2019 Ram 1500 Lands Cars.com's Best Pickup Truck of 2019 Award

image from p.widencdn.net

Like no other half-ton pickup truck before it, the all-new 2019 Ram 1500 has captured the imagination of this truck-loving nation for several reasons. The only exception we can think of is the Ford F-150 Raptor, but for completely different reasons. We're pleased to announce that the 2019 Ram 1500 has been named Cars.com's Best Pickup Truck of 2019.

Related: 2019 Best of Awards

We have to say we saw this coming. Our colleagues at Cars.com named the all-new Ram the Best in Show when it debuted during the 2018 North American International Auto Show in Detroit in a field of cars, SUVs and other significantly updated pickups. That award turned out to be a harbinger of more awards to come as the Ram continued to pick up accolades throughout the year.

We spent a full year driving several different light-duty half tons, comparing them to each other and putting them through lots of tests — including one of our signature multi-truck Challenges. Those experiences are what led us to choose the 2019 Ram 1500 as the Best Pickup of 2019.

There are many reasons to like this new Ram 1500, from the new frame with a higher gross vehicle weight rating and towing capacity to its clever mild-hybrid powertrain, but our favorite feature is the monster optional 12-inch high-definition touchscreen that's the command center of an impressively luxurious interior. Our judges were unanimous in their decision that the Ram was tops in a field that included three other worthy nominees.

Cars.com photo by Christian Lantry

30-ram-1500-limited-crew-cab-2019-cockpit-shot--front-row--interior

27-ram-1500-limited-crew-cab-2019-engine--interior

48-ram-1500-limited-crew-cab-2019-center-stack-display--interior

45-ram-1500-limited-crew-cab-2019-backseat--interior

Comments

Easy choice.

who could argue. Ford's truck is ancient history.

GM did not bring a complete package in 2019---great drivetrain ideas but much of the old GM model survived to live on in the new truck. RAM has achieved separation from the rest of the field. Let's see if their QA holds up.

Their favorite feature is a 12" screen, which is already off to a rocky start. Probably no more reliable than the older 8.4" one.

I am am so caught up in it, I don't even care what size screen my 2018 F-150 XLT FX4 has.

I know I have zero issues with it, that is what I do know.

Ram will beat Chevy and become #2 in full-size sales.

The ram is already having issues. It won't beat out chevy for number 2 spot. People will realize that the 12 inch is a headache along with all of Fiats gremlins and unrealibilty.

GM fans will spin this all sorts of ways but the bottom line is its ANOTHER defeat for the all new Chevy. Look for chevy to drop from #2 to #3 as the Fiat displaces it in the next year or 2.

Clint, you are WRONG! The new Rock-n-Roll add GM has is going to bury RAM with their low tech 20 year old interior. GM is rock-in-roll baby, yeah!

@ Clint

You never said why u dislike GM or what u drive? Hmmm🤔

Have u sat in a new GM truck? Have u sat in a new ram to compare?
The real difference is the 12 incher and its a headache. Functionality wins over glamore and glitz. People will see the headaches as well.

Explain how Ram is going to take #2 spot. When chevy sold 2 times as many trucks last year than Ram.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 31, 2019 11:57:07 AM

2018
Silverado = 585,581
Ram = 536,980
Difference = 48,601
Ram would need to sell an extra 4,050 trucks a month.
Can Ram do this? I do not know.
Does Ram need to double sales to do this? NO.

@Just the truth:

You stole my thunder LOL!

Went and had a look at it...too much bling and not sure on the life of that dash..have to give it 3 or so years and see what the sun does to it...never mind what the seat edge looks like or how anyone who wears a belt eats into the seat. Talk about blue face from people who are always looking at their phone...this thing lights up the whole cab..although dimmable. I have already seen someone run into the back of someone in front of them from playing with a screen. It does all look nice but seems to be too much...lots to fiddle with. Nice refresh for Ram but my next truck will be my last...want more durability and Ram not there yet.

You fan boys are hilarious. I generally dislike GM for their overall consistently abysmal performance and lack of successful innovation culminating with their complete failure and bankruptcy which also means they skipped out on debts.

"rock and Roll" LOL really? that's what you got. GMC's never sell in high volume and aren't meant to. GMC's wont bury anyone or anything. Your meatheadedness is showing.

I sit in and drive many makes and models of vehicle. I grew up with a horrible chevy and several other mediocre vehicles. I worked in and study the car industry and pay attention to long term trends. I have extended family that own Chevy and GMC dealerships (some of which are managed by my favorite uncle) and I decline the excellent service and deals I would get and some of my other family members settle for on the all too often inferior products. Its a question of "do I buy something my uncle will send a flatbed for me... or do I buy something ill never need a flatbed for." Most of my relatives who make the compromise for the deal and service have found the best thing is to trade every 4 or 5 years. I don't follow that principle and demand over 9 years out of what I buy. Its made me far more selective and not foolishly blind loyal. In the event that GM did field a model that could wrest the #1 position from Ford and paid back the US taxpayer for its epic failure I might consider it especially with my contacts.

Explaining things to GM fan boys is generally a big waste of time. You cant even come to grips with the failure of your company 8 years ago and that it fundamentally means that you have no credibility choosing a company that is a failure over one that is not. Fiat has closed the gap and the press on the chevy has been abysmal. There are months in the year Fiat full size trucks outsell Chevy. The tide is turning and doesn't show any sign of change in the next 2 years. If you really loved your failed horse you would be worried and honest calling for a refresh and correction and not foolishly boistress and blind.

Presently I own a F250 (for specialized tasks) and a Honda accord that does all the daily work far more efficiently, reliably and for far longer than any car the Big 3 minus 1 have ever consistently made.

Ford Ranger news update:

Ford is about to boost production of the Ranger, which went on sale this month and already has expressions of interest from 300,000 online shoppers, Kumar Galhotra, president of North American operations, told reporters in Detroit Wednesday. After about two weeks on dealer lots, Ford has sold about 1,200 of the trucks it brought back after an eight-year absence from the U.S. market.

@Clint:

I agree with most of what you said. GM's "shell game" 2 truck brand strategy, although becoming possibly more effective in recent years has always been a comedic subject for me.

Neither brand effectively represents a distinct niche that warrants their existence. A mid-level Ford or Ram is as luxurious as a Denali. It's an obvious experiment employed by somebody high up in the ranks.

A word on GM styling: fire the whole department. When the '14 trucks debuted with their circa 1988 styling I predicted there'd be a hasty refresh to avert disaster. Will this happen again for this generation? Time will tell.

Ford listens to what buyers are looking for and offers advancements based on those requests. GM makes their own trends, forces them down your throat, then punishes stock holders when they go belly up.

After about two weeks on dealer lots, Ford has sold about 1,200 of the trucks it brought back after an eight-year absence from the U.S. market...Posted by: Blueman | Jan 31, 2019

@blueman

Oh great! They'll be catching up with the awesome Honda Ridgeline real soon.

Hey Blueman, there are 2,976 Ford Dealers in the USA, and you posed that they have sold 1,200 Rangers in the first 2 weeks. That does not seem like very good numbers.
My Dealer has had the same 3 Rangers since the deput, 1 is a Lariat FX4 for $46,000, the other 2 are 4wd XLT's for $39,000

@ Clint

So have you sat in both trucks to compare interiors?

All 3 of the big 3 went through some sort of disaster in 2008. Ford is still paying back their welf@re lo@n. You didn't even mention Ram, yet Gm is always mentioned? HMMMmm..

As being a f@nboy, I'm far from it, I can't stand big greedy corporations. I continue to buy GM products bc they last! No Ford product I or family has owned ever reached past 200k miles. Step dad's 2004 F150 with 5.4L has 168k on it when it blew up. Mother had a go at a 07 Edge. It went to dealership 6 times for oil and transmission leaks, had 75K on it and she finally just got rid of it for a 2008 Envoy Denali with a 5.3l and it was flawless. She sold that with over 150K for an new Traverse that has almost 100k on that and is going to drive it till it dies.

Before that while I was in high school. My mother also had a 98 Bonneville and an 01 impala both with 3800 engines and they both had over 250K on them before we got rid of them. All of our GM products have been flawless to us, and that's why we buy GM.

My 98 has over 300K on it and it started up here in the Midwest yesterday at being -50 below before I went to league basketball!! It just runs and runs. I truly didn't think it would start to be honest being that cold outside and in the elements. It stays outside all the time.

Innovation? GM's V8's get better or as good FE as any competitor, and performs better as well.

GM's 2 truck strategy has always been a fine line, but the past few years their trucks have distinctively looked different! Before they were just a rebadging. They need to really make interiors different now!

Your Honda is a fantastic choice for a car, only other one that might be as good is a Camry.

Now if you could only get the 1500 in a quad cab long box (8ft) I would order one. Many people are starting to buy the long box version of the Ford F-150 and the Toyota Tundra in the small 4 door with the long box. Hope they add that option soon.

the favorite feature is the 12 inch screen, so I guess the lower level Rams are Losers,

You guys do realize best of anything is just the journalists option and pick. The general public is the ultimate decision.

I'm NOT a Ram guy, I've only owned Chevy, Toyota, and F150s. Honestly I've never trusted their quality. That said the Ram appears to be the top-shelf 1/2 ton truck currently on the market and when I buy my next truck in 2 years, it will likely be a 2019 Ram Limited.

Yikes! Once again, pickuptrucks.com is the last one to the party.

More liberal nonsense awards like the Oscar's and other Hollywood nonsense!

Posted by: Uh huh | Jan 31, 2019 2:28:18 PM

And Ford is # 1 in Full Size, Toyota # 1 in Mid Size with the general public.

The interior is nice and responsible for most of the positive press but the reliability is still in question. As far as the exterior I’m just not feeling it. In person they look very soft and forgettable.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 31, 2019 11:57:07 AM

2018
Silverado = 585,581
Ram = 536,980
Difference = 48,601
Ram would need to sell an extra 4,050 trucks a month.
Can Ram do this? I do not know.
Does Race m need to double sales to do this? NO.

Posted by: Just the truth | Jan 31, 2019 12:22:10 PM

What a complete and utter idiot TNTGAY is. Get an education you moron. And stop spewing falsehoods you stinking liar.

And Ford is # 1 in Full Size, Toyota # 1 in Mid Size......

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 31, 2019 5:42:57 PM

and GM trumps them both in pick-up truck sales.

Posted by: papajim | Jan 31, 2019 6:08:42 PM
And Ford is # 1 in Full Size, Toyota # 1 in Mid Size......

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 31, 2019 5:42:57 PM

and GM trumps them both in pick-up truck sales.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jan 31, 2019 6:22:55 PM

There is no such thing as a “ GM truck brand “

And as a company would be a bigger laughingstock than they already are, i the company with 2 truck divisions with each division selling trucks in 2 different categories/classes, didn’t sell the most when you add full size and mid size together.

It would be downright embarrassing

Face it, GM is hands down the premier truck brand point blank period. I mean, just look at them, would you look at em? Just look at em...Posted by: papajim | Jan 31, 2019

the FAKE Pop

There is no such thing as a “ GM truck brand “

It would be downright embarrassing

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 31, 2019 6:41:20 PM

GM builds pick-ups, Ford builds pick-ups, GM sells more pick-ups.

Any questions?

Any questions?

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jan 31, 2019 7:00:43 PM

Yes I have a question.

Why do you have such a stupid username? Having a name contains a company/brand/model proves you’re nothing but a loser shill

@TNTGAY

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 31, 2019 11:57:07 AM

I thought you only post facts? The fact is, you’re a liar 🤥

Posted by: papajim | Jan 31, 2019 7:26:42 PM

Why do you abduct so many others user name? Have you been barred from from interaction with children and this is how you get your fix? Is this why you continually make reference to Micheal Jackson?

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jan 31, 2019 7:48:19 PM

Answering a question with a question is the sign of a defeated and defensive GM Shill.

This papajim guy just can't help but talk about ford every time he posts. What's with this guy??? He's clearly a GM shill totally anti-ford. But why??

I know right? Why would you have the word papa in your username? This makes you look like a pedophile as you just can't get enough of being "papa"....Your a sick old man, sick!

I was going to comment but from the looks of the comment section........I think I'll just pass with this. Just a bunch of children comment here anymore.

I agree with GMSRGREAT.

What chapter of NAMBLA do you belong to "papa"?

No surprises here, Ram deserves to win this. Beautiful interior, non-offensive exterior, reliable Hemi V8's, very good ride etc. There was no metric for pickup truck reliability however, and it is way too early to know for sure...but I don't think Ram will be at the top of the reliability list. I would prefer either the GM 6.2, or Ford 5.0 V8 over the Hemi, but I still think the Hemi is a solid engine. Will be interesting to see what Ford does with the 2020 F150 redesign, even though it is late in the game, I think they will make every effort to keep up with the Ram interior. With Ram developing a new I-6 (presumably available with a turbo), Ford may have to kick up their ecoboost power yet another notch to remain on top for boosted engines.

I would have to say the new 1/2 ton Ram is the 2nd best ute/pickup. Its the best US 1/2 ton. The best large pickup is the 70 Series V8 diesel tray back.

I had a alumin(i)um wunder truck from Frod with a 5 Litre Coyote and the 5 litre sucked compared to the Hemi Rams I had (yes more than one).

The Ford 5 litre was not an engine for a commercial vehicle, it was low in torque, in other words to become mobile you needed to give it a gut full. The 3.5 Ecothirst Expedition I had was great .... when you had 1400rpm. But alas, the Expeditions suspension was worse than an early 70s Datsun mini truck!

The interior of the Rams (previous models) I had was superior to the new aluminium Fros vunder trux.

As for GM pickups. Well the Sliverodo looks like something that will appeal to a young kid in puberty (maybe that's why piipa likes them) and the GMC looks second best to the new Ram. I'm not confident about the GM drivetrains, but I'm a fan of GM pushing the turbo 4.

What chapter of NAMBLA do you belong to "papa"?

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 31, 2019 9:12:10 PM

Well papajim is an islamist. They love little boys.

Being an islamist fits with all his racist, bigoted, misogynistic, discriminatory comments.

Look at all the hate his ilk project upon this planet

Posted by: papajim | Jan 31, 2019 8:06:01 PM

What was your question?

LC 79 Toyota's are used a lot for Off Roading in Australia, this has been taken up in the US and called Overlanding
This company is exporting to the US it products

Wow I see this thread went to h@ll yet again bc of the 🤡 imposter.

PUTC needs to find a monitor or something. 1 person gets to use that name. Force the tough "person" to come out of hiding...

It's pretty pathetic, he/she ruins it for everyone else.

Now on topic, the Ram is very athletic looking in person, but I just don't trust their reliability and fit/finish.

"GM builds pick-ups, Ford builds pick-ups, GM sells more pick-ups.

Any questions?
Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jan 31, 2019 7:00:43 PM"

Gm builds full-size pickups, Ford builds full-size pickups, Ford sells more full-size pickups

Before 1/2019: Gm builds mid-size pickups, Ford DOES NOT build mid-size pickups, so yeah gm sold more mid-size pickups... Any questions??

@Fullsize

Ok, it's now February 1, 2019. I'm still waiting to see Rangers cruising on the streets.

How many so far? Zero. Tell us how many you've seen.

How long till the Rangers start showing up in parking lots and on the highways?

Next January when the Ford guys are whining about 2019 being another GM year of pickup-sales domination, they'll say --- Well, if Ford had the Ranger in dealerships on time we would have seen MORE Ford sales than GM sales.

Ok, so it's 2020? GM continues to dominate the pickup market.

@papajim

Thats your defense?? They have hardly been at dealers for a month and you expect them to be everywhere already?? To answer your question i have seen only 2 on the road but that means what??

The Ranger is not going to be a seller in the league of full-size trucks so it will take time for them to be everywhere like you see with vehicles on the market for several years (Colorado). Speaking of full-size trucks and about seeing them everywhere, where are all the new full-size gm's that have been out for months?? I have seen maybe 5 on the road....