GM Takes Cylinder Deactivation to Next Level

Ccl_6925jpg_39654412352_o

We recently heard the next-generation small-block V-8 engines coming from GM will have a unique cylinder-deactivation capability that can reduce or activate from one to eight cylinders. GM revealed this information during the debut of the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 at the 2018 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Current-generation GM pickups use an active fuel management system that reduces the number of active cylinders from eight to four.

According to Green Car Reports, the new technology came from a Silicon Valley startup company GM Ventures purchased in 2012 that designed engine control software that could make an existing V-8 significantly more fuel efficient.

Originally called Dynamic Skip Fire, the Tula Technology system yields huge fuel-economy improvements — up to 15 percent over engines without cylinder deactivation GM said when it purchased Tula. Renamed Dynamic Fuel Management, the system will be used on the two V-8 engines that will power the 2019 Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 when they hit dealerships later this year.

If you want to know how the system works, we found a video that explains it in more detail. We expect we'll be hearing much more about this technology in the future as it is likely to spread across all the full-size SUVs and pickup trucks, and far beyond. Check out the video below.

Manufacturer image

Comments

What is the future of this system with other brands?
Posted by: Walt | Jan 25, 2018

@Walt

why would anybody care?

selfish ingnorant people drive the the f-150 and other large pick up trucks . they don-t even fit in a parking space without sticking out . plus the people that drive them a speed crazy . when your parked next to them in a parking lot ,the block your vision when backing out . I hate the people that have them ,they are road pigs!

Chevyota Tundarado.

It's a crying shame no matter the technology.
Berra, Batey, Rueuss are going to sell a lot of Fords and Rams.

@george
You’ve mistakenly entered the wrong forum. I believe you wanted the Prius forum.

Ford can keep their Ego-Boost engines along with their "Military Grade" aluminum.

When your front end is so much like a brick, you need this.

Heck, they made the sides look better, how about the front?

Their current v-8 AFM is a train wreck.

Keep your 1 cylinders. I'll keep my twin turbo.

Nobody can do better than the F-150 Eco-Boost
The F-150 with the 2.7 Eco-Boost gets the BEST gas mileage of ANY full size gas truck out there.
NOT only does the F-150 get the BEST gas mileage it also has the more power , performance, and towing and hauling numbers.

If your heart is set on buying a new Silverado you'll be much better off with one with the 4.3 V6 cause you'll get the same power and performance with better gas mileage.

Posted by: Ecoboost Rules | Jan 25, 2018 12:57:43 AM

Please. Stop posting this nonsence. The ecoboost only gets OK fuel economy when driven around like a car empty. As soon as you hook a load to them they start guzzling fuel and scream in higher rpm's . Terrible for a full size work truck. Soccer moms engines.

@ TRX-4 Tom

I don't know who you have been talking too? But, the new AFM works perfectly in the new 5.3L and 6.2L engines!!! My 5.3L gets 24 mpgs on highway traveling 70 mph with 3.42 rear end. I have never SEEN any Toyota full size truck do that. My cousin went through three of them. Very solid excellent trucks, but never got better than 15 mpg average. They were gas hogs. Finally sold final one and bought a Cummins and gets around 19 with that, but that is also a 3/4 ton.

@ramcummins
Screaming in higher RPMs? Did you ever look at the torque curves of an eco boost vs... any V8?. I agree with your fuel efficency comment but the EB torque comes on sooner than a V8.

@ Grnzel1

Of course it does, and it should bc its got a turbo on it! It won't hold up like a V8 will though!!

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 25, 2018 2:42:28 PM

Continue to spread your lies and misinformation. I see an immense amount of Ford Ecoboost with much higher mileage than GMs V8 with this crappy system.

Go Home!

@ Frank

Oh Frank....you are always so ANGRY!!!

I don't spread lies...100 million GM V8's sold!!!! That's all I need to say! If you can even fathom that amount, it would blow your mind!!!

BTW....you still never answered my question from yesterday!?!
LMFAO!!!

Go Home!

Posted by: Frank | Jan 25, 2018 3:37:06 PM

Oh boy, hard to comment on that without laughing. The ecoboost is not all that great, it is a problematic engine, and the fuel economy people are led to believe it gets is not happening in real world conditions. The 5.0 is a better choice for the long haul if getting an F150.

Angry, I really don't give a crap, I just hate people who spread rumors that are untrue.

It makes you less of a man to LIE, but I don't even think you even are.

Go home!

@ Frank

You hurt yourself every time u reply. Do us all a favor and Stop!

I am not spreading lies...do u not read other people's post. They agree they are not as reliable......swallow your pride and move along old man. You talk about fanboys...u are one of the worst!!

I respect Rams Hemi and Cummins and Ford's 5.0L. The new Titan is heck of truck

All u ever do is put bitter posts and comments.....

@papajim aka TNT--Sit down and shut up!

Their current v-8 AFM is a train wreck.
Posted by: TRX-4 Tom | Jan 25, 2018 12:49:16 PM

Train wreck? In what regard? There are over 4 million Gen V 6.2's, 5.3's, and 4.3's on the road today. Oil consumption is no longer an issue and lifter failures rates are a fraction of what they were on the Gen IV engine.

Based on my observations with the latest generation of V8's with AFM, it's a pretty effective system in most areas of the country. The fact that Ford's "modern" 32 Valve DOHC Ti-VCT 5.0L combined with a massive weight advantage, barely matched the 2014+ Silverado 6.2L and completely fell short of the 2014+ 5.3L V8's fuel economy.

It wasn't until 4 years later that the 2018 F-150 5.0L finally matched the fuel economy of the 2014 5.3L Silverado, but only with the help of aluminum, direct+port fuel injection, and a 10-speed automatic.

the FAKE Jeff S again.

GM
43.16 USD −1.02 (2.31%)
Closed: Jan 25, 4:44 PM EST

Frank is as brain dead as they come, don't even know why he cares. Last he said he had a v10 F250, which most lucky is still sitting on blocks in his yard broken.

@ Jeff S

Idk what your problem is....im not papajim

Calm down...reply to post with some dignity

@ Brick

It doesn't matter how many facts we throw at these "jealous fanboys"....some will never appreciate GMs motors, and never change.

Posted by: Ram Cummins | Jan 25, 2018 2:09:00 PM

Ford fans dont want you to know they need 91 octane when towing or loaded. :-(

Posted by: johnny doe | Jan 25, 2018 5:29:42 PM

YUP, just like this one different year. lol

sits in it wants and a while and wishes he could drive it. lol

FORD is a fleet queen brand. Most owners dont even drive them.

The 5.0 is a better choice for the long haul if getting an F150.

Posted by: SuperDutyF450 | Jan 25, 2018 4:12:28 PM

Or if you plan on using the truck for truck duties like snow plowing.

Gm's approach is impressive but neither Ford nor GM will win this fight.

RAM holds the cards with its new E Torque system. I'm 66 years old and have not been this impressed with a new idea in the auto industry in a very long time.

The 3.6 RAM engine with E Torque should easily satisfy the needs of the typical RAM 1500 owner while offering excellent boulevard manners and perfect highway fuel economy. All without the complexity of Ford's ecoboost, or the variable displacement tech from GM.

Best of all, the RAM boosts its low speed performance using energy stored from braking. Ford and GM boost theirs with gasoline.

RAM wins this round easily.

@TNT, what year is your truck? I have a similar set up and I can only squeeze 21 doing 70 highway, although if I go by the screen maybe I have 23. But by hand no go. I guess thats why I hate FE conversations, I never see what the brand loyal Chevy guys see unless they are only going by the screen.

-CT

@ CT

My truck is a 2017 GMC Sierra---5.3L, 3.42, and 8 spd. Just turned 19k on it.

Screen says 24.5, i calculate 23.8 to 24. the stretch I drive has to smaller towns where I have to slow to 45 then pick back up to 72ish. I am super satisfied with it.

BTW. I put E85 in it last week and I beat my step dads 13 ecoboost truck! I couldn't believe how much E85 wakes up the engine!!! Gas mileage went down to 19 though using E85, but here it ranges from $1.15 to $1.60 depending on where your at...its just not available in many places though, bc I wish it was!! The lower MPGs for the price is better than paying 2.50 for unleaded at 23-24mpgs. BUt don't get me wrong, the mpgs I get with it is awesome on unleaded.

Have you tried it yet CT??

@ CT

Truck is also programmed for better throttle response

Read this on e85:

@ TNTGMC :
I have the 6.2 in a Silverado and my best highway mileage was just under 22 mpg. 21.7 to be exact. Measured over 290 miles distance driving @ constant 70 mph speed. I always average over 21 MPG at highway speeds. I hear that the 5.3 gets outstanding highway mileage as you have indicated. As an auto technician myself I can tell you that your great mileage at highway speeds is mainly due to the engines higher compression (compared to 2013 and old Chevy's). The direct injection system allows the engineers to design in a higher compression ratio. More squeeze, more bang. Of course let's not forget that the 8 speed allows for a higher final drive along with DOD and VVT.

@ GMSRGREAT

Totally agree with you!! Couldn't be happier!! Sure who wouldn't want a 6.2L but the 5.3L is such a proven motor and it pulls my 5K lbs boat with ease. Plus I got it 10k under MSRP, So its a fully loaded SLT Premium Plus, just no sunroof but headrest DVDs for $18K less than a similar Denali on the lot without the 20% off. The 6.2L wasn't worth that much to me.

Have you used e85 in your 6.2L yet...i know they are compatible...

@TNTGMC: no I haven't used E85 in my 6.2 and to be honest, i'm not sure it is even recommended for use in the 6.2. I will have to check my owners manual. Make sure your owners manual states that E85 is recommended as a fuel for your truck. If it is not recommended, don't use it. It is known to be more corrosive to the fuel system.

It's recommended...i checked.
Plus, did u read the article above. Pretty interesting stuff. I've also read that some guys in the mustang forums are converting there coyote 5.0 over for e85 and love it.
I wasn't sure about it but it does make a difference....almost 30 hp and tq just by putting in gas without a performance tune is amazing

Deactivating cylinders doesnt improve hp,,
You want better simpler and more powerful engine,slap on Rotary Valves already..

It's all true about the performance benefits of E85 fuels because of its much higher octane rating. The computer is able to take advantage of this higher octance fuel and apply a more aggressive spark timing chart. These performance advantage may not be fully realized if your vehicle doesn't have the E85 rating.

"NOT only does the F-150 get the BEST gas mileage"

Better check the numbers on Rams Eco Diesel. lol

@ Lionel
Your point is futile!! The V8 does everything better than Fords turbo 6's......so whats your point???
Of course smart people would choose a simple yet effective v8 that LASTS and is capable of doing TRUCK DUTIES!!!

Uh...What? Gm's are down on hp, tq, mpgs, and most importantly sales....

@ Chris

Uh what??? 6.2L has more HP not TQ now bc ford just released new engine...just be patient. Plus both v8s perform as well as turbo 6s do...or even better.
And reliability is in there favor!! What's you point your trying to make??

Plus your Super Duty claims to have more of both but Duramax still beats it!

I'm holding out for all cylinder deactivation. :)

NOT only does the F-150 get the BEST gas mileage"

Better check the numbers on Rams Eco Diesel. lol

Posted by: HEMI V8 | Jan 26, 2018 7:19:24 PM

You are correct. Plus the GM V8 gets better all around fuel economy than the Ford Ecoboost trucks in real world truck use age. Currently the 2.8L inline diesel is the king of MPG in a pick up. But when Ram finally brings back the eco diesel to Canada, and GM inline 3.0L Duramax diesel comes out, and the Ford 3.0 L V6 diesel , the Ecoboost will be last in Fuel economy.

i'll take my chances with Ford

Posted by: eatin Chevys and shittin dodges | Jan 27, 2018 2:29:04 PM

Ha Ha! you said it. Take your chances. lol I dont have to take chances. My Rams have been bullet proof. Towing and off roading is all i use them for.

Good luck.lol

RECALL CITY FORD!

I see a lot of comments here from people who just have no knowledge of anything other than what they think or read online from others who don't know what they are talking about. My Trailblazer has this system and at around 150k runs and works just fine. More than that is the simple fact that they couldn't keep selling these bigger V8's without stuff like this. I'm happy they have this. I can eliminate it if I want to, but I can't make the engine bigger. The same with the Ford. I don't agree with the V6 stuff, but at least it is twin turbo. The companies are doing the best they can to make the EPA happy while making power that you didn't see in the Muscle car era. Even the stock (truly stock) 427's and 454's in top level form only make around 290RWHP. Todays truck are muscle car era quick with decent mileage and ability to work. Thank you big 3.

@Brick--Great video on Mobil 1. My middle brother had an 82 Buick Skylark with an Iron Duke 4 (fuel injection with 4 speed manual) that he ran for years on Mobil 1 with over 400k miles. Just like the video my brother went 20k miles before oil changes with mostly highway miles. The engine ran like new after all those miles. I am using Mobil 1 5w30 in my 2008 Isuzu I370 with a 3.7 5 cylinder.

More than that is the simple fact that they couldn't keep selling these bigger V8's without stuff like this. . .Posted by: Zippy | Jan 27, 2018

@Zippy

I'm confused by your comment. Nobody is presently even offering a "bigger V8" as you call it. If RAM or Ford or GM actually offered a 7 liter gas V8 in their half ton trucks they could charge an extra $1000 (at least) and sell every single one they make.

You can take that to the bank. GM and RAM presently offer upgrade V8s in the 380-to-400 cubic inch range and they charge extra and sell 'em like hotcakes.

@papa jim--Just the Hemi alone will sell many Ram trucks. The Hemi is not as efficient but it delivers a lot of power.

The comments in here reflect the intelligence and social status of the commenters. As always, those who earn more than $60k in wages per years are Chevy, Dodge & Toyota truck buyers. Those who earn less than $40K per year are Ford & Nissan truck buyers. Those that earn less that $25k per year and have zero hope of ever qualifying for a loan on anything but J D Byrider are people like Frank who get leftover Fords passed down through 6 owners.

Posted by: Jeff S | Jan 29, 2018 7:04:24 PM

Ram has been offering subprime financing and massive incentives for years to keep sales of the Ram 1500 up. The Hemi 5.7 is unchanged for 10 years and running. It's still using an old-school iron block and port fuel injection system. It's outdated enough that GM's little 5.3 running E85 puts out similar or better power. The 2019 Ram needed a modernized 5.7 Hemi. Seems like Fiat didn't want to shell out the money to do it.