2019 Ram 2500/3500 Video: Up Close With the Ram Experts

29-ram-2500-2019-brown--exterior--front--mountains--off-road

Ahead of the 2019 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, we had the opportunity to get a close-up look at several trim and cab configurations of the all-new 2019 Ram 2500 and 3500. We also had access to several Ram experts to discuss different aspects of the new heavy-duty pickup truck. As you might imagine, they were pretty excited when we pointed our cameras at them.

Related: More 2019 Detroit Auto Show Coverage

As you'll see, Head of Ram Brand, FCA-North America, Jim Morrison had some interesting things to say about the competition. We also offer a close-up look at a completely exposed frame and chassis with Ram's chief engineer, and the designer responsible for how good all the Ram interiors look shared some his favorite tech features.

And unlike the 2019 Ram 1500's redesigned cab configurations, the 2019 Ram HDs will continue with the same regular, crew and Mega cabs used on the previous-generation HDs. Regardless, there are enough changes to these new trucks to make them feel and look completely brand new. We'll know more when we get time behind the wheel and get to see how well all that torque — up to 1,000 pounds-feet in a 3500 diesel — moves through the transmission and into the rear axle. Expect impressions from our First Drive of the 2019 Ram 2500/3500 to come out in early March.

Wondering where we filmed this video? It was the production facility where both the Dodge Viper and Chrysler Prowler were assembled and given final dynamometer testing.

Enjoy the video below; we promise more photo galleries of these heavy-duty trucks in the days ahead.

Cars.com photos by Christian Lantry

Comments

I love how you guys say "basically all-new". The cab and bed structures are largely carryover from the old truck.

All manufacturers say (all new) This is a sales tactic pounding sand. I have yet to see anyone's "all New" that was truly "all new". not going to happen.

@Daren

With the exception of drivetrain components, I disagree with your claim.

The cab and bed structures are largely carryover from the old truck...Posted by: redbloodedxy | Jan 16, 2019

COME ON!

What were you expecting, a flying saucer? It's a HD body on frame pickup. How many new ways can designers create a basic truck?

Hahaha, papa. You guys crucified Ford in 2008 and 2011 when they "carried over" their Super Duty body atop an updated drivetrain and suspension.

I'm not saying re-purposing an existing design is a bad thing. Just please don't tell me it's "new".

Basically not even close to being all new.

Nice refresh.

It's hard to improve on the best.

The RAM is the HD truck that offers a big Cummins. If they still made the old 2 valve Cummins it would be better yet, especially with the manual trans.

Now we're talking old school

Not the best, but very good overall and better than Nissan. I'll be keeping my S10 if anyone is wondering.

Nice truck

Not NEW by any means...

Has face lift, updated trans and engine, and interior.

The rest is a carryover.

I'll tell you what's not new. papajim making excuses.

The Cab is being carrier over for manufacturing reasons supposedly since Ram is moving production from Mexico to Warren, MI. I would have like to seen the new cab from the 1500 on this truck, it offers more rear seat space and a flat load floor. Of coarse you can get a mega cab but your leg room doesn't really increase with that only the ability to recline or put things behind the back seat.

you guys would argue about water being wet depending on whose manufacturers badge you saw in the reflection.

No doubt about it its nice.

This truck knocking the chevy out of its 2nd place spot is a real possibility.

No doubt about it its nice.

This truck knocking the chevy out of its 2nd place spot is a real possibility.

Posted by: Clint | Jan 16, 2019 1:20:29 PM

Got news for you Clint , this is an article on the Ram HD, if you knew anything about trucks sales you would know the RAM HD sells more than Chevy HD for the last few years. Go back and post on the half ton forum

This time someone is using my name. Not a bad truck and probably one of the best HDs you can get.

Independent Front Suspension???

Today there are farm tractors with independent front suspension with 500+ horsepower, they don't fall apart and ride sweeter then a Ram

It looks the same truck to me nothing major here just the grills and the tail lights and the powertrain and that’s it. Now if you look at he chevyota tunderado mixed with ford cab and wheel wells that’s a big change from the squarely body style all the Garbage motors fans used to see.

Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. The cabin is new, made from different high strength steel, aluminum hood and tailgate , the frame is new to handle more payload and towing, with new crossmembers, new engine and cabin mounts for less noice and vibration, engine us new.
So maybe just doors and rear fenders are the same.

@Clint - I'm usually not precise about what I say. I did say that climate change is a hoax. Please do not mis-quote me. Climate has been undergoing "change" for millions of years. I'm just so convinced that the global temperature changes because some guy drives a V8 instead of a hybrid.

I said that we do not have a bigger challenge. Like I said climate is not a challenge. My belief is that good television---or the lack of it---represents a much more immediate threat to human well being.

@water

The Ram and Ford SFA have consistently been rated as having a better ride than the GM IFS with the same GAWR.

The Dodge SFA axle suspension is a good design with long Progressive coils that give a complaint ride in the first few inches of deflection, but stifffen progressively with additional compression. The GM torsion bar IFS has a linear rate, so they use the elastomer bump stops as a cushion, when in reality the suspension is significantly more harsh. NVH on GM HDs is atrocious.

Farm tractors, Oshkosh, etc. same old story.
Three big differences.
1) speed.
2) large tires that absorb shock.
3) virtually no frame flex, all torsional deflection is in the suspension.

Pickups must be able to travel hundreds of thousands of miles at 80 mph, with civilian sized tires. and survive the bumps, twists, and loading of a normal service life.

Ever gone a long distance in a farm tractor? IFS or not, it produces a near perfect vacuum.

If someone can build an IFS with all the strengths and longevity of a SFA, make it useable and eliminate the characteristics that weaken it. Many will adopt it. Unfortunately, GM is the only HD truck with it, and Ford and Ram have them beat.

Why do some folks post on here. All their doing is helping the traffic count on this site for a product they despise. Please keep your Ford or G.M. and save us the bull. No body is asking you to buy one. Move along and thank you.

2015 FIRE RECALL FORD F150,

Safest truck on the road. lol

Posted by: HEMI V8 | May 14, 2016 2:23:54 PM
Ram Trucks | Heavy Duty & 1500 | America's Longest-Lasting Pickups.

Posted by: HEMI V8 | May 14, 2016 2:28:15 PM
Ram Trucks burning to the ground

Posted by: I was a GM and Chrysler fan. Until they failed in the marketplace and went bankrupt. | May 14, 2016 2:32:08 PM
Ford trucks burning on the assembly line.

Ford says the faulty BCM was manufactured by Lear Corporation in Mexico. The problem was discovered after two F-150 pickups caught fire during manufacturing at Ford's Dearborn Assembly Plant in Michigan.

2011 FIRE RECALL!!!!

Posted by: HEMI V8 | May 14, 2016 2:34:19 PM
2016 Ford F250 burns to the ground.

Posted by: HEMI V8 | May 14, 2016 2:40:28 PM

Purchased a new Ford F-150 on 6/27/2015 from HemBorg Ford in Norco, Ca. External fan came on a few times as soon as the truck was started while we moved the truck in and out of our shop and would not shut off unless we turn engine off and restarted truck. On September 1 after picking the truck up from getting the decals the battery light came on. The following day I made a phone call up to our local mechanic to see if he could check out why the battery light was on since they are a half mile from where I lived. Pulled the truck out of the shop and let it run for about 30 minutes while I cleaned it to see if maybe the light was on because the truck had been sitting in the shop. I then got in the truck and drove off.

It is about 12 miles from our shop to the local mechanic shop but after getting on the freeway the Sync system notified me. I was going to lose power to some electric powered features or something of that sort. It didn't repeat it. It only said it once so I can't remember exactly. I turned off the radio and air thinking maybe it's a low battery issue. A few minutes later all the indicator lights came on and the truck lost power. I looked in my mirror to get over and to my horror I saw smoke pouring out from under the truck out the back. As soon as I pulled over the smoke was coming out from under the hood as well as flames were starting to come out too. I popped the hood and jumped out looking for my fire extinguisher and in panic could locate it. I ran to the front of the truck and tried to unlatch the hood, but the smoke and flames were pouring out.

A guy ran up and started with his fire extinguisher, but we couldn't get the flames down enough to get the hood opened. By the time the fire department got there, the front tires caught fire and blew into the field which started a 5-acre fire which did slightly damage some decks on a few homes. The fire dept didn't put any water on the truck because they were trying to save these people's homes and I watched in horror. The truck and all our equipment burn to the ground. Some people say why didn't we bring it in when the external fan came on but honestly most people would have even noticed it. I know because we own 9 Fords between our business and personal but since the truck was only at our shop and not in service yet it would be brought in before it was ready to go into service the Ford dealer.

I would have brought it to was father then my local mechanic so it wouldn't have made it either way. I am beside myself with this. Did the fan keep coming on because the computer was telling the truck something was hot? Why did the battery light come on (I did take a picture of the dash when I was pulling into the shop after we picked it up from getting decals and it shows the light on. Please help.

Posted by: HEMI V8 | May 14, 2016 2:42:24 PM

Posted by: James | Jan 16, 2019

@James

For quite a few years Ford had a Twin I-beam front suspension on their half ton truck and the old Rangers. I had two trucks equipped that way---one a Ranger and the other an F150, and both of them ATE tires.

They were fine on dirt or gravel roads and the F150 was mostly used on unpaved roads. But on the pavement it was really hard on tires.

Perhaps it was my driving or some other conditions. Just a thought.

Breaking!

State of the Union address is off: No 2 House Democrat Hoyer

Photo
FILE PHOTO: House Democratic Whip Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-MD) leaves after a closed intelligence briefing with CIA Director Gina Haspel on the death of Saudi dissident Jamal Khashoggi on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., December 12, 2018.
REUTERS/YURI GRIPAS
(Reuters) - The No. 2 Democrat in the U.S. House of Representatives said on Wednesday that President Donald planned annual address to Congress is off, citing the partial government shutdown.

"The State of the Union is off," U.S. Representative Steny Hoyer said in an interview with CNN. Hoyer said that as Speaker of the House, U.S. Representative Nancy Pelosi is the one who invites the president and she has said, "as long as government is shut down we are not going to be doing business as usual."

It's a nice update to the existing truck. I really don't care about what I consider to be a largely fake torque rating (torque management, all manufacturers do this) because I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another diesel (too expensive, poor fuel economy, unreliable). 30 lbs. frame weight reduction? Sure, more high strength steel means they made it thinner! I will check out this new Ram for my next truck.

Sounds like Nancy Pelosi is putting her personal political interests ahead of the interests of American taxpayers, no different than when she flies on a private government paid jet instead of traveling the same way her tax-paying constituents do. While the president recently stayed in Washington over the holidays Nan hit out for Hawaii and laid around a posh resort with a half dozen security personnel. Be sure to put first things first Nancy.

@papajim
Has anyone mentioned the EV versions of the Transit, Transit Connet and F150 as a result of the tie up with VW?

Posted by: Robert Ryan | Jan 17, 2019

@Robert

Short answer: No

Long answer: VW and Ford used the Detroit auto show as a fig leaf to blast the auto media with happy-faces in advance of the dismal 4th quarter profits report yesterday that sent Ford stock down more than six percent.

@papjim
Strangely GM's miserable results are next in line. Who is GM's partner?

@papajim
"GM swung to a profit during the quarter from last year's loss, which stemmed from the company's sale of its European business to Groupe PSA. GM's net income was $2.5 billion, or $1.75 a share, compared with a loss of $2.98 billion, or $2.03 a share, a year ago.Oct 31, 2018"

GM is will be ready for another bailout this time next year. Don't worry they will be closing more American plants as well.

"...GM swung to a profit during the quarter "

@Robert

Profits, the mother's milk of stocks and the lifeblood of the economy---Larry Kudlow

Posted by: papajim | Jan 17, 2019 6:39:30 AM

Another annoying post from the que*r of the year

Papa Jim is a flaming democrat probably married to Bill Mahr.

don't knock it till you've tried it (fill in favorite expletive here)

@Robert Ryan--I don't fault GM for selling off Opel and Vauxhall but I agree with you that if a company has to boost its earnings and stock prices by selling pieces of itself off or closing plants and they continue this strategy the long-term result will be failure. I do think GM should do some more shedding such as Daewoo. Eliminate Buick from the North American market--either make it a China exclusive product where GM is actually making money on Buick or sell it off to the Chinese. Either do something different with Cadillac because what GM has done is not working or make it a Chinese exclusive brand or sell it off to the Chinese. Cadillac has more potential than Buick in the US market but GM has to do something different Maybe add GMC to the Cadillac dealerships and close Buick in the NA market if GM wants to sell GMC vehicles. There have been no plans for Buick and it will soon be down to 3 models with only the Encore being the largest seller. The Chinese Endeavor is a failure in the US. Don't waste anymore revenue on USA Buick.

@Jeff S

So, if I understand you correctly you'd be more impressed by GM continuing to persist in a doomed autos market (Europe) and asking its shareholders to be content to lose money.

Although it's taking Ford a bit longer to reach the same simple conclusion, they're looking for the EU exit as well. Ditto for the poor souls in Britain who cannot count on their elected representatives to dump the EU as well.

C'mon Jeff, take a look at this stuff before you press the button!

Jeff S is trying to speak on topics he shouldn't.

@ Jeff S
You have pointed out most of GM's problems and they are major. Selling your assets to make a profit, is a sign of a desperate company. Having that purchaser take that purchase and make it profitable within a year, after GM could not do it a after 20yrs is a sign of a incompetent one

@papajim--I said that selling off Opel and Vauxhall was necessary. Where did I say that making unprofitable cars was a good strategy. You seem bo believe that selling off assets to boost your earnings per share and stock price is a good long term strategy. It is good for the CEO and the main officers of a corporation because their bonuses are based on stock price. You know what I said you are just looking to create an argument by nit picking and taking things out of context.

I also said that GM needs to sell off Daewoo. You papajim are just looking at earnings per share and stock price and ignoring the real problems with GM. Daewoo is just as big a money loser and problem as Opel. You have gone on and on about unions and socialized Western Europe but you choose to ignore the South Korean unions that make European union's look mild. GM needs to find a buyer and unload Daewoo or just kill it off. As for Buick and Cadillac these are brands that mean nothing to most Americans and GM has left one brand to languish and the other brand has been badly mismanaged. GM needs to do some more pruning and actually get a CEO and board that likes cars and trucks. Get designers that remember the time when Chevy trucks ruled and actually had trucks that were appealing and good. Play Stool interiors and polarizing design is not going to cut it. Those are things that I don't like about Toyotas as well and that is why I criticise Toyota for living off their reputation.

@Robert Ryan--Thanks. You understand exactly what I am saying about GM. Having PSA take Opel and Vauxhall and make it profitable in 1 year says it all about GM's epic failure. The same thing is true with Buick and Cadillac. I am willing to bet any other auto manufacturer could take either or both Buick and Cadillac and make them successful in the US and not just China. There is still a lot of the pre 2008 GM still around.

You papajim are just looking at earnings per share and stock price and ignoring the real problems with GM...GM needs to do some more pruning...Get designers that remember the time when Chevy trucks ruled and actually had trucks that were appealing and good.

@Jeff---Of course we look at EPS and EBIT and share price! It's a sensible way of evaluating the performance of senior executives and their skills at deploying capital.

Are you able to counsel GM about product design? You own trucks that were on the drawing board 25 years ago.

@papajim--You are too much of a GM fan to see where they are messing up. Chevy had nicer looking trucks 25 years ago. You are correct it makes a lot of sense for CEOs to get paid on increasing stock price--gives them more incentive to sell off assets and liquidate the company. The way Barra and company are going it shouldn't take too much longer. Maybe those real people can sell some more of the new Silverados. Much rather listen to Sam Elliot selling Rams than the real people.

Guangzhou Motors does have a distinctive sound.

Is that a Buick? Of course can't you tell, it's made in China.

@papajim--Agree with you. Maybe the best thing for GM is to run the price of the stock up and then liquidate it. Get something while you can. That would be the only way that I would buy GM stock if I thought that it might get bought out soon but then you take the risk of it failing and its sold off in pieces. GM's pieces have more value than GM itself.

@Jeff s - I know you agree with me! They say opposites attract. I hope you meet someone who is good-looking, intelligent, and cultured.

@Jeff S

Please don't take my word for it.

Read their bleeping documents---it's all online if you care to be properly informed. Mary Barra's comp plan is spelled out in detail, along with the rest of her senior team.

The Board of Directors promoted her to CEO on the condition that she can "max" her comp plan by exiting lousy markets (the EU?) and optimizing the company assets elsewhere. So far she's been successful doing that.

Sounds like a good plan to most shareholders I bet. Compared to the bloody mess at Ford especially.

@papajim--Barra hasn't exited all the lousy markets. Still doesn't change my opinions of Daewoo, Buick, and Cadillac. Easier to sell off divisions than to manage them. You have no idea about the products offered by Buick and Cadillac and how vulnerable each of these brands are. Buick and Cadillac are teetering on the brink of extinction except in China. You are so much into the weeds with earnings per share and stock price that you know little to nothing about how their divisions operate. At one time Buick and Cadillac meant something and a premium image now they are seen as has beens. Both are shrinking and dying brands in the US and it is not all just because cars are dying. The Buick Encore is a cheaply made South Korean Daewoo and the Buick Endeavor is an over priced Chinese Buick that is way overpriced and cannot compete with Honda, Toyota, Ford, Subaru, Nissan, Kia, Hyundai, and a few others. Turbo 4 between the size of an Encore and Enclave maybe a shade close to the Encore in size. 40k for a semi luxury crossover that doesn't have the features of a loaded CRV or RAV4 but more expensive. Guess how the Endeavor is selling? Hint people are not actually running to buy one. The Encore sells because it is a subcompact crossover that markets itself to seniors looking for a newer smaller vehicle with easier ingress and egress to replace their aging LeSabres, Impalas, 88s, Crown Vics, and Grand Marquis with an American name plate. What could be more American than a small Buick made by Daewoo. Buick is an epic failure except selling small South Korean crossovers (some people refer to station wagons on stilts) to seniors. Buick sales are for the most part dependent on a cheaply made South Korean crossover the rest is not so much. Just take the Encore and put a Cadillac grill and emblem and toss the rest of US Buick into the trash bin with Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, and Hummer. Take US Buick out to the woodshed and put it out of it misery it does more damage to GM than its worth. If GM wants to make Buicks in China just sell them in China the US buyers don't want them.

The latest news with Cadillac is that they are not going to cancel the CT6 they just are not going to build at their Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant, but possibly in China. Imagine the added prestige of buying Cadillac's flag ship sedan with an Hecho en China label. I am sure all those luxury car buyers will be waiting in line to buy one at 50 to 60k for a turbo 4. The only good thing some enthusiasts will say about this car is it is rear wheel drive and offers an optional V-6. Notice I left out V-8 because there is none offered in this rear wheel drive soon to be Chinese made luxury car. Real prestige I am sure it is going to lead the pack in sales and make Cadillac great again. At least the new Lincoln Continental is made in the USA.

If you call this management of Buick and Cadillac a model to be held up in high esteem then I would like to know what you are smoking. Must be something very powerful and hallucinogenic. If this is some of Barra's expertise that is worth 25 billion then there is little hope for a future GM. Maybe Ford stock is down and their earnings per share is low but I believe Ford will outlast GM and Ford stands a chance of coming back. Ford still makes more vehicles that customers actually want than GM even after cutting all their cars except Mustang. I will bet that GM will ask for another Government bailout before Ford asks for their first one.