2019 Ford Ranger Photo Gallery: New Kid on the Mid-Size Block

14-ford-ranger-lariat-2019

It probably seems like ages ago since we posted one of the first head-to-head comparison tests pitting the returning all-new 2019 Ford Ranger against the top-selling 2018 Toyota Tacoma. But it wasn't; we published that story between Christmas and New Year's days.

Related: Returning 2019 Ford Ranger Takes on Top-Selling 2018 Toyota Tacoma: Video

Even though holiday schedules made doing the test challenging, we thought you'd want to know how the newest kid on the block matched up to the biggest player on the mid-size pickup truck field. So, we worked our butts off to get it to you. And from the number of comments the story has generated so far — almost 250 comments between the original post and the follow-up video post — many of you appreciated it and even had some constructive criticism (seriously, we do appreciate the constructive comments).

While the head-to-head test was not as comprehensive as our class-wide Challenges, we're hoping to do more comparison testing with the Ranger as the year progresses, but we thought this was a good start. Naturally, there are more variables to be considered in future tests and we'd love to see if we can get our hands on some stripped-down, base-level, mid-size pickups to see how they compare.

Until that time comes, though, we are in possession of many photos of each competitor from the head-to-head test, so we're sharing them with you. We'll follow up on this Ford Ranger photo gallery with a Toyota Tacoma gallery in the days to come. Enjoy.

Cars.com photos by Evan Sears

11-ford-ranger-lariat-2019

10-ford-ranger-lariat-2019

15-ford-ranger-lariat-2019

IMG_3819 II

16-ford-ranger-lariat-2019

01-ford-ranger-lariat-2019 copyA

Comments

That is great news, and believe me after the press release that Ford published today regarding their exit from the European market they could use some good news.

Posted by: papajim | Jan 10, 2019 7:22:18 PM

Why do you lie jimbo? Ford is NOT pulling out of Europe

Here is what Ford is planning to do with their European operations:

Introduce a number of measures to cut costs in key areas such as purchasing and engineering

Cut a number of jobs throughout the region
Bloomberg is reporting that thousands could be cut. Armstrong declined to give a number of cuts. Also in the cards is possible plant closures.

Review its operations in Russia

Grow their lineup of crossovers and SUVs in the region, along with bringing more niche models like the Mustang

Double-down on their commercial vehicle lineup

Offer electrified powertrains on all models

Leverage relationships, "including a potential alliance with Volkswagen AG, to support commercial vehicle growth."

Fake news Papa.
That is not what Ford is doing and nor what the press release said. You know full well why lie, that's a bit beneath you. There is no need, you're a big boy actually a rather senior boy,you should be able to handle what's really going on Speak accurately maintain your dignity.

Here is the article for u two clowns

Hope u can read

Makes me laugh especially when the ZR2, you know the model where the airbags go off when you go over the shopping mall speed bump have huge cash on the hood to try to overcome the bad PR.

@ blows chunks

A defective air bag can be replaced. A fire 150 can't. U can go up in smoke with those trucks. Be my guest.

tnt
I read the press release I've read the articles that's why I called out papa for being fake maybe you need to do the reading.

@TNTGMC

Where does it state in that link/article Ford is pulling out of Europe?

You know,what your fellow GM humper papajim claims

I was stating from my previous post to papajim the job cuts. With Ford and GM cutting jobs. Its b#ll$h!t!

Thats all I was stating. Do I believe they will leave. If you lost 82% of your earnings. It's only a matter of time...that's common sense

@Brawndo

Do you ever read about this stuff.

GM sold their stake in Opel just in time. That was about 18 months ago. Since then the dollar has gone up in value and it means that nobody wants to buy Ford assets at a dollar-denominated price that makes sense for Ford and their buyer.

It is the opposite of the situation back when Ford bought Volvo back when. To make matters much worse this happens at a time when Ford wants to right-size the corporation and sell some global assets because the only place where Ford's making any money is North America. Bad situation. The price for fixing it is expected to run north of 10 billion dollars.

These are public facts. If you have facts or figures that disagree please share. Otherwise go home.

So you lied...again

Thanks for admitting you talk crap.

@GMBlowChunk.
"Rangers on lot and presold."

Curious what region you are in?
OK, I'll keep a keener eye out for them, 30mile radius from Tesla plant.

Presently diesel is the big deal in Europe but the EU's environmental agencies are very unhappy about the emissions cheating. It's possible that all of the major automakers were doing it to some degree or another.

Referring to Europe's fondness for diesel power, Ford’s president in Europe says pressure to build electric and hybrid cars has forced them to make some tough decisions about capital allocation. (For those of you who live in Mom's basement (GM blows chunks, Brawndo and Just the Truth) that means how they invest their money...

So you lied about Ford exiting Europe.

Like you lied about ATP.

Like you lied about GM outselling Ford in trucks for 5 straight years ( Ford out sold both full size GM divisions and both mid size divisions in 2014 )

That’s 3 lies this week alone. You are a disgrace jimbo.

I don't know who Jimbo is.

However I recognize that your posts are uploaded under the name of another commenter on this site.

You and another perfect jerk do that a lot. Whatever.

I'm not interested in attempting to communicate with you.

Like I said earlier.
I actually read the Press Release, as well as the articles from both sides of the Atlantic. You just seem to have issue with being called out. When that happens you go on to personally disparage. I get you have issues, thats OK. A fair amount of the time when you are being intellectually honest you are acttually tolerable. Seriously stop trying to be the smartest person you know,stay in lane.

Yes, I have question do you think you will still be bloviating at the reporting of 1st quarter sales tally?

Posted by: GM Blows Chunks | Jan 10, 2019 6:21:10 PM

I seem to recall you predicting Fords conquering of the pick-up trucks sales title for the last several years. Why settle for just one quarter results, let the annual sales predictions begin. Now you have your Ford mid size, care to predict who will sell the most pick-ups in 2019?

Anyone know if it comes with a Fire extinguisher?

@Gm blows chunks

I'm not interested in attempting to communicate with you further. Good luck

Papajim You are just mad because I proved you wrong. You don't handle that very well.

I’m not interested in attempting to communicate with you.

Posted by: papajim | Jan 10, 2019 9:29:27 PM

That’s ok. You’re nothing but a pathetic liar.

And I’ll be sure to keep exposing your lies jimbo. Capeesh papaTROLL?

@GMS
My daft comment rings true. You say I've been predicting a Ford title for several years on the site. You are wrong all day long once again, I been on this site maybe a little more than a year, not " years" as you incorrectly claim. Wrong again as I have made no such prediction. I have along the way pointed out the difficulties that GM was going to have in the time since I've been on this site with the errosion in its market share and particular the climb of Ram against Chevrolet. With Ford's announcement of the return of Ranger I have made a pretty clear and concise reasoning as to why Ford will take over all manufacture lead.
I am making that prediction for 2019 since you asked directly. I'm sure you're aware a year is built quarter by quarter.
I have confidence in this prediction as Ford has a sizable lead over GM in full size trucks. My prediction is that this will continue and that Ford will cover the mid size gap. I make no particular 1st quarter prediction. I'm just simply eager to see the numbers as is everyone else.

As for others , luck may work for them
I rely on knowledge, skill and perseverance. Therefore save luck for themselves as it may be more beneficial.

Posted by: GM Blows Chunks | Jan 10, 2019 10:25:13 PM

I believe Ford will limit Ranger availability in various forms to protect cannibilzation of the F-series . GM will soon have the new full size twins available in all configurations. End result ,GM continues as the #1 truck manufacturer this time next year.

Looks like a Ram

Posted by: Steve | Jan 10, 2019 9:10:51 AM

Could be worse. As in the horrendous looking Silverado or the hodgepodge of everything nasty Sierra

Posted by: delusional | Jan 10, 2019 10:42:27 PM

Speaking of horrendus.

Nice picture of the best selling trucks you posted there counter clerk for AutoZone.

900k F Series...simply annihilated the runner up.

Ford has a sizable lead over GM in full size trucks.
Posted by: GM Blows Chunks | Jan 10, 2019

Irrelevant factoid. Like saying that Ford sells more green trucks. Nobody cares. It is just something Ford fans say to feel better about being in second place.

@imposter

I didn't lie u fool. Please get your own fuq'n username. I posted article thats states 65k plus people would be in danger of losing jobs in Europe and UK.

You lie to yourself everytime you post under my username you coward. The liar is staring back at you in the mirror every morning. How do u live with yourself

Ford has a sizable lead over GM in full size trucks.
Posted by: GM Blows Chunks | Jan 10, 2019

Posted by: papajim | Jan 11, 2019 2:47:28 AM

Papajim You wish people did not care about who sells the most full-size trucks but they do. Just another thing you are wrong about.

Posted by: Just the truth | Jan 11, 2019 6:58:28 AM

Papajim's is telling just the truth.

Just another thing you are wrong about.
Posted by: Just the truth | Jan 11, 2019

What about blue trucks, or crew cab trucks, or bright yellow trucks. Do you get to decide what people care about?

900k F Series...simply annihilated the runner up.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 10, 2019 11:05:20 PM

Hey there pepboys warehouse shelf stocker. FORD is so proud of their F-series but can't out sell GM. For your own benefit in accepting reality, say the following statement 10 times. Ford remains a second place pick-up truck manufacturer.

@the fake TNTGMC

"Hey there pepboys warehouse shelf stocker..."

I'd put some ice on that boo-boo if I was you.

NO GUTS

NO GLORY

WAIT TIL THE DAKOTA COMES BACK AND DESTROYS IT

TAURUS LOOKING FORD RANGER

@ papajim and gmsrgreat

That clown doesn't even have a job! He sits in his parents basement loathing over the things others have. Then talking smack to buildup his self-esteem for all the years he was picked on in school for picking his nose and eating his boogers in class.

@ hemi rampage

It will be interesting to see if/when dakots does come back what engine they put into it? The 3.6L penestar I have heard is getting replaced? Idk if true, but I have heard good things from others about that engine. Hope they stick with it.

@ TNTGMC:

THE NEW DAKOTA WILL NO DOUBT DESTROY THE COLORADO AS WELL.

GUTS

GLORY

CLASS LEADING NEW DAKOTA

@ hemi rampage

Can u have a normal conversation without caps lock?

How do u know it will destroy it. How do u know they'll produce it, what engine...ect, ect...

But like you said lets WAIT. All the while the Colorado is selling strong and will likeley be all new beforw your dakota ever shows up.
Better late than never I guess..

@Angelo

We shall see...

@ Angelo
Sorry never responded to your post from Dec.
Just got my computer lap top back working correct in Dec sometimes still using cellphone don't see everything.
You said Ridgeline and longer bed
I don't see Honda making that move for longer bed option.
That is low on the shelf as compared to trying to make Ridgeline more appealing in frontal looks. It is low compared to them putting in 9 or 10 speed transmission. Low for them tweaking something trailer brake or something like that. It just not that important long bed would sell like FWD only Ridgeline many dealers don't even carry them. All 1st GEN were 4WD.
They are carried by dealerships down in southern like SC or out west no snow areas.

@ Angelo
You posted you have/had 91 Prelude and 90s Accord.
I have been Honda owner since 1980 with Prelude and had new 90 & 94 Accord sedans before moving on to 2000 Acura TL that still have. This is part of reason for Ridgeline I would not stand for some of the products out there with with poor driving and riding capabilities. Just because it's a pickup truck doesn't mean it has to ride/ drive bad.

Before papajim gets started saying this or that I am Honda fan boy somewhat true.
The last vehicle purchased new in this family was a Ford Focus not a Honda. This is why I don't myself have a newer vehicle but not shopping Ford. The 2nd Generation Ridgeline still offers a better choice for me. I will go to the Washington, DC Auto Show schedule this year in early April. This is something I do most every year but did not go last year. Our Auto Show is late this year use to be Jan & Feb. I am sure Ford dealers will have a nice display of Ranger vehicles and products at this years show.
I will check it out just like I did GM twins when they came out few years ago and also the year before when new Ridgeline came out.

@Ridgeline
Your points well taken. Not going to hold my breath for a long bed Ridgeline. I used to go to Moscone San Francisco Auto show.
With respect to Ranger, probably any Silicon Valley dealership has one that I could look at, but I like to see how popular by how randomly I see them on the streets here. Tesla Model 3 are all over the place. Ecodiesel never really saw that many, even though FCA said the take rate was 10%. I don't necessarily like to listen to what corporate people say about their products. Those VP of sales are always upbeat. Then the FCA dieselgate happened for the Ecodiesel and I rarely see an Ecodiesel. Hemi's I see a ton of, and Ridgeline I see from time to time. Silicon Valley has a ton of development going on so I drive by, or peddle by, worksite in my commute, and sometimes stop to take a look at what's there. Or if I see something at the grocery store, I'll stop and look.

To each there own, and I guess for midsize 5' box is kind of the new norm. Not to my liking, but I suppose for most of the market in the midsize space 5' box is good enough. Just kind of funny to know that 8' box was available in a pickup 25 years ago, and now that's not even available. Not that I need something that long, but they have basically substituted the 8' box with a (crew area + 5' box). After seeing what the Ranger put out, I'm not optimistic that the Frontier will be much different.

Its funny when GM fans try to combine makes and models (That they purposely divided) to claim sales ownership of make and model class.

NOBODY takes it seriously and its why you haven't seen Chevy or GMC claim to be or have the best selling full size truck or any truck in at least the last 42 straight years.

You don't think Chevy or GMC's ad departments wouldn't LOVE to make such a claim? But they cannot.

Whats even funnier is if you ever bother to look at the top 10 selling autos of all time in the world ever so far Ford has 3 of them (the F Series being #2), and GM and Fiat have 0.

Combining makes and models in the name of creative math is not how one ever establishes dominance of sales in contests that are make and model dependent. And if you do want to ad up all vehicles built and sold... in global market share GM is a sad #5. Behind many companies that don't even make trucks.

Also don't forget to add up Bankruptcies and Bailouts if you are measuring a company's worth and that GM has never made a single production car ever that could even match the Ford GT/GT40.

Now Tesla I'm optimistic about. I think whatever pickup they come out with, they'll shake things up. They just aren't saddled by that whole front end having to have an ICE in it, so maybe they can move the cab forward more than everyone, and give full size Crew area + 6.4' box, and still fit in a garage.

"I drove a Lariat yesterday, (I have a ZR2), the Ranger leather seats are awesome, the ride is car like, acceleration was okay, ya had to get on the throttle for it to go like my truck.
Nice truck all around though"

Reason why this is the 2nd best selling " car" in Australia.

DAY TWO of bad news for Ford.

Two and half years after being acquired by Ford for a reported $65 million, their app-based shuttle service called Chariot announced it is rolling to a permanent stop.

Several considerations are being blamed for the failure but a closer examination is sure to find plenty of stretched timing chains, faulty cam phasers and cooling system defects.

I read that with all this dieselgate coupled with Tesla showing the market a thing or two, the establishment is having to make hard choices with respect to product development. And perhaps that's why Ranger came as is, and Frontier might underwhelm too.

Posted by: Angelo | Jan 11, 2019

@Angelo

Roughly 2 million Americans bought a new pickup truck last year without giving any consideration to the size of their bleeping garage.

Do you know there's an entire world east of Yosemite? And it does not revolve around you, electric cars and your Silicon Valley neighbors.

@Angelo - Ford is recalling more than 410,000 F-Series pickup trucks with engine block heaters in the U.S. because they can catch fire.

The recall covers certain F-150s from the 2015 through 2019 model years, as well as the 2017 through 2019 F-250, 350, 450 and 550.

The company says in government documents posted Friday, Dec. 21, that water and contaminants can get into the heater cable and cause corrosion. That can cause electrical shorts and possible fires.