2019 Ford Ranger Vs. 2019 Chevrolet Colorado: A Classic Ford-Chevy Confrontation Renewed

2019 Ford Ranger and 2019 Chevrolet Colorado Illustration

By Brian Normile

For our last (for now, anyway) comparison involving the all-new 2019 Ford Ranger, let's look at the Chevrolet Colorado, the mid-size truck offered by Ford's long-standing enemy. Although not the top seller in the class (which is the Toyota Tacoma), the Colorado is well-established in the mid-size marketplace as a solid competitor. Redesigned for the 2015 model year, the Colorado is ahead of the new Ranger when it comes to engine offerings (3), wheelbase choices (2), and, possibly, feature combinations — including a pair of impressive dedicated off-road versions in the ZR2 and ZR2 Bison.

Related: 2019 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Bison: Hitting the Trails That Hit Back

For now, let's focus on the more practical sides of these mid-size trucks, including measurements, fuel economy, and towing and hauling. Here's how they compare:

Measurements

RANGER (in inches; all models unless otherwise noted)

• Wheelbase: 126.8 (only one offered)
  • Length: 210.8
  • Width: 85.8 (from mirror to mirror)
  • Height: 71.1 (SuperCrew 4x2 and SuperCab 4x4); 71.5 (SuperCrew 4x4); 70.7 (SuperCab 4x2)

COLORADO

• Wheelbase: 128.3 (extended and crew cab); 140.5 (crew cab with 6-foot-2-inch bed)
  • Length: 212.7 (extended and crew cab); 224.9 (crew cab with 6-foot-2-inch bed)
  • Width: 74.3
  • Height: 70.4 or 70.3 (extended cab with two-wheel drive or four-wheel drive); 70.7 or 70.6 (crew cab, 5-foot-2-inch bed with 2WD or 4WD); 70.6 or 70.5 (crew cab, 6-foot-2-inch bed with 2WD or 4WD)

Fuel Economy

2019 Ford Ranger Exterior

The Ranger's sole powertrain when it first goes on sale will be the turbocharged 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission. The Colorado, meanwhile, has more diversity among its available engines: a 2.5-liter inline four-cylinder gas engine, a 3.6-liter V-6 gas engine and a 2.8-liter inline four-cylinder turbo-diesel. The gas four-cylinder is available with either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission; the diesel gets the same six-speed automatic, while the V-6 gets an 8-speed automatic. V-6 and diesel Colorados will run 3.42:1 axle gears; the four-cylinder offers standard 4.10:1 gears.

As we recently covered, the Ranger narrowly takes the gas engine mpg crown from the Colorado, at least according to the EPA. The Colorado's available diesel engine is still the overall mpg leader among all available engines, however. All Rangers will offer 3.73:1 axle gears.

RANGER

• 21/26/23 mpg city/highway/combined (2WD)
  • 20/24/22 mpg (4WD)

COLORADO

• 20/26/22 mpg (2WD four-cylinder gas engine)
  • 19/24/21 mpg (4WD four-cylinder gas engine)
  • 18/25/20 mpg (2WD V-6)
  • 17/24/19 mpg (4WD V-6)
  • 20/30/23 mpg (2WD diesel)
  • 19/28/22 mpg (4WD diesel)
  • 16/18/17 mpg (ZR2 V-6)
  • 18/22/19 mpg (ZR2 diesel)

Towing and Payload

2019 Chevrolet Colorado Hill Climbing

While we're still awaiting a full breakdown of the Ranger's various trim level towing and payload capabilities, we do have the maximum numbers for now.

RANGER

• Bed length: 61 inches (SuperCrew); 72.8 inches (SuperCab)
  • Max payload: 1,560 pounds (SuperCrew 4x4); 1,650 (SuperCab 4x4); 1,770 (SuperCrew 4x2); 1,860 (SuperCab 4x2)
  • Max towing capacity: 7,500 pounds

COLORADO

• Bed length: 62 inches or 74 inches
  • Max payload: 1,100 pounds (ZR2); 1,366 (Z71 extended cab, 5-foot-2-inch bed with 2WD four-cylinder gas engine and Z71 crew cab, 6-foot-2-inch bed with 4WD diesel) to 1,574 (Work Truck extended cab, 5-foot-2-inch bed with 2WD V-6)
  • Max towing: 3,500 pounds (2WD extended cab with either 5-foot-2-inch or 6-foot-2-inch bed and four-cylinder gas engine) to 7,000 (2WD and 4WD models with quipped with max tow package and V-6, excluding ZR2) or 7,700 (2WD models equipped with Max Tow Package and diesel engine)

More From PickupTrucks.com:

Cars.com graphic by Paul Dolan; photo by Angela Conner; manufacturer images

Chevrolet Colorado Towing Motorcylces

Comments

The Colorado looks better on papar, on the street and in the driveway.

I still dont understand how or why the combined ratings for the Colorado are no where near to the average? Is this Intentional? Either way if I were looking for a highway queen I'd choose the Colorado for both on paper and real world highway fuel economy. I believe there was a real world result of almost 33mpg out of the diesel. Don't remember if it was 2 or 4-wheel drive.

Can't wait for the new Ranger to appear. Its only gonna get better with time. So much for the Colorado. Its days are now numbered.

Should be a really good comparison

Gm twins will perform very well like GM products always do

Ranger has had 4 years of researching/testing against Colorado/canyon to have a very competitive midsize truck

I really like both trucks. One problem that I would have with the Ford, is that it only has one wheelbase...I would definitely want a crew cab, but I don't want the tiny bed version (I think I am in the minority on this though). I like the slightly higher mpg's of the Ford, but I am not sure if this translates to a real world advantage, will be watching upcoming tests to find out. Will be interesting to see what they do with the Colorado when it gets updated soon, maybe they will add the 2.7?

I would not even consider a Tacoma at this point, until they FINALLY come out with a new model. It looks ancient and about the only advantage I can see, is perhaps a slightly more reliable truck (though the Tacoma's reliability has not been stellar).

@ Texas1836--Good analysis, agree with most of your points. I like both the Canyon and Ranger and both have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't think anyone could be wrong in choosing either one. I lived in Texas for over 29 years. A great state with a lot of interesting history.

Strength is shown in the payload and towing numbers where the Ford has a huge lead. As one poster noted, the Colorado will look pretty in the driveway. However, as the specs show, that's why you'd buy it, not to do any serious hauling or towing. If you want a mid-size truck that you can preen over while your neighbors admire its look, then either truck will do. But if you want the truck for functionality in the real world, the Ranger is your choice.

But if you want the truck for functionality in the real world, the Ranger is your choice...Posted by: Dale | Dec 16, 2018

What a bigot! You haven't even driven one yet and you've already chosen the winner, based entirely on magazine articles.

Colorado has the highest fuel efficiency and highest towing capacity in it class all wrapped up in the one package. Ford can't claim that on any truck they make.

Disagree the Chevy Colorado/Canyon are very functional trucks would not hesitate to use them for what I use my current trucks for. My S-10 has done everything I need it to do from hauling things, picking things up, and anything else I need it to do. I use to use my Mitsubishi Mighty Max truck to pull tree stumps out. If I needed to use my current trucks for that I am sure I could do it especially with a good chain and lots of prep work. I would be careful where I hooked the chain up but that is true of any truck. I would also say the same thing for the current Frontier and Tacoma.

When will they make a truck in between a Ranger and F-150 in size? That is what I need.

Why is the width of the Ranger Mirror to Mirror? Nobody looks at this measurement. How are we to compare?

The Colorado looks better on papar, on the street and in the driveway.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Dec 16, 2018 8:30:52 AM

The Ranger is more capable on paper. Will likely accelerate better and feel quicker with it's gobs of torque. I personally have never been a fan of the Colorado's mini van front bumper cover look. Other than that, they both look okay. The Tacoma is hands down the best looking midsize truck, but it fails elsewhere. The manufacturers have neglected the segment again. It's what killed the compacts to begin with. Oh well. I will be picking up my shootout winning, Motor Trend Truck of the year Ram 1500 in March.

Let me be clear, that my new Ram won't be as fast as a 6.2 GM or any of the EcoBootst F-150's. I'm content with it just being better.

Both trucks look will preform very well. I wouldn't be dissatisfied with either....Posted by: papajim | Dec 16, 2018

The FAKE papa strikes again. He was not able to "preform" very well, was he?

Posted by: Jason Hicks | Dec 16, 2018

That's why they're called r-a-t-i-n-g-s. We have to wait until the real world facts are in. Go talk to people who own Colorados. Ditto when the Ranger comes along. Get first-hand impressions.

The magazine editors are all pounding the drum for the Ranger. The GM twins have a big bullseye on their backs. Unfortunately the Asian twins have not shown up for this fight, so it's Ranger vs GM midizers.

Which ever truck comes with optional heated floor mats for my saggy ballsack will get my money. You too GMSRGREAT?

Of course it was fake papajim. Only he, myself and GMSRGREAT would blindly buy the inferior GM truck because we're GM shills. #teamsaggyballs

This will show you how stupid GMSRGREAT is....

The guy thinks GENERAL MANAGERS are great. What else can his username mean? It would make sense if it said “ CHEVYSRGREAT, or GMisGREAT “.

But as it stands, he’s clueless

Rumer has it is that the fake papajim is a Ford owner.

Rumer has it is that the fake papajim is a Ford owner.

Ranger, selling 17,000 units a month by May 2019. GM may want to consider reporting their sales numbers annually.

The guy thinks GEMERAL MANAGERS are great.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Dec 16, 2018 2:57:39 PM

Global Ranger has very different characteristics to the US version. All varieties of the Ranger were developed in Broadmeadows, Victoria Australia

Ranger isnt available yet,,so why even compare these?
Slow news day?

Honestly except for the diesel Im kinda disapointed about Colorado mpg..

My 10 year old FULL SIZE Silvy w 4.8 V8 gets 3 mpg better mpg then Colorado 4 cyl..

This will show you how stupid GMSRGREAT is....

But as it stands, he’s clueless. He really is a moron.

Bold prediction here:
The Ranger will be the #2 selling mid size truck of 2019.
Ram will be the #2 selling full size truck of 2019.

Bold prediction here:
The Ranger will be the #2 selling mid size truck of 2019.
Ram will be the #2 selling full size truck of 2019.

Bold prediction here:
The Ranger will be the #2 selling mid size truck of 2019.
Ram will be the #2 selling full size truck of 2019.

The Ranger will be the #2 selling mid size truck of 2019.
Ram will be the #2 selling full size truck of 2019...Posted by: ---Built Ford Proud--- | Dec 16, 2018

So are you suggesting that GM won't sell more pickups than Ford once again in 2019? I'm thinking a lot of F150 customers are going to jump the fence and buy a Ranger next year, but it's hard to picture loyal GM customers doing it. Ditto RAM customers.

American truck brands have VERY loyal customers. My advice is wait a year before plunking down the bucks for a new Ranger. Let Ford work out the bugs.

Colorado has the highest fuel efficiency and highest towing capacity in its class all wrapped up in the one package. Ford can't claim that on any truck they make.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Dec 16, 2018 4:24:44 PM

Oh the hypocrisy of papajim.

Remember that idiot attacking other posters that had “ Ford “ in their username all while being hush hush towards fools like GMSRGREAT and TNTGMC?

That tells you what a biased bigot, and racist papajim is.

racist?

The Ranger looks way better on paper, on the street and in the driveway.
This is going to be a tough year for GM with the mid size twins going to third and fourth place. The end of the "builds more" drivel as the public is underwhelmed by the " new full size".
The Ranger is going to put a serious hurt on GM and the F Series will continue dominance and RAM will surpass Chevy to claim #2.
GM may wish to go to semi annual sales reporting.

The Colorado looks better on papar, on the street and in the driveway.
Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Dec 16, 2018 8:30:52 AM

The Ranger looks way better on paper, on the street and in the driveway.

Posted by: GM Blows Chunks | Dec 16, 2018 8:21:09 PM

U can't come up with your own statement, so, you copy mine and substitute words. Real original.

Posted by: Ford Rules GM Drools | Dec 14, 2018 3:32:25 PM

That Ford is making u lose brain cells.

99.9 % Accurate prediction:

In 2019, GM Sells trucks, Ford sells trucks, GM continues to sell more trucks.

99.9 % Accurate prediction:

In 2019, GM Sells trucks, Ford sells trucks, GM continues to sell more trucks.

Ranger vs GM twins for the mall-crawlin, gelded set.
Tacoma or Gladiator for those who actually go off-road.

racist?

Posted by: papajim | Dec 16, 2018 7:07:26 PM
————————-

What’s with the question mark following that word?

The way you are, the question mark should be a exclamation mark!

@Brawndo

you are a fool.

More of a reason to keep both of my Tacoma's!

Just waiting for the head to head comparisons. Im pretty confident the Ranger will in a year or 2ish outsell the chevy, but not overtake the Taco in NA for a decade if ever.

Since the most common version in this segment is the 4wd Crew, wouldn't it make the most sense to compare the numbers for both trucks in that version?
They cost the same, weigh the same, use about the same amount of fuel... The Tacoma is a scoche wider inside, the Ford and GM have more rear legroom (but not as much as the Ridgeline or Gladiator).
The Ford tows more and should come off the line quickest. The Tacoma is the only one to offer a manual- in the TRD OffRoad, which costs the same as these midlevel automatics.

Things are only getting better in the segment- Nissan should be showing their new Frontier some time this auto show season. The Tacoma is due in 2020 or 2021, the Updated Colorado should be here about the same time. The Dakota reboot should materialize in the same time frame.

No one will buy this s^&t box ford! One engine no options but cheap hard plastic over priced junk! Ford aint over taking anyone, maybe honda if their lucky LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!