2018 One-Ton Truck Challenge Preview: Here's the 2018 Ford F-350 Lariat

03-ford-f-350-2018-cc

By Brian Normile

Our second competitor in our 2018 One-Ton Heavy-Duty Truck Challenge was this 2018 Ford F-350 Lariat. You've already seen the 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 High Country previewed here, so let's dive into what this F-350 offered our judges.

As a quick reminder, this test was for 4x4, crew-cab, single-rear-wheel trucks powered by diesel engines, and our pricing target was $75,000. Where the F-350 differed from the Silverado 3500 is in its optional features. For both, a diesel engine is a roughly a $9,000 option; however, the F-350 adds another $11,000 in features on top of the Power Stroke motor.

Racking up those extra costs is pretty easy. A 3.55:1 rear axle ratio is an extra $390, which seems reasonable, as does the $400 FX4 Off-Road Package. The significant charges were for things like the Lariat Ultimate Package, which adds navigation, LED bed lighting, remote start, a tailgate step, and 10-way heated and ventilated front seats for $3,255.

Towing tech racked up nearly $2,500 in extras: $500 for a fifth-wheel hitch prep package and $1,970 for Ford's towing tech bundle that includes adaptive steering, a lane-keeping alert system and a towing-focused camera system.

Chromed 20-inch aluminum wheels ($1,140), LED headlights ($1,080) and adaptive cruise control ($740) were the next three largest charges. Sprinkle in a few more goodies and the total cost of options on the F-350 came to $20,640. Add that and a $1,295 destination fee to a starting price of $52,535 and you get at $74,470 truck.

Our next and final competitor was a 2018 Ram 3500 Laramie, which we'll introduce Friday. Stay tuned for that preview and the full results of our 2018 One-Ton Heavy-Duty Truck Challenge Monday.

Cars.com photos by Chris Collard

48-ford-f-350-2018-cc

49-ford-f-350-2018-cc

51-ford-f-350-2018-cc

52-ford-f-350-2018-cc

53-ford-f-350-2018-cc

2018 Ford F-350 Monroney large

For a larger version of the 2018 Ford F-350 Monroney, click on the picture above.

Comments

AND THAT YOU EAT THE WHOLE ENCHILADA B========D 💦💦💦💧AT YOUR MOMS HOUSE 🏠.

AND THAT YOU EAT THE WHOLE ENCHILADA B========D 💦💦💦💧AT YOUR MOMS HOUSE 🏠.

Posted by: Chingon | Jul 25, 2018 1:40:20 PM

GIVE IT A REST LOSER!! SHE LEFT YOU YEARS AGO AND DONT WANT YOU NO MORE.

I DRIVE A GMC SIERRA AND HAVE A DODGE CHALLENGER ALSO. FORD SUCKS.

AND THAT YOU EAT THE WHOLE ENCHILADA B========D 💦💦💦💧AT YOUR MOMS HOUSE 🏠.

Posted by: Chingon | Jul 25, 2018 1:40:20 PM

Chingon....you good for nothing cheat!!! You told me I was the only one!!! Its over for good this time!!

I am disappointed that Ford never put the 3.5 Eco-Boost in the Super Duty Trucks.
Maybe they don't want to take sales away from the F-150?
The 3.5 Eco-Boost is wonderful
I mean not only does it put out 475 ft. lbs or torque it gets 22-25 MPG doing it.
I love my 3.5 Eco-Boost in my F-150 so much.

@ grnzel

Glad u like your 6.2L. Yes its a shame. As u know my brother in law and nephew are huge ford fans. He is trying to find a half ton with a ,6.2L and they are hard to come by without a few miles on them. He is not an ecobust fan either.

To my ex-wife’s. Babes don’t get mad I have big vergota for the both of you so don’t worry. I have a big chorizo for the both of you and I drive the best FORDS. GARBAGE MOTORS IS FOR WUSSIES. Only big boys drives FORDS NOT LIKE THE FIAT TRUCKS OR THE GARBAGE MOTORS TRUCKS that they have big kittys.

Or pussys

It's hard to see on my phone and in the picture angle but is that the 8' bed? Tested against the Silverado with the 6.5' bed?

@BD

It ain't your phone. Every exterior photo is taken "long" so the bed is hard to make out. The wheelbase is very long and there's no way it's a 6.5 bed. Eight feet is probably a good guess.

Somebody at Ford needs to fire the designer and who ever approved that front fascia. Good god that's one butt ugly front end. But there are a few things about the truck that I like.
1- def. gauge, my Chevy only says ok or give a warning at about 1500 Kms left then more warnings the closer I get till empty.
2- def. filler location.
3- rear seat vents.

I like a lot more things with my truck than this one. And it pulls like you couldn't believe.

Papajim, I wonder how that will affect testing, probably an advantage toward the superduty in towing and handling, and whatever subjective nonsense they come up with. I don’t see why it’s so hard to find three identical trucks.

GUTLESS
GLORYLESS
FORD ALUMINUM TRUCKS DON'T CUT IT

GUTS
GLORY
CLASS LEADING
ALL METAL RAM HD

I don’t see why it’s so hard to find three identical trucks.
Posted by: BD | Jul 25, 2018

@BD

With all due respect, you may not understand that PUTC has a tiny budget for this sort of thing compared to somebody like Consumer Reports or even Motor Trend.

PUTC is borrowing these trucks. Consumer Reports BUYS 'em. The seller does not even realize who they are.

If you go to a dealer and say I want to buy, they'll move mountains to get you a $75K truck asap. If you're borrowing a truck, you get to make a few specifications and they do their best. Different scene entirely.

I think PUTC does a great job. I'm hoping the upcoming tests have minimal "subjective" stuff and a more objective evaluation & analysis.

A nice truck and I almost bought one but it was a tough sell being so much more expensive than comparably equipped GM trucks. This mid level Lariat stickers at 4 grand more than the High Country. I know the aluminum body adds about 1K to the cost of the Ford trucks, but not sure what we’re getting for the other 3K.

I have no idea what their budget is, how they conduct business, or what type of deals they make with dealers, manufacturers and other entities and individuals. In fact I couldn't care less about their affairs. What I do care about is a truthful and honest test and off the bat there is a glaring discrepancy between the two trucks already shown. These challenges have been dubious in the past, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you for a objective test.

I love men, ok? Sue me.

Me too.

I can drive my panzy truck and stroke my passenger's meat at the same time. All because the steering column offset allows me to. I looooove the cack!

@BD

It's tough to compete with guys talking about their boyfriends in their trucks. Weird!

Anyway. Let's see what the Challenge looks like before we get too critical. Agree?

The Ford makes the GM look even junkier. GM and their comical interior - feels like to are sitting elbow-t0-elbow. Not too mention all the junk that hangs down - frame, cross-member, def tank. Owners have to put nerf bars just to hide all that stuff.

Why does Ford even both displaying oil pressure? It's always at noon unless the oil pump or oil pressure switch fails, in which case it'll be at zero. They might as well removed the gauge and just put "Oil Pressure: Yes". Ford has done this for years in their trucks. They stopped displaying actual oil pressure after that stretch of terrible engines that would slowly lose oil pressure as the oil warmed up.

Agreed, I always look forward to these tests. As far as the weird comments go, I often skim the comments and ignore specific posters entirely.

Posted by: BD | Jul 25, 2018 9:12:08 PM

If it's like some of the other reviewing entities I have followed in the past, PUTC contacts the manufacturers, tells them about the testing they're going to do, and requests vehicle to test. It's up to the manufacturer and dealer to handle getting vehicles for them to test. It's their decsion, not PUTC's, on what truck they get, including which axle ratios, trims levels, towing or payload packages, etc come with the truck. PUTC or any other review has no control over what they ultimately receive.

LOL even with stil images I swear I can see the death wobble.

It's gotta be nerve wracking to test these trucks. It doesn't take much to crack these aluminum beds.

Looks very nice and I have had good luck with my fords.

Can someone explain to me why I can get a column shift on a $75,000 F-350 Lariat, but on a $45k F-150 Lariat, Ford forces the console shift on me?

I would much prefer the column shift and the beautiful wide open console on my next truck, rather than the space wasting console shift. Ford is making me consider switching to Ram on my next truck by making stupid decisions for me. I can get a column shift and bucket seats on an XLT, but the Lariat with bucket seats forces console shift. I don't want to take up a cupholder with my wallet and cell phone if I don't have to.

Posted by: igve2shtz | Jul 26, 2018

@igve2shtz

Reality intrudes again! With the RAM you get a DIAL SHIFTER. Are you sure that's what you want. Why not drop by your local Chevy dealer and test drive a new 2019?

The dial shifters and console shifters in Ford and RAM trucks are for GIRLYGIRLS. Real men drive trucks with COLUMN SHIFTERS!!

Let it be written....let it be DONE!!

Posted by: igve2shtz | Jul 26, 2018 7:44:59 AM

Ford is slowly turning the F-150 into a family car. Not long ago they built them like trucks with real column shifters. But city boys are buying more and more halftons they prefer console shifters. Ford is pushing the console shifter into more and more trucks, so that what you're stuck with these days. It's a disappointing trend.

Posted by: Brawndo | Jul 25, 2018 10:53:15 PM

Yeah Ford stopped putting real oil gauges in their trucks a few years ago. They don't want people coming in complaining when the engine slowly stops building as much oil pressure as the cam bushings wear or the hydraulic TC tensioners start leaking. They started doing that on the diesel trucks too. Just a an oil pressure switch now. It's just there to trigger a message that pops up in the DIC, letting you know that you just lost oil pressure and need a new engine.

That XLT interior in this Larit looks like a low budget fleet queen special from Hetz,

@Walt- the gear ratios used to cost $50. I Could drive to the Ram, F150, upcoming Ranger, Jeep truck, GM HD plants all in an hour, and I'm supposed to cough an extra $1200?

A proper Dana S60 front axle - I might add.. ;)
Posted by: Grnzel | Jul 25, 2018 10:01:17 AM

Well close enough. A proper Dana front axle should have kingpins, not ball joints. I don't car if it affects turn radius.