipe at GM's engine program.

Please do NOT list the trucks and large SUVs. Just the cars please.

@Alex

Posted by: Alex | Sep 27, 2017 11:51:34 PM

And Ford put the vaunted 5.4 in the GT.

The mod motors were designed for use in cars before they ever showed up in trucks. The Windsor ohv v8's were used in the 90's for trucks while the mod motors were in car applications. Feel free to do a quick search

Your posts are about as uninformed as Franks. Same guy?

@ Alex

Did you ever drive an Impala SS with the 5.3L in it. It was a sleeper car that was very quick! It rode, drove, and handled great! I had one of these along with a Trailblazer SS with the 6.0L in it.
These cars were great to drive because of front wheel drive. You could drive them all year long! Unlike mustangs and camaros which are a nightmare to drive in the winter where I am from. Also back in 2006 these things kept up with your mustangs pretty well!! Especially at stop lights because the front wheels hooked up better than the rear wheel drive mustangs. (Those where my younger years before kids of course!! LOL)

And to say the 5.4L felt stronger than a 5.3L is your opinion, but my nephew still has a 2005 Ford with one in it, and he admits its a "dog". When I'm in it, I feel I could jump out and run faster than it! Its very slow, loud, and acts like it wants to do more but can't breathe!!! Kinda like the old foxbody 5.0's. They were terrible!

Impala SS, Chevy 1500 SS is a pathetic attempt at performance, it makes the old school SS Chevy's look fantastic.

Buy hey, this is none of my business.

Posted by: Brick | Sep 28, 2017 12:46:59 AM

You got love this guy for beating on it...........

McDonalds sells the cheapest burgers, nobody ever said they were/are the best.

Have nice Day Bro!!!

@papajim,

The LS engine are ok motors, I'll give you that. But, they ain't nothing special.

Sorry GM could never build a FOX Platform, if you're a real car guy, you'd know.

mOD motors did its fine, Ford took a risk, and has paid off.

Posted by: Frank | Sep 27, 2017 10:47:19 PM

The mod motors were weak, inefficient, and completely unreliable garbage. A few unicorns make it to high mileage but not without plenty of repairs. Junk timing chains, cam phasers, tensioners, chain guides, oil pumps, valve seats, rockers, spark plugs, heads (truck version), warped/cracked headers etc. I just helped replace the headers on 3 different 5.4's and have 2 more to go. One of them is on their 2nd set. Tiny rusty little bolts holding those warped manifolds on. Since the simpletons at Ford went DOHC, the heads are buried way down in there. Gotta rip most of the front end apart to get at them man I hate the Mod motors. What a legacy of failure.

@ Frank

That's right. Pathetic attempt...what did ford have???? Please. U are am imbecile

@ Frank

I just love beating on you bv you are an easy target...sorry mam!!!

To defend the old fox body 5.0 is ridiculous...they were complete dogs...admit it

The 5.7 tune port were turds..i can admit that and they still beat your fox bodies!! Go figure. U never learn

@TNT, no it's not my "opinion." You are judging what feels like a "truck" engine based on acceleration performance (empty). If that were true, then a Hyabussa has more of a truck engine than a Cummins ISX. The 5.4 has a much longer stroke and a higher piston speed at a given rpm than a 5.3, so it always feels like it can pull more. I have had both motors, I know what I'm talking about. Yes the 5.3 has a larger bore, breathes better at likes to rev more. It's more of a CAR engine. It will beat the 5.4 empty by about a second. But it won't hold 4th gear while pulling a camper like the 5.4 can. Yes I have driven the Impala SS $hitbox. I would much rather have the Kia Stinger GT.

@Papajim, yes I will take a swipe at GM's lackluster performance. They had a great 6 cylinder engine and wasted it. The Vortec 4200 I-6 was a much better engine. You hate the Ford 3.5 EcoBoost performance but you love the pathetic 5.3 pushrod? Hahahahahaha. Chebby boys are funny. I have owned the only GM truck I would ever own. A Duramax. Why would I want the 5.3, which I have also owned. It's pathetic. I have owned it and you're telling me how wonderful it is. It's like "ignore your own experience!" Haha!!! I will never get another 5.3. I would buy an EcoBoost.

The Vortec 4200 I-6 was a much better engine

@Alex

You must be feeling like Robinson Crusoe, along on an island. The Atlas engines, including the 4200, were almost 8 years from the drawing board to the showroom.

By the time that the Atlas motors were in regular service, GM had the first 3.6 High Feature boasting better HP and torque in a much more compact package.

The Atlas 4200 weighed a full 100 pounds more than the 3.6 and was much more versatile, fitting into tighter spaces.

the 3.6 was much more versatile than the 4200, fitting into tighter spaces.

Seriously, did you just use "3.6" and "torque" in the same sentence? 😂😂😂🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ No wonder you're a fan of the whimpy 5.3. Seriously, they shouldn't put a tow hitch on anything that comes with that engine.

@Alex

The Atlas engines were hamstrung by GM's 4 speed automatic. Maybe if they'd had a six speed available for the RWD and AWD SUVs it would have helped, but the fuel economy did not inspire customers, and the lack of any applications in the company's FWD cars was the last straw.

Yeah I get their reasons to compromise, but inline 6 and RWD is better for people who enjoy driving. That's why Mercedes is going back to inline 6. Fuel economy was actually pretty good in comparison to everything else available at the time. Envoy XL and Trailblazer got over 20mpg on the highway. Fuel economy was never a strong suit for the 3.6. When Holden changed from the 3.8 OHV Buick engine to the 3.6, fuel consumption increased and Ford's 4.0 I-6 Falcon beat it. Holden then had to downsize to the 3.0 SIDI V6, Ford kept their 4.0 the same, but Holden still struggled with fuel economy and low-end torque. That never stops the brand loyalists though.

Fuel economy was never a strong suit for the 3.6

@Alex

Wrong. My daughter's Acadia usually gets 25-30 in highway driving depending on speed limits, traffic, etc. I drove from Mobile AL to Jackson TN in that car once on US 45 and got 30 mpg on several stretches of road. The Acadia weighs as much as a modern pickup.

Check your facts.

@ Alex

Of course I would take a Stinger GT over an Impala SS its 10 years newer. BTW the stinger is a nice looking car!

The 5.4L was just a crappy motor in general, If you got over 100k miles out of them you were lucky! They had too many issues. the 5.3 has also had some issues with oil consumption, but they can easily get 200K out of them with general maintenance.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Sep 29, 2017 9:26:51 AM

Just shut it already, we don't care what you say. Get on with your life.

@ Frank

U obviously do bc u respond. I wasn't talking to you anyways. You are to ignorant always.

@ Frank

I wasn't talking to you anyways.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Sep 29, 2017 11:50:02 AM

How old are you 12? I have better conversations with my 5 yr old daughter.

@ Frank

How old am I? I am 36 year old educated man who is tired of your nonsense. You make no sense, you never give facts. You probably sit at home hating life, so you take it out on people in this forum, who actually have real jobs and work hard to pay for their vehicles!

I give you facts and all you ever say is, I'm not playing your games?? There is no games!! I put you in your place all the time and you can't handle it!! I quote from Jack Nicholson, "YOU CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!"

Now go look into the mirror. Take a deep breath and tell yourself, your going to do better today, and change

Actually listen to Michael Jackson's song "The Man in the Mirror"
Be good for you

Latest Games information, and info about exciting games all there is at Dr-driving, Come

transition.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/bye?http://dr-driving.org/

transition.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/bye?http://dr-driving.org/pokemon-sun-and-pokemon-moon/