Pickup Truck Sales Breakdown: Fourth Quarter 2018

02-group-shot-2018-one-ton-cc

Many predicted that 2018 auto and pickup truck sales would take a huge downturn from 2017, and that didn't happen. Pickup truck sales stayed strong through the end of 2018, with Ram setting itself up to become the second-best-selling truckmaker in the U.S. for 2019. In fact, Ram outsold the Chevrolet Silverado in the third and fourth quarters of 2018, but just missed nipping ahead of Chevrolet by less than 50,000 new pickup sales at year end. That's big news in the full-size pickup class and something we'll watch closely in 2019 as Chevrolet launches a big, new marketing campaign for the new 2019 Silverado 1500 at a time when the all-new 2019 Ram 1500 is receiving a lot of attention as well.

Related: Best-Selling Pickup Trucks: Fourth Quarter 2018

In the mid-size pickup class, the Toyota Tacoma continues to benefit from having three production facilities making the popular truck in multiple wheelbases with two bed lengths, two cab options, two engine choices and two drivetrains. That's quite a different strategy from that of the newly debuted 2019 Ford Ranger, which offers only one engine and wheelbase. We should note this class looks ready for more incremental growth as both the current top sellers, the Tacoma and Chevrolet Colorado, enjoyed double-digit year-over-year growth at the end of 2018, certainly implying there's room for more competitors.

As to the overall Detroit Three manufacturer race, GM — that's all Chevrolet and GMC pickup sales combined — held onto its lead in the fourth quarter of 2018. Even when looking at just full-size pickup sales for Q4 2018, GM and Ford were separated by only 1,822 sales.

While the next few cold-weather months are likely to yield sluggish sales, we have no doubt that they'll continue to be competitive, especially with the three-quarter-ton and one-ton truck news we're expecting as the year unfolds. Stay tuned.

Manufacturer images; Cars.com graphics by Paul Dolan

IMG_3812 copy II

PUTC_saleschart_midsize-Q4

PUTC_saleschart_midsize_1-12.18

05-ford-f-150-supercrew-lariat-2018-dynamic--exterior--profile--red

PUTC_saleschart_fullsize_Q4

PUTC_saleschart_fullsize_1-12.18

02-chevrolet-silverado-2019-cc

PUTC_saleschart_manuf_Q4

PUTC_saleschart_manuf_1-12.18

Comments

F Series wins full size truck sales again for the 40 somethingeth year in a row.

Congrats.

Chevy should have invested the marketing money into the development costs of the truck. Ram will take second place in sales unless GM offers fire sale prices on Chevy. Expect them to lose sales to GMC trucks also, at least they look better.

Tacoma sales are impressive given their crappy choice of v6

"IF" Ford sells 100.000 Rangers in 2019, GM will sell the most full size

delusional loons

Ram has one year to get as many sales as they can. I can't believe the amount of people complaining about the issues in these trucks already. The rear view mirror problems, the startup clunks, squealing brakes, and frozen Uconnect.

I hate to say it, but no matter what the truck looks like, this truck is starting to scream Fiat quality. Seems some of these Fiat redesigns have me a bit worried that the build quality is heading in the wrong direction

I have heard the same problems with the Ram trucks. The fit and finish on them is terrible and the 12 inch screens are a nightmare. Like I've said, Just wait till warranty is up. Those owners will be screaming bloody murder!!

Thats why I love GM. Plain and simple with reliability all wrap up into one.

Great job Toyota selling that many Tacoma's. Unreal the loyalist bc it's not the best midsize by far.

Great job GM selling most trucks. Get their marketung fixed with better commercials

Ford sold a ton as always. Most loyal customers...thank god

And Toyota's Tundra is milking that cow yet again another year.

@ TNTGMC

Thats why I love GM. Plain and simple with reliability all wrap up into one.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 9, 2019 2:26:28 PM
——————-

Simple minded like simple things

@ TNTGMC

Thats why I love GM. Plain and simple with reliability all wrap up into one.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 9, 2019 2:26:28 PM
——————-

Simple minded like simple things

Posted by: papajim | Jan 9, 2019 3:00:59 PM

She probably eats frozen yogurt in lieu of ice cream.

@ Franky

Im far from a she. I don't drive a 5.4L gutless ford

@ Franky

Im far from a she. I don't drive a 5.4L gutless ford

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 9, 2019 3:17:57 PM

Nobody on this site insinuated that you did.

@ Franky

Its u. U drive one. U admitted to it before. Or do u lie like full of $h!t? Or are u all the same person and u truly drive a car?

I would never drive one of those boat anchors. I drive the most powerful v8 in a half ton. Thanks

I drive the most powerful v8 in a half ton. Thanks

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 9, 2019 3:37:12 PM

It must really bother you to get beat by a V6, or you wouldn't gloat that asinine comment. It made you look really.......s****

The 5.0L beat the 6.2L, I couldn't care if didn't have axles.

It lost, get over it and be a man.

@ Franky

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 9, 2019 3:37:12 PM

Listen, I'll tell you one more time. I owned both the 5.4L and Chevy 5.3L and the Ford 5.4L was a better puller.

Now, can you find the key words, or should I circle it for you as you do with your crossword puzzles.

Posted by: Frank | Jan 9, 2019 3:41:07 PM

That's the first time I have heard such a thing. Did you turn the engine on in the 5.3?

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Jan 9, 2019 3:55:00 PM

Are you kidding? I had to replace the fuel pump twice, the second FP went out right after I filled the gas tank.

It left me stranded twice to say the least, but you can keep them trucks.

good thing GM upgraded the colorado/canyon plant to produce more trucks, Originally they could only make 10,000 a month, they sold 38,000 in 3 months and 168,492 in 12 months. Sellig them as fast as they can build them

Mark, I thinks it's time to stop living in the past. There is no more Detroit three. The Detroit three end when Daimler bought Chrysler long ago. Chrysler is best known at the car hoe, it gets around. Our only Detroit is GM and Ford, all else are foreign.

I do have to agree the 5.4 pulls better than the 5.3. The 5.4 has better torque for pulling work. The 5.3 is a powerhouse but it was more of a hot rod engine design more for quick spooling up to speed.

@ Frank

Crossword puzzles? Good one.

And what do u own now? A car?

@ Frank

My 6.2L didnt get beat by any 5.0L. It was a 2 wheel drive. Your insane if u can't see the difference. But u do drive a Ford.

I have showed u numerous times. 2 4x4 trucks crew cabs. The 6.2l beats the 5.0l by 5 tenths. Now educate yourself fool.

@ Frank

PUTC has proven no ecoboost from 13 to 18 can beat a 6.2L. Educate yourself yet again.

It’s 2019...and the results changed

Your comment is a moot point TNTWHINE

Posted by: uh huh | Jan 9, 2019 5:00:45 PM

Not to mention that shitty transmission

Congrats after 8 years Ford finally achieved beating the 6.2L with a $75k truck. Bravo. Do u own one Frank or fake papajim?? Ya, I thought so.

fake Papajim posts. My last post was around 1:30 today. Since then it's the fake papa

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 9, 2019 6:01:13 PM
————————

Suck it up crybaby excuse maker.

Posted by: papajim | Jan 9, 2019 6:02:54 PM

Was that the post where you lied abot average transaction prices jimbo?

You moron

Posted by: papajim | Jan 9, 2019 6:02:54 PM

Yeah, well, we like him better, you can GTFO.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 9, 2019 6:01:13 PM

The $50K Raptor with 35 inch BFG's can beat anything with a GM badge on it.

GTFO, and take your papa with you.

Ah the 2 stooges are out and running.

Its not an excuse. Its a fact. Neither of u clowns own the limited and with my few mods on my truck. It won't beat it. Gow do I know bc i just raced a 17 Raptor and he didnt win!

Now how about u 2 go buy an actual truck before coming on here and running your trap

Look at TNTWHINE...

Talking about a modified vehicle vs a factory stock one

What a clown

Posted by: Dudlydooright | Jan 9, 2019 12:39:54 PM

Funny I've said that Ford should use the billions they spend making terrible commercials narrated by Dennis Leary and use it to replace that weak plastic 4WD setup in the F-150. They might even have money left over to replace those leaky plastic oil pans and warped dash plastic while they're at it.

A raptor isnt modified? Its an SVT truck u clown. A limited doesn't have a high output 3.5L. I would hope for teice the money I paid for my fully loaded SLT sierra it would beat it.

Ummm....ok

Yet i have a total of $44k in truck....going off what i bought it for

Compared to $75k and a Raptor is around $65K. Wow. What a waste of money.

Whether the Raptor or Limited, the 3.5HO is factory stock you bonehead.

FYI...you claim your modified 6.2L beat a showroom stock Raptor. Post the YouTube video. Otherwise, it didn’t happen

Posted by: Dudlydooright | Jan 9, 2019 12:39:54 PM

GM: 805135 full-size trucks sold in 2018
Ram: 536980 full-size trucks sold in 2018

Math has never been your strong point has it?

Maybe GM should just start using Ford's strategy. Cut rate low margin fleet sales and 25 to 30% off newly redesigned half-ton trucks. I mean, that seemed to do the trick for Ford... 25%+ off 2018 F-150's from March 2018 all the way through December 2018. No wonder they won't spend more than 10 cents total on all the plastic inside an F-150 these days.

Posted by: papajim | Jan 9, 2019 6:34:05

the FAKE papajim

Posted by: papajim | Jan 9, 2019 5:53:18 PM

ANOTHER fake papa

ANOTHER fake papa

Posted by: papajim | Jan 9, 2019 7:14:23 PM

AND another fake papajim

ford and dodge lover no matter the way you try to interpreted the sale the number show gm outsold both of you ,,,

I have owned a 12 ecoboost and I raced a 6.2 multiple times and beat it every time. He couldn’t believe it until we had run them 7 times in various ways and got beat every time.

That right GM fans RAM BEATS CHEVY 4TH QUARTER!!!!!

If Ford sells 104,196 Rangers GMs and Papa will stroke out lol and Johnny will double the hormone treatmen. Cant wait
LOL !!@

Posted by: Miath | Jan 9, 2019 7:19:45 PM

GM didn’t outsell Ford in full size

GM didn’t outsell Toyota in mid size

G.M. SELLS TRUCKS.

FORD SELLS TRUCKS.

RAM SELLS THE BEST TRUCKS.

ALL GUTS, ALL GLORY, ALL CLASS LEADING AWARD WINNING RAM.

I think Ram is a shoe in for the 2 spot, the interior of the GMs are god awful, my 9 year old could do better .

Posted by: nitro

You got a point there. It's like they make the dash out of polystyrene.

They replaced mine when it started warping after a couple months of owning it. After fighting with Ford for weeks, they did a one time replacement.... the replacement dash started warping before the end of that summer. I even put one of those old school folding windshield reflectors in whenever the truck was parked in the sun.

Fords interiors are filled with plastic playskool cr@p. There center stack never fits right. Even TFL on latest review states they never fit right.

They say GMs interior is bad. U have never sat in a new one. There sre soft touch materials everywhere. Even on the SLE model I looked at while getting my truck's oil changed. Its simple, easy to operate and clean looking. No its no RAM, but they are having their issues on them as well.