2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab: Spied

Reg cab silverado 3 II

Our spy shooters were recently in Colorado near the Loveland Pass, where GM engineers were doing some high-altitude testing with what looks like a new small gas-engined GM half-ton fleet truck. The 8-foot bed and larger regular cab could have some interesting design and material changes.

Here are the notes they sent us after the encounter:

"This is our first look at the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 in a regular-cab, long-bed work-truck configuration. Up until now, we've only seen crew- and extended-cab variants.

"The regular-cab long-bed configuration is a small segment but quite popular in work fleets. However, the most popular of today's full-size pickup trucks are generally well-equipped four-door models.

"We're hearing GM is likely to make some radical changes to its full-size pickups in the form of an aluminum-intensive construction — although not on the bed — in a bid to shed hundreds of pounds of weight and improve fuel efficiency. We've also heard from our sources that it is also working on making stronger aluminum, learning from Ford's implementation of aluminum with the redesigned F-150 and Super Duty.

"We're also hearing the new GMC Sierra and Silverado half tons will continue with refinements on the current V-8 engines, but they are also expected to get a smaller diesel and an upgraded version of the existing mild-hybrid eAssist option  — currently, the bigger Duramax diesel comes only on heavy-duty trucks while the small Duramax is only for Colorado and Canyon pickups. Rumors are also rampant that a turbocharged V-6 could join the lineup, most likely in a new SS package. Lastly, a 10-speed automatic, first seen in the Camaro ZL1, will likely find its way into a few premium models at launch, as well.

"Expect to see the new Silverado and Sierra trucks in late 2018 as 2019 models."

SpiedBilde images

Reg cab silverado 2 II

Reg cab silverado 5 II

Reg cab silverado 4A II

Reg cab silverado 6 II

Reg cab silverado 6A II

Reb cab Silverado 1 II

Comments

@Rammins
Pardon me Miss. It is a shame that you are a Johnny dip wad poster of hyper links you did not completely read. So much for your first one. Had you read it you would have seen this quote
"Not sure if any other box would have fared any different, was a lot of force concentrated in a fairly small footprint. Tree didnt give, something had too!"
Fool ,what a sad attempt. Your other links are failures to properly secure loads. Miss,next time do your homework!

......Had you read it you would have seen this quote.....

Posted by: Chevy Blows Chunks | Sep 25, 2017 8:12:23 PM

Did your home schooling mom pick up on that while you copy , modify and post other people comments.

LOTS of catching up to do... Using aluminum, turbos, diesels, smaller smarter engines, DOHC, putting cameras everywhere, tailgate steps... Anything with the rear suspension? So far behind. But here is the kicker, is it me or on this tester did they copy the door sill drop Ford brought to light duty over a decade ago. If they did that's just priceless.
Posted by: Clint | Sep 25, 2017 6:38:10 AM

Yep, I aw that Ford copy door sill drop but chose not to mention it as cheby fangirlies are already worked up froaming from the mouth like walking dead sequel HAHAHA!!!...Or next they will claim shaky GOVT motors came up with it first last century or something...LOL

@ Frank

Because unlike you! I speak to my family and get along with them.even though they drive fords. We are honest with each other and gave a great time heckling one another about our brands.

Unlike you who has no.family, no friends because he is a vile, rude, clown @$$, who was picked on his whole life and now that we have social media...he gets his rocks off on it!!!

I see u still haven't played out in the street yet!!! Please do us all a favor and get playing old man!!

Posted by: TNTGMC | Sep 25, 2017 6:49:41 PM

Too much irony on this as well, let go of the irony sauce.

It's hilarious how many of you are the same person (under different user names) talking good about your favorite brand trying to give the illusion that more people agree with your opinion. That's a sign of pure desperation when fighting a losing battle.

I drove an Enclave SUV around the mountains for 10 days w/same 5.3, 6 speed, Tow/Haul and all the luxury appointments available on the Sierra. I learned how to use most of them, but by the end of vacation, I had no interest in being distracted by how far I could get with the 3/4 tank of gas left.
I could buy two WT, ext. cab w/8' bed trucks for less than the price of 1 at the high end. The aftermarket head unit for phone/camera was less than $800. Everything else I need except the hitch, rack & toolbox, was standard equipment. I got the salesman to throw the hitch, genius bed storage system on sliding rails, and key-less entry for a $250 co-pay.

Too many people think driving a truck makes them look like a man, but real men don't whine about air conditioned seats and other bells and whistles that break and are unnecessary.

Note: Pray you never stall in high water with power windows!
No, I wasn't driving when that fiasco happened.

@ Frank

U are a lost soul...I pitty you. So alone, afraid, and searching for someone to like u!!

Whatchoo talking about, Willus?

We are all different people HAHAHA!

[GM] stock is still below the all-time high it hit on 12/16/2017
Posted by: Walt | Sep 25, 2017 4:41:56 PM

@Walt

You are NOT an idiot. You just write like one.

GM stock did NOT hit an all time high in December because it is NOT December yet. In fact GM stock is having a great year and their dealers are selling TONS of trucks. Ford will be lucky not to get dunked by GM again in 2017

Posted by: papajim | Sep 25, 2017 7:27:44 PM

Good catch on the typo. It should have read 12/16/2013, nearly 4 years ago.

Thanks,
Walt

@Stevador

Please show me when GM ever built a (Buick) Enclave that was equipped with anything except a 3.6 GM six cylinder. The Sierra and the Enclave are very different vehicles under all that soft carpeting and leather.

@Walt thanks for mentioning it.

Many of your fellow commenters get annoyed with me for comparing Ford and GM leadership in their respective boardrooms, but it's one of my favorite ways to evaluate companies. Great companies have great leaders, and great leaders refuse to sell anything but great products.

Presently Ford is hurting in that department and millions of the world's investors are bailing on Ford stock in response.

GM copy Ford? You realize the new f150 has Sierra headlights and a Chevy grille???

They have the most advanced power dense engines in the business. Couple that with a number of firsts, GM leads in truck sales and innovation.

"Until Ford's management becomes a better reflection of its shareholders the bleeding will continue, in my opinion.

Posted by: papajim | Sep 26, 2017 2:10:10 PM"

Considering that Ford closed today with a PE ratio of 12.56 and GM's was only 7.00 Ford will have to lose nearly half of their value to get down to where GM is right now, even after their recent run up. Personally, while I have never been a big fan of GM management but I don't think that they are that bad and are oversold right now. That is why I own GM stock instead of Ford. I still love my F150 right now and don't mind making payments on it with the dividends from GM. I probably will sell the GM stock soon though. Unless they announce a real breakthrough on self driving I think that their run may be over and that recent gain means that it is time to take my money and run.

Wow, bunch of scared Ford fan girls on this story. They know this is the final nail in Ford's coffin, people aint falling for Ford's weak beer can bodys, and crappy turd blower v6s in trucks any more. Great job GM this will be another gen of one of the longest lasting trucks on the road.

probably will sell the GM stock soon though. Unless they announce a real breakthrough on self driving I think that their run may be over and that recent gain means that it is time to take my money and run. Posted by: Walt | Sep 26, 2017

@Walt

I think one of the mistakes Ford made was trying to be a high tech company (they aren't). Ford, GM and the other majors are the very best at building good cars and trucks.

Companies that invent new technology systems and software are VERY different than companies like Toyota or GM. I hope GM stays away from high tech simply because for every new high tech firm that succeeds, there are 100's or even thousands that failed trying. It's a different critter entirely.

Let GM, Daimler or Toyota be partners or have alliances with the companies that succeed at being tech firms. Ford made a costly mistake trying and burned billions of stockholder dollars doing it.

"tailgate steps" - Ford should feel embarrassed that they spent what must have been tens of millions of dollars developing that over-complicated tailgate step. The bumper step is an elegant and cheap solution, and more importantly, it works even with a 5th wheel trailer attached. Not to mention, guys look like Nancy's when they use that dorky grab bar.

Posted by: Rammins | Sep 25, 2017 7:20:45 PM

So true. I can envision when the dumb Ford engineers seen the the bumper step for the first time... Slapping each other in back of thier heads saying "Why couldn't we think of that"????
But ours is better because it has a dumb fold out handle. LOL

Wow, bunch of scared GM drones on this story. They know this is the final nail in GM's coffin, people aint falling for GM's thin tin can bodys, and crappy 5.3's in trucks any more. Great job FORD, building the toughest, highest quality pick up trucks. This continues the legacy of the longest lasting, most reliable and best trucks on the road.

"Companies that invent new technology systems and software are VERY different than companies like Toyota or GM. I hope GM stays away from high tech simply because for every new high tech firm that succeeds, there are 100's or even thousands that failed trying.

Posted by: papajim | Sep 26, 2017 5:41:41 PM"

I hate to be the one to break the news to you but the recent run up in GM stock price seems to be centered around their progress on self driving vehicles, not pickup trucks per se.

@Walt

I respectfully disagree. GM's press office may present it that way. They certainly don't want to be viewed as old school, but building cars and trucks IS old school.

Assembly lines and stamping plants is the hi tech of 1910, not 2020.

But the fact is, that companies that specialize in mass-assembling cars and trucks is how Ford and GM make their money. They would be smart to separate the technology departments at their firms from the divisions that assemble cars. It's a very different way to make a living.

As was stated on a prominent business show this morning, when asked if GM was a buy at $40, the answer was swift and firm - "I would sell at $40". " Ford is far more attractive with good upside , and strong dividends".
Wall street is not nearly impressed with GM as are the usual suspect sycophants.
If they took the time read what is actually being said about GM ,there would be less chirping.

GM sells more trucks but makes less profits.

That's the story

Papajim, as the owner of some GM stock I truly wish that it was performing as well as you want us to believe that it is but I don't see it. I also don't understand why this is even a topic, it seems that very few others give a rip about this discussion and it really doesn't relate to the subject of the article that we are posting under. I think that I am going to give it a rest.

Posted by: Chevy Blows Chunks | Sep 25, 2017 8:12:23 PM

Hahaha I knew you'd bring up unsecured loads. For over a year, Ford had made dozens of propaganda videos where they tried to convince everyone that their new ultra-high-tech military aluminum alloy beds were going to be as tough as an Abrams tank. They showed aluminum bed prototypes sent out for "real world testing", showing buys tossing all kinds of heavy unsecured stuff in the back of the beds. It's no surprise Ford has never shown what those beds looked like afterwards or what the difference in thickness there was between the prototypes and the thin aluminum foil they used for the actual F-150.

Why should guys have to secure loads in the back of their new 2015+ F-150's? Ford wants you to think they built their aluminum bed to handle all kinds of heavy, unsecured loads. Look at those guys tossing heavy steel pipes in the back of these aluminum beds for crying out loud!

@Walt

I don't know what your goals are for GM, but their share price is UP in an UP market.

Ford stock is DOWN despite being in an UP market. In fact, Ford is near its 5 year low. GM is near its 5 year high, which ain't bad.

@ Rammins

Great articles!! The Ford fanboys can't handle the truth. They have been lied to for so long, that denial is just an everyday thing for them!!

@ Chevy Blows Chunks

This ladies and gentleman is what we call a delusional man! This is what being lied to your whole life by a "certain" truck manufacturer does to the human brain! So sad!! I could help rehabilitate you if you would like?

@ Rammins
You ask why loads should be secured?
It is probably because you have not read your vehicle insurance policy. If you had you would know that unsecured items are referred to as " missiles", and relieve your insurance carrier of liabilities should loose objects ( missiles) cause physical injury and or property damage.
I have seen the "cold rolled steel beds suffer the same fate in GM, RAM/Dodge, previous gen. Ford and the collection of foreign pickup trucks.
Secure your loads , protect yourself and other road users.

You ask why loads should be secured?
Secure your loads , protect yourself and other road users.
Posted by: Casual Observer of Fools | Sep 27, 2017 10:24:12 AM

It was a rhetorical question to make a point. Ford has made several videos where they talk up their new aluminum F-150. They call it "Ford Tough" and that their "military-grade" super alloy is so tough made promotional videos showing their truck hauling big rocks all day, guys tossing big heavy steel pipes in it, workers hauling all kinds of heavy or pointy stuff, etc. None of it was secured. Ford showed their truck doing that stuff, implying that their truck was extra tough ("FORD Tough"). Now we see dozens of examples of these "Ford Tough" F-150's and it's VERY obvious that the bed was made thin, most likely for cost reasons and weight considerations. A thicker bed would have greater tensile strength, hence why the 2017 Superduty's aluminum bed is quite a bit thicker.

It's no wonder GM made a video showing the difference between their cold-rolled steel bed and the thin aluminum F-150 bed. Ford practically invited them to do it with the dozens of propaganda videos where they talk up their tough new "military-grade" alloys and "Ford Tough" construction. Ford made a dozen videos showing how their engineers validated these "military" alloys in "brutal" "punishing" "torture" tests that they want you to think no other company puts their trucks through.

All of this could have been avoided if Ford hadn't prioritized cost and weight over durability. At a minimum, these thin F-150 beds should come standard with a thick spray-in bed liner. Ideally one that's done better than the current optional spray-in bed liner which is too easy to peel off.

I have never heard of a chevy bonanza, cheyenne, scottsdale or silverado but never bonanza.

@Walt

That was four weeks ago.

Since then your GM stock is UP five dollars per share. Ford hasn't moved. One analyst is predicting that GM stock will be up 100 dollars per share in less than 5 years. Let me know how you feel about that.

As usual, bash, bash bash. People get so polar about these things. Truth is the differences between the big three at every truck level comparison are so small and mostly insignificant that you really cant go wrong with any of them. Reliability, too, is so close that even the long-term owner type really cant make an argument for any particular brand/model/engine.

Buy the one you like. It will have its pluses and minuses. There will be another a little bit better at some thing, others worse at some things. Who really cares. Being able to tow 7500 vs 7700 is insignificant. 23mpg vs 24mpg is insignificant. 0-60 in 5.5secs vs 6.0secs is insignificant. 2000lb vs 2100lb payload is insignificant. Small minded simpletons make such a huge deal about these tiny differences, when in reality it makes absolutely no difference in the real world.

I like Chevy. I have had several now with different trims, etc. I have also driven plenty of of Fords throughout the years. It really comes down to which you like. Neither is actually any better than the other at comparable setups. Chevy just feels better to me. I am still rocking my 2011 Silverado. I will probably skip the current gen, as, IMO, it was not significantly enough better to compel me to trade up. It is very likely I will get a new truck in 2019 or 2020. It will most like be a Chevy. This is not to say that Ford or Dodge sucks. I just know that Chevy will bring a truck that I will like. Hopefully, this time it will be better enough to compel me to trade up.

DOHC= car engine. That's why GM uses OHV unlike ford's