Surprise: 2019 Ram 1500s Get New Split Tailgate

image from p.widencdn.net

Don't let anyone tell you Ram can't keep a secret. Not only did the truckmaker hold information about new tailgate technology until right before the 2019 Chicago Auto Show (well, maybe Ram gave us a hint right before Sunday's Super Bowl), now it's put itself right back in the middle of a fairly spirited Half-Ton Truck War — all the while having one of the best January sales months in more than a decade.

Related: More 2019 Chicago Auto Show Coverage

This new "barn door" tailgate for the 2019 Ram 1500 is a clever way of providing owners easier cargo loading and unloading access along with other options. The bed also will drop like a conventional tailgate and is reported to have a 2,000-pound load rating.

The boringly named Multifunction Tailgate literally splits open in a 60/40 configuration; the doors swing out to open and re-latch when closed. The new setup should pair nicely with the existing RamBox. Humorously, he press release about the new feature says, "unlike other multi-element tailgates, the Multifunction Tailgate does not require that the trailer and hitch be removed before opening." That's a pretty good swipe at GMC's MultiPro Tailgate, which can be dropped right onto a hitch ball or trailer if you don't remove them. The Ram 1500's new tailgate will be packaged with the spray-in bedliner and include an optional center-mounted retractable step. Each door also will be able to open almost 90 degrees.

The Multifunction Tailgate has been in the works for several years and will be available across the 2019 Ram 1500 lineup. The Multifunction Tailgate will cost $995 and the retractable step $295; they will be available in the second quarter. We expect the tailgate will be one of those options that becomes a standard feature for certain trim levels or special editions.

Manufacturer photos

image from p.widencdn.net

image from p.widencdn.net

image from p.widencdn.net

image from p.widencdn.net

image from p.widencdn.net

Comments

GM and RAM displaying tailgates done right. Why couldn't Ford be as clever as those guys?

Pretty cool.

Everyone on the manstep bandwagon now after criticizing Ford for selling one.

Flashback to Jan 2008...

----

Good work, GM. SMH.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Feb 5, 2019 11:25:26 PM

GM wins and Ford loses again.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Feb 5, 2019 11:25:26 PM

GM wins and Ford loses again.

Posted by: GMSRGREAT | Feb 5, 2019 11:25:26 PM

GM wins and Ford loses again.

I can see where it has pros and cons. Looking forward to seeing it.

GovMsRGREAT is HILARIOUS. Ford kicked off tailgate innovation with its internal step with grab handle, followed by being the first to use aluminum for the TG, the first with built in trailer hitch LED and first remote drop... its taken GM over a decade to even partially counter with an expensive gimmick laden stunt isolated to its low volume model. Another very lame attempt at spin again.

This is not a good idea.

I love the simplicity and potential durability of it.

The devil will be in the details, and if it is done right.

Way better than Ford's solution, that is for sure. But what is new?

GM's is the best, and pickuptruck.com failed to report that the GM tailgate will not drop onto a hitch, because it has a sensor that prevents that.

Ah pickuptrucks.com, I love ya, but sometimes I get tired of doing your job for you and so many other people.

Well, all that said, the GM solution will probably not be quite as durable over time, like their completely perfect bumber steps are. Now those bumper steps are PERFECT.

Please, manufacturers, give us more good ideas like those GM bumber steps.

SIMPLE, DURABLE, USEFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you again, no please, no aplause needed. Its just a gift I have, and you all have your own gifts to that I hope to have too, sw we all need each other.

But remember, I will always be smarter than you on these truck matters.

If you want more of me, look back on the last few articles on this site. Thank you again.

I like the idea especially being able to get right up to the bed when loading without the tailgate in the way. I'm not sure I like the seam in the back of the tailgate. I like the clean look of no seam.

GM leading the way in building tailgates that require sensors so they won't destroy themselves on items almost every truck uses.

Professional Grade indeed.

This is not a good idea.

How ridiculous!

Recall, seam not in the center, looks weird,
check out the big seam on the last picture of the Ram box side compartment

I think while Ram has GM beat badly with their interior, this tailgate is not even close to the GMC version. Personally, I would much prefer the Honda Ridgeline tailgate over this one, it is one piece and can open like a door or a tailgate...though the Ram version can open like a door with a trailer hooked up, I am not sure that I don't that I would ever be doing much loading while a trailer was hooked up.

Not a bad idea, but why not split the tailgate in half symmetrically? It looks awkward the way it is now

GMC's tailgate is so much better. 6 functions with a sound system is a fantastic way to sit and enjoy the scenery

I agree with water, I just don't like looking at the seam...which applies to the Ram box as well as the GMC multi-pro tailgate. At least the GMC multi-pro tailgate seam is sort of symmetrical and placed well, vs. the off-centered look of the Ram. I do think the Ram box offers excellent functionality though.

I'm guessing it is not symmetrical because that would lead to complications with the handle and camera.

@texas1836 I'm not sure I like the seam either but splitting the tailgate allows you to open it without needing 5 feet behind the truck to swing it open.

Probably great for the weekend warriors

I'll keep my simple man step with way less moving parts and hinges to rust up. Can't see where these gizmo's will be utilized enough to make it worth the sticking hinges and extra rattles once the hinges and latches wear a bit.

Personally they look like solutions to problems that aren't really there.

@Jim

Agreed. One of the few ways that I see the split gate as helpful is when you have a trailer hooked-up. Personally, I load/unload pickup bed while the trailer is unhooked. Does the Ram tailgate offer increased functionally...of course it does...would I be willing to pay $995 for it...no way, but I would not pay that kind of money for GMC version either.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Feb 6, 2019 8:03:41 AM

Because that would infringe on Ford's patent. Think back to Lincoln Blackwood, split tailgate in the middle.

I'll keep my simple man step with way less moving parts and hinges to rust up. Posted by: workaholic | Feb 6, 2019

Agree. This is the answer to a question nobody was asking. Here's the question EVERYBODY is asking:

What the hell happened to a V8 half-ton pickup with decent trim for less than $35k ?

That split in the tailgate will eventually become a weak spot and failure point when carrying a load. Any kind of hinged or split member is always weaker than a beam or solid load bearing member. Simple statics and dynamics theory.

@ papajim

Suburbanites started buying supercrew trucks for family haulers along with technology, gadgets, and 12 inch touch screens are what happened.

When Ford introduced the Super Crew truck back in 1997 in a half ton, it was an ingenious idea, but it also brought about the downfall for a pick up truck in general. They were not going to be used as a true truck ever again. I see more families driving trucks now as family haulers than ever before.

Now they are Cash Cows!

Price is too high. Honda does it better with innovative tailgate standard.

@UH-huh The Blackwoods tailgate did not drop the just opened to the sides just like the Astro van I used to have.

Posted by: Ron | Feb 6, 2019 9:07:39 AM

That's true, but Ram still can't have it split in the center because of patent infringements.

I can see canopy manufacturers scrambling to design a new back window to match the door openings. Or at least new gaskets to match the split.

What happens when your load shifts and knocks the damned thing open? Buy a Ridgeline for this crap.

I prefer the a regular tailgate, no matter the manufacturer. All of this stuff seems a bit gimmicky to me, from both GM and RAM.

Excelent feature, great to effortlessly load groceries

I agree, this is a solution looking for a problem.

The more new gee-whiz gimmicks they come up with the more overly complex they're making the pickup to bait people into spending ever more money. I'm starting to like Toyota's formula: never change anything and keep it reliable

I don't have a problem with offering different features as long as their optional.

I can see the GMC version has useful and can think of several instances where it would be handy (i.e.) hauling longer lumber. This Ram "invention" to me is useless and looks like an afterthought.

The two guys on the tailgate...who helped them up or was there a ladder off camera...can't see myself trying to get up there..at least the GM one has a lower portion to sit on...although only for one.

One of the reason's for the split tailgate is to make unloading loading easier.
You can get closer to the items in the bed with the tailgate swung open as opposed to it being dropped down normally. You don't have to reach over the tailgate. With Honda Ridgeline getting into the in-bed trunk is much easier this way for loading/unloading also it. Will see how this split tailgate does with time idea has been shown for sometime.

Posted by: TNTGMC | Feb 6, 2019 8:03:41 AM

You'd be the first to talk about GM's bumper steps being the best because you can use them with a trailer hooked up. The fact GM's unicorn tailgate is worthless with a trailer hooked up, unlike this Ram design which is fully functional, but somehow the GM design is "so much better". You're the Nancy Pelosi of PUTC with your constant talking out the side of your neck hypocritical remarks.

@ IT

LMFAO....a touched a nerve

^^^^^^^^^FAKE TNTGMC

^^^^^^^^^^^^^;^^imposter

I'm not the one using anothers name. Are u really that $tupid? Lol...guess so

I'm so tired of RAM!!! Wins every comparison, wins all the awards and now wins tailgate wars!! UGH!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Wonder if this will be available on more than 5% of their trucks?

Did anybody see the Colorado won MT mid size shootout? Yes I said Colorado, not Silverado. Silverado and win are like oil and water. They just don't mix.

This is not a good idea.

Posted by: Jack | Feb 6, 2019 7:49:35 AM

I agree, where the two barn doors join/re-latch will be the first to go with wear/tear & start rattling. Just another gimmick setup for more things to go wrong down the road with RAM's skeptical quality issues...

I have a 1995 Suburban with rear barn doors (50/50 split). With the travel trailer hooked up, AND both trailer and vehicle straight in line, they can both be opened while hooked up. A bit of angle between the vehicle and trailer, and things go south, so I am not sure what to think of the 60/40 split on this design. The Suburban doors will also open 180 degrees, not the 90 degree design of these, so you can actually load something in the back while hooked up.

@greenrover- I agree 100% about questioning durability when used as a "normal" tailgate over time.

@TNT GMC
Yes I see Colorado won MT midsize truck Shootout.
But the girly Honda Ridgeline came in second place over the Ranger and Tacoma. If you had put them in a long haul highway comfort test the Ridgeline would have won.
The off-road king Tacoma came in last in this comparison.
But many people buy it and figure it's the best at everything this show it's not. This is what I always said not a great daily driver vehicle. So many people use it this way and don't go off-road.

Posted by: uh huh | Feb 6, 2019 9:32:39 AM

FIAT TORO build and sold in Brazil has split tailgate in the center for years, no problem.

Wonder if this will be available on more than 5% of their trucks?
Posted by: TNT GMC | Feb 6, 2019 2:47:42 PM

It's available on all 7 trims, not just on one High end model, like GM.

So now the 🤡 puts a space in between my username and thinks he's funny.

Seriously, you have issues wanting and pretending to be someone else.

Childhood deficiency there folks.....

@ RAM

I do agree with you on GMC only offering it on higher trims. They should allow it to be offered on any trim. Ram did a great job offering it in more trims.

Hey FCA,
GMC’s tailgate is way better.
Nice try, but you completely miss it. Sorry!
JIM