See How the 2019 Ram 1500's Split Tailgate Works: Video

By Aaron Bragman

For 2019, GMC surprised the pickup world with its wicked new MultiPro Tailgate feature, which adds a lot of flexibility to the bed of a light-duty pickup. Not so fast, says Ram, which has introduced its own version of a new and improved tailgate: the Ram 1500 Multifunction Tailgate, appearing on 2019 models as a $995 option.

Related: Surprise: 2019 Ram 1500s Get New Split Tailgate

What's it do? It opens flat like a conventional tailgate, but the 60/40-split doors also open outward. Why is this cool? It allows you to load the bed with heavy materials without having to lift them over the lowered tailgate.

Say you're at the hardware store with a full pallet of playground sand for Junior's backyard sandbox. Open your Multifunction Tailgate, trundle the pallet on up to the back of the bed and lift it directly into the bed itself — no more resting them on the tailgate and then having to slide or toss them into the bed itself. It makes access to the bed that much easier. You can also step into the bed with the included fold-away rear step mounted under the bumper.

See the above video for a demonstration of how the new 2019 Ram 1500 Multifunction Tailgate works.

More From PickupTrucks.com:

Comments

Good stuff. Not sure about the price tag, but still good stuff.

Wow almost 1K... I thought 375 was a bit stiff for a hide away handle and step even though I was willing to pay it.

Seems like a lot for easier access...

Its nice getting so close to the bed itself but 75 additional lbs and $1K and I'm pretty sure you can forget about removing (at least easily) the tailgate that now weighs a ton if you do take it off. No GMC commercial fantasy of carrying this one in to trade. In its split configuration it also seems that the tail gate could be very vulnerable to damage. Also how wide is the opening? I'm sure its at least 48" but is it right at 48 or a few more that would give a $8.00 an hour home depot fork lift jockey a prayer of not damaging it while loading a pallet of pavers? Especially since you cant just take the whole thing off and lift it away easily and quickly.

I'm gonna have to wait and see how this pans out as there are pros and cons.

@clint

could not have said it better myself. The average (un-enhanced) tailgate on a truck can be "deleted" by the owner-operator in less than sixty seconds, at least on my own truck anyway. Not sure how much utility is achieved with these sparkly objects.

I know it has a bumper, but if close the doors in reverse order it's going to cause damage. It's like the annoyance of rear hinged doors on extended cab trucks.

For me the current best gate option is the standard GM tailgate with the EZ lift-lower and the bumper corner steps.
If they could make the multipro mechanical operation instead of all electronic it would entice me a little more. As far as fancy options go, the MultiPro is the winner. Can't compete with the full width step and ability to accessorize with flood flights or BT speakers.

I can't foresee too many scenarios where the split tailgate would prove worth the cost but do think it would have been better execution of design to have the two pieces or tailgate double hinged so they would get out of the way when using the feature. They just don't look to open far enough for a scenario where two guys are lifting something into the truck, there's not enough room between the two sections to have decent room to maneuver.

I like the idea, but I do no like the seam line. Looks awkward

You'd be right. Not many.

No GMC commercial fantasy of carrying this one in to trade. In its split configuration it ......

Posted by: Clint | Mar 4, 2019 7:33:50 AM

I'm sure the 60 /40 pieces individually are more manageable to carry.

Bloomberg had a article Friday about FCA truck sales

Maybe the next gen will address the 60/40 split and do a 50/50. That panel gap is hideous on that tailgate. Maybe the second gen will also allow either door to open first versus what has to happen here. Maybe the next gen will address the limited opening and swing open at least 180 degrees. 270 degrees would be the ultimate as you could open the gate and back up to a loading dock.

You'd be right. Not many.
Posted by: papajim | Mar 4, 2019 8:37:05 AM

I don't think it's because of the tailgate that they aren't selling as well as they like. It's because people are conditioned to what a truck should be.

They're going to love selling these to all the body shops!

I think this would be more useful on a daily basis than the GMC's. I don't see people climbing into the bed as often as I see people reaching into the bed. Having the bed open sideways makes for a better access.

I have the Silverado with the bumper corner steps and must say it has never been easier to get access to the bed than using those bumper steps. The corner steps require no set- up or storage and because it is lower than the man step , the corner steps offer a more stable access and egress. Having said that, the only other access to bed solution is the GM multipro tailgate.

Rattle
And
Maintain

I agree with GMSRGREAT with the bumper steps. Very innovative and useful.

I really like this idea like I said before, but why not just have the tailgate open up sideways. Just have the entire tailgate swing open around 270 degrees or more. Then you wouldn't have a seam line or anything else. Make it out of aluminum for weight savings, and with a spray in bed liner for durability.

Hey, GUESS WHO? started All of this well yeah you guess right FORD. Other manufacturers always following the leader, FORD.

Bloomberg had a article Friday about FCA truck sales
Posted by: K5 | Mar 4, 2019

@k5

whatever you do, don't mention it to Jeff S. He'll call you every evil name under the sun!

I think a good number of people will find this to be a useful option. Reminds me of station wagon door gates.

Really? Then doesn’t ford have a special tailgate option? All they have is the hidden ladder, which basically no one uses because it takes too much time to open up. So no they really didn’t start this up, technically, Honda started it up with the tailgate on the ridge line, the. GMC released their multipro tailgate which mind you can only be put on the top of the line Denali, then Ram with the 60/40 which makes more sense and can be equppied on any truck come spring time. Plus with the Ram you can actually open the tailgate with a trailer attached, you can’t do that with the GMC one because it would just hit the crank used to raise and lower the trailer, that is if you have a trailer where the crank doesn’t fold down and not all of them do.

@ aiden

The multi-pro tailgate is available on the SLT trim as well. Not just the Denali. Nice try.

Stopped and looked at an SLT premium plus package this weekend. Buy these new GM trucks are Huge! They make my 18 look small and my 98 look like a midsize.

I wish it was available, when I was buying 2019 RAM 1500 in October.
I would gladly pay $1k for this option to handle my heavy toolbox easy, several times daily.

these new GM trucks are Huge! They make my 18 look small...Posted by: TNTGMC | Mar 4, 2019

@TNTGMC

You are CORRECT sir! The half ton trucks have gotten so big that the Big 3 are in a box---do you make the HD's even bigger or do you just drop the 3/4 ton models altogether? The payload ratings on half ton trucks have gotten so big that you have to wonder if a HD is even needed for anyone who doesn't need to haul a really heavy trailer.

@ papajim

I truly was astonished when I parked my 18 next to the new 19. GM has really made this new truck LARGER in every way. And to be able to keep the FE numbers the same or a little better is astonishing to me!

I will add this, that I have looked at the trucks before, but until I had my 18 park next to it, I never thought twice about the size.

I'd advise anyone looking at them to park them next to each other. Ram trucks too. There was one at the clinic I was at and it also was huge compared to my GMC.

Eventually, construction workers are going to have to rethink their building styles on garages, bc already most HD trucks won't fit into standard sized garages, and these new 2019 trucks will be really close.

They're still 79.x inches wide. It's all in the angles.

@ uh huh

If you own a truck?? Go park yours next to a new GM or Ram truck. It will make you say WOW!

This looks to be a more practical solution than GMC's gimmicky tailgate. I've seen a few of the new Sierras near the harbor hauling aluminum sheets and wood and neither of them made use of the Multipro. They had the sheets and plywood hanging out like any other pickup.

They had the sheets and plywood hanging out like any other pickup.

Posted by: Real Man | Mar 4, 2019 3:26:07 PM

Another example of how only the Silverado corner steps would still allow one to gain access to the bed.

Posted by: Chingon | Mar 4, 2019 10:58:43 AM

Haha! I'm pretty sure if GM hadn't obtained the corner step first, Ford would not have to had to go with a tailgate step. So who offered better access to the truck bed first? Answer: GM.

Yeah FORD started it all with a built in tailgate step. Howie made fun of it but GM makes fun of a lot of things everyone else thought of and they wind up with. Then they get defended. How stupid. Now they see Ram has upped em again. And GM's bumper steppes are stupid. Older folks cant use them and if your shoe are muddy and wet look out. What a bunch of losers.

@ truck frame

Have u ever used them?

I go boating every weekend during summer and I have never slipped with my water shoes on while using the most cost effective and innovative feature added to the rear end of a truck in a long time

Never slipped while using it in winter with snow on boots. I think u struggling for air.....come up out from the covers and see the light.

Btw....those steps are closer to the ground then the Ford bumper step. No moving either.

Ram has a nice feature. Fix the seam. And open wider

I think this is a nice option. No more jumping off the back of the tailgate and hurting my ankles, I can simply step down to the bumper and then down.

lets see the tailgate open and close when the truck has some articulation

Innovative tailgate is standard on Ridgeline.

Papajim has to bring up the Ridgeline and his hatred for it on an article about Ram. Just upsets papajim that Ram could possibly take the No 2 spot from Silverado. Is papa paid by GM to come on this site and slam any truck that is not made by GM? What is GM paying you papajim? You can prefer GM trucks without going out of your way to slam every other brand or those who like Fords or Rams. Again what are you being paid papajim? It is hard for me to believe you are not getting something out of this besides bullying people you have to be getting financial remuneration.

Gimmicky useless tailgate!

The "other" Jeff S is back. Evidently the one from Australia is seeing his attempts to post on this site blocked by moderators or perhaps by the web security software.

Once you have been blacklisted by enough web sites your profile ends up on the dreaded offenders list and you get blocked.

Au Revoir, BAFO

Older folks cant use them and if your shoe are muddy and wet look out.

Posted by: Truck frame | Mar 4, 2019 5:14:59 PM

Why can't older folks use the corner steps, is there some law against that? If your shoes are muddy and wet, what should you be looking out for, trench foot?

AT GMSRJUNK SO WHAT ARE YOU TELLING ME IS THAT GARBAGE MOTORS INVENTED THE TAILGATE STEP. I THINK YOUR ARE WRONG BOY. WHAT GARBAGE MOTORS INVENTED WAS THE STUPID, USELESS, BUMPER STEPS NOT THE TAILGATE STEP. SO NICE TRY SLICK. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. MAYBE NEXT TIME HOMEBOY!!!!!

Posted by: Chingon | Mar 4, 2019 11:30:29 PM

Hey there little fella, maybe you should enrole into some english speaking classes, then your reading and comprehension skills may improve. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No way that tailgate is going to last if the truck is used like a truck. Especially since FCA is building it.

"does anybody notice how few buyers ran out and picked up a Ridgeline when they offered their bi-directional tailgate? No???
You'd be right. Not many." ---- Posted by: papajim

--- How would you know? It looks the same as the conventional tailgate.

The problem with the Ram tailgate is when you are not parked perfectly level, the tailgate doors will swing to the downhill side, needing someone to hold it so it doesn't slam closed.

@Vulpine--Agree, the Ridgeline tailgate doesn't look much different. This is just another excuse for papajim to bash the Ridgeline. I read the article I didn't see any comparison of the Ridgeline's tailgate to the Ram's. Do you still like your Colorado?

How would you know? It looks the same as the conventional tailgate...Posted by: Vulpine | Mar 5, 2019

I was trying to make the point that gimmicky tailgate designs probably will not boost the sales of a model that is destined to lay an egg.

I doubt that I would spend even an extra fifty bucks to gain extra tailgate functionality. I'll either take it off, or leave it on. Hard to imagine otherwise. I certainly would not make a buying decision about Brand A or Brand B based on a gimmick like that.

@Papajim, I bet you don't spend 50 bucks. I would spend 2000 to get the the extra functionality of this tailgate. It greatly inhances the functionality of the truck.

This could be a good option for someone loading and unloading heavy items by hand. With a bed cover this would make an excellent option for some types of service work.

@Tim

Did you buy a Ridgeline by any chance?

Their tailgate design really created a buzz when it came out. Ditto for their clever compartment in the truck bed.

Would you overlook the main features of a truck in order to obtain the specific tailgate features we're discussing here?

Posted by: Jeff s | Mar 4, 2019 9:42:04 PM

Why are you calling out papajim for brand favoritism? What about Clint, Just The Truth, Frank, redbloodedxy, lionel, chingon, etc. They devote their entire time here to making negative comments about GM trucks. The vast majority of those comments are excessively negative, clearly biased, and almost always untrue and without merit.

Home | Buy a Truck | News | Special Reports