2019 Ford Ranger Chassis Cab: Spied

Ranger.ChassisCab.g02.KGP.ed II

With the all-new 2019 Ranger slated to go on sale by the end of the year, you can bet Ford is looking to promote the new mid-size pickup truck across all the possible consumer markets, which includes fleet and commercial buyers. No matter what small diesel or gas engine Ford puts under the hood ā€” or possibly a hybrid powertrain ā€” fuel efficiency is likely to be a high priority for those shopping in this class. Here's what one of our spy shooters just sent us:

"Offering a box-delete option on the new 2019 Ford Ranger would be a direct answer to the Chevrolet Colorado, which has offered such an option since 2015. A Ranger chassis-cab model would be a direct competitor to the boxless Chevy Colorado in the battle for the blossoming mid-size work-truck market in North America.

"The pickup prototype caught here is just what one would expect from a Ranger chassis cab: a base XL trim with steel wheels in the SuperCab configuration to offer the most flexibility for a custom box design.

"Upon its initial introduction in January at the Detroit auto show, the 2019 Ranger was shown as a SuperCrew cab with a 5-foot short bed or a SuperCab with a 6-foot bed."

KGP Photography images

Ranger.ChassisCab.g01.KGP.ed II

Ranger.ChassisCab.g04.KGP.ed II

Ranger.ChassisCab.g06.KGP.ed II

Ranger.ChassisCab.g03.KGP.ed II

Comments

@fullsize

Ford and Chevy buyers are like Methodists and Baptists. Do you really think the Chevy guys will jump the fence just because Ford came out (finally!) with a mid-size? It's more likely that Ford's half ton will lose some sales to the Ranger, especially in regard to commercial models.

On the other hand I can't picture suburbanites who love their upscale F150 crewcabs suddenly shifting downmarket to buy a Ranger. You can also count on Ford to sell upscale Rangers for a while. Don't expect to see too many bare bones Rangers until some of the glow has worn off.

Posted by: FullSize_only | Jul 16, 2018 7:25:20 PM

LOL!! Seriously? I'm not taking sides but that's hilarious! Your commenting like that on the Ranger with a username like yours

Posted by: FullSize_only | Jul 16, 2018 7:43:44 PM

Why are you be so concerned that GM sells 4 models because Ford should be able to do it with "FullSize_ only"......riiiight?.

@ Jim

Your not taking sides? Yet you left out the actual context of my comment when you took that cheapshot at me. LOL

"what is an idiot and hypocrite with a user name "GMSRGREAT" doing commenting on a FORD Ranger article??

Posted by: FullSize_only | Jul 16, 2018 7:25:20 PM

Posted by: Jim | Jul 16, 2018 8:04:27 PM"

GMSRNTGREAT tries to tell me that why would I comment on an article about the Ranger with my username and I can't help but chuckle and use his twisted logic against him. If you can't see my point in the comment I made then I think I'm wasting my time explaining to you and you need more help than I can provide you.....

The full size F-150 Eco-Boost gets better MPG's than ALL other brands of smaller compact trucks.
So Ford is on the hot seat to make the Ranger get up to 30 MPG's

It would look bad when a full size F-150 Eco-Boost gets 24 MPG and a Ranger only gets 22 MPG
I trust Ford won't let us down.

The F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 and 3.5 engines are so wonderful, an engineering masterpiece work of art with the most power, torque and performance while getting the best gas mileage, with the reserve power for it to pull the highest towing and payload of any truck in it's class.

My point: The Ranger is going to have to prove something better than the F-150 Eco-Boost such as better gas mileage or it won't sell.
As an alternative instead of an SUV?
I just don't know?
I want to see the performance , payload, hauling, and MPG numbers before I buy one, if the Ranger falls short then I keep my F-150 Eco-Boost

I mean it has to better than what I own now!

@ecoboost rules

Please continue---don't be shy. Are you saying that you like the F150 ecoboost the best?

@ ecobust
Highest towing in its class? The other day you said it could haul and tow as much as an HD? What happened?

@ ecoboost
Lol I'm with papajim, please elaborate, you think the ecoboost is good??

Never was interested in a small or midsize, or even half-ton truck without its standard box. I haven't see a second-gen model upfit yet, just a lot of first-gen models, including a midbox option. That model looks the best as the box almost looks like a standard long box. Nevertheless, this boxless option will find a niche following.

Nevertheless, this boxless option will find a niche following.
Posted by: Liam | Jul 17, 2018

Well said Liam. The first mainstream aftermarket vendor to offer a whiz-bang solution that upfits the Ranger like a cube body, a camper body or a small roach-coach body will score.

I'm interested to see how quickly this truck overtakes the GM twins in sales.

Posted by: redbloodedxy | Jul 16, 2018 7:44:20 AM

For every Ranger sold , a F-150 doesn't.
Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jul 16, 2018 10:18:04 AM

Wishful thinking by a gm fan, what is more likely to happen is a return to Ford outselling Gm in full-size trucks AND small trucks.

Posted by: FullSize_only | Jul 16, 2018 12:27:29 PM

\\\\

I disagree. Truck people are loyal. I believe the ranger will cannibalize the f-150 because you do hear a lot of people talking about how large the half tons have gotten. It doesn't mean they will jump ship but they will certainly step down in size and price if it fits them.

Ford knows this. It's why they kept the Ranger out of the US for as long as they did. It would have cost them virtually nothing as they had a global Ranger they could have sold here for years. Hell they are everywhere in Mexico. It's marketing and the fact that the Ranger will not ever make as much money per vehicle as the f-150. One f-150 sale lost to Ranger is lost profit for Ford. They wanted it gone, but the market forced their hand.

I trust Ford won't let us down.

Posted by: Ecoboost Rules | Jul 17, 2018 1:34:25 AM

Hello Mike Levine...

A V6 with a couple turbos is an engineering masterpiece?? Hmmm

the Ranger will not ever make as much money per vehicle as the f-150....Posted by: andrwken | Jul 17, 2018

@andrwken

Don't be so sure. It's all about lousy competition. As much as I love my 2009 Chevy, Ford was mostly alone in the half ton ranks during the last ten years.

RAM and GM tried hard but RAM only sells about half as many full size as Ford and although GM sells more total trucks, Ford leads in the full-size ranks. Their focus on engineering and product development really shows, but now GM and RAM are finally catching up.

Ford will need the Ranger to compete, and margins will be a secondary consideration until Ford is solidly number one.

This thing better be good because no one will buy it for it's looks.
Sure is one ugly piece.

What a weak looking turd!! LMBO!!!!!!! Look how cute that tiny little pop can frame is LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This won't sell.

Not a bad looking truck. I am sure that depending on the number of variants that Ford offers this may take a large slice from the Tacoma. I don't even think the Ridgeline is relevant in the pickup truck market. I think some of the Honda designers must be doing a side hustle as GM as for the ugly new Silverado. Who in their right mind would put the fender on the outside of the bumper? Once again this is why Ford has been a leader in truck sales for so many years. They are fairly conservative and they cover their bases by offering a broad array of configurations and options that appeal to a number of consumers.

@papa

So what your saying is you think Ford is going to have better margins on the Ranger than the F-150? Which was my entire point? Which has never been the case in the history of any of the big 3? But its going to happen this time around?

Iā€™m not sure what your getting at here. What company would not choose to make more money per vehicle than have low margins and need to produce more? Is that not the reason Ford is bailing on cars? The Ranger never saw any meaningful updates for 20 years until they killed it. What does that say about their mindset about it?

The market forced them back into a Ranger.

I meant to propose that we don't yet know what the market for full size and mid size trucks will be like 3--5 years from now. Look at what happened to coupes and sedans during the last 10 years. Will crossover SUVs still be the hot ticket in five years?

We just don't know.

Here's what I do know. I think that Nissan and Toyota will refine their full size offerings and become more competitive with their half ton trucks. This will put pressure on the margins for GM and Ford for sure. I'm not even sure RAM will be making full size trucks in five years.

I'm saying that things will not stay the same.

Did you not also predict aluminum trucks and turbo engines wouldn't sell.
Posted by: frankinFL

Did Ford fans not predict that aluminum F-150's would be a "game changer" that would allow Ford to raise prices and practically eliminate any need for incentives on the F-150. They were hyped up over the aluminum truck, predicting Ford's profits were going to skyrocket and they would gobble up huge chunks of marketshare. And yet here we are. Ford dealers have had to offer as much as $15k on brand new 2018 F-150's to get them sold, all despite that "game changing" aluminum and the latest engine lineup of any half-ton truck. Why does the newest half-ton in the market, made of "miltary grade" "game-changing" super aluminum alloy technology, need to drop so much money on the hood to compete against a bunch of old pickup trucks? Even back in 2015, Ford had to put $11k on the hoods of slow-selling 2015 F-150's half way through the first year. Since the "game changing" aluminum F-150 hit the market, Ford's stock value has continued its downward slide. In the last 4 years, Ford stock has lost over 35% of its value.

-----------

I dont long for any "good ole days" but i do remember the Ford Ranger outselling the Gm small trucks even with the Ranger being a much older design when it was put on ice back in 2011.
Posted by: FullSize_only

The Colorado/Canyon outsold the Ranger in 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007. By then the Colorado/Canyon was in need of a major update. The inline-5 wasn't a very good engine for power or efficiency and the 4-speed only made things worse. The Ranger was able to average 61k in sales the last 4 years, but there was a reason for that:

"In speaking to Autoblog last year, Ford says that its research shows that the vast majority of Ranger customers don't even buy the vehicle because it's a pickup. Instead, these Rangers are sold because customers are looking for the least-expensive, most economical Ford vehicle available."

And big chunk of Ranger sales towards the end were fleet sales.
In 2007, 38% of Rangers sold went to fleet buyers.
In 2008, 37%
In 2009, 30%
In 2010, 36%

So the Ranger kept sales up towards the end because a third of all sales were to Car Quest and Napa. Retail buyers bought them because they were the cheapest truck on the Ford lot.

---------

Sure the those charts show Gm selling more all classes combined trucks but i mean it would be really embarrassing if 2 brands and 4 models they didnt outsell Ford's 1 model series. (no different than Silverado series/Sierra series, we have been thru this).

Posted by: FullSize_only

Embarrassing for who? GM doesn't care if they sell more trucks by putting two different badges on the front of the same truck. GM has 3 "model series":

mid-size truck
light-duty full-size truck
heavy-duty full-size truck

GM builds each of these series, then slaps one of the two brand logos on the front.

You know what? What was more embarrassing had to be when GM sold more fullsize trucks than Ford in 2015 despite Ford having that "game changing" aluminum wonder truck. Even more embarrassing is seeing the 2018 F-150 being advertised with up to $15k in incentives despite being the newest half-ton, being made out of "game changing" aluminum, and having the a 10 speed and the newest engine. It must have been REALLY embarrassing for Ford when the headlines last week said "GM Tops Rival Ford In Pickup Truck Market Share". So much for that "game changing" aluminum hype.

This is one ugly truck and my name screen name BA stands for Bleached Anus.

@ RickJames Hit a sore spot did we.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! What a cheesy looking truck with that Taurus front grill. It is goofy looking just like my ex-hubby Chingon.

HAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA

I just love some BA if you know what I mean

@ FrankinFl
I usually hit all the sore spots

Hit a sore spot did we.
Posted by: FrankinFlorida

Does it bother your that not only has aluminum turned Ford trucks into a laughingstock, Ford it has helped Ford edge ever closer to bankruptcy. Don't worry Frank, I'm sure Mary Barra would be willing to beg congress to bailout Ford yet again.

@ Phillip

Call me

@RickJames WOW it was a sore spot. You might want to cover that up. Those aluminum trucks are an embarrassment as they still outsell GM.

@ Phillip and Frank

I prefer straight Clorox for the lighter look. Some dilute it with a little water but not me.

Those aluminum trucks are an embarrassment as they still outsell GM.
Posted by: frankinFL | Jul 18, 2018 7:06:34 AM

Ford: The McDonalds cheeseburger of the truck industry. They're mediocre but they sell more of them. King of the suburbs.

a 4cyl turbo in a truck is pathetic. No manufacturer in their right mind would ever put a 4cyl in a truck and then brag about it's capabilities. Only an idiot would ever buy a pickup with a 4cyl turbo.

Posted by: johnnydoe | Jul 18, 2018 9:47:40 PM

I didn't post that!! I don't know who is posting under one of my other usernames but they better stop!!

an aluminum bed in a truck is pathetic. No manufacturer in their right mind would ever put a aluminum bed in a truck and then brag about it's capabilities. Only an idiot would ever buy a pickup with an aluminum bed.

Posted by: BA

DING DING DING

Yup. Ford needs to try to call their bed "military grade" to get them to sell. There's a reason their "torture test" for the bed was a guy hitting golf balls at a bed. That's because if they showed an Ford truck doing real work with an aluminum bed, they'd go through a hundred aluminum beds before they got enough footage to make their trucks look like they could handle it. The beds are a joke!