So It Begins: GMC Teases the 2020 Sierra 2500/3500

2020-GMC-Sierra-Denali-HD copy II

We've already seen two different trim versions of the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500: the economical LT and the fully loaded High Country. Now GMC has begun teasing the Silverado HDs' structural twins, the 2020 GMC Sierra 2500/3500.

Related: 2020 GMC Sierra 2500/3500: Spied

This small photo shows the front headlight of what looks like a mid-level trim package from the next-generation GMC heavy duty. Some have been quite critical of new look of the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and the dual-grille look we expect to see on the new Silverado HDs when they're officially unveiled later this year. But it looks like GMC is going to be a little more guarded in its reveal approach, stringing us along with teasers. As always, GMC's biggest challenge will be making its trucks look different enough from the Chevys to satisfy and retain its own, albeit smaller, buyer base.

We'll be at a 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 drive event next week and will be sure ask questions regarding the new GMC HD platform and styling cues. If we get answers, we'll be sure to pass along as much of that information as we can. In the meantime, if you have any questions regarding the new GMC HDs or GM trucks in general, put them in the comment section below and we'll ask them next week.

While 2018 was the year of the half ton, 2019 is shaping up to be the year of the heavy duty. Ram came out swinging with the new 2019 Ram 2500/3500 at the 2019 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, and GM will be answering later this year with the next-generation Silverado and Sierra HDs. And we're likely to hear something from Ford before the Work Truck Show in March in Indianapolis. Things are getting interesting with big pickups again.

Manufacturer image

Comments

What, HD embossed in the Headlight. No thanks, I'll stick with my 99 Ranger 5 speed.

GMC has been the better looking twin for years.

I sure hope it looks better than the Silverado HD. I'm not a fan of the new trapezoidal wheel wells, as much as I don't like the previous overly squared off wheel wells, these might be worse. The interior looks to mirror the 1500, so GMC/Chevy appear to be in last place on interiors as well. I used to love my 2007 Silverado HD....bought it because the Ford diesel at the time was exceptionally unreliable...and I thought that GM's had the nicest interiors back then.

Jack, I hope T R U M P will take away that O B A M A phone of yours so you won't have internet access anymore, and spend much needed time repairing your redneck ranger and that single wide you live in.

I agree that GMC is the better looking truck. And has now got a lot of features and looks that differentiate it from the Chevy. There are very few shared body panels anymore. With the Duramax/Allison combo , I believe this to be the best HD available. For a heavy duty pick up the interior will be more than adequate , already too fancy lately.
I sure like the useful tailgate , the work table will be very handy for a better work height.

There is something about the GMC HD trucks that make them look tough,yet luxurious. It sure looks like GM has made the HD trucks look more bold and truck like. Ram seems to have gone the other route and softened up the truck look. I used to like the Ram looks the best, but now I think the GM trucks look better. I especially like the wheel well on the GMC, it looks different than all the other boring wheel well openings.

@Texas1836--I am not a fan of the looks of the 2019 Silverado and the 2020 Silverado HDs. I get criticism from papajim on this and that I know nothing about trucks or the car business. I do know what I like and the looks of the Silverado are polarizing at best. the 2019 GMC Sierra is a much nicer truck all around. I am willing to bet without seeing this HD GMC that it is much nicer looking and better appointed. I have owned many Chevrolets and Fords and have liked most of them. Of all the trucks the Ram has the nicest package but I have reservations about their quality. If Ram could get their quality up they could take the No. 2 spot from Chevy. GM has really done a lot to differentiate GMC from Chevrolet. GM deserves credit for how they have grown the GMC brand.

@Jeff s. I obviously can't compete with papajim's knowledge of the car business, I do like reading what he thinks about specific vehicles and the industry as a whole. As for the GM's, once again, I agree with you, that they seem to be falling behind on the new HD's as well as the 1500's (I am definitely a big fan of GM powertrains in general though). I like the new Ram HD's a lot, as well as the new 1500's, but I am not confident enough on reliability to pull the trigger on one. I still like Ford's, and if I were buying today, I would buy a Ford super-duty crew cab diesel 4x4. I have had a few GM trucks, and have had one lemon, a 1992 K-Blazer...but the others were quite good. My one Ford was flawless. My one Dodge Ram was a lemon. My interest in the HD's is because we are getting kind of close to retirement, and we plan on buying a fifth wheel trailer and want to travel a lot when the time comes.

These guys never quit lying to the American people.

I didn’t quit GM, their products quit me.

So much happier with non-GM products. We haven’t shopped a GM product (excluding RWD A, B, F, and G bodies) in nearly 20 years.

HD pickups aren’t sold by looks and the GM trucks aren’t going to get much, if any, market share back with these facelifted sissy trucks.

GM trucks aren’t going to get much, if any, market share back with these facelifted sissy trucks...Posted by: James | Jan 18, 2019

MARKET SHARE???

Fool, they sold more pickups than anybody else the last five years. I'd call that market share. What planet are you from?

I wear women's panties and really drive a Ford Aspire that is pink in color.

Posted by: papajim | Jan 18, 2019 9:13:06 PM

That is a blatant irresponsible statement that has been disproven with facts.

There are two big companies that build and sell trucks.

One of the companies sells MORE trucks than the other EVERY year.

I'll give you a hint, moron. That company's name has the word General in it.

Its wild the way these loser GM guys have to add everything together to say they won. Please check out the HD sales chart and you'll see FORD has outsold GM 10 to 1 for years now in the HD market. Ram has outsold them 5 to 1 for years too. Nobody gives a crap about GM's HD trucks. Nobody really gives a crap about GM period!!

GMC has been the better looking twin for years.

Posted by: beno | Jan 18, 2019 3:45:13 PM

Absolutely, professional grade. G.M.C. was Chevolet's first truck Brand. They bought it.

That is a blatant irresponsible statement that has been disproven with facts.

Posted by: Just the truth | Jan 18, 2019 10:20:08 PM

Add up who sold the most trucks over the last 5 full years and GM comes out the winner. Just the truth.

Actually, GM may have sold more trucks over the last 6 years total sales combined, I don't habe the time to do the math. Hey just the truth, add up all the pick-up truck sales over the last 6 years and report back to us. HAHAHA!

G.M. is the largest auto maker in detroit.

Posted by: James | Jan 18, 2019

Oh so if GM males "sissy trucks", who makes manly trucks? Because it definitely isn't the Ford with a weak tinfoil bed, a grinding and growling plastic 4WD that Ford can't seem to get right 4 years in, and an interior made of recycled plastic that distorts if it sits in the sun. The F-150's IFS is one of the weakest in the half-ton category, with most of the heavy duty parts replaced with some of the weakest sheet metal parts Ford could muster. And it most definitely isn't the Ram 1500 with a payload rating that's more at home in the midsize class than it is in a half-ton class, complete with a suspension specifically tuned so it doesn't agitate the hemorrhoids of its biggest demographic. The Ram's IFS is so bad it's embarrassing looking at pictures of it. PLASTIC upper control arms? On a half ton? WOW. Don't let Ford find out, they'll steal that idea too and it'll show up on the 2020 F-150.

Posted by: Vincent | January 19, 2019 at 04:24 AM

Good point. There's a good reason why Ford is so scared sh*tless of the Trailboss and Ram Rebel that the so-called leaders of the truck world still haven't come up with an offroad F-150 to compete with them. Ford's IFS and plastic 4-wheel drive is so weak I doubt it could handle half of what the Rebel and TB can. Odds are the IWE would lose vacuum and start grinding a half a mile down the trail. By the time it got back to the dealer it would need all new Motorcraft Chinese ball joints.

---

Posted by: Truck frame | Jan 18, 2019 10:31:54 PM

Good point. Ford sells a ton of HD trucks. Between all the junk Mexican made diesel engines that Ford has used and had blow up, and all the flimsy framed trucks that cracked radiators and buckled tailgates, Ford sells a ton of trucks because a ton of the "super duty" trucks have blown engines, rotted out frames, and buckled beds and cabs. It's a throwaway pickup that's made cheap and sells based on price above all else. Its the equivalent of Aldis.

There are only two things that I would like to know about this truck, the date it goes on sale and the GCWR.

For all of you complaining about interior, I think is quite comical. Have any of you sat in the new trucks? Bc the interior is filled with a ton of soft touch materials. Compared to the playskool plastic that's in the Ford interior, it's the Ritz Hotel.

The exterior is very subjective, but it looks 100 times better in person than in pictures.

Looks to me like GMC is playing it safe by keeping the truck similar to 1500!?! Im not a huge fan of new truck with the terrain headlights, but its growing on me.
I'm very interested about the new V8 being offered.

@James What a stupid comment you just made. Ford has outsold GM HD's 10 to one for years now. Only one reason why. They get the job done and are tough trucks. If something keeps breaking you don't keep buying it again over and over. Even Ram outsells them. No body wants GM HDs cause they are junk. How stupid can you get.

There are two big companies that build and sell trucks.
One of the companies sells MORE trucks than the other EVERY year.
I'll give you a hint, moron. That company's name has the word General in it.

Posted by: papajim | Jan 18, 2019 10:25:32 PM

I have refuted that with facts.

@ truck frame

Fords are tough? Please the Super Duty is weakest of the big 3. Ford just has the biggest fan based followers than even Toyots Tacoma lovers.

For years and years the GM twins have conquered them in towing performance. The cummins is possibly the best diesel engine out there bc of its inline 6. Less stress with pistons moving vertically than diagonally.

GM needs to up its towing capacity a bit. That's where they have been lagging a bit.

I have refuted that with facts.
Posted by: Just the truth | Jan 19, 2019

Nobody wants to believe you.

You've used so many false I.D.s on this board that your credibility is zilch. I won't matter what you post because you have no reliability (or respect?).

I totally agree with the above statement from papajim!

Papajim isn't very good with any facts that make GM look.......not the best. If he thinks GM sells more HD trucks than Ford he is totally out of touch.

I do often wonder why GM hd trucks do well in comparisons but always underwhelm in sales. I see reported repeatedly that Ford has the highest average transaction prices so I don't think price is the reason. I think it has a lot to do with durability of the smaller parts. People on here talk about "frame strength" or strength of "suspension parts". I've never heard of anyone having broken suspension parts or bent frames without doing something extremely stupid with their truck. But I know plenty of people who get extremely annoyed that the buttons fall off their radio knobs, or their window motors quit working, or a cheap sensor goes bad triggering a constant check engine light or a truck that won't start.

Border patrol was getting very annoyed with the gm trucks because the interior door panels would literally rattle loose and fall off and the hood and tailgate latches would fail from driving rough washboard roads all day. Imagine a nearly new truck with the hood tied down with a rope and three of the four door panels broken and removed from the interior. Sothey now buy mostly Fords. It's the little things that add up to a big headache. The biggest problem I had with my ram was a cracked radiator. Engine and transmission have been ok for a lot of miles, but I can't tell you how many times I've had electrical problems or small annoying broken parts on the truck. I've never lost an engine in a truck prematurely.

This is where Ford IMO really defeats the other big two truck makers. They had an ad years ago that showed all the parts of a truck suspended in the air coming together to form a truck and they talked about how they pay attention to every part to ensure top quality. It was just an advertisement but I believe they really do pay better attention to the quality of every part. The fact they emphasize this in their ads further confirms to me that they know how important the little things are to their buyers. Reminds me of another ad where they drove the trucks repeatedly over a really rough road on some proving grounds and showed how little things on the competing trucks would fail sometimes shockingly easily. Ironically Ford hd had some relatively unreliable engines from around 05 until 2011 when they brought diesel engine production in-house. But even some relatively unreliable engines in a Ford competed well with the other more reliable power trains. Perhaps because they were reliable enough to still be comparable overall to the gm and ram trucks. Nowthey have a solid power train they seem to have the most complete/reliable truck and have really run away with the hd market share.

@Beebe

I have some property on the beach in Northern Arizona I thought you might be interested in. I can get you a really great deal on it but it's cash-only and you cannot examine the property before the sale.

No personal checks. Cash or MO only. No phone calls. Just mail the check and as a bonus I'll send you a nicely framed photo of a truck being assembled from parts hanging in the air.

@Bebe, you have a very weird though process but non the less it's a very flawed opinion.

Posted by: papajim | Jan 19, 2019 11:06:22 AM

I have refuted that with facts.

Posted by: Just the truth | Jan 19, 2019 8:37:49 AM

GM has sold more pick-ups over the last 6 years than all of the Ford F-series combined.

@papajim FAKE papa. If you're going to use my name please spell properly and don't make me look like a moron. Which should be easy for a fool like you.
This is my user name at least has been for the past six months, you will need to find a new username if you don't like it.

I have refuted that with facts.
Posted by: Just the truth | Jan 19, 2019
Nobody wants to believe you.

All you have is an opinion and no facts. Any time some one disagrees with you, you change the subject and or call them names.

The reason so many others post to your "papajim" handle is to show their disrespect of you.

I totally agree with the above statement from papajim!

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 19, 2019 9:50:25 AM

From the boy who makes fun of his family on the internet.

I totally agree with the above statement from papajim!

Posted by: TNTGMC | Jan 19, 2019 9:50:25 AM

From the boy who makes fun of his own family on the internet.

All you have is an opinion and no facts.
Posted by: Just the truth | Jan 19, 2019

@JTT

My comments are fact-filled.

Your comments are disregarded because nobody trusts you. Anyone who hijacks another person's ID is unreliable. That's you, sir.

From the boy who makes fun of his family

@full of $h!t

Commenting on the truth of what my otherside of family believes and states is a fact. Not going to sugar coat it. It comes from their mouths. Im just sharing it. And you dont like it, hence, "You can't handle the truth!"

You commenting with multiple names, not having facts, and not even driving or owning a truck, yet, still talking trash is absolutely disrespectful and quite annoying.

Please, many have asked you to use one name and post facts or have validity behind your obnoxious comments

And I'm a MAN not a boy. I use my own username!

You are the old decrepit man who acts like a small adolescent "boy" bc we ALL see that through your multiple username posts.

So grow-up! And buy a truck

Have any heard about the GARBAGE MOTORS commercials? if you did they are taking those adds down and that’s embarrassing HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Mike Levine, the North American communications manager for Ford, wrote on his Twitter account. “They have agreed to take these false and misleading ads down and we’d like to see that happen immediately.

@chingon

I'm going to do you a favor before I take my nap.

When you pay attention to Mr Levine's opinion about something, at least verify the facts he's referencing. His job is to tell Ford's side of the story, something he's got a LOT of experience doing.

All you have is an opinion and no facts.
Posted by: Just the truth | Jan 19, 2019
@JTT
My comments are fact-filled.

Posted by: papajim | Jan 19, 2019 11:44:15 AM

Again no facts just an unsubstantiated opinion.

Chevrolet ad will stop airing after Ford, Toyota, Honda challenge https://t.co/XkwlLIJv2h via @detroitnews #FakeAds Mike Levine (@mrlevine) January 16, 2019

Didn’t Ford stock started it’s last decline right after he was hired???

@ tntonline You continue to spew drivel that absolutely means nothing. And remember you said you would never respond to "Just the truth" again. So that shows what your word means.

@full of $h!t

Again, I didnt respond to JTT. I responded to full of $h!t

Your multiple nonsense names are cumbersome. Your a leach, a parasite, or any other virus that feasts off a host. Your quite pathetic

I'm done being in a p!$$ing match with an uneducated, welfare clown. I come on here to have conversations with REAL important people who actually drive trucks!

Btw. Its TNTGMC as my username. I have one. Just one! So get it straight. Your the @$$🤡 with multiple names

@TNTGAY

“ Your a leach, a parasite, or any other virus that feasts off a host. Your quite pathetic.

I'm done being in a p!$$ing match with an uneducated, welfare clown. “

Whats this about others being uneducated? Coming from the moron who can’t spell, YOU’RE the last person to attack others about education, or lack of.

ANOTHER FAKE PAPA